Video: “Transformers” trailer

posted at 1:14 pm on December 20, 2006 by Allahpundit

Looks stupid and amazing, and once you see who the director is that’ll make perfect sense. Spielberg’s producing, which also makes sense: some of this looks an awful lot like “War of the Worlds.” Presumably the soundtrack will feature a perfunctory hip-hop remix of the famous cartoon theme song.

It’ll be out in, um, July, so mark your calendars.

Click the image to watch. You have your choice of full-screen or regular size. I highly recommend the former.

transformers.jpg

Comments

Ugh…what a STUPID idea. I just don’t get the excitement about this. My geek ex boyfriend is nearly beside himself about it. The toys were dumb, the cartoon was dumb, and this is bound to be too.

My apologies to the toy geeks…

tickleddragon on December 20, 2006 at 1:20 PM

What’s stupid about it. It looks like a classic to me.

Gregor on December 20, 2006 at 1:22 PM

The CG looks good, but I would rather see a big budget GI Joe movie.

Snake-Eyes and Stormshadow kick a$$!

natesnake on December 20, 2006 at 1:26 PM

another reason I don’t date non geeks. They just don’t get it.

This movie looks phat. I’m just waiting for the xbox game to go with it. It’ll give me something to do till halo 3 comes out BESIDES gears of war.

One Angry Christian on December 20, 2006 at 1:26 PM

I never watch movies, and I hate Hollywood in general…but I just watched that trailer and was like “That looks totally rad.”

Enrique on December 20, 2006 at 1:28 PM

DUDE!!

DUDE!!

Marines in space now this. (I’ve been following the development of the movie for awhile). This is like an 80′s renaissance.

DUDE!!

Theworldisnotenough on December 20, 2006 at 1:28 PM

Complete with the obligatory “child meets creature” Spielberg moment.
Keep an eye on the next Drew Barrymore.

bbz123 on December 20, 2006 at 1:31 PM

Oh, I love Transformers! I’m looking forward to this movie, not because of the story line, which sounds dumb, but because of the CG and SpEf.

Ian on December 20, 2006 at 1:32 PM

I’m waiting for Speed Buggy.

benrand on December 20, 2006 at 1:33 PM

I don’t remember the Transformers being that scary, but, then again, I was braver man when I was five.

frankj on December 20, 2006 at 1:35 PM

OMG, I’m squealing like a friggin girl! OK, I am girl, but this looks so incredibly wicked. Thank God my son is old enough to see it. There’s no way I’d take a little kid to this.

CookeyD on December 20, 2006 at 1:39 PM

This is a movie I’d love to see on IMAX

Gregor on December 20, 2006 at 1:41 PM

The movie looks like fun, but I’m a little nervous about the “A Michael Bay Film” thing.

Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies? (mild content warning)

Slublog on December 20, 2006 at 1:49 PM

The CG looks good, but I would rather see a big budget GI Joe movie.

I can already guess the plot – GI Joe teams up with AQ to fight Cobra, who has managed to put a Crimson Guardsman/former governor of Texas in the Whitehouse.

I would really like to see a live action version of Robotech, but done as a pan-Asian production. It could be done for half the cost and would be twice as good. Hollywood would screw it up too badly. I’d rather see b-list Western actors instead of the inevitable Ben Affleck and Matt Damon casting.

rw on December 20, 2006 at 1:54 PM

Stu Pid. This will be released straight to broadcast TV. Not even worth a heavily discounted DVD.

RC2 on December 20, 2006 at 1:56 PM

I can already guess the plot – GI Joe teams up with AQ to fight Cobra, who has managed to put a Crimson Guardsman Dreadnock/former governor of Texas in the Whitehouse.

Real close.

natesnake on December 20, 2006 at 1:59 PM

Ever since I heard Michael Bay was involved with this movie, my expectations have been low. But honestly, that trailer looks pretty good. I will say though, that they can make any movie look good for a trailer with two minutes worth of quick cuts and some CGI. So color me cautiously optimistic, I guess.

Nothing will ever beat the original Transformers movie though. Crying when Optimus Prime died is the one shared experience that binds all men of my generation together.

World B. Free on December 20, 2006 at 2:02 PM

You are so out of the man club.

