WSJ readers respond to Joseph Rago’s blog-bashing

posted at 3:27 pm on December 29, 2006 by see-dubya

Sub required to read these, I believe, but this one expresses the most fulsome feelings for Mr. Rago:

Print This: Your Blast Into the Blogosphere Insults Your Readers
Uh oh. Now you’ve done it. In one fell swoop Joseph Rago has managed to insult a large swath of your readership for whom the Journal was the one remaining mainstream media (MSM) product it still consumed (“The Blog Mob,” editorial page, Dec. 20). Blogs are “Written by fools to be read by imbeciles”? What a lovely thing to say to your own readers.

Thank God we have Mr. Rago to lead us to the “truth.” No longer will I have to wade through blogs and make decisions for myself regarding the value of what I am reading. Finally, I am free to cancel my Internet service and put my civic education back in the hands of the experts where it belongs. And for my part, I will come clean and admit to having missed Katie, Barbara, Dan, Anderson, Maureen and all the other “journalists” who work so tirelessly for me. Does al Jazeera have a print version? It would be so much fun to curl up with it on a Sunday morning and catch up. Thank God the experts are back.

I’ll miss James Taranto and the other misguided bloggers at OpinionJournal.com. They were fun, and cheeky, but clearly so misguided. I hope you are generous in your severance package — remember, it is the holiday season. Or perhaps, now that your print edition subscriber base will undoubtedly explode, you can find a place for them on the loading dock. It’s hard work, but honest, and will keep them, and us, out of trouble.

Steven Gruber
Syosset, N.Y.

The others aren’t quite that snarky, but all six disagree with Rago’s take on the blogosphere.

Comments

That was good…snarky, perhaps, but good nevertheless.

I liked it.

Bob's Kid on December 29, 2006 at 3:31 PM

After another round of Joey Ragu bashing the other day, the thought occurred to me that maybe the adults at the WSJ had a look at the draft of his story and gave it the OK just to teach the little punk a lesson.

JammieWearingFool on December 29, 2006 at 3:52 PM

This is a lesson that young Josephine will not soon forget.

Kid from Brooklyn on December 29, 2006 at 4:02 PM

Rago sounds too immature to handle the job of editor.

EF on December 29, 2006 at 4:05 PM

He’s only assistant features editor. When I ran my college paper, people that had no discernible talent usually wound up in features.

JammieWearingFool on December 29, 2006 at 4:07 PM

Eh, give the kid a break. He’s 23, for chrissake! When I was 23, I couldn’t find my ass with both hands, either.

flipflop on December 29, 2006 at 4:16 PM

flipflop,

Last I checked, 23 is adult age, so let him take his lumps. I think what rubbed people the wrong way was the sneering condescension. He was way over the top.

JammieWearingFool on December 29, 2006 at 4:31 PM

Last I checked, 23 is adult age, so let him take his lumps.

*pssst…i was being facetious* ;-)

He’ll never live down that “written by fools, read by imbeciles” line.

flipflop on December 29, 2006 at 4:43 PM

He hasn’t a clue what the real world is like at his age. His handlers are grooming him to be a jerk and it just follows the path of all the MSM. They haven’t a clue that they are not king of the hil any longer but the bottom of the pig pile. Wait till the next generation really awakens to the MSM and see how out of touch Ragooee and the rest are and how they will go down the way of the record industry,typewriters,and on and on as technology gets larger and more easier for the average person to figure out. He best start looking now to go work at Mad magazine or Star news to have a job in his future. LOL Gotta luv the liberal mind set………..NONE !!

bones47 on December 29, 2006 at 4:47 PM

Having heard Hugh Hewitt dissect the little twit, this is a perfect companion piece! Silly little boy Rago..what a very hard and VERY PUBLIC lesson he has learned. DONT insult your customers! EVER!

labwrs on December 29, 2006 at 4:49 PM

Rago sounds too immature to handle the job of editor.

Or blogger. :-)

SouthernGent on December 29, 2006 at 5:10 PM

JammieWearingFool on December 29, 2006 at 4:31 PM

Ditto. It’s called “Welcome to the real world, Mr. Rago.”

thirteen28 on December 29, 2006 at 5:12 PM

And for my part, I will come clean and admit to having missed Katie, Barbara, Dan, Anderson, Maureen…

Okay, I’ll come clean too.

My Aunt Katie was the first right wing religious zealot that I knew. She scared the crap outta me… And I went to Catholic School for 8 years so that’s saying something.

Barbara… The biker chic that I dated about 16 years ago who is now married to the biker dude that she left me for… (I still get email from her ;)

Dan… Or, Da da dan as we called him. He stuttered and I’m now ashamed of teasing him.

Anderson… Ahhh Pamela, you were but a thought and a dream to me.

Maureen. I saw her first, but after I took her out on one date, my best friend asked her to marry him. And she accepted and they are living reasonably happy ever after.

Boy do I feel better. Let’s do this again sometime.

Meanwhile back at the ranch… There is not substitute for the open forum of the web. Blogs are both good and bad but the best will one day replace the MSM completely…

Hot Air rocks and the MSM sucks.

Say good night Gracie.

RalphyBoy on December 29, 2006 at 5:36 PM

I believe JR is lost in the past. He has some deluded vision of himself sitting in a cigar-smoke filled room, debating with the “crusty old publisher” whether to go after a story, and then leaving, having said something clever, doffing his hat with press card evident. and storming out into the rainy night.

