Video: Saddam’s execution uncut; Update: Translation added; Update: Buried in Tikrit

posted at 6:21 pm on December 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

As usual, Rusty Shackleford Vinnie comes through with the vid. Obviously this wasn’t shot by the official Iraqi cameraman: he was up on the platform with Saddam and using a real lens, not a cell phone. This probably was taken by one of the Shiite witnesses, who passed it along to the Sadrists for dissemination on the web.

I don’t know whose bright idea it was to let three punks in leather jackets and balaclavas take care of business instead of the Iraqi army, but the more I watch it, the more it looks like a hit instead of a state execution. This doesn’t help either:

The room was quiet as everyone began to pray, including Mr. Hussein. “Prayers be upon Mohammed and his holy family.”

Two guards added, “Supporting his son Moktada, Moktada, Moktada.”

Mr. Hussein seemed a bit stunned, swinging his head in their direction.

They were talking about Moktada al-Sadr, the firebrand cleric whose militia is now committing some of the worst violence in the sectarian fighting; he is the son of a revered Shiite cleric, Muhammad Sadiq al-Sadr, who many believe Mr. Hussein had murdered.

“Moktada?” he spat out, a mix between sarcasm and disbelief.

You can hear that in the video if you listen closely. It sounds like he laughs after he says it.

His family’s going to bury him in Ramadi, ground zero of the Sunni insurgency, ostensibly to prevent Shiites from desecrating his grave but actually to give the local barbarians a little inspiration. It’ll work, too.

Looks like he went pretty quickly.

Update: Red on red.

Saddam rejected an offer of dinner, a cooked chicken, and asked only for a copy of the Koran. By 1am, all he wanted to do was sleep.

But his guards, all members of the dominant Shia Sciri party, had other ideas. One in particular, nicknamed Ali the Butcher, intended to make a hell of Saddam’s last night on earth. “They were making jokes about Saddam,” another guard who spoke to those on duty told The Sunday Telegraph. “Ali the Butcher had the rope they would hang him with, and he was telling Saddam ‘It’s waiting for you, it’s waiting for you’.

“The guards were dancing in front of him. When Saddam tried to sleep, they were going in, every 30 minutes. They said, ‘We didn’t let him sleep. We destroyed his personality’.”

Update: Degenerate clown George Galloway vows revenge for his old pal.

Saddam, whom Galloway met before he was ousted in the 2003 US-led invasion, “managed quite predictably, if you knew anything about him, to show rather more dignity in these circumstances than those who were hanging him.”…

“I promise you this,” Galloway warned the call-in chat show. “The film of the execution of Saddam Hussein this morning will live in infamy and will haunt those who directed it for the remainder of their lives.”

Update: Like I said: a hit, not an execution.

The Dawa party is Maliki’s party. The symbolic message here won’t be lost on either side, I’m sure.

There’s a map of the execution site at Iraqslogger.

Update: Zeyad has a translation of the video (Saddam’s real last words were the shahada) and comments: “It utterly disgusts me that Sadr’s supporters have infiltrated every level of the state, and that the witnesses, including Iraqi government officials, have made this look like a sectarian issue. They were doomed to repeat Iraqi history by hanging their former oppressor and labeling it as justice. In a perfect situation, Saddam’s execution would have united Iraqis, but thanks to the actions of the new Iraqi rulers, it will only serve to divide further. I doubt any of them will prevail as much as Saddam did, though.”

Update: Never mind the earlier report about Ramadi. They put him in the family plot in Tikrit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good riddance. Burn the corpse, scatter at sea. No monuments, thanks.

mojo on December 30, 2006 at 6:27 PM

ALLLLLOOOOO FOOOOOKKKKIIIIIIINNNNNNNN AAAAAAKKKKKKBBBBAAAAAAR

iam7545 on December 30, 2006 at 6:40 PM

Worst. Camerawork. Ever.

Watcher on December 30, 2006 at 6:40 PM

Pretty eerie shot of him swinging with his neck broke. It would be nice if, upon entering the next world, every single victim of his was waiting for him to administer a little justice to his soul.

