Video: Matthews asks Edwards if his wife “bites [his] balls”

posted at 7:04 pm on December 12, 2006 by Ian

Metaphorically speaking, of course.

The clip picks up with Matthews asking John Edwards about Kerry’s “botched joke,” leading Elizabeth Edwards to interject that many politicians aren’t funny, including her husband. Chris gave the “hush woman” reaction, questioning Edwards, “Does she bite your balls like this when you go home?”

But his risqué remarks didn’t stop there. Matthews pondered, “What is this with the equal marriages? Why do people marry their equals? It used to be different. What happened to the Stepford wives? The good old days?” The audience, made up of mostly college students, gave him the “fricking hiss” after his sexist comment.

The only thing more ugly than Matthews’s sexism is his laugh, which you’ll hear around the 40 second mark.

Comments

Bust, not bite, Ian. He said Bust.

The only intelligence demonstrated on the whole episode was Mrs. Edwards. First, for stopping her husband from trying to explain Kerry, second for saying “My children are watching this” in response to that churl, Matthews.

Freelancer on December 12, 2006 at 7:11 PM

That’s not what I hear. He’s using a figure of speech either way, though.

Allahpundit on December 12, 2006 at 7:12 PM

Bite or Bust, he’s trying to capitalize on MM’s mention of “balls” on The Factor. He failed miserably and sounded very creepy. If anyone’s mouth was close to John Edwards’ balls in this clip, it wasn’t the Mrs., it was Chris Matthews. What a grinning psycho. He just couldn’t get him enough department store mannequin. The weird honking sounding laughter, all of it, just really strange.

RightWinged on December 12, 2006 at 7:18 PM

I think Freelancer is correct. He said “bust”. A little less risqué. And Elizabeth Edwards is a smart, principled woman. It took her chastizing to halt come commenters on a Dem blog from wishing for Laura Ingraham’s death from breast cancer.

mikeyboss on December 12, 2006 at 7:20 PM

Um…I am a woman and that is what I hear, coming from an hysterical man who thinks black republican men have to make cute ad commercials so as not to be scary and just generally frets and lectures about stupid perceived BS ad nauseum :-’

Topsecretk9 on December 12, 2006 at 7:21 PM

s/b “some” commenters

mikeyboss on December 12, 2006 at 7:21 PM

What a freaking moron. Matthews is such a creep … and yeah, what the crap is the deal with that honk laugh? Still shaking my head ….

wytammic on December 12, 2006 at 7:36 PM

It’s bite. Normally the word bust would fit the phrase.

Ian on December 12, 2006 at 7:45 PM

I’m not sure how anyone can hear “bust” from that. It wasn’t even remotely questionable.

He said “bite.”

Gregor on December 12, 2006 at 7:46 PM

Normally the word bust would fit the phrase.

Right. More reason to think that’s what he said.

mikeyboss on December 12, 2006 at 7:48 PM

So many nonentities, so little time.

JammieWearingFool on December 12, 2006 at 7:48 PM

Dumb question — I can’t watch the video because my keepers think it’s “theft of bandwidth” — what is the “fricking hiss”? Is that like a regular hiss?

Bad Penny on December 12, 2006 at 7:49 PM

Whatever, I heard ‘bite’. I trust Allah’s decision, as he is dead on with most unintelligible talk on television.

Ian on December 12, 2006 at 7:50 PM

It’s bite. Normally the word bust would fit the phrase.

Ian on December 12, 2006 at 7:45 PM

Are we about to enter in to the arena of “MOOPS!” “MOORS!” “MOOPS!” “MOORS!” “MOOPS!” “MOORS!”

RightWinged on December 12, 2006 at 7:52 PM

He said bite. I wonder if it will get replayed endlessly until his career is ruined.

JackStraw on December 12, 2006 at 7:54 PM

Those San Francisco values are really creeping into every facet of this “new direction for America,” aren’t they?

NTWR on December 12, 2006 at 8:02 PM

For what it’s worth, I’m hearing “bite,” not “bust.”

