Video: “The Star Wars Holiday Special”

posted at 7:32 pm on December 20, 2006 by Allahpundit

The fact that the Transformers post got more comments than almost any other today tells me most of you have already checked out of the hard news with Christmas approaching. Fair enough. It’s almost here — we’ve got gay nativity scenes, homework assignments for nine-year-olds informing them that Santa doesn’t exist, and an honest to goodness virgin birth.

We’ve got this, too. I honestly didn’t know it was available online. Widely regarded as two of the worst hours of television ever aired in the United States, and after skimming through it, I can see why. It’s in two parts: the first is here but I recommend the second, both because of the Bea Arthur cameo and the magnificent stupidity of Harrison Ford conversing with a family of Wookiees. That starts at about 28 minutes in. Click the image below to watch.

And when you’re done, click here. It’ll keep you busy for days.

solo.jpg

Comments

This is freakin’ hilarious. They were playing clips on this on the Opie and Anthony show on XM…it’s George Lucas at his finest (worst…). I mean…come on…Bea Arthur owns the bar!

I wonder if the little wookies know their daddy is an interstellar space smuggler.

Fight the system….hahaha…

StoutRepublican on December 20, 2006 at 7:35 PM

Hmm.. It’s not loading properly for me. All I am getting is the first 7 seconds, and then it cuts out.

wearyman on December 20, 2006 at 7:40 PM

Bogus list IMHO, no “Hardrock,Coco and Joe”??????

LAME!

bbz123 on December 20, 2006 at 7:41 PM

Is it the weekend already? ;-)

JetBoy on December 20, 2006 at 8:06 PM

I think the “24” parody is my favorite thus far.

Slublog on December 20, 2006 at 8:14 PM

AP, it’s like you’re enacting “White and Nerdy” post by post.

spmat on December 20, 2006 at 8:15 PM

No complaints here, though. It’s all I’ve been doing on my blog for the past two months.

spmat on December 20, 2006 at 8:16 PM

This is much better than the prequels. ZING!

Alex K on December 20, 2006 at 8:39 PM

So, who’s going to the HotAir Christmas Party??

EF on December 20, 2006 at 8:42 PM

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!! I only watched the Han Solo part. He was my first celebrity crush. I used to be the biggest Star Wars fanatic, it was too ridiculous. I had read the script of Episode 2 two years before it came out! The wonders of the internet, hey?

Sheesh.

emmaline1138 on December 20, 2006 at 9:42 PM

I’m stunned. I was there in the seventies, my formative years, high school and college. I was a huge Star Wars fan. But I never saw this. Was this shit actually televised? I must have been at a football game, or out at the dancehall, thank goodness.

How did we survive the 70s?

juliesa on December 20, 2006 at 9:53 PM

Hey, I thought George Lucas had forked over megabucks to collect and suppress all evidence of this travesty. I read that he had accounted for all copies. How did this one slip through?

Mark V. on December 20, 2006 at 10:41 PM

This is the best Star Wars EVER!

stonemeister on December 21, 2006 at 12:55 AM

Know what was WORSE? Earlier that summer, when the world was hairline deep into STARWARSMANIA, I remember watching a Donny & Marie show where they dedicated the last 15 minutes of the show to a musical tribute to STAR WARS. Donny dressed as Luke, Marie dressed as Leia (complete with bagel braided hair), Anthony Daniels was there at C-3PO, so was Chewie, Kris Kristofferson dressed in Han Solo’s costume.

It was abhorrent. Worst part was when a bunch of dancing Stormtroopers burst through a door and did a song to the tune of “Get Ready (‘Cause Here I Come),” and the first line is burned into my brain because of how awful it was:

“We’re Darth Vader’s Raiders. . .”

I watched it at the house of a friend of mine. When it was over, his mom, a rather plain-spoken country woman, said, “Is that the shit you all are so worked up about?”

We tried to convince her otherwise. She didn’t buy it.

Gottafang on December 21, 2006 at 9:09 AM

Classic!!

vcferlita on December 21, 2006 at 9:32 AM

I had the unique distinction of being the only kid on the block who was able to accurately imitate the Wookiee grunts, howls and growls. I was all excited to see my most favorite SW character and starship again. I watched the broadcast with my little sister that November 17. and I remember the date because I hoped the following years it would rebroadcast. My friends and I discussed the first appearance of Boba Fett and thought his helmet was sooo cool. In more hushed tones we agreed Diane Carrol was a major hottie and reminded us of Donna Summer’s love to love ya baby

I can now see the incredible ick factor with this production and the need to avoid this; but, I would rather watch this than Santa Claus vs the Martians with a young Pia Zadora (where is she now?) or A Christmas Story and that stupid leg lamp.

If rosie wants an example of Chinese accents maybe she should direct her attention to the scene of the waiters in the restaurant singing ‘Deck The Halls’

allie on December 21, 2006 at 12:19 PM

I remember watching this as a child during its one-and-only broadcast. My naive young mind assumed it would become a perennial favorite like Charlie Brown or Rudolf, and that I could watch it every December.

Of course, it is an awful show. Yet it amazes me that the mind that spawned ewoks and Jar Jar Binks could feel any embarrassment over this production. I didn’t think Lucas was capable of the feeling.

Incidently, the link to fanpop is great. The video of Billy Idol singing “Jingle Bell Rock” alone is worth the price of admission.

Coyote D. on December 21, 2006 at 3:31 PM