Breaking: Capt. Jamil Hussein located? Update: E&P can barely contain its excitement!

posted at 9:05 pm on December 16, 2006 by Allahpundit

Armed Liberal says he might have a positive ID — at the Yarmouk police station, no less, just like the AP said. Notably, he spells the first name “Jamail,” not “Jamil.” Could I have been right about a possible snafu with Arabic names? Could Patterico be right with his “third way” theory? Or could it be that the AP was right all along and we’re about to eat a huge shinola sandwich?

So many questions!

Update: So many, many questions!

Update: Patterico notes that Editor & Publisher is so tweaked about this development, they’ve filed a Sunday report on it. And guess who’s quoted! Here’s how the piece ends:

Allahpundit, posting at Malkin’s adjunct Hot Air blog, commented, “And what of the boss’s trip? Are she and Eason Jordan still going to be knocking on doors in Hurriya? So many questions!”

The tag for the story on the Hot Air home page currently reads, “Anyone got any good recipes for crow?”

Not mentioned in the E&P piece: a single one of the lingering questions raised by See-Dubya in the two posts at Junkyard Blog that I linked above. But that’s what you get from a paper edited by Greg Mitchell, whose first instinct when any case of journalistic fraud is alleged is to smear the bloggers who brought it to public attention — even when the evidence of fraud comes from journalists themselves.

Oh, and don’t worry — I’m not going to rewrite or delete the tag about us possibly having to eat crow. When I’m wrong, I don’t try to defraud my readers by hiding the evidence. Unlike some people.

Comments

If there was a snafu of 1 letter with an arabic name, then the Iraqis have to be the dumbest mutha$&@$#&^%)ers on the planet.

We’ll see tomorrow.

Mazztek on December 16, 2006 at 9:19 PM

Yeah…problem with that.

see-dubya on December 16, 2006 at 9:21 PM

I vote for Door #2 Allah, the “used to be a policeman” who still has credentials to “prove” he is legit.
Still..IF he is a “real” source then he has a LOT of explaining to do!

labwrs on December 16, 2006 at 9:27 PM

Even if he is a real person, with all of the facts that go against his little fairy tale he and AP are still lying scum.

bbz123 on December 16, 2006 at 9:28 PM

Well done See-Dubya! My bet would be the former Iraqi policeman under Saddam but no longer on the payroll theory.

Scot on December 16, 2006 at 9:34 PM

Thanks, Scot. I may be way wrong here but since the AP exaggerated the number of burned mosques and implicitly admitted as much, and that story originated with Jamil Hussein, I think it’s fair to press them on this issue.

see-dubya on December 16, 2006 at 9:38 PM

The issue really isn’t whether or not this guy exists. The issue is if the incident actually happened, and if the man the AP lists as the source is – or is not – a trustworthy source.

Even if he does exist, there’s got to be a very good reason the AP did not simply produce him in order to stop all the questions.

If he is indeed for real, I’m guessing his history is going to prove him to be less than the “trusted source” the AP has claimed.

Gregor on December 16, 2006 at 9:39 PM

1. Where are the burned mosques?
2. Where are the burned people?
3. Why doesn’t the appropriate Iraqi Ministry know of this person?
And on and on and on.

Sorry, AP. I’m not digging out any crow recipes yet until a lot more questions are answered.

rmgraha on December 16, 2006 at 10:13 PM

Color me skeptical. al-AP’s had plenty of time to create some very convincing paperwork in the time since the story broke and real or not he’s been reporting a lot of things no one else seems to be able to verify.

bdfaith on December 16, 2006 at 10:52 PM

BTW, when I say AP, I’m referring to the all-knowing, all-seeing, all-posting AllahPundit. When I talk about the Associated (with terrorists) Press, I’ll say Associated (with terrorists) Press.

rmgraha on December 16, 2006 at 10:55 PM

Noo. Not with Eason claiming how logistically complicated it all is, to travel there, and security and all those things. WHy, it’s that old hat for roving journalists or is it just excuses for not getting out where the story is?