Bryan on December 12, 2006 at 8:09 PM

I don’t think it makes me a lick of difference. He meant it figuratively, not literally.

Allahpundit on December 12, 2006 at 8:11 PM

I am more interested in knowing if she bites his balls.

MayBee on December 12, 2006 at 8:12 PM

Matthews is just another former congressional aid; a Washington insider with no sense at all. I would bet he couldn’t find his arse with both hands. (And he probably drinks too much soy milk and eats tofu as a snack).

And yes, it is “bite”. No question.

Zorro on December 12, 2006 at 8:13 PM

Exactly.

Bryan on December 12, 2006 at 8:13 PM

I don’t think it makes me a lick of difference

ha!

MayBee on December 12, 2006 at 8:18 PM

He said bite. He’s a frickin joke of a human either way, total waste of oxygen. The schmuck is full of himself and full of hate…kinda the same thing really.

How on earth could he stay employed?

Maybe he could run off with rosie. It would save at least two other people, if not all of us.

shooter on December 12, 2006 at 8:30 PM

Why do I keep reading it as “licks his balls” ?

lorien1973 on December 12, 2006 at 8:48 PM

Bite. Bust. Literal. Figurative. Whatever. This much is unequivocal: Chris Matthews is a pig.

The clip is worth it for the pricless shot of Edwards’ prissy face as Elizabeth talks about him not being able to carry off a joke. Watch it again. Classic. He looks like he just swallowed a tablespoon of wasabi.

I have a soft spot for Mrs. Edwards after she took on the twisted moonbats over their ugly Laura Ingraham-bashing.

Balls.

Michelle on December 12, 2006 at 8:53 PM

I don’t either, but Matthew’s spits and handwrings constantly over the perceived meaning of the nonsensical constantly, so it’s delightful to tug his nuts about it, given the chance.

Topsecretk9 on December 12, 2006 at 8:54 PM

I heard “bite,” although I’m sure he meant “bust.”

I wonder if Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, or Bill O’Reilly had made a similar “Stepford Wife” comment like Matthews just did if the MSM reaction would be as mute.

I think we all know the answer to that one.

Maybe Rosie would have commented on that on “The View”!

asc85 on December 12, 2006 at 9:03 PM

Another great post Ian!

Keep it up!

angryamerican on December 12, 2006 at 9:13 PM

I heard bite too. I remember that interview Michelle did with Matthews. I also remember a panel show during the 2004 Republican convention where David Gergen was saying Republicans were racist because Zell Miller was a speaker and everytime Laura Ingraham tried to say something about it Matthews would tell her to hush.

Scot on December 12, 2006 at 9:27 PM

And you think Allen meant to use a racial slur at a member of the oppositions team who was pointing a camera at him? In what parallel universe does literal versus figurative make a difference in politics?

This is Hardball, baby.

JackStraw on December 12, 2006 at 9:30 PM

I heard “bite.” And the only person I came away liking from this vid was Mrs. Edwards.

baldilocks on December 12, 2006 at 9:37 PM

Allahpundit on December 12, 2006 at 8:11 PM

I’m with AP, and again, I’m more disturbed at his creepy giddyness over Edwards.

RightWinged on December 12, 2006 at 9:41 PM

Agreed — that was hilarious. I think Matthews was trying to put Edwards’ woman in her place. I don’t think the Mrs. was impressed either.

wytammic on December 12, 2006 at 9:47 PM

Oh man…. Edwards looks like he was plotting his wife’s death during that. Ha.

Matthews is an idiot, but actually that was pretty funny with the “bite your balls” thing. He crossed over with the stepford wives bit though, leave that to the late night comics jackass.

Dash on December 12, 2006 at 9:49 PM

Oy, of course he meant it figuratively. Unless you think he was asking John Edwards if when he went home his wife was going to literally yank his pants off and bite his what Michelle got bleeped on Fox for saying. Who cares?

We are talking about Chris Macaca Matthews. Republicans are getting far too good at tsk tsking two days after the election is over instead of understanding how politics is played.

