NYT tongue-bathes Republican anti-war senator

posted at 2:48 pm on December 28, 2006 by Allahpundit

Dan Riehl pretends not to know why they’re running a story about a speech delivered three weeks ago when there’s “no new news at all” to report about it.

Why, there hasn’t been a show of moral authority this absolute from a Republican since the Passion of George Voinovich. Who, um, later changed his mind.

At the close of the Senate’s lame-duck session, in between formulaic tributes to senators departing voluntarily or otherwise, a Republican backbencher suddenly rose to give one of the most passionate and surprising speeches about the war in Iraq yet delivered in Congress…

But the real impact of the address came not just from Mr. Smith’s words, but from the way he delivered them. His somber cadence resonated in a way that made political Washington take notice, transforming him into one of the most talked-about Republicans heading into the new Congress…

Mr. Smith said that his use of the word “criminal” in his speech to describe the war in Iraq came from his reading of that book, which he said explained to him the “practice of British generals, sending a whole generation of British men running into machine guns, despite memos back to London saying, in effect, machine guns work.”

Much like the British in World War I, he added, “I have concluded that we are employing strategies that are needlessly getting kids killed.”

British troops KIA in WWI: ~910,000, or slightly more than 300 times the number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq. Don’t look for that figure on your AP Pocket Casualty Counter, though. It’s programmed to calculate only unflattering comparisons.

Comments

A James Risen piece? That figures.

Pablo on December 28, 2006 at 2:58 PM

Gordon Smith can now take his place among those unworthy cowards who, when the going got tough, left town. May the stink of a thousand camels be upon him to freshen him up.

cms on December 28, 2006 at 3:14 PM

How could anybody read Keegan’s (very good) book about the Great War and come away thinking that it holds any relevance whatsoever to the battle for Iraq? For God’s sake, man! Pull your bobbing political head out of your ass just long enough to grasp that on the first day of the Somme offensive, the Brits sent 20,000 of their men to their graves! By the time the offensive was exhausted in September 1916, the Brits had suffered 420,000 casualties in return for 12 kilometers of blasted earth.

What’s to be the next assinine comparison? Thermopylae?

spd rdr on December 28, 2006 at 3:14 PM

Allah this is the second most disturbing reference to “tongue bathe” I’ve ever seen. Nonetheless, great post.

BillLalor on December 28, 2006 at 3:14 PM

British troops KIA in WWI: ~910,000

Nice site you’re getting your figures from Allah… one of the sections of this site is
The section is called “The crimes of a U.S. President”; all about how evil Bush ’41 was.

dalewalt on December 28, 2006 at 3:18 PM

What is he comparing? The differences between Belgium in 1914 and Iraq in 2000+ are so vast, they don’t even warrant a discussion.

We are also talking about 2 different countries in two completely different eras.

Half a league, half a league
half a league onward
All in the Valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Forward the Light Brigade

wait a second, we’re outnumbered and outgunned, someone might get hurt, retreat, retreat let’s live to negotiate another day….

reaganaut on December 28, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Bush has killed approximately 1500 times more people than existed on the PLANET when Adam and Eve were created. Think about that! Any more ludicrious comparisons we can think up?

lorien1973 on December 28, 2006 at 3:31 PM

that thing ace posted was hysterical. The left always gives republicans good press … when they turn canible.

One Angry Christian on December 28, 2006 at 3:33 PM

EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, Verbage, please. Don’t let another reference to the despicable be burned into our consciousness (we have too many already) save it for the uninitiated or newly converted (how is KP,AP?).

I still have my great-uncle’s WWI corporal’s uniform and some stereoptic pix of battlefields in france. Though he is gone, I remember the tales and other mementos left by Nolan J. Six.

tormod on December 28, 2006 at 3:34 PM

So many messages and memos to be read! Here’s some more:

Memo back to Mr. Smith:

“Nuts.”

Memo found crumpled in Risen’s recycle bin:

“Loose lips sink ships.”

Singing Telegram from the NYT:

“We are the Barbarians!”

Dusty on December 28, 2006 at 3:53 PM

Sending waves of unsupported infantry against entrenched machine guns is as unthinkable today as media and political support for the enemy would have been in 1917.

ReubenJCogburn on December 28, 2006 at 4:58 PM

Bill, I’m with you on the “Tongue Bathing” references. Kind of makes one cringe. (unless of course it’s a story about Tara Connor)

Re: The New York Times James Risen, vaunted Military strategist.

I particularly enjoy it when the Homosexual Community (i.e.the NYT) speaks out on issues, that in the entire history of the World, they have no personal experience of ever engaging in. As in Military combat.

Reminds me;

A young man joined the Army and signed up with the paratroopers. He went though the standard training, completed the practice jumps from higher and higher structures, and finally went to take his first jump from an aeroplane. The next day, he called home to his father to tell him the news.

“So, did you jump?” the father asked.

“Well, let me tell you what happened. We got up in the plane, and the sergeant opened up the door and asked for volunteers. About a dozen men got up and just walked out of the plane!”

“Is that when you jumped?” asked the father. “Um, not yet. Then the sergeant started to grab the other men one at a time and throw them out the door.”

“Did you jump then?” asked the father.

“I’m getting to that. Every one else had jumped, and I was the last man left on the plane. I told the sergeant that I was too scared to jump. He told me to get off the plane or he’d kick my butt.”

“So, did you jump?”

“Not then. He tried to push me out of the plane, but I grabbed onto the door and refused to go. Finally he called over the Jump Master. The Jump Master is this great big guy, about six-foot five, and 250 pounds.

He said to me, ‘Boy, are you gonna jump or not?

I said, ‘No, sir. I’m too scared.

So the Jump Master pulled down his zipper and took his penis out. I swear, it was about ten inches long and as big around as a baseball bat!

He said, ‘Boy, either you jump out that door, or I’m sticking this baby up your ass.’”

“So, did you jump?” asked the father.

“Well, a little, at first.”

there it is on December 28, 2006 at 5:08 PM

Yeah, I saw that when the toady first said it … that’s *my* Oregon Republican Senatorial toady, mind … ugh. If there’s anything more prententious than the NYT, I wouldn’t like to see it. Since when does the United States have “backbenchers” ?

Anwyn on December 28, 2006 at 5:33 PM