Not-so-grim Satisfaction

posted at 7:05 am on December 30, 2006 by see-dubya

How should one feel about the passing of a monster like Saddam? William F. Buckley, Jr., declared that

…if fornication is wrong, there is no denying that it can bring pleasure. The death of Saddam Hussein at rope’s end brings a pleasure that is undeniable, and absolutely chaste in its provenance.

Tonight my friend Dawn Eden takes issue with Buckley, noting that while the execution of Saddam was probably justified under Catholic doctrine,

…the idea that the execution is anything better than the tragically necessary killing of a man who caused immeasurable violence and repression is repugnant and unworthy of conservatism’s elder statesman.

I’m torn here. I’ve always been repelled by barbarians hanging out in front of a state prison when an execution takes place, waving frying pans to taunt the condemned. Unless the condemned murderer’s victims were friends or relatives of mine, I think the only acceptable attitude toward an execution is one of grim satisfaction. I agreed with Slate’s Timothy Noah that President–then Governor–Bush’s mocking of Karla Faye Tucker’s pleas for clemency was probably his worst public moment. I might even laugh at a coarse joke like the one he told, but not from the Governor. Not from the man whose job is to consider her fate.

Even when I read that Timothy McVeigh was dead, I permitted myself satisfaction, but no rejoicing–even though a friend of mine had her throat slashed by flying glass as a result of his handiwork.

But tonight, my satisfaction is…not particularly grim. I realize this is the sort of thing I probably ought to be ashamed to admit, but I’m pretty happy Saddam is dead. Not elated, and certainly not dancing on his grave like the families of victims are entitled to do, but pleased in the way Buckley described. Which suggests two possibilities:

I. I’m secretly every bit as boorish and barbaric as the louts with the frying pans, and I usually just do a better job of covering it up. Which is possible.

And/or:

II. Saddam is different. For one thing, he was not only hideously brutal, but he was head of an army with which we are at war. He is also a proponent of a Baathist neo-Nazi armed doctrine that preaches war and the destruction of America and Israel. With his death, the ideology takes a hit as well, and that I’m unapologetically happy about.

I recently re-read Saddam’s Bombmaker, Khidir Hamza’s book about his efforts to build Saddam’s atom bomb. By the time the Gulf War rolled around, thanks to the indulgence of many greedy foreign corporations and technicians, they had one–all but the uranium to go in it, which was elsewhere. As the Allied troops gathered in Saudi Arabia, Saddam’s moron son-in-law, Hussein Kamel, came out to order Hamza and the scientists to give them the bomb so they could mount it on a warhead–and shoot it toward Israel as a doomsday device if America invaded.

The device Hamza had built, however, was far too big to fit on an Iraqi missile. Perhaps it could be dropped from a plane, but Kamel knew an Iraqi bomber had no chance of making it over Israel. The bomb was useless to them in those straits, and the inspectors came in and dismantled the program after the war. Saddam’s kamikaze plan to immolate Israel never came off.

Sort of like Haman’s, which is where I’m going with this.

Ever read the Book of Esther, about how a politician named Haman planned to kill all the Jews held captive in Persia? Haman built a gallows for the Jewish leader Mordechai, but in a great reversal of fortune, ended up hanged on his own construct. The feast of Purim commemorates the story and, to some degree, the execution of Haman. It’s a big party, with lots of drinking and celebration and its own trademark food–Hamantaschen cookies, said to resemble Haman’s hat. Now I understand it’s less a celebration of the fact that Haman died than a celebration that the Jews survived, but Haman’s death is part of the story–and part of the revelry includes cursing him and drowning out his name with noisemakers every time it’s spoken.

Another example might be Guy Fawkes Day in England. A group of terrorists plotted to blow Parliament sky-high, and the plan was prevented at the last minute. Fawkes was tortured and executed and his effigy is still joyously burned every Nov. 5th to commemorate his execution. As with Haman’s death, it’s a grim excuse for a party, but it’s a natural one. It feels all right in a way that celebrating “Tookie Williams Day” or “Gary Gilmore Day” just would never do, even though Tookie and Gilmore were monstrous murderers whose executions were just.