JackStraw on December 12, 2006 at 9:54 PM

Mr. Edwards’ dismay, yes, was priceless! He had that look “woman, I should have left you at home, or we’ll talk when we get there”.

C. Matthews expressed his personal frustration with his wife. These blurts don’t happen in a vacuum.

Best part was “Oh, how PC! Finally the frickin hiss”. The Left won’t like him for mocking PC.

Entelechy on December 12, 2006 at 11:16 PM

It’s “bust”. I listened to that section several times in a row to be sure. Let’s stay on the Stepford thing, which would cause anyone right of center to catch holy hell, but again a lib gets a pass.

The Monster on December 12, 2006 at 11:22 PM

“the Stepford thing” was Freudian. Oy, what Kathleen will do with his balls tonight! Bust or bite will both be mild!

Entelechy on December 12, 2006 at 11:59 PM

Wait… John Edwards HAS balls? Are YOU SURE?

CyberCipher on December 13, 2006 at 12:12 AM

It’s bite.

Ian on December 13, 2006 at 12:49 AM

It’s BITE.

Some of you need to go get a hearing test.

angryamerican on December 13, 2006 at 12:59 AM

He said Bite, even if the nitwit meant Bust. He is weird, and kind of stupid. Lefty college kids like him; further evidence that the smart kids are all on the right.

Jaibones on December 13, 2006 at 1:22 AM

Wait… John Edwards HAS balls? Are YOU SURE?

Not sure about balls…but he sure likes HAIRSPRAY!!!

Topsecretk9 on December 13, 2006 at 1:29 AM

Well, I kind of have a soft spot for Mrs. Edwards because when he was out running for VP they stopped at Wendy’s as they did after their wedding because they didn’t have big bucks then. They said they go to Wendys every annivesary. I am a romantic person myself, even though I didn’t think her husband was so great I thought it was kind of romantic.

Catie96706 on December 13, 2006 at 1:36 AM

Catie96706 on December 13, 2006 at 1:36 AM

Catie,

Your husband is a lucky guy. God bless you, lady.

Subsunk

Subsunk on December 13, 2006 at 8:21 AM

has matthews lost his mind? wtf?

paranoid on December 13, 2006 at 9:25 AM

Catie96706 on December 13, 2006 at 1:36 AM

You believe that crap they put out while they are running for office?
No wonder democrats win elections.

right2bright on December 13, 2006 at 9:25 AM

In Brooklyn it’s “break” your balls…but of course Chris wouldn’t know anything about balls…he doesn’t have any.

DoctorDentons on December 13, 2006 at 9:33 AM

I have to agree with right2bright. You think the Wendy’s stop wasn’t calculated to get that exact reaction from people like Catie? All politicians do it, right or left. It’s all for show. Come on.

How can you people watch Matthews? Ugh.

Rightwingsparkle on December 13, 2006 at 9:41 AM

Poor Kathleen Matthews!

IntheNet on December 13, 2006 at 9:47 AM

Think Mrs Edward’s is far and away Mr Edward’s best asset.

honora on December 13, 2006 at 10:13 AM

Not sure about balls…but he sure likes HAIRSPRAY!!!

Topsecretk9 on December 13, 2006 at 1:29 AM

Great clip! The narcissism is off-the-charts. Now that I know just how much hairspray the guy is using, I’ll have to watch his interviews more closely. The hot, bright studio lights coupled with the massive amount of hairspray is apt to make his head spontaneously combust. Oh, the horror!

CyberCipher on December 13, 2006 at 10:21 AM

DoctorDentons on December 13, 2006 at 9:33 AM

Uhhh… I guess some one bit his balls… wait for it… wait… … Off. (ba-dump).

Did I botch that?

RalphyBoy on December 13, 2006 at 10:48 AM

Was Matthews voted “Most Likely to Suck-up” in his high school yearbook?

Any classmates out there in the blogosphere?

fogw on December 13, 2006 at 10:56 AM

He was a VP candidate and Matthews spoke about his wife that way? Oh man, the look on Edwards face was great, he was not pleased with that comment. He was biting his tongue on that one, luckily the Mrs saved the day with laughter. I am glad Matthews was hissed on his Stepford wife crack. I am no fan of the Edwards’ but that was so disrespectful, not funny at all.

