RAF works with gay-rights group to recruit more gay airmen

posted at 5:38 am on December 31, 2006 by see-dubya

Rainbow warriors:

The Royal Air Force has called in a gay pressure group to help solve its recruitment crisis. The Service will take advice from Stonewall on how to make itself more attractive to homosexual and bisexual men and women, and is aiming to spend tens of thousands of pounds on advertising in the “pink” media.

As part of the initiative, the RAF will pay Stonewall an undisclosed sum to join its “Diversity Champions” programme, under which commanders have to demonstrate the Service’s commitment to implementing a range of policies to promote “lesbian, gay and bisexual (LGB) equality in the workplace”.

That news ought to really stoke the RAF’s morale.

RAF Poster

Comments

So many jokes come to mind…but that would just be so insensitive.

flipflop on December 31, 2006 at 6:27 AM

flipflop… I’ll walk off that plank.

1) Old movie above renamed: A Reach-Around in the R.A.F.
2) I specifcally requested an eJection seat.
3) Flying in the seat of his pants.

OK, I’m done.

SailorDave on December 31, 2006 at 7:57 AM

Why can’t these morons handle the fact that maybe homosexuals aren’t all that interested in becoming pilots? I remember seeing a television program years ago where a private school were training young girls to become well-aware of a computer, due to the lack of females in the IT industry. I personally dont’ see any purpose of it because if women or men want to do something, they shouldn’t need to go to some “special” school for it. If anything, it divides us and makes us look different.

Another strike for homosexuals in this.

MarkyX on December 31, 2006 at 8:35 AM

and what I mean “special school”, I mean something that only caters to that gender or behavior, not post-secondary stuff.

MarkyX on December 31, 2006 at 8:37 AM

SailorDave –

What? No cockpit joke?

flipflop on December 31, 2006 at 8:53 AM

I was steering clear of the ones that were too obvious. I might have had four jokes, but I couldn’t work out a nexus for payload/money-shot.

SailorDave on December 31, 2006 at 9:04 AM

Heh…there was a DJ in the DC area some years back who used the word “tailgunner” as his euphemism of choice.

There’s plenty of joke material here for anyone who wants to compile a list of suggested slogans for this recruiting campaign.

flipflop on December 31, 2006 at 9:09 AM

We also need Broke back mountain included on airplane’s movie list as a substitute to hardcore movies like scarface. Diversity is great. Siting with your fellow gay man and discussing the philosophical impact of Broke back mountain is even greater.

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 9:36 AM

How about they try to recruit the best pilots, and not the most diverse pilots for a change. You know, because I thought national defense was actually something important, and not a place for progressive social engineering… *rolleyes*

Wired German on December 31, 2006 at 9:37 AM

It is pretty well known that the military is pretty much anti-gay. This being the case, why would a gay person voluntarily subject him/herself to this environment? It is right up thee with a black person wanting to join the Ku Klux Klan. If it is going to happen, it must be popularly accepted within the military. To force it upon the unwilling will only create problems. Anything that creates problems that can interfer with the mission, cost lives, or otherwise impede the functioning of the troops cannot be tolerated.

DAT60A3 on December 31, 2006 at 9:47 AM

What, the RAF needs an interior decorater? Someone to design spiffy new uniforms? A new hairstylist? Damn, I had a few more but now I forget.

Tony737 on December 31, 2006 at 9:52 AM

As the saying goes: “The only traditions of the Royal Navy are rum, sodomy and the lash.”

Apparently this now applys to the Royal Air Force as well.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

liberrocky on December 31, 2006 at 10:08 AM

When was the last time the R.A.F tried to recruit more islamists into their ranks???

Perhaps they should recruit a few hundred of the “disenfranchised” yutes, teach them how to fly and drop bombs.

This would SURELY prove how diverse the R.A.F is.

Fwance should do the same.

Talon on December 31, 2006 at 10:11 AM

DAT60A3 on December 31, 2006 at 9:47 AM

In all fairness they arent forcing gays to join any more than military recruiters force high school students to join the Army. They are just encouraging them to join.

SnakeintheGrass on December 31, 2006 at 10:18 AM

They’re just tryin’ to be like the Royal Navy!

Tony737 on December 31, 2006 at 10:29 AM

Sorry about that, Rocky, I didn’t see your Navy post. ooooops

Tony737 on December 31, 2006 at 10:33 AM

Tony737: No Problem.

liberrocky on December 31, 2006 at 10:36 AM

they totally left out the transgendereds. What a bunch of bigots.

One Angry Christian on December 31, 2006 at 10:46 AM

Penny loafers are cheaper than combat boots.

infidel on December 31, 2006 at 10:56 AM

Y’know as America’s number one ally, this is disturbing to me, not the gay recruitment part, but the indication that the RAF is so lacking in their usual recruitment arenas that they are moving toward “diversity” to fill their ranks. We’re in for a long hard slog of a war with these Islamic idiots and this is sure going to make shared commands interesting.

Texas Gal on December 31, 2006 at 10:57 AM

If you think about the mentality that is taking over western civilization to some extent the militant muslims are right. We are practically begging to be desstroy or subjugated.

We hate ourselves. We insult and destroy our own heritage and institutions. We give more credit to our enemies than to those who defend us, and we welcome with open arms in the name of “diversity” those who want us dead.

That just screams “kill me and take my land”.

People in the western world are, in my opinion, so full of themselves, and overwhelmed by the pseudo importance of their trivial emotions that they have allowed themselves to be painted into a corner.

We won’t join the military because we might get hurt, and more prominently we don’t want to be told what to do. We won’t have kids because we hate our world, and more importantly we don’t want the responsibility.