No, these men–Saddam, Fawkes, and Haman–were not just transgressors within a society. Each was a political criminal against a society. (Yes, all criminal cases involve crimes against “the People” or “the State”, but that’s not quite what I mean.) Osama bin Laden belongs in their number as well, as does McVeigh,now that I think about it–among those who plot murder on a vast scale as a political project. Such crimes against civilization need to be universally reviled, and their failure is cause for revelry. There is something cosmically gratifying about seeing such awful projects (even if they are successful in the short run) backfire and justice rain down upon their planners. It’s something that inspires celebration.

These arch-villains deserve a rollicking sendoff, with a double shot of coarse and raunchy scorn, because their deaths mark great victories over terror, genocide, and anarchy. They are the opposite of martyrs. They are each tyrants, or would-be tyrants, and tyrants deserve, in just recompense, the one thing they cannot bear: our mockery.

Saddam thought he would be the new Saladin, a pan-Arab strongman. By the great strivings of some great men, he instead died a common criminal. So if you have a glass of something handy, please join me in drinking Damnation to the Devil’s own, and salvation to those who sent him home!

Comments

See-Dubya:

What we are talking about here is scale and context. As a Christian, I feel bad at welcoming the death of any human being. But when someone engages in such utter acts of depravity and disdain for life on such an epic scale, he takes on an almost surreal character. He becomes a mythic beast. It erases my initial impulse of guilt and compassion because he is no longer human to me. To me, it is like putting down a rabid dog whose soul (in any spiritual or religious context) ceased to exist long ago.

It may be a simple analysis, but it helps me.

SailorDave on December 30, 2006 at 7:23 AM

I think a limited number of events should and do stand outside the realm of one’s own learned morality, and the death of a man or woman who has proven to be truly evil is one of them, especially after the person has been convicted and condemmned at trial, which is something that many of Saddam’s victims never had the courtesy of having.

One should never fret at true evil being purged from human society.

The hand-wringers can lose all the sleep that they want to over this, but I won’t.

quax1 on December 30, 2006 at 7:45 AM

See-Dubya:

What I find ironic is the far left folks (and, apparently, some European leaders) who feel that executing a man who is directly responsible for the deaths of countless thousands is wrong, but do not hesitate to support the right of a mother to kill a baby who has never drawn a breath.

I know that’s not what your post is about. But it’s just another reason why I will never understand the upside-down morality of the far left.

SailorDave on December 30, 2006 at 7:47 AM

Nail on the head, See-Dubya. Still, the do-gooders out there are busy cutting our civilizational throat by insisting that the taking of such life is amoral and wicked (the Vatican among them, oddly enough. Have they READ St. Paul lately?). The power to maintain order and peace is held in trust by the state. For an individual to kill in revenge is vigilantism; when the state preforms the same act, it is justice precisely because it is the state who preforms the act. Done properly, it is truly a cold-blooded killing because all evidence has been taken into account and all passion removed. Alas, there are those who would have us be ruled by our passions and thus unable to effectively meet out justice. Mercy is a laudable trait and when it tempers justice, when it is applied judiciously, the state prospers. Where mercy supplants justice, society descends into anarchy as those who would otherwise be dealt with justly are instead dealt with in a manner dictated by human emotion: either overly harsh or far too leniently. The one thing a state cannot afford to be is arbitrary. If law is not the foundation of society, then whim and emotion take over and the foundation erodes until it can no longer function. The lifespan of the state may then be measured by the lifespan of whichever strongman seizes control.

Saddam Hussein committed crimes not only against his fellow citizens, but against those whose lives he was responsible for. As such, his whim as law could hold only so long as he remained in power. If the new Iraqi state is to survive, it MUST establish itself as based upon the law and not upon the whims of it’s rulers. Today, they took a big step in the right direction.

Militant Bibliophile on December 30, 2006 at 7:52 AM

Ok, Bibliophile… that was good. I’m going to shelve my comment and just footnote yours. Some people think and write well in the morning. I’m not one of them.

SailorDave on December 30, 2006 at 7:57 AM

Nicely said, See-Dubya –

I don’t really have anything to add except to note this First Things article, a great companion piece on the subject.

The Virtue of Hate,” by Meir Y. Soloveichik.

Kadnine on December 30, 2006 at 8:10 AM

Great post, see-dubya. I’d only disagree on one minor point:

…he was head of an army with which we are at war.

There may be remnants of his army and Baathist supporters still, but I suspect most of the moles we’re trying to whack hated him, too (particularly the Shi’ites, of course).

