RIP, Gerald Ford

posted at 1:58 am on December 27, 2006 by see-dubya

Best President of the 1970′s, dead at 93.

By all accounts he was a decent and genuine man. He survived two assassination attempts and relentless mocking by Chevy Chase, who portrayed him as hopelessly clumsy (even though he was quite athletic and a college football star).

Plus the dude smoked a pipe. That’s a stone cold mack-daddy Prez, there.

Not much happened on his term, which in a grim decade of worldwide socialism, squalor, and chaos is quite an achievement. His was a thankless job, cleaning up after Nixon and then inevitably turning over the country to the tender mercies of Carter. He did it well, and we thank him for it. RIP.

Comments

RIP.

x95b10 on December 27, 2006 at 2:03 AM

I posted this on another thread, but I should repeat it here:

Gerald Ford died tonight. Sad, but even sadder is this line at the end of the story on CNN’s website describing Ford’s presidency:

Even after two women tried separately to kill him, the presidency of Ford remained open and plain.

Not imperial. Not reclusive. And, of greatest satisfaction to a nation numbed by Watergate, not dishonest.

Excuse me, but WTF?!?!?!? That’s so obviously a shot at the Bush presidency. Damn Associated Press to hell. What a crass, manipulative, cheap shot.

jaleach on December 27, 2006 at 2:16 AM

Rest in peace, Mr. President.

The irony of the Chevy Chase parody was that Ford was quite possibly the most gifted athlete to ever reside in the Oval Office. He was a member of the ’31 and ’33 national championship football teams at Michigan, was the Wolverine MVP in ’34, and turned down a pro football career in order to go to law school.

Ford wanted to stay in Vietnam to the finish, but the Democratic-controlled Congress refused to honor our promises to support the South Vietnamese, and cut off funding for the war. The bloodbath that ensued when the Communists took over in 1975 was their creation, and a national disgrace.

I was just a kid back then, but I hated to see Ford lose to Carter in ’76. But we needed Carter to show how low the U.S. could sink, opening the door for the mighty Ronald Reagan in 1980. Still, I always thought Ford deserved better.

ReubenJCogburn on December 27, 2006 at 2:47 AM

A good man who never got the respect and appreciation he deserved. Probably the most honest, likable and ‘real’ man holding the office of President in the second half of the 20th Century, if not longer.

May God Bless and receive him.

LegendHasIt on December 27, 2006 at 3:18 AM

A dignified man and a patriot. He deserved more respect than he received.

Rest in peace, Mr. President.

doingwhatican on December 27, 2006 at 3:45 AM

My condolences to his family.

I know this must be a bit crass, but if someone could find the SNL skit with Dana Carvey doing the “hypothetical obituaries” skit as a news anchor, that would be great. It kept going on with Gerald Ford. Eaten by wolves. Killed in Skydiving accident. Abducted by aliens, etc.

Pat Meebles on December 27, 2006 at 3:46 AM

alright, I found it

Pat Meebles on December 27, 2006 at 3:50 AM

Absolutely. God bless him and his family.

MayBee on December 27, 2006 at 5:22 AM

GOD BLESS

I plan to attend the funeral, assuming his last wishes are carried through… to be buried in Grand Rapids, at his Museum.

Ugly on December 27, 2006 at 5:44 AM

Maybe with the passing of President Reagan, and now president Ford, we may find some more formallity and respect for the office.

I doubt it… but optimism is a wonderful thing.

Ringmaster on December 27, 2006 at 7:04 AM

A&E’s biography special about Ford painted him in a very warm light. Can’t say I’m old enough to know if it was accurate.

I hope it was. Anyway, it was a joy to watch. I suspect it’ll be run again soon, now. Watch for it.

RIP, Mr. President.

Kadnine on December 27, 2006 at 8:01 AM

I always thought it was sad that Moonbat Chevy Chase made a career on his parody of Ford being Clumsy. Based on the time Ford stumbled coming off a plane. Actually Ford had been a star football player at Michigan and a superb athlete

Drtuddle on December 27, 2006 at 8:18 AM

A fireball destroyed France today, and Gerald Ford is dead.

RIP.

alflauren on December 27, 2006 at 8:28 AM

He took the Presidency at a most difficult time. At the time I was glued to the TV, watching every moment of history being made. President Ford came in a calmed the nation. He was the right man at the right time. He would have been so much better that Jimmy Carter. Too bad for our country. We are seeing the giants in our recent history passing before our eyes…Reagan, Kirkpatrick, and now Ford. Prayers for his family.

hoosierken on December 27, 2006 at 8:33 AM

All leaders should strive to be like him. At the end of the day, people ask “What did he do?”. The mark of an excellent leader, is they leave no mark.
He served us, the people…God Bless.

right2bright on December 27, 2006 at 8:45 AM

Don’t remember too much about him from my youth, but I do remember my grandmother saying he “did the wrong thing for the right reason” in pardoning Nixon.

Rest in peace, and thank you for your service, Mr. Ford.