They should take the body, cut it up and make it into urinal cakes, and let him be slowly dissolved away as people piss on him.

Mallard T. Drake on December 30, 2006 at 6:42 PM

I thought it was a fine video.

The camera work and lighting was weak, but the subject and action more than made up for it.

Christoph on December 30, 2006 at 6:45 PM

Two things..to bad the camera person was worthless..and they didnt have the rope just lonnnnnnng enough for his toes to touch the ground so he couls suffer BIG TIME.

davy on December 30, 2006 at 6:45 PM

Yeah, what the fuck was that all about? The entire event looked like a badly acted Quentin Tarantino scene.

Laughable.

Martin on December 30, 2006 at 6:58 PM

We make executions here in the US too sterile.

GT on December 30, 2006 at 7:03 PM

AP, you’re right. They couldn’t let anyone else in there besides Mook’s goons? I wish I could tell those sonsofb-tches that Mook is next.

Chris L. on December 30, 2006 at 7:05 PM

I see no problem with how this was carried out. His death was faster than the death of thousands of people he murdered and much more humaine than he deserved. He is in hell now being eaten by worms.

jman on December 30, 2006 at 7:09 PM

Darn spell checker.

His death was more humanethan he deserved.

jman on December 30, 2006 at 7:23 PM

One for display at the Arts.

It’s a beautiful thing.

Texyank on December 30, 2006 at 7:25 PM

It shows the “drop” well. That is crucial for the Iraqi people.

HerrMorgenholz on December 30, 2006 at 7:37 PM

Worst. Camerawork. Ever.

Watcher on December 30, 2006 at 6:40 PM

I agree. We have conspiracy theorists (that was saddam. it doesn’t show him dying) to appease. No scratching your ass during a historic video, please.

lorien1973 on December 30, 2006 at 7:41 PM

Not bad for a cell phone. Hopefully they’ll release the official HD tape soon.

Also, the skin tone of the leather jacket guys was pretty light. Probably just because of the lighting in the room and the camera, but maybe they were Americans and just using the Sadr stuff to appear Iraqi?

Scot on December 30, 2006 at 7:44 PM

Ding dong the witch is dead!

RD on December 30, 2006 at 7:49 PM

Looks pretty much like an instant death to me. Way better than he deserved. Absolutely horrible camera work though. I’m hoping for the release of the “good” video soon (with english subtitles per conversation). Good riddance you bastard.

Guardian on December 30, 2006 at 8:06 PM

The conspiracy theories begin.

JayHaw Phrenzie on December 30, 2006 at 8:15 PM

I posted this at Jawa, not Rusty Shackleford.

I get no respect, I tell ya!!!!!

Vinnie on December 30, 2006 at 8:20 PM

Worst. Camerawork. Ever.

The video that takes the bold step of not including the audience.

Shadow on December 30, 2006 at 8:26 PM

How is what i said a conspiracy theory? People were asking about the guys in the leather jackets and i made an observation about it. Had nothing to do with conspiracies. I don’t care who killed Saddam, i’m just glad he’s dead.

Scot on December 30, 2006 at 8:34 PM

The best reporting on this so far:

However, the impact of this video could be quite significant. First, it will reinforce Sunni suspicions that the execution of Saddam was merely an act of Shiite revenge for decades of repression under Saddam. The building where the execution took place was expressly chosen because it was once used as a detention center by a division of Saddam’s secret police that was focused on the Shiite Dawa party. Some of the witnesses whom the government invited to the execution had themselves once been tortured in that same building. Indeed, Prime Minister Maliki, who signed the execution order the day before the hanging, is a long-term member of the Dawa party and had himself been sentenced to death by Saddam back in 1980 before fleeing the country.

Worse, it will also reinforce the fears of Sunnis that Maliki’s government is beholden to the Mahdi army, Moqtada’s militia. Executions are generally expected to be solemn affairs –- certainly not opportunities for thugs to score some final sectarian points before the “enemy” is disposed of. The video itself seems quite distasteful –- but it is informative to the extent that it reveals the political baggage that the current government carries on its shoulders. It does not add up to a pretty picture.

