Dictator exploits Democratic useful idiot for photo op

posted at 3:24 pm on December 13, 2006 by Allahpundit

He decided the president wasn’t doing enough to reach out to the enemy, so he took the initiative. At the precise moment, no less, when Lebanon is on the brink of civil war thanks to the man sitting across from him.

Disgrace.

nelson-assad1.jpg

Senator Bill Nelson, a member of the Armed Services and Foreign Relations committees, met with Assad after the State Department said that it disapproved of his trip…

Assad “clearly indicated a willingness to cooperate” in controlling its border with Iraq, Nelson told reporters in a conference call following the meeting with Assad. The U.S. says foreign fighters often enter Iraq across that boundary.

Nelson said he reported the information to embassy officials and will brief his congressional committees on the trip. He said he expects Senators John Kerry, Christopher Dodd and Arlen Specter to also visit Syria.

The White House said it does not encourage members of Congress to travel to Syria.

“We don’t think that members of Congress ought to be going there,” White House press secretary Tony Snow said, adding that the United States continues to denounce Syria’s meddling in Lebanon and its ties to terrorist groups.

Same guy, 2004:

nelson1.JPG

We can’t retaliate when they’re back in the White House, either. Not only would it hurt America, but it’s literally impossible — there’s no one they won’t talk to once they have the chance so there’s no way to double-cross them.

Charles makes a good point. Has the burden of proof on those Hamas allegations just shifted?

Comments

Tool.

Indeed!

Lawrence on December 13, 2006 at 3:27 PM

As a Floridian, I must say that Bill Nelson is an embarrassment.

vcferlita on December 13, 2006 at 3:29 PM

Tool?? I have another “T” word in mind – Traitor

Ann on December 13, 2006 at 3:31 PM

I kind of like this picture of Nelson myself.

Slublog on December 13, 2006 at 3:31 PM

We can always slip him Soy products, and then photograph the unavoidable activities which we now know may (or may not…thank you S.A.) follow.

StoutRepublican on December 13, 2006 at 3:32 PM

Be hilarious if his motorcade is jumped by Hamas and they Kidnap him.

Wyrd on December 13, 2006 at 3:32 PM

Does THIS qualify for Logan Act violation?!?!?! When will these people be charged?

CrimsonFisted on December 13, 2006 at 3:36 PM

He is from Florida…Florida!!!

The dude has some brass ones.

Caption: Bill Nelson friend of Israel

liberrocky on December 13, 2006 at 3:38 PM

Tool?? I have another “T” word in mind – Traitor

Ann on December 13, 2006 at 3:31 PM

My sentiments exactly.

Cary on December 13, 2006 at 3:39 PM

How can they get away with this? How can they openly demean the US government while overseas and in office…disgusting

DoctorDentons on December 13, 2006 at 3:39 PM

Yeah. What is the Logan act, a suggestion or the damn law?
Bush would have a lot fewer problems if he just enforced the bloody law!

Iblis on December 13, 2006 at 3:40 PM

Stupid idiots. I’m sure its just a matter of time before they show up in Tehran, too…and maybe Caracas, and Havana, and Pyongyang, and Waziristan…

CP on December 13, 2006 at 3:47 PM

FLASHBACK

Senator Rockefeller – 11/14/05 Fox News Sunday:

I took a trip by myself in January of 2002 to Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Syria, and I told each of the heads of state that it was my view that George Bush had already made up his mind to go to war against Iraq.

RightWinged on December 13, 2006 at 3:48 PM

So who else has he been talking to. Iran? Remember some HIGH RANKING Democrat party people are reporte to have met in the Middle East with our enemies before the election. Is he one of them??? Hummmmmm

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on December 13, 2006 at 3:49 PM

Treason has no meaning anymore.

spmat on December 13, 2006 at 3:50 PM

The Weekly Standard has more on the Rockefeller incident I link to and quote above.

RightWinged on December 13, 2006 at 3:52 PM

The strangest part of this meeting was when he picked up Assad, flipped him upside down , and put Assad’s …. in his mouth.

cms on December 13, 2006 at 3:53 PM

Isn’t this treason? If not it should be. Pure F-ing scum!

x95b10 on December 13, 2006 at 3:56 PM

I wonder if anyone’s ever told Nelson he looks like Wink Martindale.

SisterToldjah on December 13, 2006 at 3:59 PM

I anyone does not think that one Senator or Congressman can have an big impact on US foreign policy please read -”Charlie Wilsons War.” This is the BEST book ever written on how things really happen in Washington and how complicated it really is. The well documented book credits Wilson a party animal Dem Congressman from a very small district in Texas with the fall of the Soviet Union – while risking a possible WWIII. All under the radar screen. The book should be made into a movie.