How dare you break the sacred bonds of silence and offer up one of our generations inner circle moments on a public forum.

You should be ashamed.

One Angry Christian on December 20, 2006 at 2:09 PM

Slublog, I almost didn’t have to click the link to know where you were going with that question. Look on the bright side, though. The concept in a movie like this makes it practically director-proof (Let’s face it fans, geeks and “True Believers”…Optimus Prime and Megatron aren’t MacDuff and MacBeth, except by the farthest out of comparisons).

This should be fun…If Team Spielberg hired screenwriters with more than half a brain who, more importantly, LIKED the project they were attached to; (And didn’t overthink it to death…Let’s just leave Tim Robbins alone in his little basement this time, shall we?) just grab a bucket of popcorn, sit down, strap in and enjoy.

52Ranger on December 20, 2006 at 2:10 PM

Tim’s actually a good actor … too bad much like Tom he’s a complete nut ball.

Loved his roll in Wotw.

heh.

One Angry Christian on December 20, 2006 at 2:13 PM

One Angry Christian… I LIKE geeks. And the ex had a fantastic girlfriend, as I’m one of the few women out there that will sit and watch him play video games without complaining. We experienced games TOGETHER, which was one of the better aspects of our relationship – and a contributing factor to the fact that we are still so close. (We’re awaiting his purchase of the Wii, for Zelda. :) I myself, AM a geek in many ways.
With that said, there is NO way that this movie isn’t stupid.

tickleddragon on December 20, 2006 at 2:13 PM

Optimus Prime looks sick in the trailer. It looks like all the Decepticons got changed to different stuff, though, which I guess is fine. The yellow transformer looked like Bumblebee, but it was hard to tell. He looked cool, too. Looks like a fun movie, though I haven’t read much about the plot.

CorinthianJest on December 20, 2006 at 2:15 PM

too much realism it looks to me. i realize the thing has to grab an audience which didn’t play with transformers, but how big is that audience?

the transformers are a bunch of similarly-scaled robots which transform from differently-sized things ranging from walkmans to 18-wheelers. you can’t conform that to a cinematic reality which is capable of suspending the disbelief of anyone over the age of 10.

then the other nonsense comes in: they’re alien robots which were reconstructed by their spaceship’s maintinence system as terrestrial electro-mechanical devices so they could blend into what it interpreted as local life-forms. but their “true” form is humanoid? and how do you explain the dinobots? and why are there sentient machines and non-sentient machines?

stupid stupid stupid. but i loved it! i don’t want to see the dark war of the worlds version. i want them to go through the comic books with a highlighter and bring me the brightly-colored toy commercial i remember – same voice tallent if possible – only in badass cgi.

jummy on December 20, 2006 at 2:15 PM

Niiiiiiiice.

It’s a movie that liberals can feel good about too ’cause the bad guys are machines and thus are only guilty of faulty programming. (sarcasm alert) They’re not “evil” because we know evil doesn’t really exist… only inappropriate choices.

Mojave Mark on December 20, 2006 at 2:15 PM

A movie about the Transformers … it’s about friggin’ time! I was a little too old for the toys and cartoons but I used to watch ‘em with the volume down and the stereo on just ’cause I like the way they were drawn. I love the bad guys that turn into F-15s! Hello, Pentagon, are you gettin’ any ideas here?

I’d like to see a movie based on “Starblazers”. Use the U.S.S. Missouri (or any of the Iowa class battleships) and you already have a winner!

“squealing like a friggin’ girl”

That’s funny.

“Speedbuggy” (Roomazoomzoom!)