SouthernGent on December 27, 2006 at 9:03 AM

My granmother said THE SAME THING, SouthernGent…must be the South…but guess what that leaves us? The scourge of The South…what did your Grandmother say about HIM???

seejanemom on December 27, 2006 at 9:05 AM

I hate to admit this, but my first thought after my wife told me that he had died was, “Okay, so how are the Droogs over at DU and Kos going to trash the man?”

RIP, Mr. President.

Gottafang on December 27, 2006 at 9:09 AM

jaleach on December 27, 2006 at 2:16 AM

No, I don’t think this was a dig at Pres. Bush, but rather at the nations’ worry about Watergate. Look at the context. Not EVERYTHING the MSM does is directed against Pres. Bush.

RIP President Ford; you assumed the presidency at probably the most difficult time, and handled yourself admirably.

dalewalt on December 27, 2006 at 9:22 AM

She called him (who’s name I refuse to type) a “goober”. She was right!

SouthernGent on December 27, 2006 at 9:44 AM

God speed.

One Angry Christian on December 27, 2006 at 9:46 AM

Ford’s rep for being clumsy was actually due to his being left-handed in a right-handed world. The slip on the aircraft stairs is a great example. When he got on the plane they used a stairway with rails on both sides. When he got off, looking and waving at the crowd, he reached to his left for the railing only to learn (the hard way) that there wasn’t one.

My most enduring (and endearing) memory of Ford’s Presidency was the basis for a political cartoon that really did sum it up.
He was scheduled to give a briefing in the press room.
He was announced, everyone stood expectantly…
Odd scratching noises from the direction he usually came in…
Long pause.
President Ford enters from a different direction.
Turned out that the door knob came off in his hand.
The cartoon was Pres. Ford looking down somewhat befuddled at the knob in his hand while standing before a door labled ‘White House’ (it ran just after his electoral defeat).

Perhaps he was such a decent man because he wasn’t elected, sparing him the meatgrinding microscope that was the process even then.

KCSteve on December 27, 2006 at 9:48 AM

All of the kind words and praise for President Ford are all well and good; I also believe that he was a good and decent man, and may God bless and keep him. However, wasn’t he also the man who granted amnesty to all the draft dodgers? That was a slap in the face to all who served and sacrificed honorably, my father among them. Anyone have a problem with that?

tomk59 on December 27, 2006 at 9:53 AM

dalewalt on December 27, 2006 at 9:22 AM

Good observation – I was around then as an adult and remember it as you seem to.

Bradky on December 27, 2006 at 10:08 AM

“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”—-Theodore Roosevelt

God Bless you Mr. Ford. You rolled up your sleeves when no one else would. You pointed ahead when everyone was looking back. God bless you Mr. Ford. Thank you.

Limerick on December 27, 2006 at 10:50 AM

The pardon of Nixon by Ford was one of the most important presidential decisions of the 20th Century, and one of the most courageous and best. Does anyone doubt that the actions of the Nixon administration which led to his resignation have paled in comparison to what we have seen from subsequent presidents? Nixon’s resignation in the face of the gestating hatred of the democrats, which has poisoned the donkey party since then, was overreaction at its worst. Ford’s presidency would have been consumed by Nixon’s travails had he not pardoned Nixon. It was precisely the right thing to do. Legally, morally, and politically. Unpopular? Yes, with some.

Labamigo on December 27, 2006 at 11:02 AM

Ford wanted to stay in Vietnam to the finish, but the Democratic-controlled Congress refused to honor our promises to support the South Vietnamese, and cut off funding for the war. The bloodbath that ensued when the Communists took over in 1975 was their creation, and a national disgrace…
ReubenJCogburn on December 27, 2006 at 2:47 AM

KCSteve on December 27, 2006 at 9:48 AM

Gotta say it: Ford was shot at twice, Reagan once. If he (Ford) was president today, BDS would be FDS.

One of charly manson’s “girls”, lynette “squeeky” fromme was one of the assassins. sara jane moore was the other. Both attempts were in September, 1975.

Speaking of which, I have to include two words: Warren Report

It does not suit to speak ill of the dead so, RIP, Mr. President.

tormod on December 27, 2006 at 11:56 AM

First was Spiro Agnew, then Nixon, & the country was about to implode after watergate. President Ford saved this country months or years of turmoil, somehow. I don’t know if most of us will really ever know what all he accomplished.
The dems gained support & control after watergate, but Ford held strong. I believe he vetoed 65 items in his short presidency.
65 VETOES . Amazing man at an amazing time. Thanks.
Bless you Pres. Ford and your family.

shooter on December 27, 2006 at 12:14 PM

May God Bless you Gerald Ford.

MarkB on December 27, 2006 at 12:45 PM

My sympathies and Prayers for the Ford Family on this day. I never knew you, (I was born the year you took office) but thank you for serving the people of this great country.

Scorched_Earth on December 27, 2006 at 1:03 PM

That was Carter, I believe.

