Video: Saddam’s execution uncut; Update: Translation added; Update: Buried in Tikrit

posted at 6:21 pm on December 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

As usual, Rusty Shackleford Vinnie comes through with the vid. Obviously this wasn’t shot by the official Iraqi cameraman: he was up on the platform with Saddam and using a real lens, not a cell phone. This probably was taken by one of the Shiite witnesses, who passed it along to the Sadrists for dissemination on the web.

I don’t know whose bright idea it was to let three punks in leather jackets and balaclavas take care of business instead of the Iraqi army, but the more I watch it, the more it looks like a hit instead of a state execution. This doesn’t help either:

The room was quiet as everyone began to pray, including Mr. Hussein. “Prayers be upon Mohammed and his holy family.”

Two guards added, “Supporting his son Moktada, Moktada, Moktada.”

Mr. Hussein seemed a bit stunned, swinging his head in their direction.

They were talking about Moktada al-Sadr, the firebrand cleric whose militia is now committing some of the worst violence in the sectarian fighting; he is the son of a revered Shiite cleric, Muhammad Sadiq al-Sadr, who many believe Mr. Hussein had murdered.

“Moktada?” he spat out, a mix between sarcasm and disbelief.

You can hear that in the video if you listen closely. It sounds like he laughs after he says it.

His family’s going to bury him in Ramadi, ground zero of the Sunni insurgency, ostensibly to prevent Shiites from desecrating his grave but actually to give the local barbarians a little inspiration. It’ll work, too.

Looks like he went pretty quickly.

Update: Red on red.

Saddam rejected an offer of dinner, a cooked chicken, and asked only for a copy of the Koran. By 1am, all he wanted to do was sleep.

But his guards, all members of the dominant Shia Sciri party, had other ideas. One in particular, nicknamed Ali the Butcher, intended to make a hell of Saddam’s last night on earth. “They were making jokes about Saddam,” another guard who spoke to those on duty told The Sunday Telegraph. “Ali the Butcher had the rope they would hang him with, and he was telling Saddam ‘It’s waiting for you, it’s waiting for you’.

“The guards were dancing in front of him. When Saddam tried to sleep, they were going in, every 30 minutes. They said, ‘We didn’t let him sleep. We destroyed his personality’.”

Update: Degenerate clown George Galloway vows revenge for his old pal.

Saddam, whom Galloway met before he was ousted in the 2003 US-led invasion, “managed quite predictably, if you knew anything about him, to show rather more dignity in these circumstances than those who were hanging him.”…

“I promise you this,” Galloway warned the call-in chat show. “The film of the execution of Saddam Hussein this morning will live in infamy and will haunt those who directed it for the remainder of their lives.”

Update: Like I said: a hit, not an execution.

The building where the execution took place was expressly chosen because it was once used as a detention center by a division of Saddam’s secret police that was focused on the Shiite Dawa party. Some of the witnesses whom the government invited to the execution had themselves once been tortured in that same building.

The Dawa party is Maliki’s party. The symbolic message here won’t be lost on either side, I’m sure.

There’s a map of the execution site at Iraqslogger.

Update: Zeyad has a translation of the video (Saddam’s real last words were the shahada) and comments: “It utterly disgusts me that Sadr’s supporters have infiltrated every level of the state, and that the witnesses, including Iraqi government officials, have made this look like a sectarian issue. They were doomed to repeat Iraqi history by hanging their former oppressor and labeling it as justice. In a perfect situation, Saddam’s execution would have united Iraqis, but thanks to the actions of the new Iraqi rulers, it will only serve to divide further. I doubt any of them will prevail as much as Saddam did, though.”

Update: Never mind the earlier report about Ramadi. They put him in the family plot in Tikrit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Saddam’s last word… “Obama!”

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 31, 2006 at 6:50 AM

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 2:34 AM

Yawn

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 31, 2006 at 6:54 AM

SJBill – “not quite a Hitler”

That’s because we took him out before he had a chance to reach the level of Hitler. Had we done nothing when Saddam invaded Kuwait, we might be facing an Iraqi Hitler today. On the other hand, the Germans manufactured their own weapons, Iraq buys them from Russia, maybe they would have cut him off?