If a teenage boy from Florida can plop himself into Bagdad then Eason Jordan shouldn’t claim how tough it all is to get there.

naliaka on December 16, 2006 at 10:58 PM

Too little, too late. Put the crow back in the freezer. Dan Rather probably came up with the papers for that one. Plus, there are no bodies. I believe it takes a sustained 2000 degrees to cremate a body. Kerosene just won’t do that.

R D on December 16, 2006 at 11:21 PM

Florida teenager : tips on how to get to Iraq by a 16 year old, budding “Immersion journalist.”
Eason Jordan, big media honcho,soo much experience, backpedaling: “It’s so complicated …”
Maybe Jordan is nervous about what the new Iraqi government thinks of his own journalistic abilities and obvious leanings.

naliaka on December 16, 2006 at 11:28 PM

Again isnt just a story about one story “The burning bodies”

AP News has repeatedly stated that it has used this source and other police sources to back up their Iraqi stories.

There is real serious and pervasive abuse by the AP of using stringers who may or may not have ties to the Insurgents.

AP News needs to upfront that its sources are suspect. I dont care if its a Baghdad Police officer or a government offical. The AP News NEEDS to let its readers know that its sources inside Iraq cant not be completely verified and that ANY story out of their has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Blindly accepting and passing on enemy propaganda is no excuse for “doing the news”

William Amos on December 17, 2006 at 12:44 AM

Whatever. The AP is still a lying propaganda machine regardless if Hussein is real or not. This was (is?) just one in an endless string of “questionable” incidents that have made rational people into total sceptics about AP agendas and veracity. They still need to go down.

Halley on December 17, 2006 at 2:06 AM

I don’t care what they say. I think this guy really doesn’t exsist. Seriously, the AP is the last bunch of people that have any credibility.

Catie96706 on December 17, 2006 at 2:17 AM

Don’t start roasting that bird yet….

1. A similar name does not prove that the source is not bogus.

2. A “face” to go with the name does not prove that (a) the “source” actually exists, (b) that the source is a policeman, and (c) that the source is NOT an Al Qaeda operative.

3. I question the timing. Seriously. HOW CONVENIENT! Why is this person produced NOW and not when the controversy over the existance of the “source” started. They should have been able to produce him within no more than 48 hours. How do we know that they haven’t simply “invented” the character and that this isn’t just more fraud.

I’m not going to take the Associated Press’s word for ANYTHING, given that fact that the attrocity never happened.

georgej on December 17, 2006 at 2:23 AM

If it IS so, I think the sammich will be something other than shinola.

james hooker on December 17, 2006 at 3:27 AM

Here’s an interesting take on this story, posted over 2 weeks ago.

To get a sense, here’s a little extract for your enjoyment:

Malkin dismissed the original reporting on Haditha as so much “hyperventilation” and attacked “the leakers,” and when her story collapsed, she still managed to blame those dirty liberals. Powerline blamed Jack Murtha.

The cold reality, backed up by case after case, is that the information being released by the American military in Iraq for the duration of this misbegotten war has been not merely PR on steroids, but a psy ops operation targeting the Iraqi population only tangentially. Its chief target all along has been the American public.

The first people to come into conflict with such operatations (sic) have always been journalists, particularly those trying honestly to do their jobs. This has always been the case, and will always be so.

What’s new in the mix is all the Cheetos-stained wretches back home whose “independence” leads them to swallow whole the story offered by government authorities with a proven track record of propagating false information.

And here we thought stenography was a problem with the press corps. It’s got nothing on the right-wing blogosphere.

I’d have to go with this analysis. Thanks for the post Allahpundit, and for having the integrity to revisit this issue.

And they ask me why I come back here.

THeDRiFTeR on December 17, 2006 at 4:13 AM

Let’s say this is a leftover Saddam era employee…he isn’t an Iraqi policeman anymore, therefore, you don’t call him that.