Slublog on December 27, 2006 at 1:03 PM

… However, wasn’t he also the man who granted amnesty to all the draft dodgers? …

tomk59 on December 27, 2006 at 9:53 AM

I think it was Carter who did that.

MattSkosh on December 27, 2006 at 1:17 PM

My mother ran Ronald Reagan’s campaign in Rockford, Il. in 1976 so we viewed Ford as a little soft on communism and to the left on social issues. His big gaffe was not pardoning the draft dodgers but pardoning Nixon. On top of that he said that Poland wasn’t under Soviet domination in a debate with Carter. Without either of those missteps I am sure that he would have been elected in ’76 and the country would have been better for it.

Bill C on December 27, 2006 at 1:17 PM

Slublog, MattSkosh; I wasn’t sure, but if it was indeed Carter, then I stand corrected.

tomk59 on December 27, 2006 at 2:08 PM

Just watching Fox news.While doing a segment on Ford, the scroll on the bottom said that it was Ford who pardoned the Vietnam draft dodgers.I stand uncorrected.

tomk59 on December 27, 2006 at 2:41 PM

I suppose I’m dating myself here, but I went over to ebay to see what a WIN button is worth these days. They didn’t list any! I can’t be the only one who remembers WIN buttons, can I?

kmcguire on December 27, 2006 at 3:42 PM

Well Fox News is wrong, then. Ford created a rather strict conditional amnesty program that required those who dodged the draft to do up to 24 months of alternative service and were required sign broad oath of allegiance to the United States. It was not a pardon.

Carter signed an unconditional amnesty program for those who dodged the draft – Ford’s plan actually made those who did suffer some consequence for their crime.

Slublog on December 27, 2006 at 4:39 PM

For those wondering:

Those that went abroad faced imprisonment or forced military service if they returned home. The U.S. continued to prosecute draft dodgers after the end of the Vietnam War. In 1977, President Jimmy Carter issued an amnesty in the form of a pardon to all remaining draft evaders, as part of a general climate of “cultural reconciliation” after the end of the controversial and unpopular war.

Source

One Angry Christian on December 27, 2006 at 4:39 PM

And guess who resisted the clemency program?

The ACLU, because it wasn’t full amnesty.

When Gerald Ford announced his conditional amnesty program last month, draft evaders and deserters seemed to have only two choices: either submit to the Government’s terms and face up to 24 months of “alternative service,” or remain on the lam—fugitives at home or exiles abroad. In fact, there is also the option of fighting in the courts to win complete freedom. Last week the American Civil Liberties Union announced that it would help that fight by supplying full and free legal services to any evader or deserter.

The more things change…

Slublog on December 27, 2006 at 4:47 PM

Thanks for the great explanations and points, Slublog and One Angry Christian. I should’ve known much better than to just take a comment from Fox news or any other news program for that matter, at face value. Besides, in reading many of your posts Slublog, I consider you far more credible. So I stand corrected again. Just don’t refer to me as a flip flopper,heh heh.

tomk59 on December 27, 2006 at 5:03 PM

Rest in peace, Mr. Ford. I submitted comments to the family at: http://www.geraldfordmemorial.com.

ricer1 on December 27, 2006 at 6:32 PM

Thanks, tomk. I tend not to trust the media mostly because I was a part of it at one time. My bachelor’s is in journalism and if I could go back and change it, I would.

Slublog on December 27, 2006 at 7:26 PM

I already had to smack down some Koz Kid on another site for disparaging remarks about President Ford. Those hateful little bastards can’t contain themselves. The dance in the streets when a repub or conservative dies. They wish death upon all of their “enemies”.

May God grant Mr. Ford eternal peace.

Talon on December 28, 2006 at 1:34 AM

I question the timing.

mikeyboss on December 28, 2006 at 10:35 AM

Talon on December 28, 2006 at 1:34 AM

Kos is so stupid they don’t even realize that Ford was not an enemy. The Dem controlled congress voted for him. He was the consummate peace maker. He could have never been elected because he did not disparage his foes.
He took huge heat from the pardon, but history now shows he did the right thing. Shows you cannot judge accuratly the events that are unfolding.

Another matter, Reid not showing up for a funeral because he wants to see some Inca ruins? This is typical of the ego of the left. They are dispicable. Reid is the majority leader, the congress leader, a head of state, of all people he should be there to do honor. But to the left there is no honor, only anger and bitterness. They have no respect for the office of the President. To them it’s just a place to get a Bleepjob.

right2bright on December 28, 2006 at 10:53 AM

I don’t remember the calendar of events for Nancy Pelosi’s
self-congratulatory self-’coronation’ but I would hate
to see President Ford’s funeral interfere with THAT! At the very least she should have been consulted about the scheduling…..She’s probabably seething.

Anyhoo – if Chelsea’s MOM and her so called spouse attend the memorial service they will for once be sleeping together in the same room. RUN….BILL….RUN!

dbdiva on December 28, 2006 at 1:47 PM