Remembering Saddam

posted at 10:29 pm on December 29, 2006 by Bryan

He was a street tough who took power in a coup and immediately singled out his enemies for summary execution.

He initiated a nuclear weapons program that the Israelis destroyed by airstrike in 1981.

He launched a war against Iran that led to the deaths of about a million people.

He invaded Kuwait, killed scores of its royal family and raped the country. During the US-led war to liberate Kuwait from Iraqi control, Iraqi troops briefly invaded Saudi Arabia and frequently launched missiles at Israeli civilians. That makes four of his neighboring countries that he invaded or attacked directly.

He conducted the Anfal campaign against the Kurds, a brutal campaign against civilians that saw the use of chemical weapons against defenseless women and children. By some estimates he was responsible for the deaths of 300,000 Iraqis. He allowed rape rooms and torture chambers to proliferate, and raised his sons to be even worse monsters than he was. He brutally supressed a Shia uprising against him and subjugated the Marsh Arabs to terrible cruelty.

He worked with terrorists Abu Abbas and Abu Nidal, two of the most notorious terrorists of the 20th century, who had American blood on their hands. He paid the families of Palestinian suidice bombers in Israel. He attempted to assassinate President George H. W. Bush. He had at least a tacit relationship with al Qaeda, to the point that the Clinton administration bombed a pharmaceutical factory in Sudan on the suspicion that it was manufacturing chemical weapons for al Qaeda that were of Iraqi design.

Saddam Hussein was an evil man. He was the Hitler that we stopped before he could do even more damage. Tonight he’s dead. Good.

Comments

Amen.

Kai on December 29, 2006 at 10:33 PM

Say Hi to your bastard sons in the fires down there.

Texyank on December 29, 2006 at 10:34 PM

He’s not done yet. He has yet another trial, conviction, sentencing, and execution to undergo. It won’t be temporal beings that prosecute him this time, though.

CyberCipher on December 29, 2006 at 10:34 PM

Together with his evil two bastard sons.

Burn you monster burn

Texyank on December 29, 2006 at 10:35 PM

Ya know. I thought his execution would bring a little joy. It hasn’t.

As one of those evil fundamentalist Christians I think about how I deserve no less. But by the grace of God and the Gift of His Son, I don’t have to face it.

Justice has been served. Lets get the current mission in Iraq accomplished as quickly as reasonably possible and bring our friends and family home.

GT on December 29, 2006 at 10:36 PM

I remember him fondly…I owe him a lot.

flipflop on December 29, 2006 at 10:36 PM

I just took a peek at Craigs List in SF,CA rants and raves,there are moonbats there lamenting his passing and hoping that GWB is next, as filthy there as Kos.

bbz123 on December 29, 2006 at 10:43 PM

there are moonbats there lamenting his passing and hoping that GWB is next

Truly a sick bunch.

flipflop on December 29, 2006 at 10:44 PM

Poor little moonbats have lost one of their lights in the darkness.

boo freaking hoo

quax1 on December 29, 2006 at 10:48 PM

The Kos Krazies are hoping that THIS is the catalyst for real civil war in Iraq. Wack jobs, to be sure.

Lucid1 on December 29, 2006 at 10:49 PM

Regarding the moonbats…

If they don’t like Bush, fine. Nobody likes every sitting President. But grieving over Saddam? Do they not see anything wrong with that?

flipflop on December 29, 2006 at 10:55 PM

GT, no joy here either. Can’t help thinking about all the death he’s caused. Its good he’s gone, but sometimes there’s just no joy in doing what needs to be done.

taznar on December 29, 2006 at 10:57 PM

Hey, don’t complain about the moonbats. The do a good job of making the rest of us look more intelligent than usual.

;)

GT on December 29, 2006 at 10:58 PM

taznar on December 29, 2006 at 10:57 PM

Agreed.

GT on December 29, 2006 at 10:59 PM

Just as Bette Davis was rumored to say upon hearing about the death of Joan Crawford..

“You only speak Good about the dead..

He’s dead… Good”

GoodBoy on December 29, 2006 at 11:00 PM

Right GT, good point,and they have their work cut out making me look smrater.

bbz123 on December 29, 2006 at 11:00 PM

UNREDEEMABLE, DESPICABLE, MONSTER. ‘Nuff said.

tormod on December 29, 2006 at 11:01 PM

Where were the “human shields” from the US to protect Saddam?