If there are two things that I can point my finger at directly that are destroying wester civ it’s hatred of moral authority and hatred of individual responsibility for one’s self.

The worship of self (or as the media calls it “individuality”) is at the center of the new age movement, secularism, and … (this’ll sound far fetched but if you’ve studied it you know what I’m talking about) Satanism. The worship of self destroys one’s ability to be beneficial to anyone … which in the end destroys one’s ability to defend one’s self.

Everyone is selfish to some degree. This much is true, but western civ has taken it to a whole new level, and between being out numbered because we don’t want to be responsible for dealing with kids, and the lack of will to be responsible for our own defense we are being out maneuvered and out willed.

They might be in the wrong, but they are certainly better equipped in many aspects.

Sad, but true. ah, again with the Metalica title.

One Angry Christian on December 31, 2006 at 11:15 AM

I want to be clear about one thing. This mentality is taking over the western civ. Not everyone prescribes to it, but the main reason imo it is growing like a cancer through out our society is the proliferation of the media which loves it, grows it, and esteems it. The media that reaches into every persons home, sells them American Idol, and belittles self sacrifice in any way shape or form as “bad for the self”.

I don’t hate America or western civilization. I just think we’re really sick, and if we don’t do something about it we’re seriously doomed.

One Angry Christian on December 31, 2006 at 11:18 AM

Wow. This gives an entirely new meaning when your wingman warns “Check six!”

rmgraha on December 31, 2006 at 11:24 AM

It’s a good thing I wasn’t drinking anything when I saw that poster. Either SeeDub completely belongs at Hot Air beyond the wildest imagination, or Allah’s having a bad influence on him. :)

Anwyn on December 31, 2006 at 11:58 AM

I agree with One Angry Christian with his/her ranting about Western civilization, and at risk of being labeled insensitive and cruel…do you think it could be possible to kill all these people, or at least torture them for a while?

Ropera on December 31, 2006 at 12:12 PM

So cloning is cool, but “attempting to balance out a hormonal imbalance” is not?

Iiiiiiiiiiinteresting.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding. Science in the area of understanding homosexuality from a biological perspective has been absolutely stomped by the gay rights movement. It’s homophobic to study that sort of thing, apparently.

What are they affraid might be discovered? I don’t get it. Don’t study me cuz i’m white or you’re a racist!

gag me with a weed whacker.

One Angry Christian on December 31, 2006 at 12:18 PM

My collie told me “You were right about the Brits.”

CyberCipher on December 31, 2006 at 12:37 PM

Coming soon to the Discovery’s Military Channel:
Queer Eye for the RAF Recruiter Guy

Laura on December 31, 2006 at 1:07 PM

I’m sure the phrase “make themselves more attractive to homosexual and bisexual men” was just an unfortunate choice of words.

Scot on December 31, 2006 at 2:09 PM

“I say, Biggles! You’re a pooftah!”
– Monty Python, of course

mojo on December 31, 2006 at 3:15 PM

The last two comments were in the wrong order. It should read more like this:

Coming soon to the Discovery’s Military Channel:
Queer Eye for the RAF Recruiter Guy

Laura on December 31, 2006 at 1:07 PM

Scot on December 31, 2006 at 2:09 PM

Yes. I know. I’m a bad person.

:-)

but you like that about me.

One Angry Christian on December 31, 2006 at 3:22 PM

Enemy pilots will learn to fear the heat-seeking missile coming up from behind.

Then they’ll learn to like it.

:-P

Kralizec on December 31, 2006 at 3:36 PM

Hands off gay sheep!

“Wyton/Alconbury RAF, Lima Golf Bravo Tango, request for landing”

“Lima Golf Bravo Tango, clear to land”

LGBT “Roger”

Entelechy on December 31, 2006 at 3:58 PM

Hands off gay sheep!

Entelechy on December 31, 2006 at 3:58 PM

ROFLMAO! Great link Entelechy. I can’t wait until the militant animal rights activists see THIS science report. Who do you suppose will win the race to protest? Them or the so-called “gay” community.

CyberCipher on December 31, 2006 at 4:35 PM

One things for sure, “scientists” will now officially be on the Kos Kidz hit list, along with Christians and neo-cons.

CyberCipher on December 31, 2006 at 4:40 PM

The airforce is total bastion of hetrosexuality.

If it wasn’t, I’m sure we’d have seen certain homoerotic undertones in the film Top Gun.

er…

uptight on December 31, 2006 at 5:15 PM

uptight, Top Gun was Navy. There are already so many jokes extant I don’t NEED to repeat any here!

As to the RAF, does this mean that their delightful habits in the field (topless female sunbathers and co-ed shower facilities) are going to change? I remember in Kuwait my guys would always volunteer to do TRAM runs (a type of hybrid forklift/front end loader) over by the British side of the camp because the cab was nearly ten feet in the air and offered prime opportunities for “eyeball liberty.” Yes, I know, we’re all degenerate perverts, but that may soon be a fond memory of a time when joint service with the RAF was something to look forward too. God knows I’d work with that bunch again in a heartbeat (and not just for the girls. The RAF knows how to work hard AND play hard).

Militant Bibliophile on December 31, 2006 at 5:27 PM

Everyone full of New Year’s Cheer already?

Surprised this wasn’t posted. S’ok, cause I get to be useful for once.

Yeah, it’s army, but who can tell with the Brits?

TheSev on December 31, 2006 at 7:18 PM

God Queen Save the Queen!

mikeyboss on January 1, 2007 at 10:50 AM