Tony737 on December 20, 2006 at 2:16 PM

Now…”Speedbuggy” I could warm up to. Dumb, but too nostalgic to ignore.

tickleddragon on December 20, 2006 at 2:18 PM

But I must say this… This idea is a PERFECT example of why I hate Hollyweird so much now. This is NOT original, but another 70s/80s program regurgitated, due to a lack of original thought in Hollyweird.

tickleddragon on December 20, 2006 at 2:20 PM

here’s another: if the transforemers’ universe distinguished between living and non-liiving machines and the spaceship was a non-living machine equipped to distinguish life from non-life, why was it unable to recognize that cars and helicopters were non-living?

jummy on December 20, 2006 at 2:21 PM

and i second the g.i. joe suggestion.

once again, no new character design or conformation to our universe.

jummy on December 20, 2006 at 2:24 PM

Megatron now transforms into a walkie talkie.

rw on December 20, 2006 at 2:25 PM

i draw the line at J.E.M. and the holograms though.

jummy on December 20, 2006 at 2:25 PM

Um, did you miss this story over the last couple of days? UK report says robots will have rights:

“If we make conscious robots they would want to have rights and they probably should,” said Henrik Christensen, director of the Centre of Robotics and Intelligent Machines at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

In any case, I’ll probably see this movie because it looks nice, despite the fact that the plot and the premise appear to be retarded, and the trailer appears to take itself WAAAAY too seriously.

DaveS on December 20, 2006 at 2:26 PM

Looks okay now, but then any movie can be made to look TOTALLY AWESOME in a trailer.

Interesting modern touches as well, such as the “fake” human pilot in the helicopter that transforms and immediately starts some shiite.

I guess if aliens were really super smart they’d just run for office and implement alien-friendly policies. A lot easier, cheaper, but slower than a full-scale military invasion.

Neo on December 20, 2006 at 2:27 PM

Megatron now transforms into a walkie talkie.

i will kill richard bay.

jummy on December 20, 2006 at 2:27 PM

Dont we already have aliens who do that?

I mean … barbra boxer kinda looks like an … nevermind.

One Angry Christian on December 20, 2006 at 2:32 PM

Michael Bay can rest easy then…

armylawyer on December 20, 2006 at 2:33 PM

I guarantee that this movie will be atleast 50% awesome if not more… for BEHOLD:

Peter Cullen shall voice Optimus Prime.

The Original Voice of Prime RETURNS

That alone makes this movie worth watching.

Jones Zemkophill on December 20, 2006 at 2:36 PM

What is old is new again. *sigh*

What was the date on that again? I need to mark my calendar so I can, um, avoid the theater. Yeah, that’s it, avoid it! Now where did my wife put those dark glasses?

This is going to rank with the top ten guilty pleasures of ’07, I just know it!

Militant Bibliophile on December 20, 2006 at 2:36 PM

Michael Bay can rest easy then…

armylawyer on December 20, 2006 at 2:33 PM

dammit! funny thing is i actually sperlled out “richard bey” first.

jummy on December 20, 2006 at 2:40 PM

i usually sperll egzelently

jummy on December 20, 2006 at 2:41 PM

Peter Cullen shall voice Optimus Prime.

The Original Voice of Prime RETURNS

That alone makes this movie worth watching.

Jones Zemkophill on December 20, 2006 at 2:36 PM

woo hoo!

jummy on December 20, 2006 at 2:43 PM

Tony737 on December 20, 2006 at 2:16 PM

Looks like you might get your wish!

Darksean on December 20, 2006 at 2:53 PM

While they are digg’n on ’80′s pop culture and tapping the 30-something’s nostalgia-well, I’ve got two words for the greatest movie idea evah:

Stawberry Shortcake!

natesnake on December 20, 2006 at 2:54 PM

….or even better:

Care Bears!

natesnake on December 20, 2006 at 2:55 PM

Is it just me or does the screen cap look like a Gwar video?

natesnake on December 20, 2006 at 2:56 PM

OH YEAH!
This is gonna be fun!

The CG looks good, but I would rather see a big budget GI Joe movie.

Snake-Eyes and Stormshadow kick a$$!

Amen! you should check out how GIJOE -> Microman/Micronauts -> Transformers. Its really interesting.

Iblis on December 20, 2006 at 2:57 PM

lacey chavert in the lead role.

ian mackellen as the purple pieman.

jummy on December 20, 2006 at 2:59 PM

Peter Cullen shall voice Optimus Prime.

Hot Damn! I’ll be there.

blogRot on December 20, 2006 at 3:09 PM

I’ve never looked forward to a movie so much.

StoutRepublican on December 20, 2006 at 3:22 PM

Some will come to defend us.
Most will come to destroy us.

