Trey Parker and Matt Stone on the Mohammed cartoon

posted at 1:57 pm on December 12, 2006 by Allahpundit

Not the Danish ones; the one they tried to run on South Park. Reason magazine interviewed them about it this summer.

So the first question is, what’s more terrifying, crossing Islam or crossing Scientology?

Trey Parker: They’re really the same people.

This is what happened. I was on my honeymoon in Disney World. I turned on the television, and there were thousands of rioting Muslims, and the caption said, “Muslims enraged over cartoon.” And I said, “Oh, shit. What did we do?”…

Reason: Are you secretly hoping that radical Islamists, who are not always the closest readers of texts, will actually think Family Guy ran an episode showing Muhammad?

Stone: Well, that’s the other big joke. We really weren’t that brave. If it did make it over to some obscure part of Pakistan, they’d be like, “Hey, we ought to kill the guys who did Family Guy.”…

Stone: At some point I think we knew we were going to lose. We weren’t going to get Muhammad on, so we were just going to make them feel really bad about it. I mean, we’ve been at an ACLU meeting where we gave Doug [Herzog, the president of Comedy Central,] an award for freedom of speech, and once you get an award for freedom of speech, you’ve got to step up to the plate.

He didn’t, though. Here’s how the episode turned out when it aired in March of this year.

Comments

If more “avant guarde artists” were like Stone & Parker and go after modern “sacred cows” we might be better off.

Iblis on December 12, 2006 at 2:01 PM

All talk…Wimps.

right2bright on December 12, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Anyone who doesnt recognize South Park as the one true cartoon will burn in hellfire for eternity.

Dash on December 12, 2006 at 2:06 PM

They reaired that one recently, and I still can’t believe it. How in the world could they not show it?

Plus, haven’t they already shown him in the one episode that was Jesus and the Super Friends of something like that?

Esthier on December 12, 2006 at 2:09 PM

Just for kicks: the press release announcing Herzog’s Torch of Liberty award.

n an era when many in the media and entertainment industries are limited in their thinking by advertising dollars and the heavy hand of the FCC, Doug Herzog’s commitment to the First Amendment is truly admirable.

Heh.

Slublog on December 12, 2006 at 2:12 PM

I read that interview a while ago. I like where they said we making it and if you don’t air it that’s still one of the episodes you paid for. They may have been referring to a Scientology eppi.

Rich on December 12, 2006 at 2:14 PM

All talk…Wimps.

Comedy Central…liberal hypocrisy…bygones.

natesnake on December 12, 2006 at 2:18 PM

Yeah Mohammad was in the Super Best Friends episode (my all time favorite… Jesus uses his super carpentry skills to build a mold to construct a giant John Wilkes Booth to fight the Lincoln Memorial come to life)

Mohammad was also in the intro to every South Park for a long long time. Nobody said a word.

Dash on December 12, 2006 at 2:19 PM

All talk…Wimps.

right2bright on December 12, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Do you mean Parker and Stone are wimps? But they tried to show Mohammed; it was the network who nixed the showing.

dalewalt on December 12, 2006 at 2:21 PM

Esthier, yup he was on the Superfriends episode.

Just show us the freakin’ cartoon. They already hate us, what difference will it make? Oooh, NOW they’re *reeeeeally* gonna hate us! They hate us enough to kill THEMSELVES to kill us. Ya can’t hate anymore than that.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I hafta go take a Muhammed. A Mr. Hankey Muhammed.

Tony737 on December 12, 2006 at 2:22 PM

Science H. Logic!

BirdEye on December 12, 2006 at 2:40 PM

The true test of Parker and Stone’s uhh,stones,will be when they come out with the whole season on DVD.Will they have that episode w/o the black screen?

bbz123 on December 12, 2006 at 2:46 PM

Now if you’ll excuse me, I hafta go take a Muhammed. A Mr. Hankey Muhammed.

In my house we say “I gotta go issue a fatwa.”

Bad Penny on December 12, 2006 at 2:57 PM

It probably won’t be up to them. They just get paid to make the cartoons, they don’t own them after that, if I understand the arrangement correctly.

Bad Penny on December 12, 2006 at 2:58 PM

Remember how the episode ended? With Americans and Jesus all pooping on eachother? Remember how Christians rioted in the streets, killed Muslims, torched KFCs, burned Bush effigies? What do you mean that didn’t happen? That’s how peaceful religions react to cartoons.

RightWinged on December 12, 2006 at 3:23 PM

I’ve often wondered what would happen if everyone went out and made one inflamatory statement about Muhammed or Islam and drew one cartoon of Muhammed (whether politically biting or just stick figures on a swingset). What would happen then? At that point, would the haters and the rioters have to reset to just hating us all equally? I’d hate to think that a Danish dairy is losing money because I didn’t do my part to be offensive.

JadeNYU on December 12, 2006 at 3:31 PM

I think you may be right, Bad Penny, they probably don’t have alot of say in the marketing of the product once it leaves their hands.

bbz123 on December 12, 2006 at 3:35 PM

Trey and Matt chickened out just like every single MSM Dhimmitude news source in American. Quite frankly I’m ashamed. Did their network have the final say? If so where was Parker’s and Stoneless’s public protests?

Christian and Jew bashing, flag burning is happy PC in America and heaven help you if you are a white male. But if you cross the fly Imams for CAIR and the religion of perpetual outrage look out, you’re a racist. Screw em.