Reading about Dems meeting with Hamas, Syria or Bin Laden would not surprise me – justifies my concern with the election results. My suggestion – build a bomb shelter in your back yard and be ready!!! LOL

iam7545 on December 13, 2006 at 3:59 PM

Treason has no meaning anymore.

spmat on December 13, 2006 at 3:50 PM

Exactly. Because these ‘global citizen’ fools don’t believe in our national interests anymore. We’re all just supposed to be one big happy Kumbaya planet. Can’t we all just get along?

infidel4life on December 13, 2006 at 4:03 PM

Thanks Slublog…That oompa loompa pic always makes me laugh.

tickleddragon on December 13, 2006 at 4:04 PM

Sucking up to the chinless opthamologist may score him points with the nutroots gang, but if he think Assad looks at him as anything more than a useful idiot, he’s seriously deluded.

The Democrats have done more than enough since election day to warrant a permanent recall.

Speaking of which, where has Charlie Rangel been the past couple weeks? Is he at the private ceremonies for his boy Castro? Surely, his buddies will let him view his boss Fidel before all hell breaks loose with the official announcement.

JammieWearingFool on December 13, 2006 at 4:14 PM

Yep, that’s my Senator.

Until we define traitorism and start prosecuting, this isn’t going to stop. Of course, we don’t care about the immigration laws that are in effect, so why so much fuss over traitorism.

Rush is right… it’s going to take more 9/11′s before the Americans’ eyes are open.

stenwin77 on December 13, 2006 at 4:15 PM

As an aside, doesn’t Nelson sound like Forrest Gump when he talks?

stenwin77 on December 13, 2006 at 4:16 PM

Be hilarious if his motorcade is jumped by Hamas and they Kidnap him.

Wyrd on December 13, 2006 at 3:32 PM

You mean Hezbollah. Hamas is Palestinian. Hezbollah is a tool of Syria and Iran.

(I guess we’re back to the “Do you kow the difference between Suni and Shia?”)

CyberCipher on December 13, 2006 at 4:25 PM

I am surprised that Jim McDermott wasn’t with him.

Mallard T. Drake on December 13, 2006 at 4:27 PM

The following is the content of a recently sent Email to my (shudder) state senator.

The best thing I can say about your recent visit to the terrorist in charge in Syria is that it promotes you to the level of usefull idiot. If you bother to understand the term dhimmi, than you would know that you cannot trust a thing that this man says and that it is useless to negotiate with him. He is a muderer and a dictactor and, in my humble opinion, your actions are in violation of the Logan act.

conservativecaveman on December 13, 2006 at 4:32 PM

If you and your party continue this course of appeasement it will be the destruction of our way of life.
Please study history and learn more about this “peaceful religion” of Islam and get a clue as to what you are doing.

conservativecaveman on December 13, 2006 at 4:35 PM

CyberCipher,

One of the leaders of Hamas, Khaled Mashaal, whom Israel has marked for death, lives in Damascus.

CP on December 13, 2006 at 4:37 PM

In that photo Assad is showing Nelson the proper way to hold the KY Jelly during his exit interview.

fogw on December 13, 2006 at 4:37 PM

As citizens of the state that he represents can we demand an investigation and prosecution on the grounds that this is a violation of the Logan Act?

conservativecaveman on December 13, 2006 at 4:38 PM

As a Floridian myself, I expect him to be investigated and prosecuted.

amerpundit on December 13, 2006 at 4:40 PM

Florida…need more be said?

Wade on December 13, 2006 at 4:57 PM

And they wonder why we call ‘em the Dhimmicrats. Did he bring a white flag with him?

Tony737 on December 13, 2006 at 4:58 PM

but we all know astronauts wouldn’t do anything to hurt America, so he’s standing up for the US by meeting with Assad.

Geez, hasn’t the media told you this enough times?

benrand on December 13, 2006 at 5:02 PM

cms on December 13, 2006 at 3:53 PM

Heh.

That’s hilarious, and the pictures of Nelson with his goofy, stupid grin are hilarious. What a tool.

Jaibones on December 13, 2006 at 5:15 PM

I keep asking, why would any Jew vote democrat? They are talking to people, working with people, respecting people, who want to destroy you? Why? Why? Why???

right2bright on December 13, 2006 at 5:20 PM

these ‘global citizen’ fools don’t believe in our national interests anymore.

Hear, hear. It’s only wrong when America is looking out for our national interests. (No say shit when China or Russia does it.

x95b10 on December 13, 2006 at 5:30 PM

Tool

In this instant, it does not refer to the better part of a man.

pocomoco on December 13, 2006 at 5:36 PM

right2bright
That’s my question? UN FREAKIN REAL!

iam7545 on December 13, 2006 at 5:38 PM

Senator Bill ‘LOGAN’ Nelson is a FOOL and a TOOL.

from the Logan Act:

“Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence…..”

And he f*$ked US ALL, not just himself. How much damage has he done? It could take years to know, if ever.
and logan-nelson says;
Assad “clearly indicated a willingness to cooperate” in controlling” and logan-nelson BELIEVES HIM???

He should be thrown out of office!

shooter on December 13, 2006 at 5:55 PM

Feh. I didn’t expect this of him. He cultivates a moderate image around the state — for example, he voted in favor of the bankrupcy reform bill, which went against the preferences of his Democratic colleagues.

There goes the “moderate” image.