JetBoy on December 29, 2006 at 11:07 PM

Hopefully he and Fidel will soon have a reunion.

JammieWearingFool on December 29, 2006 at 11:12 PM

Overheard after Saddam’s arrival in the afterlife …..

“Willkommenes Haus Herr Saddam”

fogw on December 29, 2006 at 11:13 PM

Kurdistan Avenged
Saddam wears a new necktie
If only, Schwarzkopf….

Kid from Brooklyn on December 29, 2006 at 11:13 PM

Saddam, the tribe has spoken. You gotta bring me your torch.

Buck Turgidson on December 29, 2006 at 11:16 PM

It brought me a lot of joy. It was extremely satisfying in fact. The only thing that could make it better is showing the video.

Scot on December 29, 2006 at 11:17 PM

Justice served. Read “Why Saddam Must Hang” by Patrick Poole on americanthinker for a good discussion of why this was necessary. A good synopsis of C. S. Lewis’ short essay, “The Humanitarian Theory of Punishment”.

Also, I just did some searches on Google after reading on numerous blogs about the hanging, as well as seeing impromptu reports on MSM. What shows? The first was “Bush wants Saddam to hang, but we must resist | Guardian daily …”, many more like this. Just beginning to see some news links regarding the hanging. No bias here. /sarc off

IrishEyes on December 29, 2006 at 11:18 PM

He attempted to assassinate President George H. W. Bush.

How’s that working out for ya buddy?

infidel4life on December 29, 2006 at 11:19 PM

Heh fogw – it’s “willkommen in der Hölle Herr Saddam”.

May der Teufel treat him according to his deeds!

Entelechy on December 29, 2006 at 11:21 PM

WHEN IS THE PAY PER VIEW COMING OUT?

iam7545 on December 29, 2006 at 11:22 PM

Execution took place outside the Green Zone. Good decision.

Entelechy on December 29, 2006 at 11:26 PM

You people really take the cake. Calling Ssddam Hussein a monster is insulting!

I’ll try not to take it personally, though. Frank probably won’t mind, if you just put the pitchforks and torches down. Especially the torches. He’s pyrophobic, you know. And Cookie will probably forgive you if you buy him a package of Chips Ahoy! or maybe those Pepperidge Farms with the big chocolate chunks in them. Mmmmm…. At least I would.

As to the ‘joy’ thing, I didn’t feel a sense of joy after the dentist did my root canal last month. It isn’t exactly ‘joy’ when I take a healthy dump. Those are just things that have to be done. After something distasteful like that is over, I think the right word is ‘relief’.

The Monster on December 29, 2006 at 11:27 PM

… it’s “willkommen in der Hölle Herr Saddam”.

Entelechy on December 29, 2006 at 11:21 PM

Hell is their eternal home.

fogw on December 29, 2006 at 11:33 PM

Body to be put in an unmarked grave, not to be identified for years…not to perpetuate cult of personality…

Watch out for the body-doubles – if I’d be one, I would never claim so…

Entelechy on December 29, 2006 at 11:34 PM

No tears shed from me over his death.

Burn in Hell you bastard.

Yakko77 on December 29, 2006 at 11:45 PM

Little taste of the Kos Kidz.

Scot on December 29, 2006 at 11:47 PM

Be sure to scroll down the comments of my earlier link.

Scot on December 29, 2006 at 11:48 PM

His daughter wants his body to be buried in Yemen then brought back to Iraq when Iraq is “Liberated.”

Drtuddle on December 29, 2006 at 11:49 PM

I just read through some of the Kos comments. My G-d, what a bunch of mindless cretins!

stonemeister on December 29, 2006 at 11:53 PM

Holy cow, I could only make it through about 10 of those comments (re Scot @ 11:47). What a truly pathetic, twisted, and just sad group of people.

Bryce on December 29, 2006 at 11:53 PM

I have not consumed an alcoholic beverage in over 25 years.

It was very difficult not to buy a bottle of champagne today.

The Butcher of Baghdad has met his Maker, and the Iraqi people are that much closer to true freedom. A freedom that is not today, nor has ever been, free from pain or bloodshed, but is infinitely superior to the peace of utter tyranny.