From an ABC news reporter of all people.

Christoph on December 30, 2006 at 8:44 PM

Looks like this was taken by Michael Fox on a cell phone.

Wade on December 30, 2006 at 8:49 PM

Don’t complain about the “camera work.” This was taken with a cell phone by one of the witnesses. Thus the low quality resolution and the much moving around. I’m surprised he was allowed to do it (or didn’t get caught).

I’m sure the actual video footage will be much higher quality, but will we ever see it?

firegeezer on December 30, 2006 at 8:56 PM

Despite an inevitably stong BO, I predict this won’t win the best foreign language film oscar.

Squid Vicious on December 30, 2006 at 9:02 PM

How is what i said a conspiracy theory?

but maybe they were Americans and just using the Sadr stuff to appear Iraqi?

JayHaw Phrenzie on December 30, 2006 at 9:04 PM

Wade is a bad person. :)

JayHaw Phrenzie on December 30, 2006 at 9:05 PM

He looked pretty dead at 2:26. Any idea what happened? Maybe this explains the appearance of blood on his face and the shroud that was seen in previous photographs.

paranoid on December 30, 2006 at 9:07 PM

Again, what is conspiratorial about that? I’d rather have Americans kill Saddam than some Sadr stooges.

Scot on December 30, 2006 at 9:09 PM

1st off I think the same person filmed the Blair Witch!
2nd I find it strange that someone filmed the thing in front of everyone and no one stopped them. It is the execution no doubt, it’s just doesn’t seem right!!

Fandango on December 30, 2006 at 9:10 PM

apparently this is what happened:

After just a minute, his body was still. His eyes still were open but he was dead. Despite the scarf, the rope cut a gash into his neck.

from the NYT article allah linked above

paranoid on December 30, 2006 at 9:16 PM

Pretty weak. Looks like they were afraid to do it and had to go to some abandoned warehouse with crappy lights and hired an epileptic to shoot that footage. This was a government exectution?

What do I know, maybe it will play better in Iraqi culture, but that seemed very lame.

Dash on December 30, 2006 at 9:25 PM

I’m annoyed.

I wasn’t in Afghanistan for Osama’s capture (since it hasn’t happened yet). And now, I’ve missed out on Saddam’s death.

As important an event as this is to many Iraqis who lost family to this monster, I would of handled the execution much differently.

I would of had it in a huge public arena like a soccer stadium, and invited as many people who lost family members as could fill the stadium.

Of course, it would of been a security nightmare, but I think the victims and Iraq deserve more than a thuggish execution done in a secluded location.

Never the less, I’m not about to shed a tear for Saddam. He’s dead, he can’t hurt anyone else, and that’s what matters the most.

Saddam Hussein Abd al-Majid al-Tikriti
April 28, 1937 – Dec 30, 2006

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 30, 2006 at 9:36 PM

Take note: there were no panties on the heads of convicted criminals, terrorists or murderers; no whips; no female attendants.

Likewise, there were no hooded monsters with large knives to cut the crying heads from the innocent, kidnapped journalists of the Wall Street Journal.

Make no mistake. You see the pure wrath of a death sentence here — for someone responsible for the cruel deaths of thousands of citizens of his realm. The beast is gone, and he was a beast. A monster. Maybe not quite a Hitler or a Stalin, but he was up there.

Time will show the MSM will grow fond of this man after his passing.

SJBill on December 30, 2006 at 9:58 PM

Um, the only thing worse than the camera work was the rope work. Haven’t been to many hangin’s but I’m pretty sure the big coily knot goes in the back, not the front. No idiot tries to strangle someone from the back of the spine. Also it looked like they put the noose around the collar of his wool coat. Add dissing even an evil man’s dying prayer and I think we have a real botch job. His head should be looking down, not up. I’d have been fine with a grenade down the spider-hole. Why go through the whole trial then have Iranian stooges turn it into their own clueless lynching? I’ll bet our military in charge of assuring fair execution may get some questions I’m sorry to say.