I am usually against political bumper stickers, but now I am seriously thinking of printing up a bunch that say, “Don’t blame me, I campaigned / voted for Katherine Harris.”

Anton on December 13, 2006 at 6:23 PM

I am surprised that Jim McDermott wasn’t with him.

I wouldn’t be suprised if Baghdad Jim wasn’t busy at Imadinnerjacket’s holocaust celebration.

Too bad Bush doesn’t have any ‘balls’ or he would have him arrested upon entry into the United States for treason.

CrazyFool on December 13, 2006 at 6:32 PM

He’s no Democrat. Dhimmicrat best descibes Sen. Nelson (D-FL).

Yakko77 on December 13, 2006 at 6:53 PM

Tool. Member. Phalic symbol. Democrat. One and the same.

roninacreage on December 13, 2006 at 7:29 PM

I think someone needs to check his freezer for bags of cash.

reaganaut on December 13, 2006 at 7:36 PM

Did he give himself a new title since the election? Ambassador Half-Wit? Balls. (Tiny ones, no doubt).

Zorro on December 13, 2006 at 7:58 PM

If I have to choose between Hamas and the democrats on who is more truthful, I’m sorry but Hamas is the winner. Other than blaming Israel for their problems…..oh wait, that’s the dem position also. And claiming Israel kills and tortures Arabs…..wait a minute, the dems also hold that position and also believe their own country engages in this as well. Now that I’ve thought about it, hell, it’s a blow-out, Hamas wins going away. Hamas at least is out in the open about their wish to destroy Israel and commit terrorism. If they threaten they usually follow up on that. We can’t say that about dems, they’ll say anything for political expediency.

As for Nelson, he is just keeping up the tradition of dems talking to our enemies during a time of war. Kerry talking to the VC, Kennedy talking to the Rooskies, Miller talking to Ortega, Mcdermott talking to Saddam, and now the dems talking to Hamas. Nothing shocking here. It would only be shocking if the dems were on the side of their own country..

ritethinker on December 13, 2006 at 9:15 PM

ritethinker on December 13, 2006 at 9:15 PM

I agree. At least Hamas comes out and say they want to destroy Israel. The dems court the Jews for votes, then side with the groups that want to destroy them (Jews). I just don’t get it. Will some rabbi come forward and explain this relationship? Why do the Jews support an organization that is in turn supporting groups that would create another holocaust in a moment.

right2bright on December 13, 2006 at 11:38 PM

Yeah. What is the Logan act, a suggestion or the damn law?
Bush would have a lot fewer problems if he just enforced the bloody law!

This, I’m afraid, is a more significant truth than most people realize. The laws our President has at his disposal to enforce would go a very long way to correcting much that is currently damaging this nation.

Laws which MEAN THINGS OF VALUE to this country’s continued prosperity are not only unenforced, but actively ignored, treated as if they cannot be considered. That in itself, at some point, should constitute a crime against the integrity of the nation.

To whomever said only Hezbollah was tied to Syria, check again. Hamas is the political arm in Palestine, true, but its roots are in Damascus. Since Palestine has only very recently been recognized as a sovereign state, the PLO and its minions had to get support from somewhere, and you know it wasn’t Egypt. Riyadh and Damascus both have strong ties to Hamas.

Freelancer on December 14, 2006 at 2:39 AM

It sure didn’t take long for them to show us what they really are.

I voted for K. Harris though it hurt(screeching owl).

b. nelson is a horse’s @ss and an embar@ssment to all floridians. He sold the voters on a pig in a poke.

tormod on December 14, 2006 at 10:40 AM

Proud graduate of the Neville Chamberlain School of Diplomcay.

irishsquid on December 14, 2006 at 11:24 AM

I cannot say enough how much of an embarrassment Senator “Howdy Doody” is to those of us living here in Florida. Also an embarrassment are the complete morons who voted for this fool.

lynnv on December 14, 2006 at 4:05 PM

I voted for Harris too, and yes Tormod, it was painful.
Isn’t it just plain damn illegal to knowingly have contact with a terrorist group for any reason? Even above and beyond the Logan Act implications?
Lets see what would happen if -I- did this.

Hello Hamas, how’s it hanging?
1:Knowingly associating myself with a terrorist organization = free trip to Gitmo
Lets talk about your government a bit, I think I can help you folks out.
2:Logan Act. I don’t know the punishment for that one, but it can’t be fun. So lets just go with something mild. Like having my citizenship revoked. Continued imprisonment is implied.

And I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Billy here, but what about that Dem that went to Iraq?
Gee Saddam, Pres Bush is on his way to bomb the hell out of you.
3:TREASON! I believe we still hang people for that, don’t we? Marines are industrious folk, I’m sure they could rig up some gallows in Gitmo in no time.

So me, Joe Citizen is currently not having a very good day, understandably because I did some very foolish things.
Ohh wait, elected officials arn’t royalty, they’re just citizens too.
I mean really, does Law Enforcement need the President’s specific permission to arrest people for these kind of crimes?
This isn’t even your regular vanilla Treason, this is Treason in a Time Of War!

KeaponLaffin on December 20, 2006 at 10:19 AM