Breaking: Car Bomb at Madrid Airport (Update: Basques)

posted at 3:56 am on December 30, 2006 by see-dubya

CNN is reporting a large car bomb went off at Terminal 4 of the Madrid airport. Nothing’s on CNN’s site yet, but here’s a report (in Spanish) at El Pais. The bombers called ahead so there were few injuries, but two cops appear to have been hurt.

Let’s see: they called ahead, there was only one bomb and not a series, and no one appears to have been killed. That does not sound like Al-Qaeda to me, or even a Mukhabarat retaliation for Saddam.

It sounds like an ETA-Basque separatist attack. But that’s impossible; they have a ceasefire on. You know, just like in Palestine.

UPDATE: Sky News says “Basque separatist group ETA has reportedly claimed responsibility for the bombing.”

At least I think that’s what they say. Every time I visit that site a search menu opens up and obscures the middle inch of the article. For all I know it says Basque separatist groups and Eydie Gorme claimed responsibility. I guess the Sky News site isn’t geared to handle my obscure, trendy web browser, something called “Internet Explorer”.

Comments

boo-hoo! for the socialists Spanish goon government who went back to communism and refused to leave troops in Iraq. They said they could all get along and if they pulled out, they would no longer be targets. I say let them be taken over by the Islamic Terrorist and when the cry for help F’em!

retired on December 30, 2006 at 4:10 AM

Fox is reporting it now, too.
But they don’t have anything new.

NTWR on December 30, 2006 at 4:11 AM

So now it really is the people they thought it was the first time?

mikeomatic on December 30, 2006 at 4:16 AM

Without having seen much about this, except basically the links you supplied, my guess would be that you are right. T

hillbillyjim on December 30, 2006 at 5:06 AM

The Basques usually have no problem in coming out with a lengthy press release in conjunction with their actions,usually at the same time. That’s not to say that some of these groups would not be amenable to selling out to a high bidder with big money, such as Al Q.

The bottom line, seems to me, is that a yellow streak down your back does NOT immunize anyone from being attacked. Conversely, it seems to me that showing weakness to any of these terror groups is synonymous with painting a big red target on your back.

hillbillyjim on December 30, 2006 at 5:20 AM

Sorry ’bout the first meaningless comment; my poor li’l Dell freaked out on me, or ??

hillbillyjim on December 30, 2006 at 5:22 AM

Almost makes one miss the days of Generallissimo…almost.

hillbillyjim on December 30, 2006 at 5:27 AM

I don’t get that pop-up thing on SkyNews…but rest assured, Eydie Gorme seems to have had nothing to do with it. (And I have that same trendy futuristic browser)

This is the age of terrorism…why should the Basques sit this out? Good call, btw…

JetBoy on December 30, 2006 at 6:43 AM

Edyie Gorme? Sheesh… last time I saw her was in an old Love Boat episode. All I remember is that her dresses always reminded me of the curtains my mom had in the kitchen.

Doesn’t Spain have it’s own version of San Francisco where the Basques can relocate to do their bitching? Oh, I guess I shouldn’t complain too strongly. I too am a separatist. In fact, I fully intend to separate all my beer from my refrigerator this weekend.

An early Happy New Year to all you fine Hot Air writers and commenters! Let’s hope that 2007 is a year that lets the good guys win some.

SailorDave on December 30, 2006 at 7:08 AM

Madrid? But Spain gave in to the terrorists, just like our Democrats have.

doingwhatican on December 30, 2006 at 8:53 AM

Given how her song “Blame it on the Bossa Nova” is prone to go on terrorist rampages in my head – repeating over and over – it would not surprise me to read that Eydie Gorme had something to do with it.

purpleslog on December 30, 2006 at 9:24 AM

Eydie Gorme is affiliated with the Basque separatist movement? She’s gone downhill since her last guest appearance on The Love Boat. But I’ll always know that her dresses remind me of the curtains my mom has in her kitchen.

I, too, am a separatist. I plan to separate all my beer from the refrigerator over the weekend. Which raises the point I intended to make initially:

Happy New Year to all Hot Air posters and commenters! Let’s make 2007 a year when the good guys win a few.

SailorDave on December 30, 2006 at 9:48 AM

But Spain gave in to the terrorists, just like our Democrats have.

Somehow, I’m sure, It’s Bush’s fault. Maybe someone from his administration visited Spain lately, or he said something good about Spain, or maybe he said something in Spanish…

Seriously though, all the radicals require is that you somehow be different -that’s sufficient to kill you.

If you’re Jewish, they’ll kill you.
If you’re Christian, they’ll kill you.
If you’re the wrong kind of Muslim, they’ll kill you.
If you support any of the above groups, they’ll kill you.
If you’re an atheist, you’re not very high on their hit list, but they’ll get there.
If you are in any way different, they’ll kill you.

There’s no reasoning with them because they will accept no compromise -maybe for the short term, but don’t count on it lasting.

taznar on December 31, 2006 at 12:20 AM

hows that socialist regime change working out for you? … not too well? Ah, I’m sorry. I guess the gator decided to eat you … first.

One Angry Christian on December 31, 2006 at 10:13 AM