Here’s to the good guys. To the American troops that hunted him down. To the brave Iraqis who provided the information leading to his capture, and to the courageous court members who would not be swayed by his dreadful presence, and finally saw justice done.

The world is a better place tonight. Happy New Year.

Freelancer on December 30, 2006 at 12:02 AM

Hey ya’ll I’ve posted the exclusive video of Saddam’s death

RightWinged on December 30, 2006 at 12:07 AM

A virtual CHEERS to you freelancer!

Topsecretk9 on December 30, 2006 at 12:12 AM

And to the court members that wound up dead seeing justice to many people!

BTW
there is a bit of radio silence by some of the usual suspects lefty bloggers, however I am sure there is much sorrow on DEM UNderG.

Topsecretk9 on December 30, 2006 at 12:15 AM

Here is some comments on the Arabic version of Al Jazeera.

Used Google translation to get them

Comments

readers will get hundred of Saddam after Saddam Hussein, God is great, and the Americans dropped all the traitors and Saddam will remain alive in the white pages of history and the traitors will go to the dustbin of history

Saddam the day of Eid Al-Adha holiday insult to all Arab and Muslim, I cry to the nation had reached Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him O Muslims unified before it is too late. I apologize for not perfected the Arab channel and thank each and every Arab peninsula free Happy new year.

Now Saddam Hussein is a war criminal and an alleged terrorist, while the American government under the leadership of Bush the father and son previously currently slaughtered thousands of Iraqis and Muslims, the holder of peace already applied Arabs tried described Jews on the Iraqi government, including severe SHARES

William Amos on December 30, 2006 at 12:31 AM

And a side order of Kos Kidz to go with that DU.

Scot on December 30, 2006 at 12:34 AM

And a side order of Kos Kidz to go with that DU.

Scot on December 30, 2006 at 12:34 AM

“Saddam Hussein is dead. He was murdered today…”

Dear Jesus. The human race is doomed with this cancerous tumor in the gene pool.

infidel4life on December 30, 2006 at 1:24 AM

“Saddam Hussein is dead. He was murdered today…”

infidel4life on December 30, 2006 at 1:24 AM

infidel, I don’t post over there for fear of (mental) leprocy; if I would, this is what i’d write “no he wasn’t – there was a ‘necktie party’ and he was the guest of honor”.

Entelechy on December 30, 2006 at 1:36 AM

infidel, I don’t post over there for fear of (mental) leprocy

Entelechy on December 30, 2006 at 1:36 AM

Good thing. We don’t you getting infected with their derangement.

infidel4life on December 30, 2006 at 1:42 AM

I must stand alone I suppose in expressing my utter joy and downright giddiness over the execution of this barbarian. I’m always delighted when justice, poetic justice is served. And in this case there is the added bonus of watching the Iraqi people themselves mete out the justice long denied to them by this piece of garbage. My liberal friends are always quick to say how the death penalty never serves to deter crime. Oh how wrong they are when they utter this nonsense. As I point out to them, and to this day they have yet to mount an argument against, the death of the convicted is itself a crime deterent because we’ve guaranteed that this individual will never again commit a crime. The Iraqi people have just deterred crime in their nation for it is a certainty this monster will never again roam the streets looking for someone to torture. Saddam say hello to Hitler, Stalin, and all the other murderers, rapists and wannabe tyrants hanging out with you and satan…

ritethinker on December 30, 2006 at 2:13 AM

Remember the reaction from the leftist nut-bags on the democrat blogs when Ambassador Kirkpatrick passed away? The venom and outright hatred spewed forth so easily from them. In particular was one comment on how the devil called her home. Now, contrast that with the reaction to Saddams demise. Telling isn’t it? And they have the nerve to question us when we question them on their patriotism…

ritethinker on December 30, 2006 at 2:17 AM

Congratulations Mr. Bush, you got your revenge
by abbaanthony

is what the KOS humanitarian says…

Jaysus CHRIST.

Al-righty then…in spite of Kosovo cleansing and murdering…

I hear-by deem the Democrat Party in compliance and in FAVOR of… this

I have to think the photo above really sends Firedoglake and Townhouse into a moratorium silence.

Saddams Lovers is all that can be concluded.

Topsecretk9 on December 30, 2006 at 2:19 AM

Oh and they did too about Gerald Ford.