Buck Turgidson on December 30, 2006 at 10:38 PM

Great entertainment. You guys should also buy a rubber doll of Saddam and dance around it.

Ouabam on December 30, 2006 at 10:48 PM

So now Saddam is the new Tom Dooley…

…”hang down you head and cry…

…poor boy, you’re gonna die”

Janos Hunyadi on December 30, 2006 at 11:02 PM

I am a little pissed that Maliki let Sadr’s goons into this event. Maliki needs to grow a pair. Is he in charge of Iraq or is Sadr the one pulling the strings? Sadr represents the type of sectarianism we are trying to quell. That vid will not play well with the Sunnis. They are going to think that this is what Sadr wants for all of them.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 30, 2006 at 11:05 PM

Saddam’s last words:

“Help me Jesus!”

x95b10 on December 30, 2006 at 11:06 PM

Ouabam on December 30, 2006 at 10:48 PM

Gladly.

Saddam was a devil. Do you wish the man was alive? Good for you. I’m glad he’s dead. I only wish he’d suffered more. At least he was hanged as a filthy thug.

spmat on December 30, 2006 at 11:10 PM

Killing him now does not make any sense. We are not in Iraq for entertainment.We came there to minimize the Islamic fasicist’ threat. A few more dead troops might not concern you because you do not have a family member fighting in Iraq. He should been forced to make peace with his people. I will never wish death for a fellow human being even if the person mudered my entire family. I will pray that the person change. Revenge is a circle of unending events.

Ouabam on December 30, 2006 at 11:21 PM

Its not entertainment, “Ouabam”: it’s necessity . He needed to die, and be shown dead, as was the case with other mass murderers who used the power of government to slaughter their opponents

You give yourself away: people like you hate Bush and the American military so much you reflexively sympathize with sociopathic mass murderers. You have a disease: get help

Janos Hunyadi on December 30, 2006 at 11:25 PM

As for hating Bush and the military, I don’t know where that came from. Bush is the important president that American ever had. Through Bush, Americans will reevaluate their world and history. 3000 troops dying is nothing compared to other’s wars. I am just against the death penalty. I don’t think that it necessarily achieves its aim. That’s just me.

Ouabam on December 30, 2006 at 11:34 PM

Does a “hitman” humanely put a scarf around the condemned’s neck before putting the noose around their neck?

“Like I said: more like a hit than an execution.”

Wow… just like reading CNN’s website. I’m shocked.

How about a little context Allahpundit Akbar?

Maybe a little more reflection on the VICTIMS like the babies with bullets put into their heads by Saddam Hussein?

Good riddance to Saddam Hussein.

angryamerican on December 30, 2006 at 11:36 PM

Too bad no one could change that guy. Death or rotting someplace (looks like he got both) is all you can do with someone like him. Its ashame it took this long and so many lives.

johnnyU on December 30, 2006 at 11:46 PM

I don’t have any idea what you’re talking about Ouabam. Being against the death penalty is a little silly when put in this reference frame. Basically, if you’re here to make a point, you picked the wrong time. If any human being deserves to hang from a gibbet, it’s the bastard Saddam. If you have family in Iraq, as you are so keen to castigate others for not having, perhaps you’d best keep your bloody mouth shut in this case, given that your family members are probably killing less deserving humans in the interest of justice.

To wit, just shut up.

spmat on December 30, 2006 at 11:53 PM

forget about it guys. Let him just die. No more theories.

I hope you guys are happy now.

Ouabam on December 30, 2006 at 11:55 PM

Most terribly happy, thanks.

spmat on December 31, 2006 at 12:03 AM

I hope you guys are happy now.

We’re not happy, and your lame stupid insults won’t deter or distract from doing whatever is necessary to capture and execute others who need the same treatment

We’re relieved that this piece of sh*t is finally dead, and so cannot serve as any sort of rallying point for other mass murderers.

The fact that his death saddens you is telling; it marks you permanently as someone who cannot be taken seriously

Janos Hunyadi on December 31, 2006 at 12:06 AM

The easy way out is to say that no one dies… Ever. No matter how evil they are. The reality is that, by killing the worst of the worst, less innocents may die in the future.