Pam on December 17, 2006 at 8:07 AM

Ummmm… has anyone tried just CALLING the dam Police Station??? and asking for Jamail???

You know, they do have these things called phones… even in the Middle East!!

Romeo13 on December 17, 2006 at 9:07 AM

Our enemies are very clever and media savvy. They have played the Un-American press like a fiddle for years. Assuming the side of the enemy in this issue, if I were busted as they were in exaggerating an incident and had the time to make a counter move, I would find a “volunteer” to pose as said source. If the heat were to continue to rise, create another diversion, as I mentioned in an earlier comment, where the “source” would again disappear and then re-appear once more but this time at room temperature on the side of the road. End of story.

But I think people like our intrepid hostess are much smarter than our enemies and even a ruse as described above would be exposed. I think Michelle will “dog” this issue to a clear resolution.

Zorro on December 17, 2006 at 10:28 AM

If he existed, or was ‘created’ there are many stories to be confirmed yet. Immolation theory being only the first of 60 or more? Burnt mosques should be hard to replicate, unless they buried them already as well.

shooter on December 17, 2006 at 11:06 AM

How many friggin’ Husseins do they have over there? Honestly, is that name like the John Smith of the Middle East?

I agree with the majority of commenters here. The veracity of the story goes far beyond the existence (or not) of a particular person with that name. There’s an old requisite in common law: corpus delecti… produce the bodies of the deceased.

SailorDave on December 17, 2006 at 12:00 PM

And they ask me why I come back here.

THeDRiFTeR on December 17, 2006 at 4:13 AM

Yeh, “cheeto-stained wretches” is the apogee of critical reporting and analysis.

Psy Ops ? Really? Don’t know much about that subject do you or you wouldn’t have embarrassed yourself by regurgitating that stupid, worthless, opinion-piece.
We’re in a World War against Islamofascism, Iraq was only a battlefield in that war – like Axis power Italy was in World War II. Like Germany and Italy and Japan, Iraq is now going through a period of reconstruction. The US military is in security mode – keeping the neighboring wolves of Iran, and Syria, and free violent agent Al-Queda at bay until the Iraqis can secure themeselves. How hard is it to understand? Historical percedent for the need for this security presence? Eastern Europe and the USSR. Once US troops withdrew, the USSR moved in and imposed totalitarian communism on unwilling populations. If you insist on calling Iraq a war, then don’t be surprised if people insist on calling you an ignorant tool.

naliaka on December 17, 2006 at 12:00 PM

naliaka on December 17, 2006 at 12:00 PM

A world war? Wow! And Iraq “was”? And only? A battlefield? Ok, nuff said ’bout embarrassing myself huh? Thanks for the input.

THeDRiFTeR on December 17, 2006 at 12:20 PM

Hey Drifter — I notice a trend in your comments lately taking (mild) digs at Michelle. Something yesterday about her “sneering”? And now the one here.

People are e-mailing me about it because that’s normally grounds for immediate banning. Next time, it will be. Okay?

Allahpundit on December 17, 2006 at 12:26 PM

There’s another explaination:

Capt. Jamil Hussein is the name of the precinct parrot. And occaisonally it flies to the report wire, tears off a page, and faxes the info to the AP.

It doesn’t collect a payroll, and nobody would think “Jamil” the parrot is actually the same Jamil Hussein who’s been leaking the false info.

Nethicus on December 17, 2006 at 12:33 PM

OK.

THeDRiFTeR on December 17, 2006 at 12:33 PM

But can I still take digs at Bryan and Ian?

Just so that I know where I can go.

