Surprise: Saudi citizens sending millions to Iraqi jihadis

posted at 4:39 pm on December 7, 2006 by Allahpundit

It’s their religious duty.

Private Saudi citizens are giving millions of dollars to Sunni insurgents in
Iraq and much of the money is used to buy weapons, including shoulder fired anti-aircraft missiles, according to key Iraqi officials and others familiar with the flow of cash…

Two high-ranking Iraqi officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the issue’s sensitivity, told the AP most of the Saudi money comes from private donations, called zaqat, collected for Islamic causes and charities.

Some Saudis appear to know the money is headed to Iraq’s insurgents, but others merely give it to clerics who channel it to anti-coalition forces, the officials said.

In one recent case, an Iraqi official said $25 million in Saudi money went to a top Iraqi Sunni cleric and was used to buy weapons, including Strela, a Russian shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missile.

The Saudi government denies it. We need to be careful with the sources here, and not just because it’s the AP. Odds are the Iraqi officials are Shiites, which gives them a motive to want to point the finger at Iran’s enemy. The detail about anti-aircraft missiles is noteworthy too coming a week after an Air Force jet crashed near Baghdad. If you wanted to stir up anti-Saudi sentiment among Americans, putting the receipt for the missiles that took that plane down (if it was missiles that took it down) in their hands would do the trick.

Any corroborating evidence? Yup — although it’s of the Jamilgate variety:

Several drivers interviewed by the AP in Middle East capitals said Saudis have been using religious events, like the hajj pilgrimage to Mecca and a smaller pilgrimage, as cover for illicit money transfers. Some money, they said, is carried into Iraq on buses with returning pilgrims.

“They sent boxes full of dollars and asked me to deliver them to certain addresses in Iraq,” said one driver, who gave his name only as Hussein, out of fear of reprisal. “I know it is being sent to the resistance, and if I don’t take it with me, they will kill me.”

The Baker report claims money’s coming in from the Kingdom, too. They fund nearly every other Islamic terrorist outfit in the world; they’re not going to miss a fight as big as Iraq.

And once we pull out, they’re coming in — a fact which Baker and company surely realize. And yet they still recommend substantial withdrawal.

The Saudis fired the guy who spilled the beans about that last week, by the way. I guess they wanted it to be a surprise.

Comments

Gotta love our wonderful Saudi allies.

Dave R. on December 7, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Oh, the Saudis are okay.

I looked into their eyes and saw their souls.

We’re cool.

Slublog on December 7, 2006 at 4:48 PM

Not one word of this suprises me one bit. Why would they sit on their big, fat bankrolls when there is land to conquer (buy?) As for the Flaker Report having to know this or anything else, I submit that their very report demonstrates just how little they know. What an ungodly waste of time that group was.

NEMETI IN SYRACUSE on December 7, 2006 at 4:52 PM

When dogs bite men, it does make the news if it’s a pit bull. It’s part of the anti-pit bull conspiracy. I wish our dog would bite those who perpetuate it.

frankj on December 7, 2006 at 5:03 PM

Our oil money being funneled to our enemies. I haven’t seen that before.

infidel on December 7, 2006 at 5:04 PM

But… isn’t Baker’s company funded by the Saudis? Or his law firm or something?

NTWR on December 7, 2006 at 5:08 PM

Makes me wish for an earthquake to swallow the Ka’aba before X-mas.

It’s one thing to kiss a Mafia boss’ ring because he has the power to slaughter you and your family, but when you are stronger than the Don (or Saudi ‘King’) and you are still smooching his cheeks, something is violently wrong.

Who’s buying whom?

profitsbeard on December 7, 2006 at 5:16 PM

I think we should send millions to Saudi Arabia.

I don’t mean dollars, though.

thirteen28 on December 7, 2006 at 5:31 PM

What a mess. While I’m for defeating/eliminating the terrorists, perhaps Baker’s right. If we pull out they’ll be so busy trying to kill each other that they desecrate both their ranks and any credibility Islam might have left as the “religion of peace.”

Scotsman on December 7, 2006 at 5:38 PM

Proposed solution to this entire mess:
1) Gather resolve to address root problem.
2) Nuke Mecca and Medina. Make both cities uninhabitable for the next 10,000 years, thus making it impossible for Muslims to make their pilgrimage. All Muslims are then bound for hell (by their own stupid rules). End Islam.
3) Address the world via satellite link that Allah is dead. We killed him.
4) Game over. (game, set, and match, actually).