Hey Saddam, say hi to Tojo for me!

Tony737 on December 31, 2006 at 8:32 AM

Somebody call me when the rope appears on Ebay. I’m in for that auction!

Wander on December 31, 2006 at 9:35 AM

Did Al Sadr buy the rights to hold the hanging? is Al Sadr running Iraq now? You guys did listen to the Al Sadr supporters yelling at Saddam in the cell phone video camera film with sound,.. didn’t you? It sure looks like the USA handed him straight to the Shiite Militias…

retired on December 31, 2006 at 11:40 AM

Cry me a freakin; river. Ciao, baby.

hillbillyjim on December 31, 2006 at 11:58 AM

It certainly wouldn’t have bothered me if the people in the room had been instructed to keep their damned mouths shut. And been selected for their ability to do so.

I have questions about the wisdom of a marked grave, as well.

Blacklake on December 31, 2006 at 12:29 PM

Does anyone have a video editing program? I would like someone to make it so just the part of him dropping is played… over and over and over…

just the drop – maybe along to some music…

BillyKess on December 31, 2006 at 12:32 PM

Saddam’s last words:

“Help me Jesus!”

x95b10 on December 30, 2006 at 11:06 PM

Help me Tom Cruise! Help me Oprah!

Readymade on December 31, 2006 at 12:42 PM

BillyKess how about to the music from “Team America, World Police”? America F*ck Yeah!

Catie96706 on December 31, 2006 at 1:40 PM

Catie96706 on December 31, 2006 at 1:40 PM

I vote for “Gallows Pole” by Led Zeppelin ;)

thirteen28 on December 31, 2006 at 2:14 PM

A good point. Everybody should be glad Saddam is dead, but thanks to Maliki and Sadr, it could become a case of “meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.

thirteen28 on December 31, 2006 at 2:29 PM

Thank you, Michelle, AP, and company, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I used to have to get my conservative news from that demagog Joseph Farrah, who lets sh*t like this stay on his front page for a day.

The man is intellectually dishonest or otherwise delusional and I laugh at him. Fox News reported it best:

By several accounts, Saddam was calm but scornful of his captors, engaging in a give-and-take with the crowd gathered to watch him die and insisting he was Iraq’s savior, not its tyrant and scourge.

[Sure, I would have preferred that Saddam Hussein was a snivelling coward, but I wasn't counting on it: It's better to remember him as the evil monster he was and have truth on our side, than unconvincingly argue that a man who has faced more danger than most people do is somehow a pantywaist; it boggles the mind, but not Joseph Farrah and company.]

Now I can get a conservative take on news from people whom I may occasionally disagree with, but people who are sane, intelligent, and decent.

Christoph on December 31, 2006 at 2:30 PM

[Ouabam] I will never wish death for a fellow human being even if the person murdered my entire family.

If a person murdered your entire family, you wouldn’t be around to wish anything. FYI pinhead, that’s what happened in Iraq under Saddam’s rule, entire families vanished never to be seen again.

I will pray that the person change. Revenge is a circle of unending events.

How many years did you pray for Saddam to change, and how did that work out for you? Come to think of it, maybe your prayers were answered. Saddam did change. He used to be breathing, and now he’s not.

fogw on December 31, 2006 at 2:56 PM

Saddam did change. He used to be breathing, and now he’s not.

That’s an interesting idea. I will look into it. As an uneducated nineteen yr old pinhead, I will try to reason like the people smarter than me. How does that sound? I think we have a deal.

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 3:20 PM

Buck Turgid scribbles:

Um, the only thing worse than the camera work was the rope work. Haven’t been to many hangin’s but I’m pretty sure the big coily knot goes in the back, not the front.

Um, you haven’t been to ANY hangings. The big knot thingy goes exactly where they put it, or, alternatively the other side. BUT, it does go on the SIDE!

cmdrsubfleet on December 31, 2006 at 3:25 PM

That’s an interesting idea. I will look into it.