Most of the bad guys now are driven by sectarian hatred of each other, and are only targeting our guys because they’re hindering their capacity for killing each other.

flipflop on December 30, 2006 at 8:19 AM

While we are at war, I feel happy (and feel it is almost my responsibility to feel happy) when the enemy dies, whether that enemy is a ground-level jihadist or a terror-funding dictator or mullah. Each enemy death helps bring the war closer to its end, and that is something to celebrate, isn’t it?

The fall of Saddam was just one battle in the larger war, and it is highly questionable whether he should have gotten a trial at all, which is more than the jihadists gunned down by our troops every day get (and certainly don’t deserve). I would rather that all sentimentality be reserved for after the War On Terror’s victory celebration – until then, it is our duty to destroy the enemy, not to fret about their humanity or to wallow in feelings of guilt for having to do what we have to do.

I’ve been really wondering about Buckley lately, but he’s right on the mark here. There are more than enough people feeling bad about Saddam’s execution on the Left today – let’s leave the inner conflicts to them, and let’s roll.

Halley on December 30, 2006 at 8:25 AM

Where is the video? I have chips and salsa all ready—-where do I see it? I won’t believe it until I see it….his stiff @$$ in a body bag does not count…

I paid my money, I wants my show.

seejanemom on December 30, 2006 at 8:36 AM

There are some people who make the world a better place by leaving it. Saddam Hussein was one of them.

While I’m not giddy about his demise, I damn sure am pleased with it, with no apology offered.

Pablo on December 30, 2006 at 8:36 AM

I paid my money, I wants my show.

seejanemom on December 30, 2006 at 8:36 AM

Nice way to kick off a democracy? A round of hangings. They should have banged him up in the Hague for life. Get things off on a good footing. But, I’m afraid, Miss seejanemom has probably best decribed what we are left with, and we wants our show. Well, we’re gonna get it, wants it or not. Isn’t her beau in Iraq right now? I mean, wow!

THeDRiFTeR on December 30, 2006 at 8:48 AM

There is nothing “barbaric” about meting out justice.

SouthernGent on December 30, 2006 at 8:57 AM

I feel fine.

A Lesson for Tyrants.

JammieWearingFool on December 30, 2006 at 9:02 AM

Hey, Drifter:

While I respect your right to be an a-hole, I barely tolerate it. Are you one of those who would change your tune if it were a friend of GW in the noose, or even the the Prez himself? You insane liberals are the most savage people on the earth. Go hang out near the trash-bin of an abortion clinic if you want to see the fruits of your vision of democracy.

In the mean time, leave us folks who have learned to walk upright alone. I am not sure whether you sicken me or just sadden me.

SailorDave on December 30, 2006 at 9:06 AM

Links to various video here at CNN

Interesting. Earlier the headline when clicking on that link read “Hussein executed with fear in his face”, but now it reads “Witness: Hussein’s last words mock Shiite cleric”.

Videos at that link include:

Noose placed around Hussein’s neck
al-Rubaie describes Hussein’s final moments (he was the one who said he was afraid)
What Hussein’s death could mean to Iraq
Hussein’s body in a shroud
Iraqi-Americans dancing, kissing and singing in the streets
What happened in Dujail

Of course, I would assume just like the headline, they’ll re-think some of that video and it will be either edited or disappear

Cao on December 30, 2006 at 9:22 AM

Walking down sidewalk.

Glance at TV news headline in shop window.

Stop.

Spit on sidewalk.

Walk on. Wondering what is for dinner.

Limerick on December 30, 2006 at 10:01 AM

Absolutely perfectly stated..

Viper1 on December 30, 2006 at 10:02 AM

THeDRiFTeR,

Nice way to kick off a democracy? A round of hangings.

No, it’s a nice way to end a murderous dictatorship. It’s perfect, in fact. And it’s time tested. But of course, you bristle at the notion. Pretty sick, dude.

Pablo on December 30, 2006 at 10:40 AM

I can’t quite generate glee, but I have a pretty good sense of other-shoe-dropping relief. I don’t know if it will be noticeable in the war, but an even greater sense of relief must be running through a huge number if Iraqis, who have supported our actions, who couldn’t ever shake the knot-in-the-gut feeling that somehow, some way, we would let Saddam slip out of our grip and he would visit the Mother of All Reprisals on them. May that feeling – though not Saddam – rest in peace.

