British “Alternative Christmas Message” Muslim is Lapsed Feminist.

posted at 6:47 pm on December 29, 2006 by see-dubya

Interesting look by the Daily Mail into who Britian’s Channel 4 chose to give an alternate Christmas message from behind a veil. She’s a very well-to-do English convert to Islam, formerly a feminist:

“Atkinson said: “Much to the shock and horror of my family and friends I embraced Islam.

My friends, family and colleagues were very keen to express their negative views.

“I had always been known as a radical Feminist and had dutifully continued the family tradition of following in the footsteps of my great-grandmother, who was a suffragette.

“Much to my greatgrandmother ’s horror (if she were still here to express it) I was soon to discover that Feminism and Islam went together like oil and water.

“I realised Feminism promoted the very thing it protested against: oppression of women.”

Frying pan——->Fire.

(Incidentally, the article mentions her ties to a “radical muslim group” that wants to take over Pakistan, but it’s not one I’ve ever heard of–nor had Allahpundit.

It sounds like she’s just an extremely strict and devout Muslim, though a very outspoken one.)

UPDATE: On the other hand, the group, Minhaj ul-Quran, did try to sue the Jyllands-Posten over the Mohammed Cartoons and the supported the fatwa against Salman Rushdie.

Comments

Only in Londonistan. Atkinson’s defense of her conversion to Islam as a way to fight women’s oppression reminds me of one of my top 5 Simpsons episodes: the one where, at the end, Bart says, “…imagine that, Dad’s butt preventing the spread of toxic gas…”

Kid from Brooklyn on December 29, 2006 at 7:04 PM

I can’t help but wonder how liberated she would feel under Taliban rule and Sharia law.

GT on December 29, 2006 at 7:06 PM

Not a big change. Mullah Omar and Gloria Steinem go together like two peas in a pod, don’t they?

tommy1 on December 29, 2006 at 7:09 PM

From Feminazi to Islamonazi. A seamless segue, indeed.

JammieWearingFool on December 29, 2006 at 7:24 PM

Radical feminism is as much steeped in exclusionary dogma as Islamism. It is filled with identity politics in order to fill the void of practioners incapable to self-fulfillment.

Both are cults and both prey on people of weak character, or are afraid of being responsible for their own lives.

The extremes of either left or right are filled with lunatics.

Darleen on December 29, 2006 at 7:31 PM

“…imagine that, Dad’s butt preventing the spread of toxic gas…”

HAHAHAHA!!!

Theworldisnotenough on December 29, 2006 at 7:35 PM

I was soon to discover that Feminism and Islam went together like oil and water. Well Duh. I worked in Saudi for a year in the mid 1990s. Only in the most devout and Holy of cities did most Muslim women cover to the extent this woman does. In Dubai, most Muslim women were content with just head covering. Also, most of the Saudi women I know, westernized to be sure, dressed in strictly Western attire when visiting Western countries. This woman sounds to me, frankly, to be a fanatic who embraces causes radically. Hijab is a common sight among Muslim women, a scarf that covers their hair and neck. Many Muslim women in Saudi who were citizens of Western countries wore the hijab and abbaya, what some call burka, but no face covering. These women were devout Muslims. Saudi women in cities such as Mecca and Riyadh, to name two of the most strict cities, dress as this woman. I said all that to say this. This smacks of attention getting to me. I am skeptical that she is doing this for any reason other than to call attention to herself. The fact that she also appears to be involved in radical causes does nothing to dispell my suspicions.

Glynn on December 29, 2006 at 7:35 PM

Anyone get the time of day during Eide when the alternative holiday message “OBSESSION” will be aired on UK Channel 4?

Didn’t think so.