THeDRiFTeR on December 17, 2006 at 12:57 PM

Just so that I know where I can go.
THeDRiFTeR on December 17, 2006 at 12:57 PM

While you are going, why don’t you enlighten yourself with some real information because you don’t know much about the definition of “war” nor “fronts” nor “offensives” nor “flanks” nor “theatres” – well your definition of “theatres” would be “multiplexes.”

naliaka on December 17, 2006 at 1:45 PM

I’m still skeptical. Until I see an AP guy on camera, WITH Jamil Hussein (blur his face if you have to), and an Iraqi MOI guy, saying “Oh, you mean THIS Jamil Hussein?”, I’ll remain skeptical.

I’m trying to think of that movie where they were dragging around a corpse, passing him off as a living guy…what the hell was the name of that movie?

flipflop on December 17, 2006 at 2:34 PM

Weekend at Bernies was the movie.

AZPatriot on December 17, 2006 at 2:49 PM

I’d say the jury is still out. WAAAY out. If this were the only time that these morons had attempted to fool us them maybe… just maybe, I’d believe them.

However, we’re a long time since they had any credibility.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on December 17, 2006 at 3:55 PM

No need to eat crow.

The story is rife with contradictions, evidence of fraud, and propaganda.

We shall see how this story unfolds.

Nevertheless, it is clear that, as Allah stated in the update, these people attack bloggers for pointing out the fraud and deception that they, the reporters-media actually perpetrate. “Who are YOU to call attention to my bad behavior. You bloggers are bad!”

They act like they never have to say “I’m sorry.”

They think the sun rises out of their nether regions and that their feet smell like gardenias!

William

William2006 on December 17, 2006 at 3:57 PM

I understand the tag line was facetious, but really why would someone investigating an allegation eat crow when they finally land an answer?

I guess that’s lost on most of the journalists these days considering most articles are written with the assumption being the base and the story fleshing out what the writer wants to happen rather than what happens fleshing out what the author writes.

One Angry Christian on December 17, 2006 at 4:17 PM

Checks and balances Allah. It’s all good.

Drtuddle on December 17, 2006 at 5:29 PM

Patterico has an update, spoke to Armed Liberal and AL may have a massive scoop tonight…from my read, doesn’t look like it will make Greg Mitchell too happy! (Or Allah needs a crow recipe)

Topsecretk9 on December 17, 2006 at 6:22 PM

Here’s a new rule of thumb:

If you give an inimical news organization long enough to substantiate an “eye-witness” account, it will find someone who (1) is of the right sex and age, who (2) has correctly learned “his” name, whether it was acquired at birth or just yesterday, and who (3) has correctly learned “his” story.

Really, you can’t give a biased press organ an indefinite time-out to get their sh*t together. This is like giving Iraq eighteen months to move its WMD to Syria (while you p*ss away your first Presidential term in “UN diplomacy”), and then expecting to find any WMD in Iraq. To my way of thinking, E&P gets a week, or two weeks maximally, to produce their “witnesses.” Nor is just one “witness” enough.

Kralizec on December 17, 2006 at 9:22 PM

Yeah nice title choice Allah. clap clap clap….

angryamerican on December 17, 2006 at 9:56 PM

Capt. Jamil Hussein located?

Wait a minute…How do we that this guy isn’t just another Elvis impersonator? How do we know they didn’t just manufacture this guy on-the-fly, out of thin air?

CyberCipher on December 17, 2006 at 11:21 PM

Need I remind everyone that Borat was COMPLETELY a manufactured personality. A significant number of people more-or-less “fell all over themselves” in the misguided belief that he was the genuine article.

CyberCipher on December 17, 2006 at 11:27 PM

Seriously Drifter, you told us you weren’t going to post here anymore. What gives?

Rick on December 18, 2006 at 12:04 AM

Kudo’s to Allah and Hot Air for so visibly posting a correction. This is FAR MORE than you will EVER get from the MSM. Thanks to Allah, Michelle, and the Hot Air team for making this a site where people really are informed.

thedecider on December 18, 2006 at 12:46 AM

CyberCipher on December 17, 2006 at 11:27 PM

Just so, CyberCipher.