Now all we have to get past is the feeling that the new Dem Congressional purse string control will force a helicopters-on-top-of-the-Embassy exit to accomplish the same sort of reprisal.

eeyore on December 30, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Nice way to kick off a democracy? A round of hangings.

How, how… Anglophone of them! In Fwance, they kick off a democracy with le Guillotine! It is so much more civilized, non?

The Monster on December 30, 2006 at 10:54 AM

Well said see-dubya. Absolutely right thing to do and fitting punishment. This guy was a monster..a lot of monsters get away with things. This one didnt. Justice was done.

labwrs on December 30, 2006 at 10:56 AM

Ah, yes. Years ago I dubbed this ‘the Elway effect’. No lead was ‘safe’ as long time remained on the clock. After a while, the reputation for comebacks starts working on defenses, and eventually becomes self-fullfilling. In the Arab Alternate Reality, Saddam didn’t even have to win to get that reputation. All he had to do was survive.

0:00 4th Qtr

The Monster on December 30, 2006 at 10:59 AM

No mixed emotions here. Some men just need killin’.

Sing to the tune of Roger Miller’s “England Swings”:
Evil men swing like a pendulum do
Soldiers in Humvees, two by two
Weapons of mass death, way back when
The hollow white cheeks of the dead children …

The children are resting a little easier now.

bdfaith on December 30, 2006 at 11:11 AM

Nice way to kick off a democracy? A round of hangings.
THeDRiFTeR on December 30, 2006 at 8:48 AM

If the hangings are justified, based on judgment received after a fair and impartial trail, with all the evidence pro and con presented so that there is no doubt, then that is the duty of a democracy to defend itself.
If you do not understand the difference between such a hanging and the kind of death that Saddam dealt out, without trial, without due process, without appeal, to people whose only crime was that Saddam perceived them to be against him. They died on his whim. Where were you when these people were shot, gassed , raped, tortured? Where were you when they cried out for mercy, begging for help? You didn’t care. That’s the dirty truth. You have no compassion for the innocent. It is civilization that brings arts, sciences, learning, progress, comforts and stabiulity. Men like Saddam tear it down, focusing all on their egos, all on the self. What do we do with a generation of men and women who have no understanding, even in the simplest form, of the concept of duty? Grow up. DO not be proud that you quail at the hard responsibilities that keep civilization alive – that keep the barbarians at bay.

naliaka on December 30, 2006 at 11:55 AM

Justice was finally done for the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis buried in mass graves, not to mention the millions still alive who were mutilated, gassed, maimed, raped, and otherwise tortured by Saddam’s regime. But the allegedly “compassionate” liberals don’t care about any of that, which is one of the many reasons why they’re so contemptible. Execution was appropriate for war criminals after World War II, and it’s equally appropriate for Saddam now. Unfortunately, far too many Europeans and Americans today lack the moral, intellectual, intestinal, and testicular fortitude of the greatest generation. They’re known as “liberals”.

But I digress. Bottom line, a truly evil man got what he deserved, and justice was done. It’s a good day.

ReubenJCogburn on December 30, 2006 at 12:28 PM

“if fornication is wrong, there is no denying that it can bring pleasure. The death of Saddam Hussein at rope’s end brings a pleasure that is undeniable, and absolutely chaste in its provenance.”

Pardon me Bill.

Hey Saddam!…AMF!

Speakup on December 30, 2006 at 12:36 PM

Here’s some slant-rhyme for ya, See-Dub:

As a Christian man there’ll come a time
When I’m obliged to forgive the swine
And leave such judgment in God’s good hands,
To let Him send evil to the pitiless flame;
But I’m too young and foolish still,
To want within me any pity bestirred,
So: Damnation to the Devil’s own,
And salvation to those who sent him home!

ccwbass on December 30, 2006 at 1:09 PM

I’ll pop a cork (well – twist a cap off, anyway) and join you in the drink, but I’ll have to settle for Martinelli’s gaseous non-alcoholic brew. Hope that’s okay.

ccwbass on December 30, 2006 at 1:11 PM

Whatever…

Jaibones on December 30, 2006 at 1:23 PM

That’s pretty good, ccwbass.. .you oughta start up a blog or something!

see-dubya on December 30, 2006 at 1:24 PM

I have ZERO guilt for the glee that I feel. None. Nada. Zip. I feel no shame at all for being glad that the Butcher of Baghdad was killed yesterday.