BAH!

hillbillyjim on December 29, 2006 at 5:39 PM

corr. after a story or not

Proofread, you dumb hillbilly.

hillbillyjim on December 29, 2006 at 5:41 PM

whether or not—duh sorry

hillbillyjim on December 29, 2006 at 5:45 PM

Ah to be 23 and smarter than everyone else again. Those were the days.

GT on December 29, 2006 at 5:57 PM

My response is much shorter and too the point….

Joseph Rago who?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 29, 2006 at 6:07 PM

Why, didn’t you know, E L Fred, it’s Joe, Joe Rago !!
The Defender of the Dying Dinosaurs. Hell, if you listen to him, he’s practically a legend.

hillbillyjim on December 29, 2006 at 6:21 PM

The way that this guy writes, if he can ever get over himself, he just might have potential. Maybe.

From what little I’ve seen, that’s a pretty huge “if”.

hillbillyjim on December 29, 2006 at 6:51 PM

I am a long time reader of the print edition of the WSJ. I have decided not to renew…
Between their stance on illegal immigration and this mess of an editorial, I think I can get my news elsewhere; more comprehensive and for less money! I will however, miss salt and pepper.

Babs on December 29, 2006 at 7:02 PM

From what little I’ve seen, that’s a pretty huge “if”.

It’s a false arrogance.

I think he wasn’t paying enough attention during his high school self esteem workshops. A person who is really confident in his own abilities doesn’t need to pull every fifth word of his article out of the thesaurus in hopes of proving he’s the next Bill Buckley.

Coyote D. on December 29, 2006 at 7:05 PM

He’s only assistant features editor.

Not any more – his official title is now Hugh Hewitt’s B*tch. He worked hard for it, too.

John from WuzzaDem on December 29, 2006 at 7:51 PM

I feel bad for Taranto, having to defend this dunce.

Jim Treacher on December 29, 2006 at 8:26 PM

Ahhh yes the MSM.

My mom still watches Brian Williams on the Nightly News. (Our Local NBC affiliate has the best local news in the state, so I usually watch it, but then the NBC Nightly News with “Captain Hyperbole” come on afterwards.

How can people live their daily lives without knowing that “_____ is the worst to ever happen since the last time ____ happened.”

(Go ahead, take a listen to him, he uses the same template for EVERY story. and it drives me nuts…. sure, no reason there why the MSM should be abandoned for blogs.)

Jones Zemkophill on December 29, 2006 at 8:38 PM

If his Ego

Could get past Rago

Who could know

Where he might go?

I know it sucks, but it’s damn sure better’n Rosie’s Rants.

hillbillyjim on December 29, 2006 at 9:36 PM

Oh Gravy, I forgot to slam Old White Men. I’ll be more careful the next time I write a piece of s**t.

hillbillyjim on December 29, 2006 at 9:39 PM

Rago is an ass.

I wonder if this clown had anything to do with the new makeover of the WSJ? One of the new features of the new print edition of the WSJ is that they will be doing more “interpretative analysis” [translation: editorializing] in their news articles.

One would expect a 23 year old to understand, if not embrace, the new direction in media. The Internet has returned to “marketplace of ideas” to the people, where individuals who have not been anointed by a publisher [translation: gatekeeper of information] to tell the people WHAT to think.

We, all of us who comment here, or run a blog, participate in the old Usenet newsgroups, chat rooms, or whatever, ALL of us have managed to destroy the old top-down news management model. How so? Because the Internet is a TWO WAY communications paradigm, where the “consumer” gets to have his say, too.

For the first time (I think I’m right on this) since the Classical Athenian agora, has the marketplace of ideas become open to all to contribute.

What Rago ought to understand, but apparently does not, is that the more people like us participate, the QUICKER the path to the truth is found, and the stronger our Republic becomes.

Yes, there will be idiots and liars. There will be wackjobs and tinfoil hat wearers, hate mongers, and conspiracy spouters. And, not doubt, there will be spin-job artists all working to get their version of “The Truth” out there. But that’s alright, too. The Internet gives us ALL freedom of speech.

The people who fall for the stupidity end up marginalizing themselves. And their ideas fall by the wayside.

What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is a TRUE marketplace of ideas, where the strongest ideas — the ones closest to reality and carrying the most common sense — will win in the end.

For every “fecal matter for brains” like John Connor, James Brolin and Charlie Sheen, there is a Penn and Teller or Popular Mechanics exposing them as the stupid fools they really are. For every BDS virus carrier posting in DU or DKOS, there are hundreds who read their nonsense and get turned off. And if you doubt this, take a closer look at WHO the “regular” participants are. What I see is not an “expansion” of their point of view or ideas, but a SHRINKING of viewpoints and a contraction of intelligence in what they write. DU, is, IMHO, little more than a mutual masturbation society made up of intellectual dilettantes who are at the lower end of the intellectual bell-curve.

Rago, a child of the Internet era, doesn’t have a clue. He’s a 23-year old dinosaur who has seen the flash of the extinction meteor, but has no idea what it means.

georgej on December 30, 2006 at 4:31 AM

What on Earth possessed the WSJ to:
1. Give this guy any job (at 23) other then maybe proofreader or copywriter?
2. Allow him to write such an idiotic column?

Hilts on December 30, 2006 at 5:59 AM

you say snarky like it’s a bad thing

:-)

snarky is the new sarcasm.

One Angry Christian on December 31, 2006 at 10:09 AM

This story utterly justifies Hugh Hewitt’s treatment of Rago.

Rago is boot-licking the MSM to beat the band. There must be a stronger motive than wanting to be heard, but his poorly chosen words prove Hewitt’s point that he lacks experience, or expertise, or much of anything else other than an opinion.

Freelancer on January 1, 2007 at 4:47 AM