Consider my comment and CyberCipher’s together, and then consider how many weeks Editor & Publisher (or whoever is making this fine use of their gullibility) has had to “edit and publish” a “witness” with the right name, personality, and story. Remember the old, tart blasphemy? Here it is, reduced to a formula: “X is so useful that, if X didn’t exist, we would have to make him up.” Such transparent frauds become more repugnant as they’re warmed up and served again and again, like moldering leftovers.

Kralizec on December 18, 2006 at 3:32 AM

This sh*t makes me crave destruction all the more.

Kralizec on December 18, 2006 at 3:34 AM

thedecider on December 18, 2006 at 12:46 AM

“thedecider,”

That makes sense.

I think I just take it for granted that Michelle Malkin walks higher ground than many of the shrill, irrational peers walk, so it is common for Michelle to actually tell the truth, no matter which way it points.

Since Allah refers to her as “the boss,” it appears that Allah would be of like mind and also tell the truth without reservation.

That is what I expect from true conservative persons.

They have once again demonstrated their honesty and integrity.

William

William2006 on December 18, 2006 at 4:20 AM

Well said Allah; and even those of us who don’t always agree with you very much appreciate it.

Cary on December 18, 2006 at 8:34 AM

I logged on in a hurry to comment, because I thought Allah’s update said “E&P can barely contain it’s excrement“…

Jaibones on December 18, 2006 at 9:30 AM

What does it mean when a MSM outlet is unwilling or unable to defend their own story and has to rely on bloggers to come to their defense? Regardless of the outcome, AP has been upstaged by the pajamas media, even if it wasn’t by Pajamas Media. I’m starting to think Time magazine was right in their Person of the Year pick.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 18, 2006 at 10:53 AM

I’m not sure why crow may have to be eaten. My understanding, all along, was that AP was being challenged to produce this source. They haven’t. Someone may have rooted him out, but so what? If he really exists, fine…why couldn’t AP have simply produced him and ended the controversy.

That said, who knows if this is the guy.

Blaise on December 18, 2006 at 1:50 PM

Seems to me that any crow-eating may be premature.

flipflop on December 18, 2006 at 3:48 PM

I find it sad that the left is more willing to jump on a “gotcha” attempt to be causious by someone like Allahpundit yet have no words of worry about if AP News is being used by Islamic extremists to send out their message.

Which is the far greater thing to have concern for ?

William Amos on December 18, 2006 at 3:55 PM

Rick on December 18, 2006 at 12:04 AM

Rick, he’s really a good guy. I disagree with him most of the time but I like having opposing views on board. It makes it interesting and at times feisty.

Besides, I like it when the Drifter is objective, like today, when he gave credit to AP. Also, it’s a good sign when the intelligent opposition visits because they like it. I’m glad our friend is back.

Entelechy on December 18, 2006 at 8:02 PM

I know I’m coming in late, but I want to say that if I were in the ‘news creation’ business, (like AP) I would find someone who exists, and misspell their name, and make up quotes for the misspelled name ON PURPOSE, thus giving me plausable deniability if my source was questioned (No one could find him).

Then I can always add the missing letter and say (innocently) “what about this guy here?” and make the sceptics want to drop the issue. Why can’t they be doing this?

And as always, just because they might have a real person to point to after all, it doesn’t excuse them for LYING! So what if they end up having the testimony of a LIAR!? It won’t do any good for the real problem with AP, which is that they are FRAUDS! We only question the existence of this possible police officer because we already know that AP has LIED BEFORE!!! If anyone should be “eating crow” this year is should be the MSM, as represented by the AP.

Put differently JUST BECAUSE A THEIF HAS AN ALIBI ONCE IT DOESN’T MAKE HIM NOT A THEIF!!!

Allah should get those crow recipes, not for himself, but to fix meals for the SMUG ASSHOLES AT AP WHO CAN’T DO THEIR DAMN JOBS!!! Or worse, their job really is to lie to us!

Either way, ‘death to AP’! and,