Repeat felon waltzes away from work camp, kills cop

posted at 3:42 pm on December 28, 2006 by see-dubya

Escaped felon Marlon Ruff killed San Francisco policeman Bryan Tuvera Friday night, before Tuvera’s partner shot Ruff dead. Ruff had been a fugitive since he just walked away from an unfenced “Conservation Camp” up in Humboldt County in 2005. After all, he was “non-violent”:

Court records made available Wednesday show Ruff has been either jailed, on probation or on parole since 1996, when he was convicted of grand theft in San Francisco. Two years later, he was convicted of receiving stolen property in San Mateo County. Back in San Francisco in 2000, he was convicted of being a felon with a gun.

Ruff was on parole and living with his mother in San Bruno when, on Sept. 8, 2003, he followed Brink’s courier Miguel Galang into the Westlake Shopping Center in Daly City.

After Galang, 57, picked up cash from a Goodwill store, Ruff attacked him in a tunnel to the parking lot, Oglesby said. Ruff punched Galang from behind, and then struck him repeatedly when he fell to one knee. Ruff ran off with $4,600, which he used to buy a Ford Thunderbird a few days later.

Almost eight months later, a jury convicted Ruff of second-degree robbery. According to court records, Ruff responded by loudly telling the panel, “You guys just made a big f — mistake. I’m innocent.” He added, “These people aren’t even human.”

So for a crippling beat-down and robbery in broad daylight at a shopping mall, California DOC sends him to Smoky-the-Bear camp for six years? And they’re surprised when this guy takes off? They shouldn’t be: the DOC spokesman said about a dozen people escape from conservation camps each year.

All of them, we assure you, are non-violent, just like Marlon Ruff.

Comments

Tragic story, my deepest sympathy to Officer Tuvera’s family. I hope they give his partner a medal.

SAM 1X on December 28, 2006 at 3:50 PM

Well, that’s California for ya.

flipflop on December 28, 2006 at 3:51 PM

Sure glad the partner nailed his butt dead. Just think of all the hundreds of thousands he saved the taxpayers for the next 40 plus years, if he lived that long. Good shooting officer. Keep up the good work on this kind of scum.

auspatriotman on December 28, 2006 at 3:52 PM

If the ACLU had its way, that’s where we’d relocate the Gitmo inmates.

windbag on December 28, 2006 at 4:07 PM

wait a sec, it sounds like this guy had three felonies. Whatever happened to ‘three strikes and you’re out’?

dalewalt on December 28, 2006 at 4:11 PM

An yet, the MSM can’t write enough about how many people are in US prisons.

Kill someone and get 5 years, out in 18 months on probation.

Get caught smoking a joint and it’s mandatory 20 years, no parole.

Rape a child, get 2 years, out in 18 months, just to do it all over again.

Cop killers get hailed by the MSM as heros because they found “God” in prison and now write children books.

Does anyone else see what’s wrong here?

Kini on December 28, 2006 at 4:12 PM

but remember, our DOC … works.

One Angry Christian on December 28, 2006 at 4:13 PM

They have to be enumerated serious or violent felonies to be considered strikes. Grand theft, receiving stolen property, felon w/gun are not strike felonies.

EF on December 28, 2006 at 4:20 PM

What EF said. And beating the crap out of the courier and stealing his money just missed it, because he used his fists and not a weapon. I redacted the part about the guard’s injuries but Ruff worked him over pretty good.

see-dubya on December 28, 2006 at 4:24 PM

it’s pretty sad when you can use your fists and put someone in a coma and not get a strike. I’m well aware he didn’t put the guy in a coma, but my point is that it’s about whether he has a weapon or not.

It’s not hard to kill someone with your bare hands. Another reason I love floridas gun laws. You threaten me. You approach me. I shoot you. Game over.

One Angry Christian on December 28, 2006 at 4:27 PM

PS Kini:

“Get caught smoking a joint and it’s mandatory 20 years, no parole.”

No, my friend. No. Not in this country.

see-dubya on December 28, 2006 at 4:31 PM

Robbery and assault are definitely serious/violent felonies. However, what matters is whether the prior convictions are serious/violent felonies. Here, they weren’t.

Now, if he had served his prison term, was released and picked up another felony, whether or not it was serious or violent, he would have two strikes against him, meaning they could sentence him from 25-life.

EF on December 28, 2006 at 4:37 PM

PS Kini:
“Get caught smoking a joint and it’s mandatory 20 years, no parole.”
No, my friend. No. Not in this country.
see-dubya on December 28, 2006 at 4:31 PM

I know guys who’ve been caught with more than an ounce and did less than a month. I don’t know where that “information” came from but it’s completely bunk.

One Angry Christian on December 28, 2006 at 4:43 PM

Since SF peopple dont even want the US to have an Army,Navy,AF or Marines…I’m kinda baffled that their cops had a gun.

What a place to be a cop, San Fransisco…ya gotta be crazy.
my prayers for the Tuvera family.

shooter on December 28, 2006 at 8:26 PM

West Virginia is looking better and better

seejanemom on December 28, 2006 at 8:32 PM

The judge can reduce many crimes so they do not fall under the three strikes law. They have thrown out convictions on techs just so three strikes are not applied. And always judges are trying to reduce the charges to just fall under the felony statutes.

Thomas Sowell broaches this in this article: http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ThomasSowell/2006/12/14/supreme_farce_part_ii

right2bright on December 28, 2006 at 11:00 PM

PS Kini:

“Get caught smoking a joint and it’s mandatory 20 years, no parole.”

No, my friend. No. Not in this country.

see-dubya on December 28, 2006 at 4:31 PM

One Angry Christian on December 28, 2006 at 4:43 PM

I know, I know, but I have to have at least one outrageous incorrect exaggeration comment to stress the point of how the legal system is broken.

I believe that if you have enough money, enough fame, and are politically connected, you can buy the Justice system.

If truthers can do it, so can I. Just review cases current and in the past: OJ Simpson to Sandy Berger to Nifong.

By the way, in New Jersey, get caught with pot within 1000ft of a school zone, mandatory 5 years. Part of the Zero Tolerance insanity. I was a juror in that case. Which was my point guys. But thanks for the comments, really!

Kini on December 29, 2006 at 12:27 AM

…If truthers can do it, so can I…
Kini on December 29, 2006 at 12:27 AM

We ain’t no truther. This ain’t no truther site. Don’t wanna be like no truther. Truthers don’t know any truth.

right2bright on December 29, 2006 at 9:32 AM