Iraqi jihadis have their own TV network?

posted at 10:44 am on December 19, 2006 by Allahpundit

If you’d told me on 9/11 that this was technologically or strategically possible, I’d have laughed at you.

Yet here we are.

Most hours of the day it plays footage of U.S. soldiers in Iraq being shot and blown up in insurgent attacks, often with religious chants or Saddam Hussein-era nationalist anthems in the background. There are segments warning Iraq’s Sunni Arabs to be wary of Shiite Muslims, and occasional English-language commentary and subtitles clearly meant to demoralize U.S. troops…

Iraqi government efforts to track down the renegade station have come to naught. No one’s quite sure where it broadcasts from or even who is behind it. Iraqi national security advisor Mowaffak Rubaie and a senior U.S. military official said it was broadcasting from somewhere near the Kurdish city of Irbil at one point and recently signed a distribution deal with the Egyptian satellite company NileSat.

That’s from today’s LA Times. Pajamas Media had this story three days ago and what’s more, they claim to know where the signal’s coming from. So does Bill Roggio, who had this nine days ago.

Where else? Syria.

From that secret studio somewhere in Syria, al-Zawraa TV’s signal extends to the entire Arab world thanks to a satellite owned by Egypt, Pajamas Media has learned…

The channel’s reach is not limited to Iraq—a fact that highlights the Egyptian government’s apparent permissiveness. Al-Zawraa is broadcast on Nilesat, a satellite administered by the Egyptian government. Through Nilesat, al-Zawraa’s signal blankets the Middle East and North Africa, thus ensuring that the insurgents’ message reaches the entire Arab world.

Al-Zawraa TV began broadcasting on November 14. The channel was set up by the Islamic Army of Iraq, an insurgent group comprised of former Baathists who were loyal to Saddam Hussein and now profess a conversion to a bin Laden-like ideology…

That’s the same Egyptian government that receives $2 billion a year in U.S. foreign aid.

So why hasn’t it been shut down? Because, according to Roggio, the military wants it on the air:

While the Iraqi soldiers and interpreters want al-Zawraa shut down, members of the U.S. intelligence community disagree. According to a military intelligence officer serving in Iraq, U.S. intelligence doesn’t want to shut al-Zawraa down as it provides intelligence on the insurgents activities. When I asked senior American military and intelligence sources about shutting down pro-jihadi websites in the past, they expressed the same sentiment.

According to the Times, though, “[s]ome U.S. military officers shrug off Al Zawraa, saying it rarely broadcasts anything new.” Roggio himself says he recognized a lot of its programming as recycled jihadi recruitment videos, too. Where’s the intel value in that, especially vis-a-vis the propaganda value? But judge for yourself: the Times quotes a bit of narration from one program referencing Michael Moore that I recognized instantly:

Even Michael Moore’s “Fahrenheit 911,” the 2004 documentary critical of the Bush administration’s foreign policy, gets drawn into the commentary.

“After all, there are honest guys in America,” the announcer says in comments directed at President Bush. “If Mr. Moore can talk to you like that, so can I.”

We had it back in September. It’s “The Code of Silence.”

Comments

IS MUJ any worse than ABC, CBS, MSNBC, NBC, and PBS.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on December 19, 2006 at 10:58 AM

So the content is the same as CNN as is their intent.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 19, 2006 at 11:02 AM

Does David Gregory do live remotes from the WH Lawn for them?

cms on December 19, 2006 at 11:07 AM

Speaking of TV networks. Just to illustrate how bad our media coverage is…all 4 major cable news nets are covering live “news” about Miss USA!!! Now this is breaking news!

Right Tracker on December 19, 2006 at 11:13 AM

What time does “Queer Eye for the Straight Jihadist” come on?

Oh yeah…I forgot they killed all the queer guys.

Rosetta on December 19, 2006 at 11:20 AM

Future home of Olberdunce?

JammieWearingFool on December 19, 2006 at 11:24 AM

I’ve found my niche with her. What’s the news?

JammieWearingFool on December 19, 2006 at 11:25 AM

The U.S. military knows exactly where that station is broadcasting from. As a HAM radio operator, I know that it is a simple matter to track down a transmitting station.
We call it fox hunting. You better believe the U.S. is better at it than that. Probably had it pin pointed in less than 5 minutes.

Gooch on December 19, 2006 at 12:07 PM

You know……… when the enemy of the United States puts out propaganda that mirrors the talking points of the MSM and the Democratic Party, and brave United States soldiers actually are killed as the result, who holds these Michael Foxtrots accountable? Isn’t treason an infraction anymore?

PinkyBigglesworth on December 19, 2006 at 12:15 PM

I wonder how long before Rosie has her own show there…….

George Bruce on December 19, 2006 at 12:23 PM

I don’t comment much, as I enjoy the statements from others who are probably better informed about some of these issues; but, dammit this just made me mad. I can understand the value of gathering intellegence on our enemies by watching this unaldulerated crapola, but damn son – when and where do we draw the line. As an aside, I am surprised that the MSM hasn’t borrowed cuts from this terrorist network for the evening news…

Coastian on December 19, 2006 at 3:22 PM

Coastian,

That is coming..just a matter of time. I did not see enough outrage coming from the american public over cnn’s broadcast of the sniper who shot our american troop. I thought for sure they’d stand up, but I heard a blurp then nothing.

I also see it coming unfortunately the day that channels like that will be transmitted in the USA under the “free speech..just turn your dial if you don’t like it” campaign. I’m sure that is on Cair’s agenda after they soften the public up some more. Isn’t it canada that now has Al Jazeera on it’s cable system?

Highrise on December 19, 2006 at 5:04 PM

I wonder if a HARM can follow the signal back to it’s source?

Tony737 on December 19, 2006 at 8:23 PM

Tony737 writes: “I wonder if a HARM can follow the signal back to it’s source?”

Not needed. I’m sure they know the location of the uplink already.

georgej on December 20, 2006 at 2:23 AM