The man deserved to hang, a million times over, ’cause that’s the estimate of inocent people that died because of him.

Had he been taken out in 1991 by Bush 41, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis would be alive to day, and my son would not have had go to Iraq in 2004. Even more importantly, ~3000 American troops would still be alive.

He needed killing. He got what he needed. The world will be a better place for it. End of story.

On Guy Fawkes Day:

Coincidentally, we rented “V for Vendetta” on Guy Fawkes Day, 11/5. Not being a Brit (and not having seen the movie in the theaters), the date meant nothing to me. In fact, I never knew until I watched the movie what day Guy Fawkes day was celebrated on. A rather intereting coincidence, I thought.

georgej on December 30, 2006 at 1:41 PM

Thanks, See-Dub. At the moment I’m content to let you smart guys do all the work.

ccwbass on December 30, 2006 at 1:47 PM

Coincidentally, we rented “V for Vendetta”…

I’m real sorry to hear that.

see-dubya on December 30, 2006 at 1:49 PM

I don’t feel glee, nor do I feel sad for Saddam. I do feel that at last there has been justice for his victims. As for him – he’s standing at the dock of the ultimate Judge. Did he repent of his crimes before the end? Who knows, but God will give him the judgement he brought upon himself.

Ellen on December 30, 2006 at 1:57 PM

SailorDave on December 30, 2006 at 9:06 AM

And I sicken you?

THeDRiFTeR on December 30, 2006 at 2:28 PM

It neither saddens me, nor does it make me giddy. I would have preferred that they’d have exploded/gassed the spider-hole they found him in.

That would have called for less ‘sterilized and pedantic’ handling for later/now. Also, it would have prevented so many more deaths on all sides.

Notice how THeDRiFTeR doesn’t come back with “non, I’m not for the execution of Mr. Bush”.

The reaction from most of the media, the Vatican, the ‘illustrious’ and ‘powerful’ European leaders, some current/former Middle Eastern or North-African tyrants and insane leftie bloggers is simply amusing and proof that this nightmare is over.

Not to forget our elitist, civilized and superior trolls. If only they’d be forced to live in a tyranny for a while…Pontificating Utopia from afar is so easy. They simply know nothing from experience, outside of idealistic indoctrinated blather. In a way, how lucky they are. Ignorance is indeed blissful.

Most sad and deceiving, our ‘friends’ at the NYT:

When Mr. Hussein came to power three years before the Dujail killings, he ruled over an oil-rich country that was an economic and technical powerhouse in the Middle East with rising cultural and political influence. When he hurtled through the trap door of the gallows Saturday morning, the nation he left behind was a smashed and traumatized remnant, desperately trying to restore its own identity and its place in the world.

They make it sound like the U.S. caused the decline of Iraq – when in reality:

Saddam built Iraq into a one of the Arab world’s most modern societies, but then plunged the country into an eight-year war with neighboring Iran that killed hundreds of thousands of people on both sides and wrecked Iraq’s economy.

When the U.S. invaded in 2003, Iraqis had been transformed from among the region’s most prosperous people to some of its most impoverished.

Both are concluding statements, in both articles.

Also, a huge destortion – one of Saddam’s daughters wants to keep his body in Yemen, until Iraq gets ‘liberated’. What was it under her dad’s reign? Ah, the good life – it’s over!

And finally, it’s time now to remove Saddam’s name from the bricks in the historical site of Babylon, where the bastard had it forced to be inscribed in his time. What mutilation! My neighbor went there last year and we have pictures to prove this.

Entelechy on December 30, 2006 at 3:11 PM

I don’t normally jump for joy on anything because it’s just not in my personality unless I win a million dollars /snicker. So on this, I’m not jumping for joy but I surely feel relief. I would not begrudge anyone jumping for joy when evil has been dealt with.

As for the Bush comment on Karla Faye, I can understand how some people felt that it would be his worst moment. After reading what Karla Faye did though, his comment does not bother me…the things she did were so evil beyond belief that I could not even finish reading how she murdered.