CrimsonFisted on December 13, 2006 at 10:57 AM

You know, which word Matthews said isn’t important compared to his blatant idiocy, and I wasn’t intending to hijack the thread by saying I heard it different than AP.

Mrs. Edwards makes a comment that, from a political perspective, is valuable. She is showing her husband to be human by saying he isn’t particularly funny, that she would fear the results if he tried in an official event to raise laughter.

And Matthews’ poorly hidden prejudice comes roaring out with “Does she b— your (malkins) like that at home?” The next comment by Matthews, semi-lost in the laughter, is “When you give her space does she do that?” A true trifecta of insensitive, sexist, and filthy, from the same man who had the nerve to ask a sitting senator if he really believed John Kerry as president would send troops to war with spitballs.

Then to ice that cake of lunacy, the Stepford wives comment. Matthews is such a chauvanist that he believes men have traditionally married their lessors. How else can one analyze the phrase “What is this with equal marriages, why do people marry their equals? It used to be different. What happened to the Stepford wives, the good old days?” Let a conservative have said anything to stupid and watch the feeding frenzy.

But for what it’s worth, I need no hearing test, and I can’t hear the word as bite even when I try. Listen to it once assuming that what you’re going to hear is BUST.

Freelancer on December 13, 2006 at 12:02 PM

Wow – could you imagine the media FIRESTORM that would have broken out if a fox reporter asked that same question to John and Karen Edwards, or heaven forbid, Bill and Hillary Clinton? But then fox has class, would never happen.

JustTruth101 on December 13, 2006 at 1:35 PM

All I know is… I got a lot of balls

Opinionnation on December 13, 2006 at 1:47 PM

I sure heard “bite” but the transcript says

MATTHEWS: What is it? Does she do this? Does she bust your balls like this when you come home?

Transcript is at
Matthews is a total putz but you have to give him credit for not censoring his own idiocy.

Yojimbo on December 13, 2006 at 2:22 PM

Fergot to close the freaking hyperlink. Transcript is at here

Yojimbo on December 13, 2006 at 2:23 PM

As to that whole Wendy’s story… That is more than likely Barbra Streisand (BS), since this uppity clown wouldn’t be caught dead in a dive like that…it’s below him.

I’m FROM NC and wouldn’t believe anything this “man” said if (to quote Marilyn Millian from People’s Court)”his tongue came notorized.”

tickleddragon on December 13, 2006 at 2:44 PM

The truth about the “good old days” is in the story of creation found in Genesis. Although I may not exactly be able to prove it, I harbor strong suspicions that Woman is God’s highest earthly creation (and superior to Man, at least in some ways). After all, she is a “later model” than Man. If I’m right, then men have ALWAYS married their superiors (we’re talking heteros here — exclusively). Besides, haven’t any of you guys heard your wife tell you that “First God made man…then she corrected her mistake.” Oh, that’s right, I forgot that we never hear anything that they say.

CyberCipher on December 13, 2006 at 2:59 PM

I heard him say Bite and balls.

Did you also hear the cross talk between the Edwards?

Mr Edwards said “Did you notice how quickly he got away from this?”

Mrs. Edwards “Yes, I know.”

mattma on December 13, 2006 at 3:19 PM

If Edwards was a real man he would have taken Mattews down (verbally) for that crude remark, instead his wife stepped in and mentioned the children. Edwards was afraid to alienate Matthews, what a wimp.

right2bright on December 13, 2006 at 3:27 PM

sorry, I didn’t hear an “S” between the “B” and the “T”; I say “Bite”

urbancenturion on December 13, 2006 at 4:05 PM

I also think it’s worth remembering that the Edwardses lost a child a while back. It makes me recall this bit of wisdom:

“If we could read the secret history of our enemies we should find in each man’s life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.” -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

This is why I hope we can disagree with each other’s arguments and policies without personal insults.

mikeyboss on December 13, 2006 at 6:43 PM