It’s not an idea, it’s a fact. After you look into it, get back to us with a full report, OK?

fogw on December 31, 2006 at 3:32 PM

cmdrsubfleet on December 31, 2006 at 3:25 PM

OK we won’t count my depressed neighbor. I was going out of my way not to claim expertice. Video #2 shows the knot clearly in the front after the fall. As Freelancer pointed out the goal is to “increase the likelyhood of breaking the neck”. If it don’t break, you’re left with strangulation. Front knot not good for that. That’s all I’m saying.

Buck Turgidson on December 31, 2006 at 3:50 PM

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 3:20 PM

fogw, I would urge you to cut this guy some slack. He’s 19 years old. I was pretty liberal when I was nineteen. Not any more. That was more than 30 years ago. I am reminded of that apocryphal Churchill mis-quote that goes something like:
“Any man that is not a liberal at age 20 has no heart, but if that same man has not yet become a conservative by age 40, then he has no head.”

CyberCipher on December 31, 2006 at 4:29 PM

Cut a liberal some slack?

Didn’t the populous do that in the last election?

No thanks.

fogw on December 31, 2006 at 4:43 PM

Buck Turgid opines:

Unless you were standing around advising the depressed neighbor as they prepared for the act, and then witnessed the act, I would say that we don’t count that. Nor does one instance of knowing someone that hanged themselves equal “expertice” (sic)!

Judging from the pictures of Saddam before he was cut down, I’d say his neck snapped like a dry twig, and his skull popped off the spinal column…just like it is supposed to.
Commenting on knot placement post drop is silly. His head is obviously lolling about as a result of a “technically” competent hanging. And I’ve seen more than a few, along with a few beheadings as well.

cmdrsubfleet on December 31, 2006 at 6:02 PM

I don’t get it – hanging by rope is obviously an efficient method of execution – so why does our government have to make such a big deal out of executing criminals. The electric chair did not always work and now most of the country has their executions on ice because Florida could not get an injection right. They euthanize animals every day without any problem. Well – In Maryland they are appealing for the 1000th time the executution of a drug dealer that murdered 2 people while trying to murder 2 Federal witnesses that were to testify against him. The most recent appeal is that since he was an IV drug user for so many years he has no veins and therefore a lethal injection will be humiliating and demeaning. I am not making this up y’all.

Hang’em -

iam7545 on December 31, 2006 at 6:30 PM

cmdrsubfleet, I’m here to exchange ideas not insults. And hopefully learn something and form realistic opinions. If you assert the execution was technically competent and claim knowledge to back it up, thanks for saying so. I was concerned with the lack of judicial procedure, taunting, for example that they might deliberatlely maximize suffering. Sure he deserved it. That’s a whole other debate. I presumed the military would want it done in a way that minimized criticisim. It appeared they handed him to a genuine goon squad. I think why that was is worthy of personal inquiry. If I continue to support the war as I do, I want to understand who our friends are as well as our enemies.

Buck Turgidson on December 31, 2006 at 6:48 PM

I’d have preferred putting him back in charge, but on a very short leash. If that wasn’t feasible, and most likely it wasn’t, he should have been publically hanged, with much ceremony and solemnity. A government, particularly a weak and uncertain new one, must stage such theatrical events in order to establich and maintain its monopoly on violence. And that applies to the USA too; when we put down some pos we shouldn’t be do damn hang dog about it.

dhimwit on January 1, 2007 at 7:01 AM

Sorry, haven’t had my coffee yet. It should read:

…to establish and maintain its monopoly on violence. And that applies to the USA too; when we put down some pos we shouldn’t be so damn hang dog about it.

dhimwit on January 1, 2007 at 7:03 AM

Amazing how those little devils find God right before they’re about to meet him.

Set em up Joe. Pull that lever. Next up. Keep em movin.

USN6872 on January 1, 2007 at 9:53 AM

So, who among us is going to be the first to add “Yakkity Sax” and fart sounds to this lovely piece of cinema?

fusionaddict on January 1, 2007 at 12:40 PM

I knew that I will get this response, but I wanted this to be a forum on the real impact of killing notorious murderers.

And the hanging had it’s purpose, one that sends a message to all would be Saddams.