Ramadan 2007 will be celebrated for 30 days – right? Perhaps UK Channel 4 will consider providing programming for personally delivered alternate messages each night of Ramadan from knowledgable folks like:
Pope Benedict,
Nonie Darwish,
Paul Fregosi,
Melanie Phillips,
Marc Steyn,
Gregory M. Davis etc.

and offer showings of:
Quixotic Media’s “ISLAM WHAT THE WEST NEEDS TO KNOW”
or
Honest Reporting’s “OBSESSION, Radical Islam’s War Against the West” & “Relentless”,
or
Glenn Beck’s special on CNN “Exposed, The extremist agenda”

Come on Britain . . .wake up!

heroyalwhyness on December 29, 2006 at 7:38 PM

The extremes of either left or right are filled with lunatics.

Darlene, you nailed it.

Glynn on December 29, 2006 at 7:44 PM

In the phrase “outspoken Muslim woman,” there is one word that does not belong. Will you make me elaborate?

Jim Treacher on December 29, 2006 at 7:44 PM

She looks like someone, I can’t quite put my finger on it….

Bender – “You sir can bite my shiny metal ass!”

Coronagold on December 29, 2006 at 7:55 PM

Parade the loonies or lock em up. I can’t decide which is better at exposing the walking-mentally-ill.

One thing is for sure. She is NOT married. If she were the daily ass-whooping (that Islam demands) would probably knock her brain back in place.

Agrippa2k on December 29, 2006 at 8:06 PM

Nice sack.

It would clash with my Jimmy Choo collection, so me thinks not.

seejanemom on December 29, 2006 at 8:10 PM

Seems she is married (to a Pakistani-Brit). I hoped she didn’t fit such a common pathetic pattern. Not so special after all.

When you go out to the edge you are bound to get cut. Somebody in her associations is going to have a problem with something she does. They aren’t a very tolerant bunch.

For one she is shaming her husband. He won’t stand for that too long. Now she has been seen without the outfit, in public – hypocrite!! You know what happens to them.

Eventually she will have to stop working, stop talking, stop leaving the house. If her radical views are having any affect on her husband – she can only create a monster.

The pattern is common. She got knocked up with a Pakistani man, and because of HIS guilt she changed her whole world.

As long as she feels she could be still deeper in the whole she is going to hold on rather than climb up. Considering an awakening would equate to apostacy – she surely knows that would mean her death.

See for stories just like hers. It always ends up with beating and debasement. How a modern woman of nearly 40 could be so weak minded I will never understand.

Agrippa2k on December 29, 2006 at 8:30 PM

Rich, spoiled brat who has spent her life grandstanding to shock the family.
Who else would have been able to wrangle airtime? Average Joe’s and Josette’s don’t get on TV.
Indulged idiots playing dress up games. The Elites fiddling while civilization burns.

naliaka on December 29, 2006 at 8:55 PM

Feminism
Islam

Both are so full of hate that in the final analysis, they are the same.

shermacman on December 29, 2006 at 9:25 PM

London’s Daily Mail has an article about this fake and at the end of the article says that their reporters caught her returning from the grocery store without her stupid sack on, but they did not publish a picture. Would love to see just what this cow looks like!

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on December 29, 2006 at 9:35 PM

Both are so full of hate that in the final analysis, they are the same.

shermacman on December 29, 2006 at 9:25 PM

Spot on. Proving once and for all that any hate-filled mental disorder (like feminism) is interchangeable with any other hate-filled mental disorder (like devotion to Islam).

CyberCipher on December 29, 2006 at 9:58 PM

GT on December 29, 2006 at 7:06 PM

Careful. There’s probably a good chance that if she was “outspoken” like that under Taliban rule or Sharia law, that she’d end up dead. Not everyone would agree, but some people would argue that death itself is liberating.

CyberCipher on December 29, 2006 at 10:11 PM

She’s an idiot. Don’t care what side she is on!

Highrise on December 30, 2006 at 5:27 AM

Think how much better a place the world would be if we could get all feminists to wear burqas’.

DoctorDentons on December 30, 2006 at 6:25 AM

If she’s like most of the feminists I’ve ever encountered, she’s doing the world a huge favor with that burqa.

SailorDave on December 30, 2006 at 7:32 AM

She has nice eyes, at least.

smellthecoffee on January 1, 2007 at 12:37 AM