That being said what South Park did at the end of their show with Christ and the American flag was shameful. Now I couldn’t give a schit what these two dirtballs cowards have to say or produce.

They are a non-factor lacking in balls and ethics.

Timber Wolf on December 12, 2006 at 3:52 PM

Oh My Science!

Good Lt on December 12, 2006 at 3:58 PM

They did the thing about crapping on the American Flag and Christ to show that these institutions (America and Christianity) can handle amazing amounts of offense without truning into irrational idiots and burning cities to the ground. This is in comparison to muslims who….

JayHaw Phrenzie on December 12, 2006 at 4:31 PM

I don’t like seeing horses on tv. Maybe I should threaten violence whenever a horse is depicted. Same goes for clouds! And anything with an electron in it!

I’VE DISCOVERED THE FORMULA FOR ABSOLUTE POWER!

MUWAHAHAHA!

stonemeister on December 12, 2006 at 4:34 PM

Madonna climbs on a crucifex on stage and certain people call her brave for risking the ire of rightwing christian fundamentalists. I’d love to see how brave she is by doing a dance on stage with a guy dressed like Muhammed or making our with the guy dressed like Muhammed.

Mig on December 12, 2006 at 4:51 PM

They are a non-factor lacking in balls and ethics.

Timber Wolf on December 12, 2006 at 3:52 PM

Did you read the interview? Obviously not with a comment that ignorant. And as JayHaw said, the part at the end was not an attack on Christians or America, it was an attack on the hypocrisy of Comedy Central and the intolerance of the Muslim world. Parker and Stone are basically making the same point with their show that you made in your comment. Are you dense to understand it?

JaHerer22 on December 12, 2006 at 5:10 PM

Behead those who insult South Park.

NTWR on December 12, 2006 at 5:22 PM

You know in the big scheme of things…what these two guys do or don’t do on television means exactly squat. Oh, and for the record, Folks, these two – to my recollection – are Libertarians, not liberals.

There’s a link somewhere on boortz.com to a Libertarian website which lists a bunch of famous folks who call themselves libertarian. Examples: Clint Eastwood, Penn Jillette, etc.

tickleddragon on December 12, 2006 at 5:29 PM

Lucky for us we have a Muslim-Friendly TV Line-up and Permissible Music to follow.

Read up and prepare.

NTWR on December 12, 2006 at 5:44 PM

You’re going to be really busy if you feel compelled to reply to posts like that, Jaherer ;p

Reaps on December 12, 2006 at 6:05 PM

Trey Parker: They’re really the same people.

Right… And the massive scientologist street demonstrations calling for the beheadings of it’s critics happened, umm… exactly where?

This was Parker’s backhanded slap at anyone who has a religion they feel passionate about. He just puts everyone with any religious commitment on the same morally relative plane with Islam. Asswipe. The only hand holding a scimitar is ISLAM.

Benthoven on December 12, 2006 at 6:16 PM

Mig on December 12, 2006 at 4:51 PM

You REALLY don’t like Madonna very much, do you?

CyberCipher on December 12, 2006 at 7:53 PM

Why didn’t they just say it was “The Prophet-Formerly-Known-as-Mohammad“?

Now going under the nom de cartoon Pedro Phile.

Camel hobbler extraordinaire and desert widow’s Boy Toy.

The tales in the Hadiths would make the funniest cartoon series in history. Stoned Satans, Zam-Zam water, devils peeing in your ears, ad absurdum.

They’re avoiding a comedy goldmine by their world-historical nutlessness.

profitsbeard on December 12, 2006 at 8:10 PM

“Issue a fatwa”

HA! Good one Penny.

“ALLAHU AKBAR!”

(Splash)

All done, now where’s that koran? Oh yeah, right there on the toilet paper rack where I left it. (Right next to the NY Times).

Tony737 on December 12, 2006 at 8:34 PM

I won’t use the New York Times as toilet paper. I am afraid that it might be a toxic element and require HAZMAT.

As for the Koran, well, we cannot upset those saintly, peace loving Mulsims now, can we?

“Lan astaslem.” I will not submit. I will not surrender.

William

William2006 on December 12, 2006 at 9:51 PM

That reminds me of how the Republicans always let the Democrats steal elections and don’t protest and ask for recounts. Liberals give you a nice pat on the back when you concede like that…some virtue.

The reality of it is that Muslims, Democrats and other kinds of criminals fight harder on their own behalf than Christians, Republicans and the law abiding in general fight on their own behalf.

Let’s face it, crapping on the flag and Jesus should be worth an ass kicking in any self respecting patriotic Christian nation. Not a beheading mind you, but a nice brisk ass kicking.

Perchant on December 12, 2006 at 10:24 PM

“Issue a fatwa”

HA! Good one Penny.

“ALLAHU AKBAR!”

(Splash)

Tony737 on December 12, 2006 at 8:34 PM

Ugh, laughing and puking at the same time…

urbancenturion on December 13, 2006 at 9:14 AM

Is it just me or does it strike anyone else as really ironic that the ACLU gives out awards for freedom of speech? Or is this some kind of Orwellian meaning where freedom of speech is censorship, love is hate, and war is peace?

Wolfman on December 13, 2006 at 1:33 PM

so in order for Christ not to be made fun of … all Christians have to do is start killing everyone?

wow.