Saddam wanted to be shot as a form of execution and not hanged as he saw that as an insult to him and his position as leader of a country. That wish was not granted, just as the wish to survive was not granted to the hundreds of thousands he and his henchmen killed in his name and for his glory.

This was not a glorious end for a great man, one which will be celebrate in the annals of history. This was a miserable death of a mas murdered and Saddam will forever be known as a mass murderer who met a ignoble end to his sadistic life.

That in it self serves a purpose, which is the message that no once such as Saddam should ever be put to an honorable death. Saddam choose the manner of life he led but he did not choose the the manner of death he received, just like those he murdered. All and all, a very strong message.

RedinBlueCounty on January 1, 2007 at 1:16 PM

What a waste of good rope.

(And real smart of the US military leadership to let his Sunni henchmen have the body to ‘bury’ … AKA begin-the-process-of-martyrizing (not to be confused with Martinizing) … instead of feeding his sorry remains to feral dogs, of which there are many in Iraq.)

Amateur video for an amateur dictator.

(Who, had he accepted the U.S.’s genteel “go into exile” offer in the days leading up to the Iraq War, could now be sharing a Singapore Sling with Ude and Kuse in some bistro in Cannes, along with ‘Baby Doc’ Duvalier and other former tyrannical maniacs, all cozily ensconced with stolen billions in that ‘forced-retirement’ status we allow deposed mass-murderers to enjoy in France. Not only a sadistic maniac, but a world-historical idiot to boot.)

profitsbeard on January 1, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 3:20 PM

I thought you said you were a medical doctor in training. Hard to keep track of what you write?

right2bright on January 1, 2007 at 4:14 PM

…He did the best job. As a doctor in training, Our aim is to help or patients in all aspects till they leave our sight….
Ouabam on January 1, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Here is the quote I was referring to on the other thread.

right2bright on January 1, 2007 at 4:16 PM

They should have thrown him into an old exhumed mass grave.

Black Adam on January 1, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Ouabam, if you are indeed a (medical) doctor in training, and had only the following to say in the Swedish/Palestinian doctor thread, then you are a one scary specimen

I think the doctor was nice. He might have even poisoned the lady. If I was the lady, I would not even beg him to continue .

Ouabam on December 31, 2006 at 3:32 PM

Entelechy on January 1, 2007 at 4:54 PM

right2bright on January 1, 2007 at 4:16 PM

They said that I was an uneducated nineteen or twenty year old. I accepted the insult. I will not explain the intrinsic sarcasm in my reponse.

Ouabam on January 1, 2007 at 4:57 PM

That is just a mere speculation. As a first-year medical student to end any specualtion about my qualification to speak on the subject, the only time that I had an actual interation with a patient is when I was certified nursing assitant. All my suggestion are from books that I have read
and stories from my mentors.

Ouabam on January 1, 2007 at 5:08 PM

Ouabam on January 1, 2007 at 4:57 PM

If you say so Doogie.

right2bright on January 1, 2007 at 6:05 PM

They should have dumped his body in one of the mass graves that he had dug for thousands of others. Too bad.

Highrise on January 2, 2007 at 2:48 AM

Unbelievable.

This would be hysterically funny if it weren’t so pathetic.

Though this and earlier reports have proved and still prove that President Hussein was never captured by the Americans, nor his sons killed by them in the manner claimed, readers should be very circumspect in assuming that all three are alive and well today.

…So if this is not the real Saddam but a useful idiot and stand in, where is the real Saddam? Well, if we are to believe the words of Donald Rumsfeld (for once) just prior to the 2003 Iraq invasion, the most plausible answer is that, for the last 3 years, the real Saddam has been living it up in Belorussia, having been flown out by the USAF just before Baghdad was “taken.”

Man, that’s some serious commitment to the role on the part of that body double. Can we get this guy a posthumous Oscar nomination or something?

Laura on January 2, 2007 at 1:33 PM

why couldn’t that trap door be over the exact hole we found him in! Hang, wait 5 minutes, cut rope, fill hole with dirt!

thanks for coming!

jf

JoeFunk on January 2, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Justice served.

Now for the rest of our Islamo-Fascist terrorist. May their steps to the gallows be swift in coming.

MarkB on January 2, 2007 at 2:57 PM