Carter: Dershowitz is too ignorant for me to debate

posted at 4:26 pm on December 15, 2006 by Allahpundit

Cut and run:

Carter, author of a new book advocating “peace not apartheid” in the region, said he will not visit Brandeis University to discuss the book because the university requested he debate Dershowitz.

“I don’t want to have a conversation even indirectly with Dershowitz,” Carter said in Friday’s Boston Globe. “There is no need … to debate somebody who, in my opinion, knows nothing about the situation in Palestine.”…

“President Carter said he wrote the book because he wanted to encourage more debate; then why won’t he debate?” said Dershowitz, a vocal First Amendment advocate who has worked for O.J. Simpson and other high-profile clients.

Dershowitz has been pounding away at him the last few weeks at HuffPo. Click over and at least read the post about the God card, which exposes the religious game Jimbo’s playing in his new book and the dark, disgusting insinuations he’s willing to make to win it.

Comments

Carter is such an intellectually dishonest man and abject ass. Dershowitz would fillet him like a fish.

ahem on December 15, 2006 at 4:31 PM

I think this proves the Big D beats the Big C by default, without even a fight.
It’s just so Carter, avoiding a fight.It’s a big part of why we are this mess today.

bbz123 on December 15, 2006 at 4:34 PM

That’s a typical excuse given by someone who knows that he can’t win.

Jimmy Carter — America’s greatest chicken.

aunursa on December 15, 2006 at 4:41 PM

Talk about projection.

JammieWearingFool on December 15, 2006 at 4:45 PM

Carter . . . a fool that behaves like his IQ is less than the sum of his digits. The man is so confused and out of touch that he doesn’t realize he is an abject loser.

rplat on December 15, 2006 at 4:47 PM

Jimmy Carter is a damn fool. Always has been. Always will be. Everything he ever did failed at best or blew up in our faces at worst. The man has the most gall I’ve ever seen, seeing as how the Middle East disaster is more his fault than any other single man. Why won’t he go the #%@*&$ away?

dostrick on December 15, 2006 at 4:49 PM

Pathetic senile old fool. Just STFU and go away.

infidel4life on December 15, 2006 at 4:53 PM

I absolutely dread when Carter kicks the bucket. There will have to be a state funeral and all the leftards in the msm will say how wonderful he is and I’ll just have to grit my teeth.

EF on December 15, 2006 at 4:54 PM

The school’s debate request, Carter said, is proof that many in the United States are unwilling to hear an alternative view on the nation’s most taboo foreign policy issue, Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territory.

I am still trying to figure out this idiotic assertion. A request for a debate is proof that noone wants to have a debate. Someone needs to up this man’s meds.

still468 on December 15, 2006 at 4:55 PM

You’ll note that the comments on Dershowitz’s post at Huffpo has been moderated from 30 comments down to 6. Must have been an outbreak of DU hatemania on the subject.

Marty on December 15, 2006 at 4:57 PM

It sure is interesting to see two high profile liberals go toe to toe. With that being said, Jimbo is truly a moron; and apparently a hypocritical coward – does he not realize how stupid he looks by stating that he hopes debates comes out of his book, but yet he won’t debate someone on the other side of his argument. Either that or he truly sees himself above everybody, and in his mind is just providing food for thought to the rest of us peasants and fools – he’s trying to enlighten us.

Rick on December 15, 2006 at 5:00 PM

Carter refers to Israel as the Holy Land. So did Cat Stevens on his charity site on the main map which is not there anymore. And guess what? The holy land existed, but not Israel.

CrimsonFisted on December 15, 2006 at 5:00 PM

Carter fears Dershowitz

Defector01 on December 15, 2006 at 5:10 PM

The only argument Dershowitz could be on the right side of is this one. Dershowitz probably campaigned for Carter, and Carter is using that to prove Dershowitz is ignorant.

I will say it again…Why would any Jew support the democratic party? Why? Why? Why? Might as well sell Iran gas chambers.

right2bright on December 15, 2006 at 5:25 PM

Heh, definitive proof that Mr. Carter is a pacifist.

Entelechy on December 15, 2006 at 5:35 PM

Carter fears Dershowitz

Defector01 on December 15, 2006 at 5:10 PM

I agree. Not debating Dershowitz may be the smartest move he has made in years.

Carter debating Dershowitz would be the equivalent of taking a knife to a gunfight.

brtex on December 15, 2006 at 5:36 PM

right2bright on December 15, 2006 at 5:25 PM

ROFL

brtex on December 15, 2006 at 5:42 PM

Carter thinks debate is something you use to catch catfish.

fogw on December 15, 2006 at 6:05 PM

I’ve spent a lot of time and painstaking effort to assemble an exhaustive compilation of all the many, many accomlishments of Carter as POTUS, and of the Carter administration. Click the link below……

( link )
yes, of course I’m kidding

Janos Hunyadi on December 15, 2006 at 6:08 PM

Last week he was complaining that he was not being invited to Jewish campuses. I guess the jihadists are not paying Jimbo to debate – not in his contract.

C’mon Jimmy – don’t be afraid to say it – speak the truth JIMBO – WE KNOW WHAT YOU REALLY MEAN – I ain’t debat’in no Harvard JEEEEWWWWWWW.