Tofu bruncheon at ACLU HQ NYC: “Transformer Rights, you say?”
“Sure hon. And with all the legwork we’ve done vis-à-vis GLBT?”
“Oh snap!”

Stephen M on December 20, 2006 at 3:29 PM

It reminded me of a Godzilla movie, in that you have a good colossus against a villainous colussus, and they’re slugging it out in the city.

Chris L. on December 20, 2006 at 3:34 PM

Sure. But where is the brokeback version?

lorien1973 on December 20, 2006 at 3:47 PM

In re: G.I. Joe movie.. Neal McDonough as Duke. Nuff said.

spmat on December 20, 2006 at 4:06 PM

Wow, this actually looks a lot better than I had expected.

Nonfactor on December 20, 2006 at 4:07 PM

Michael Bay couldn’t make a decent movie if you held a gun to his head, but at least it looks like the visuals will carry some weight this time. That’s not even a given anymore (look at Ang Lee’s execrable in every conceivable way “The Hulk”).

Oh and another positive: No sign at all of Tom Cruise!

Blacklake on December 20, 2006 at 4:09 PM

In re: G.I. Joe movie.. Neal McDonough as Duke. Nuff said.

Good call.

natesnake on December 20, 2006 at 4:14 PM

Am I the only one who finds it just a tad scary that people deconstruct and debunk the logic behind a cartoon concept?

When I want to flame a movie, I pick one that pretends to portray reality, or a semblance thereof, such as Top Gun. When it comes to stories based on cartoons, comics, original fantasy etc., you just gotta drop reality off at the curb, and have fun. I mean, do you bust on Spiderman as easily? How about X-Men? Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? Ok, that was going to far.

But they are just movies, they don’t have to be more realistic than Farenheit 911 to be enjoyable.

More than meets the eye…

Freelancer on December 20, 2006 at 4:46 PM

If they make a GI Joe flick, it will be ruinied.

Best to let the memories of playing in the backyard with Mike Power, Atomic Man and my Mobile Support Vehicle and Seawolf be…they’ll F it up.

benrand on December 20, 2006 at 5:04 PM

Hopefully, Macross: Do You Remember Love or one of the Gundam movies will be next.

allie on December 20, 2006 at 5:34 PM

Sequels, remakes, re-do’s.

Not an original idea anywhere in Hollywood these days.

Sigh.

georgej on December 20, 2006 at 5:52 PM

Granted Michael Bay isn’t Shakespeare, but what do you want in an Sci-Fi/Action flick. (cast & crew)

If your expecting a gut wrenching drama with fantastic lines… your going to be in the wrong film. If your looking for a fun romp with plenty of eye-candy visual effects and killer action sequences… then you’ll more than likely walk out happy.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 20, 2006 at 5:57 PM

I’ve always said that Michael Bay’s real talent lies in making slick looking trailers. Feature films with things like character, story and dialogue seem to be beyond him.

But that’s just my opinion.

MoxArgon on December 20, 2006 at 6:57 PM

Peter Cullen shall voice Optimus Prime.

The Original Voice of Prime RETURNS

That alone makes this movie worth watching.

Thinking back, Optimus Prime may just be why I went into engineering….

I’m never excited about movies but this one…YES!

Now when does the Thundercats movie come out?

NTWR on December 20, 2006 at 7:58 PM

Wow, thanks DarkSean! Is that all I gotta do is ask??? Ask and ye shall receive?

ehhemm … Ya knooooow, what I’D reeeeally like to see … is a million dollars in my bank account!

…waiting…

*crickets*

Oh well, it was worth a try. Anyway, thanks for the info, DarkSean!

Tony737 on December 20, 2006 at 9:39 PM

Am I the only one who is concerned that Spielberg is involved in this? I mean, it has been my recent experience that some massive part of Spielberg’s endeavors suck hard. I’ll give you three examples to prove it.

Munich, the movie that only a soft hearted, soft headed liberal could make. Unless of course you understand the reality, that the Islamic terrorists were the real heroes (or at least victims) of the whole affair.

The miniseries Into the West (in fairness, I knew going in that it was going to be this way). I’ll admit, the first episode or two was pretty good, but after that it was all hate whitey all the time. It was so bad that when they got to Wounded Knee, I was surprised that they actually did the thing with the deaf guy, in lieu of having them just open fire immediately.

