Iraq releases two Iranian saboteur/spies–over U.S. protests

posted at 3:33 pm on December 30, 2006 by see-dubya

Unbelievable. These were not low-level cannon fodder, either:

One of the commanders, identified by officials simply as Chizari, was the third-highest-ranking official of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ al-Quds Brigade, the unit most active in aiding, arming and training groups outside Iran, including Hezbollah and Islamic Jihad, U.S. officials said. The other commander was described as equally significant to Iran’s support of foreign militaries but not as high-ranking.

These dudes were caught with manifests for weapon-smuggling and plans for advanced IEDs–in the compound of an Iraqi Shiite leader who founded the Badr Brigades. Iraq said they had diplomatic immunity and let them go. (Officer Roger Murtaugh was not available to arrange its revocation.)

It’s an informative, if chilling, article. Iraq is scared of Iran and trying to make nicey-nicey with them. But perhaps there’s a good side:

Some U.S. officials on Friday saw the decision by Iraq to expel the two men as a positive development that reflected Iraq’s independence.

Hmmm…maybe, to borrow a phrase from the Somalis, our relationship is “entering a new phase“.

Hey, Iraq, you’re welcome.

H/T to Uncommon Misconceptions.

Comments

Such a grateful nation.

JammieWearingFool on December 30, 2006 at 3:47 PM

just great! More freaking ingrates! Every country we have ever delt with is an ingrate!

retired on December 30, 2006 at 4:09 PM

Well, if they’re so determined to be independent of us, perhaps it really is time for us to leave…

mikeomatic on December 30, 2006 at 4:09 PM

Iraq is not scared Iran. They’re on their f***king side!!!!

Andy in Agoura Hills on December 30, 2006 at 4:13 PM

Let’s go home. Ungrateful pricks, all of them. If we leave them right now, then the bastards DESERVE whatever will happen.

mikeomatic on December 30, 2006 at 4:15 PM

Hmm, I had read they had been expelled from Iraq, not simply “released”. The headling on this article is misleading. We do the same thing with people we find in our country whose activities are found to be “inconsistant” with their diplomatic status. This is pretty much business as usual for international governments.

crosspatch on December 30, 2006 at 4:15 PM

Honestly, I knew from day one that Iraq would probably not be this staunch ally of the US many were hoping for. And it was no suprise that after a brief “greeting as liberators”, it was straight to “OK, you get out now”…

Our goal was to remove Saddam from power, and provide Iraq the opportunity of democratic elections. We knew we weren’t getting a “yes man” ally out of the deal. Now, they find it in their interests to have a “nice nice” relationship with Iran…or so it seems.

They’re finally asserting a little indepence, be it not in our national interests here. Unfortunately, we need to treat them like we would any other nation now.

We accomplished our main goals. A little more time, hopefully, and we can get outta there. What happens in Iraq, happens. We “broke it”, we “fixed it”, and now it’s up to the Iraqi’s to “keep it working”. If they feel it necessary to expel these guys, then let ‘em.

Would have been nice if they were offered up to the US first, but whaddya gonna do?

JetBoy on December 30, 2006 at 4:29 PM

hear, hear, Crosspatch.

Christoph on December 30, 2006 at 4:29 PM

retired on December 30, 2006 at 4:09 PM

Which is clearly the reason we should stop dealing with them and start taking care of our own and god have mercy on anyone who fraks with us.

Viper1 on December 30, 2006 at 4:39 PM

This is pretty much business as usual for international governments.

I’m not so sure about that. If someone working under diplomatic cover is found to be actively working against the host government, I’m pretty sure the host government can choose not to recognize their diplomatic status.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong…it’s been known to happen. :-)

flipflop on December 30, 2006 at 5:18 PM

Startin’ to sound to me like time to overthrow another Iraqi government and see if they can get it right next time.

bdfaith on December 30, 2006 at 6:14 PM

Next time squeeze them for intel (using every method possible – no GC protections for spies) then enforce the Geneva Convention and summarily shoot the illegal combatants.