Stick to building homes for the poor Jimmy.

iam7545 on December 15, 2006 at 6:16 PM

How embarrassing.

Whether I agree with his views or not, I wouldn’t dream of denying the fact that Dershowitz has made significant scholarly contributions to the discussion on Palestine.

Carter gave us … well, what we have today. The towers falling in 2001 is only a continuation of what began under Carter in 1979. It’s rank speculation, of course … but turn back time and elect Ford in 1976, and I suspect things would be very different today. I’m not sure we’d be in Iraq, or that those towers would have fallen.

For Carter to say ANYTHING about the Middle East is just plain embarrassing. Like Bill Clinton giving a lecture on sexual harrassment. Or Dubya giving a lecture on public speaking.

Come. On.

Didn’t Tom Cruise make this identical argument about with Matt Lauer. Maybe Carter should jump on a couch and tell Dershowitz: “You don’t know Jews. I know Jews.” Or something. Sheeeee-eeesh.

Professor Blather on December 15, 2006 at 6:19 PM

Maybe Carter could do some more live random caller driven interviews

RalphyBoy on December 15, 2006 at 6:23 PM

I”LL fil in for Dershowitz just to make Jimmy Carter feel better and I’ll kick his butt!

Defector01 on December 15, 2006 at 6:38 PM

No one knows anything except Carter.

Wade on December 15, 2006 at 6:42 PM

Jimmy Carter really puts the “turd” in “basturd” (sic).

And to think, there is a submarine named after him. Maybe it could be renamed the U.S.S. Dershowitz (that would probably inspire more fear in the enemy.)

Coyote D. on December 15, 2006 at 6:47 PM

Carter has all the guts of a Howard Dean when it comes to debating alternative viewpoints. Which is to say, no guts at all.

ReubenJCogburn on December 15, 2006 at 6:48 PM

Let’s not forget Carter has a long standing tradition of not showing up at debates he’s sure to lose. Remember the “empty-chair debate” during the 1980 campaign. On stage was the maginificent Ronaldus Maximus Reaganus along with John Anderson and an empty chair. To whom did the chair belong? Why the honorable(excuse me whilst I gag)James peanut-farmer Carter. Carter is quickly becoming a legend in his own mind…..me? debate Dersho-who? Why he doesn’t know anything about Palestine. Where is Palestine anyway? Haven’t seen it on a map oh in I don’t know, centuries. I know Carter isn’t Jewish but this is almost like liberal blacks calling conservative blacks uncle Tom’s, and worse……

ritethinker on December 15, 2006 at 9:38 PM

I would gladly pay $$ to see this debate on PPV. Professor Dershowitz will make Carter look like the fool he is.

Mooseman on December 15, 2006 at 10:20 PM

Ronaldus Maximus Reaganus

ritethinker on December 15, 2006 at 9:38 PM

Blasphemy!!!

infidel4life on December 15, 2006 at 10:48 PM

About the only time I have EVER agreed with Prof. Dershowitz. Hell has officially frozen beyond the ninth circle!

BTW, it’s Ronaldus Magnus. And the funny thing is, he passes the ancient test for that moniker: when introduced to Pompeii Magnus, a Roman senator was heard to mutter “Great as compared to what?” With Pres. Reagan, you never even need to ask, just look at the twit who preceded him.

And to think, I actually LIKED Jimmy Carter when he was just building houses (liked, not forgave, not yet). He should have stuck to carpentry…

Militant Bibliophile on December 16, 2006 at 12:09 AM

Carter is the “C” word. Know what I’m sayin?

CanaryinaCoalMine on December 16, 2006 at 12:58 AM

To rip off a line from Ace…

Jimmy Carter won’t debate Dershowitz because he’s too busy splitting atoms…with his mind.

Sean M. on December 16, 2006 at 1:18 AM

Jimmah, Jimmah, Jimmah C, go back to Georgia and try to act gracefully.

Your presidency was awful and your retirement worse and now you won’t debate Dershowitz…

robo on December 16, 2006 at 2:07 AM

“There is no debate in America about anything that would be critical of Israel,” he said.

Well that much was true, at least Monday and Tuesday of this week. They were all out of the country… BTW anyone notice that so many dems are in the same neighborhood, on the same week. Could it be a on the sly show of approval?

Gwillie on December 16, 2006 at 2:16 AM

Jeff over at Protein Wisdom suggests flying in Netanyahu to debate Carter. You know, someone who knows something…

ahem on December 16, 2006 at 10:10 AM

Lord, why did you have to strike Reagan with Alzheimer’s and not Carter?

That is one of the questions I intend to ask the Lord when I go to heaven.

Tim Burton on December 16, 2006 at 2:39 PM

Carter seems to be reverting to a cartoon parody of a lefty. In this case, he adopts the classic lefty tactic of proclaiming that he knows more about a subject while avoiding any engagement with opposing ideas that would put that knowledge to the test. Lefty ideologues flee open debate because it would show them to be frauds. Carter showed himself to be a lefty ideologue ever since he invited Michael Moore, lefty propagandist, to sit next to him at the Democratic Convention.

Hound Carter to account for his arguments, I say. Hound him and hound him and hound him. Make an example of him.

Tantor on December 17, 2006 at 1:40 PM