HOWEVER as usual many on the left SOUGHT and lost a latthe over their pretend GOP BADness over the hurt Dem. Senator.

Anyways, liberals are always guache and tacky, because they think it will get them elected—for the people.

Topsecretk9 on December 30, 2006 at 2:26 AM

Don’t look now, but the Kos Kidz and Joshua Marshall are throwing a fit over Saddam’s execution. Apparently the Iraqi government doesn’t have the right to try one of their own mass-murdering citizens in their own court. The execution of Saddam Hussein won’t solve anything! Therefore, I guess, it should never have happened? It’s hard to figure out just what in the world these folks are trying to tell us.

Dare I say it, never before has the execution of a mass-murdering tyrant been met with so much (shallow, politically biased) protest.

I wonder, how many of these people would protest if Bush were shot dead tomorrow? Ah, right, Bush is WORSE than Saddam Hussein. Read the diaries over at DailyKos, because that’s exactly the type of thing you will find there.

Reprehensible.

I will stand with the Iraqi people on this day. The DailyKos crowd can go to hell.

Seixon on December 30, 2006 at 3:02 AM

The leftwing blogosphere was grieving for Saddam even before he was executed:

DUmmies Deeply Saddened By Saddam’s Impending Execution

pjcomix on December 30, 2006 at 3:21 AM

Piss on the DU’ers, firedoglake, huffpost, and the KOSkids. Moonbat liberals are terminally stupid. They deserve our utter contempt.

georgej on December 30, 2006 at 3:52 AM

I have much joy in Saddam’s death…as I have in any evil person’s death. It is one thing to make a mistake in life, but it is entirely another to be an evil person such as him……death is very fitting for this evil bastard.

I am a christian and I do believe in justice (death) for evil ones such as him.

I will never get out of my mind the one picture of the mother clutching her infant who died with her..a kurd…when he ordered them gassed. I wanted him dead after I saw that…no questions,if’s ands or but’s. DEAD!

Highrise on December 30, 2006 at 5:10 AM

We’re off to see the wizard….

Now that the world is rid of that particular demon, let’s see how much the “world community” can do to help the poor individual Iraqi. I doubt much. These brave guys and gals in our military should be sainted for all that they are doing and trying to do. If all of the naysayers in the UN would just contribute a very small amount to the rebuilding of a broken country (Iraq), then it would be a totally different story. What they say and what they do are two different things, sadly.

I don’t think the death of Saddam is going to make much of a difference to our heroes over there on the ground. I expect some celebration, but when you’ve lived like these Iraqis have for so long, you’re probably afraid still that it will come back and bite you; if you show any particular leaning toward any (political) group and you lose the gamble, you literally lose everything.

I can only hope and pray that some day these hopelessly lost people can come together and actually build something for themselves. I can hope but realistically, I can also pray at the same time for what’s to come.

No sympathy here for Saddam Hussein, only contempt. My sympathy, for now, goes out to the average everyday Iraqi, who just wants a life and a world in which he can build one. I hope Saddam enjoys hell.

God bless our troops.

hillbillyjim on December 30, 2006 at 6:05 AM

…waiting for the leftist BDS outcry….

Black Adam on December 30, 2006 at 6:17 AM

Not so fast. If it had been hanging the MSM or Kos or all of Hollywood or most of Congress, I’d be dancing an Irish jig. Especially if it was done on the Washington Green at high noon. But it might have been wiser to keep this pos alive just in case. He had a way with the rop types out there.

dhimwit on December 30, 2006 at 6:55 AM

CNN and the moron Nic Robertson must be in deep mourning.

rplat on December 30, 2006 at 9:14 AM

Just read some of the comments on KOS. If I hadn’t read the comments for myself I would not have believed how idiotic and ani-American these liberals are. Unbelievable. They can’t even grasp the simple fact Sadman was tried , convicted and executed entirely by the Iraqi government. Said government was elected by the Iraqi people themselves. The libs go on and on about how Sodamn Insane was a humanitaian!How did these libs end up so deluded?

Guardian on December 30, 2006 at 2:31 PM

I Kos’ banana gang posts.

I wasted 3 minutes of my life just now.

As Kos would say “Screw them”!

Saddam is STILL dead! Good!

Joe on December 31, 2006 at 1:09 PM