Just one less evil rotten monster in the world, and so the level of human decency rises a notch. Good riddance.

RalphyBoy on December 31, 2006 at 12:06 AM

Janos Hunyadi on December 31, 2006 at 12:06 AM

I knew that I will get this response, but I wanted this to be a forum on the real impact of killing notorious murderers.
Well, I tried to get responsible reactions.

This is the best reaction.

johnnyU on December 30, 2006 at 11:46 PM

I know I did not insult anybody. You guys are not different from liberals who scream foul when the point of view does not support their own. What can I say? I am not here to change your mind, but I am here to listen to what you guys have to say.

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 12:18 AM

The video has a “Blair Witch Project” aura to it. These guys didn’t waste any time once he was in position that was it. No fanfare. No gracious farewell, just “plop.”

I wonder what Saddam will rule in Hell?

Mojave Mark on December 31, 2006 at 12:27 AM

Who was holding the fraggin cam….my rottweiler?…..

Bad dog…bad dog….

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Limerick on December 31, 2006 at 12:39 AM

I’m not screaming, Ouabam, and the foulness comes from a person who defends a mass murderer. You are unfit to judge who or what is “responsible”

If you are “here to listen”, then STFU and listen. We’ve already heard your sophomoric garbage before–many times

Janos Hunyadi on December 31, 2006 at 12:58 AM

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Catie96706 on December 31, 2006 at 1:13 AM

When you misread my intent, we are no longer arguing, only exchanging insults. I won’t push this further oh smart one–Professor instructing his ignorant sophomore student. I would never SFTU because it is my right. No matter how stupid my ideas are, I will express it. I’m not a single minded a**hole like you. I explore other points of view, B*t*H. Your ignorant attitude would not stop me. It is B*t*Hes like you who go around… F**k you.

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 1:19 AM

Re: Janos’ comment

Hang down your head Mad Saddam
Hang down your head and cry
Hang down your head you madman
Poor boy you got to die

bdfaith on December 31, 2006 at 1:32 AM

I doubt any of them will prevail as much as Saddam did, though.”

What kind of s**t is that? Zeyad needs a reality check!

BTW, I’m not all that convinced about the details. I doubt the US allowed Saddam to be turned over to the Iraqis much beyond the door to the chamber and took his body back into custody as soon as he was pronounced dead. Nor do I put much credance into the “rumors” of the conversations about Sadr. I tend to believe that’s Sadr propoganda.

Texas Gal on December 31, 2006 at 1:36 AM

No matter how stupid my ideas are

…at least you got that part right.

Nice quick transition from “listening” to revealing your actual Troll Purpose, ‘Ouabam’. Outing you is too easy….

Janos Hunyadi on December 31, 2006 at 1:48 AM

Executing Saddam was very neccessary and I don’t think his execution was as botched as it may seem. By our standards the execution seemed unprofessional. However, when you think about it, you begin to realize that there was a message to be had there for everyone. The government of Iraq, elected by it’s people, tried him in a court of law and he was found guilty and summarily executed. This lends much needed credibility to the government. His execution, which was handled with as much if not more respect as any other middle eastern country, also had a few revengeful taunts from those who suffered so greatly under Saddam. That may inflame the Sunni somewhat short term but it will hopefully bring a feeling of “justice served” from his victims. The Sunni will now have to face the fact that Saddam is not going to be liberated somehow and returned to power and there will be no return to the “glory days” for the Sunni. Saddam’s death closes the door on that Sunni dream permanently. It may be that this event may even lower the burner on the sectarian strife and force the Sunni and Shia to negotiate their future. On the other hand, I may be completely wrong and this is just wishing thinking on my part. I guess time will tell…

Guardian on December 31, 2006 at 1:50 AM

Janos Hunyadi on December 31, 2006 at 1:48 AM

This is just semantics. I fulfilled my own purpose, too.