Highrise on December 30, 2006 at 3:36 PM

I feel no pity for the death of an evil tyrant. I remember the pictures of his victims, and I can only say that I am glad he is no more. I can’t bring myself to feel joy or satisfaction, only a feeling of gladness that justice has finally been carried out. I will not celebrate his death, I will not dance, I will not smile, but I will drink to the memory of those who died at his hands, at his command, under his reign…may their souls rest easier now. May Iraq begin to move away from the violence that it is besieged with, and become a better place now that he is no longer breathing it’s air.

DakRoland on December 30, 2006 at 4:27 PM

HMM, I have been thinking about this since just before they carried out the execution.

I feel no glee, I feel no real satisfaction that he is gone. Actually, I DO even feel a little pity for him…… and even some sadness… (Notsadness because he is gone, but because he and all other murderous tyrants are ever allowed to exist at all.)

I wouldn’t have watched his execution for any vicarious thrill OR sense of justice. I don’t plan to view the videos of it, ever.

Nonetheless, I, myself, would have been willing to act as his executioner…. Simply because it was a necessary and practical task for the general ‘good’ of the world.

LegendHasIt on December 30, 2006 at 5:18 PM

I don’t feel glee, but I wouldn’t regret it at all if I did. I just tend to not be a gleeful person.

Who exactly is Karla Faye Tucker? I don’t know the details of surrounding Bush’s “worst public moment,” but from the link it looks like even what is “known” is in dispute. Without defending it, I would say that, as was said above, we are talking about degree. If KFT was a serial killer, and if one of her victims had said to her “Please don’t kill me” she probably would not have heeded the plea. Moreover, the tone of GWB’s expression would be pertinent: if it was anger and/or disgust, then I don’t see anything wrong with what happened.

Sorry if this position is a bit too “barbaric” and thus offensive, but I think our society may be becoming a little too “civilized” (read feminized) for our own good. When people are mildly offended by my demeanor (which is admittedly rare) I take it as a bit of a compliment.

urbancenturion on December 31, 2006 at 12:04 AM

I don’t agree with capitial punishment. I make an exception for Saddam and the Numremburg Trials. Maybe that means I’m a hypocrite or a moron but I don’t care.

aengus on December 31, 2006 at 12:28 AM

Beautiful words see-dubya.

And you’ve sharpened my thinking on the subject. I just raised a glass of my favorite aqua minerale a min. ago and joined in the toast: damnation & salvation!

RD on December 31, 2006 at 1:07 AM

[SailorDave] I’ve struggled with this. He, through his own epic acts of depravity and disregard for ANY human life, made himself inhuman to me. In that regard, I feel no more remorse or guilt over his death than I do for the death of a comic book villain. He was surreal in his evil.

And I’m sure hundreds of thousands+ will feel almost cheated, that his death was so quick and painless. Feeding him into a paper shredder a couple inches at a time, feet first, would have been more Saddam’s speed. We really need to put these guys – the deranged-left establishment – in touch with the viotims of Saddam’s brutality machine, let them choke on their own words as they patronize them, trying to explain what the proper, more ethical treatment of Mr. Hussein should have been…

Or the right to suffocate an elder who doesn’t come up with a snappy enough retort to the question, “mind if I turn off this ventilator??”

RD on December 31, 2006 at 1:36 AM

Yee-haw and sic semper tyrannis! I eagerly await the Vatican’s handwringing denunciation, sometime around early March, of gleeful, drunken celebrations of the execution of the former Persian leader, no doubt noting the particularly cruel and inhuman punishment of hanging him on a gallows he built himself.

Michael Bates on December 31, 2006 at 3:21 AM

I rejoice when evil is subdued.

Evil in this case was finally subdued.

One Angry Christian on December 31, 2006 at 10:15 AM

Damnation to the Devil’s own, and salvation to those who sent him home!

Well said. I’m at work or I’d lift a glass with you.

Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with rejoicing when someone dies. You can rejoice when someone who is suffering finally passes on to a better place. You can rejoice in the memory of a loved one when they move on to the next life. You can also rejoice when you know that someone whose every waking moment was spent hurting, killing, raping, or in some fashion destroying the lives of others has finally lost their ability to continue that process permanently.

If ever someone deserved to be put to death … it was saddam. Personally I think a quick hanging was too good for him. They should have let the families of his victims have some “quality time” with him.

That would put the fear in modern day tyrants.

One Angry Christian on December 31, 2006 at 10:23 AM