The miniseries Taken, which was the last thing I’ve seen by Spielberg that was good, because, as far as I noticed, there weren’t a lot of chances for his idiotic ideas to come through. However, as good as the rest of the miniseries was, the ending was truly craptacular. However in this case, I’ll give him credit because there wasn’t a lot else that he could have done.

Wolfman on December 20, 2006 at 9:43 PM

This is jsut what this kid who grew up in the 80′s has been waiting for!!!!

Starscream as a F-22 will be awesome. That’s a killer plane and it’ll be cool to see it transform.

The Megatron tank images I’ve seen seem a bit overdone but…

Yakko77 on December 20, 2006 at 9:49 PM

Don Murphy is a producer, or something, on this. Don Murphy is a piece of human excrement. He is a horrible, horrible human being. He posted some pathetic, personal attack on someone (Patricia Heaton, I believe) pretty much for the fun of calling her a “worthless whore.” This was linked by Ms. Malkin. I argued with the trolls who inhabit that site (including one who had >20,000 posts!), who defended him. I finally told them that I got there via the link from Ms. Malkin’s site.

So, Don Murphy himself appears. What does he do, in response to my challenges about his hateful, pointless, personal attacks? (1) He dismisses Ms. Malkin by a crude sexual insult (something about having to boil his reproductive organs after having sex with her, as if he ever has the opportunity to have sex with non-inflatable objects) (2) bans me from his website.

On this basis alone, everyone should refuse to see or support anything related to Transformers. It is really hard to describe what a loathesome individual he is.

Watergate on December 21, 2006 at 1:17 AM

Starscream was always my favorate Decepticon; too bad, but I think the guy who voiced him (as well as Cobra Commander) died not too long ago.

Wanting to see Iron Hide and Wheeljack in it.

- The Cat

MirCat on December 21, 2006 at 2:51 AM

I’m with you, Cat, Starscream was too cool. A red, white and blue F-15 with an attitude problem! He also had to coolest voice (when I wasn’t drowning him out with Van Halen). I remember wishing they’d make a cartoon about the U.S. Air Force having the same technology, but have it piloted by a human, kinda like Robotek.

As for a G.I. movie … please don’t embarrass the U.S. Military! I can just hear it now: “America can’t win in Iraq, so they make movies because that’s the only way they can win!” And who’s the bad guy? “Cobra”? The animal rights wackos will go nuts! I remember thinking as a kid “Cobra? Shouldn’t they be fighting the Russians or the Libyians?”

I have a better idea, instead of G.I. Joe, make a movie about the book “Jawbreaker” and show the world what America really CAN do! Or, a movie based on the book “We Were One” about the battle of Fallujah.

Tony737 on December 21, 2006 at 5:28 AM

On a side note, studio sources report that the all-time trailer download record was broken today by the TF teaser. It beat Spider Man 3 by a landslide. Just though you would like to know.

Nelson – Site Administrator on Michael Bay’s official website Shoot for the Edit

It may not be deep and life changing, but as my friend said, it certainly looks to be a very fun ride, and very pretty too. ;-) Grab your popcorn!

Wanting to see Iron Hide and Wheeljack in it.

- The Cat

The voice actor was Chris Latta. He passed away in 1994 from a cerebral hemmorage. He had a long history of drug and alcohol abuse, had finally gotten clean, and then died from that instead. He was a Standup Comic (not like Michael Richards), played many characters in cartoons ranging from GI Joe and Transformers, to characters in Inhumanoids and more. He also stared in Star Trek the Next Generation as the Pacled (sp?) commander and as a Klingon. He left behind a wife and a son.

As for the commentary on Don Murphy, I don’t like him personally. His political views are not my own, and he’s probably the most vulgar, brash and insensitive man I’ve ever heard of, but I give him credit for helping make the Transformers live action movie a reality…and that’s about it.

Hopefully, they didn’t totally screw it up.

DakRoland on December 21, 2006 at 7:20 AM

Megatron doesn’t stand a chance against Aaron Pierce (Glenn Morshowski, from 24)

BigOrangeAxe on December 21, 2006 at 5:41 PM