Then ‘expel’ them over the border.

CrazyFool on December 30, 2006 at 9:12 PM

We keep talking about the Iraqis making their own decisions and running their country. As soon as a decision doesn’t go the way we like it, it’s “see ya later”? Is anybody here privy to the details of this? Does anyone know just how much the US protested?… Didn’t think so….It’s a new govt. and we want them to make decisions on their own, and we don’t know the details, so give it some time. It’s pretty easy to sit here in the comfort of America and armchair quarterback……

R D on December 30, 2006 at 10:10 PM

I told my wife before the war started that the military would win in a hurry and the State Department would screw it up afterward. Just more evidence that we can’t trust Foggy Bottom to fill in the diplomatic gaps.

cmay on December 30, 2006 at 10:17 PM

Foggy Bottom?

R D on December 30, 2006 at 10:27 PM

Foggy Bottom is where the State Dept is located.

cmay on December 30, 2006 at 10:52 PM

OK. Thanks cmay.

R D on December 30, 2006 at 11:40 PM

Foggy Bottom is where the State Dept is located.

cmay on December 30, 2006 at 10:52 PM

I really wish I’d paid more attention in my younger years. I should know things like that.

R D on December 30, 2006 at 11:49 PM

You know…..my son is going back for his third tour. He is lucky. Some on on their fourth. Turn em loose or send em home. He knows how to kill. He knows how to go to Wal-mart.
He doesn’t know how to sit on his hands.

Don’t get me wrong people. I’m all about winning this ‘thing’. But come on……ring the friggin bell or turn out the friggin lights. Nuf said.

Limerick on December 31, 2006 at 1:00 AM

No it AIN’T nuf said……

I am sick and tired and I AIN’T the one duckin! I may be a little drunk, and I may be just a tad-bit evolutionarily handicapped…..but I know one GD thing for sure…..NO body…but NOBODY…except the people who write the letters and send the emails and DODGE THE FRIGGIN SHRAPNEL give a rats ass about ANYONE who wants to talk about GLOBAL FRIGGIN WARMING and FEEDING THE FRIGGIN WORLD.

LOCK…..LOAD…….PERIOD. Lead is CHEAP but my boy AIN’T!
Drunk…yeah I’m drunk. P.0.’d, yeah I’m P.O.’d. Willing to turn the other cheek? NOT ON YOUR HOI_TI_TOI_TI life.

(to all you common sense people, I apologize for yellin)I’ll go to bed now.

Limerick on December 31, 2006 at 1:23 AM

boy i blew that……..temperence Limerick…it makes your brain work. (red faced…..staggering to bed……)

Limerick on December 31, 2006 at 1:25 AM

Limerick

Nothing to be worried about in my book. If you have a son over there, you have a right to vent more than most.

R D on December 31, 2006 at 2:10 AM

Unfortunately, that’s not how it works in the international diplomatic community. The worst that a country can do to someone holding a diplomatic passport is PNG them (declare them persona non-grata and kick them bodily out of the country.

This is how some a-holes can visit the U.S. (Castro, Chavez, etc.) without having to worry about being apprehended and tried for their crimes.

rmgraha on December 31, 2006 at 11:16 AM

LOCK…..LOAD…….PERIOD.

Sorry, Limerick, you forgot a step:

LOCK… LOAD… FIRE!… PERIOD

May God watch over your boy.

rmgraha on December 31, 2006 at 11:18 AM

“eNTERING A NEW PHASE?????!!!!”
They’re mafiaoso Iraquis. Anyone think they didn’t get a couple million or whatever from the Iranians to release them?
Hell, what do you think they’ve been doing with certain of the elite in Iraq or even (though a waste unless FOX) journalists?

Money talks and the bulls**t walks. Period.

auspatriotman on December 31, 2006 at 12:17 PM