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 1:57 AM

I think we are in agreement here, Guardian. It was a necessary act, however repugnant and politically risky it may be

Janos Hunyadi on December 31, 2006 at 1:59 AM

You sound about eighteen, maybe nineteen. You’re immature; you’re uneducated, and unintelligent. Instead of knowledge, all you have is a loose grouping of mantras–
which all of us have heard many times before

That’s why I should follow my own previously-given advice, and ignore trolls. Despite your well-stated desire to have carnal knowledge of me, I’ll pass

Janos Hunyadi on December 31, 2006 at 2:06 AM

The knot of a noose is placed to the side of the neck in a long-drop hanging, to greatly increase the likelihood of breaking the neck. It is not supposed to be a stragulation death. And if you read all of AP’s post, you’d have read that a black scarf was wound around his neck underneath the noose. It certainly wouldn’t reduce the chance of the neck being broken, but it would diminish the amount of bloodletting caused by tearing the skin.

I’m less than thrilled that this appeared to be little different from the terror executions committed by Al Qaeda, as far as the thuggishness of the whole scenario. I agree with AP, why not the Iraqi military? This event should have been conducted formally, as the trial was. It has an air of being unofficial as seen in the two different videos I’ve watched, and that’a a shame.

What isn’t a shame is, the Butcher finally paid his bill.

Ouabam, you sure turned out to be violent for someone trying to pass as a peacenik. I’ll pray that you change. ;-)

Freelancer on December 31, 2006 at 2:19 AM

I tend to believe that’s Sadr propoganda.

Even if Saddam was not killed, the same argument can be made.
It is not going to possible for him to escape from prison. We have just given them a cause.

They might keep quiet and work their way through power. At the same, use kidnappings and car bombs to keep their dream alive. The main problem is not getting Saddam into power. It is about regaining their reign over Iraq which they have kept for 50 yrs.

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 2:23 AM

ABC News site linked by Christoph said:

Worse, it will also reinforce the fears of Sunnis that…

Was this an opinion piece or a hard news piece? Sure doesn’t look like news reporting to me. Looks more like hopeful speculation on behalf of someone who doesn’t want things to go well over there.

And what’s with all the criticism of the cellphone footage? It’s not as if the guy was hired to be a professional photographer.

To those criticizing the event as a “hit” rather than a State execution: what would’ve appeased you, given the circumstances? A sterile white painted room, executioners in full military uniforms (with faces visible and name badges in plain view) and a brass band playing in the background?

The whole affair is distasteful, as was the sub-human in question. I’m just not sure if there was a “tasteful” way of handling it… not without weeks of preparations that would’ve tipped off the NYT (and therefore every jihadist within a day’s camel ride of the execution site).

Perhaps we should just be thankful it is over and that he didn’t escape. (Didn’t some of the US Cole bombers or some embassy bombers escape their prison a while back?) Anyway, there’s quite enough to worry about over there without nitpicking over how a monster removed from the planet.

Its not as if he was stoned to death by a mob of angry “youths” because he committed adultery, converted to another religion, or drew some cartoons….

Dave Shay on December 31, 2006 at 2:27 AM

Amen

You sound about

eighteen

, maybe nineteen. You’re

immature

; you’re

uneducated

, and unintelligent. Instead of knowledge, all you have is a

loose grouping of mantras

which all of us have heard many times before

Oh smart one, I will take your advice. And I will get an education in the school that you choose for me. How does that sound?

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 2:34 AM

I am constantly surprised by the new levels of scumbaggery George Galloway is able to achieve.

greggish on December 31, 2006 at 2:40 AM

What isn’t a shame is, the Butcher finally paid his bill…

Freelancer on December 31, 2006 at 2:19 AM

I agree with you Freelancer. The Sadr’s guys thing bugs me.

I’m still thankful for three things:

- Saddam is not lingering in the Hague,
- Ceauşescu got company now, and
- anything George Galloway condemns must not be bad.

Entelechy on December 31, 2006 at 2:49 AM

We make executions here in the US too sterile.

And too slow. I liked how the Iraqi judge says, “Within 30 days,” and a few days later, Saddam’s swinging. Wish we could get some action like that for Mumia Abu Jamal …

Ali-Bubba on December 31, 2006 at 3:35 AM