Over-the-top? Maybe. I fear that sooner or later, this approach may be the ONLY alternative that we have left.

CyberCipher on December 7, 2006 at 5:44 PM

oops

urbancenturion on December 7, 2006 at 6:13 PM

I think we should send millions to Saudi Arabia.

I don’t mean dollars, though. — thirteen28

…I was thinking along those same lines myself…ordnance….by the ton….

Great minds think alike….

Puritan1648 on December 7, 2006 at 6:13 PM

Surprise: Saudi citizens sending millions to Iraqi jihadis

Breaking News: Water is wet, and the sky is blue! Shocking details at 11.

Kid from Brooklyn on December 7, 2006 at 6:25 PM

Proposed solution to this entire mess:
1) Gather resolve to address root problem.
3) Address the world via satellite link that Allah is dead. We killed him.
4) Game over. (game, set, and match, actually).

CyberCipher on December 7, 2006 at 5:44 PM

You are doing the work for the “far left” blogs – all they need to do is cut and paste and then post to their “Why Neocons shouldn’t be in charge” area…

Shaking head sadly

Bradky on December 7, 2006 at 7:00 PM

Violence is the answer to all our problems.

JaHerer22 on December 7, 2006 at 7:41 PM

Baker’s law firm, Baker-Botts, is defending the Saudi Gov’t in a lawsuit brought by relatives of those killed in 9-11. WHY are we listening to this guy??

NTWR on December 7, 2006 at 7:59 PM

NTWR, Wow (at that link)–Note that Baker-Botts has offices in Riyahd and Dubai, among other places of influence…
if Baker isn’t a “made man” of Saudis, I don’t know who is!
While Baker works the legal/diplomatic/propaganda front of the war, the Sauds make sure the physical front in Iraq (as well as Afghanistan, I’m sure) is taken care of, too.
They’d love to be able to get into Iraq and fight those shirk, polytheist Shi’ite Iranians for real, meanwhile they’re building that fence between SA and Iraq…
But we’re not leaving Iraq anytime soon or drawing down yet!

Jen the Neocon on December 7, 2006 at 8:28 PM

Shaking head sadly

Bradky on December 7, 2006 at 7:00 PM

Okay. So I retract (and repent of my folly).
Now. So what’s YOUR brilliant idea for getting us out of this mess?

CyberCipher on December 7, 2006 at 9:11 PM

Shaking head sadly

Okay. So I retract (and repent of my folly).
Now. So what’s YOUR brilliant idea for getting us out of this mess?

Besides. Who are they (the far left blogs) going to quote? CyberCipher? That handle roughly translates as:
“internet nobody.”

CyberCipher on December 7, 2006 at 9:17 PM

I’m afraid I have to add my voice to the others saying basically… DUH! Seriously, who DIDN’T know this? The Iraqi “insurgency” is largely a creation of its neighbors who want the whole area either a)weak and destabilized or b) radicalized (leavened, of course, with the usual Ba’athist guerillas and opportunists). I think it spoke volumes that the late head of Al Qaeda in Iraq was a JORDANIAN! And we generally get along with Jordan!

As to the Saudis, these guys are burning the candle at both ends. They know that their economic success is tied to the West, so they follow the money. However, their culture is firmly Wahabbi (it DID originate there, after all) and their own people hate them for following the aforementioned path to prosperity. So they turn a blind (or not-so-blind) eye to the carryings on of the Jihadis within their own borders so long as they aren’t actively engaged against the House of Saud. But still, the fact is that if it weren’t for the money they get selling oil to the West, they’d be just as much against us as Iran. It’s like a twisted version of Taft’s “Big Dollar” diplomacy…

Give me good ol’ jingoistic Roosevelt and his “Big Stick” any day. It may be our only salvation, in the end.

Militant Bibliophile on December 7, 2006 at 9:18 PM

Violence is the answer to all our problems.

JaHerer22 on December 7, 2006 at 7:41 PM

Trolls are SO predictable. Since they are incapable of reason, they can only spout their dogma. Why don’t you go to a Muslim country and tell THEM that “Violence is the answer to all our problems?” THEY are the ones that actually believe that kind of garbage, not the neo-cons.

CyberCipher on December 7, 2006 at 9:32 PM

Now. So what’s YOUR brilliant idea for getting us out of this mess?

“internet nobody.”

CyberCipher on December 7, 2006 at 9:17 PM

I won’t waste the time outlining my opinions to someone who seems to have their mind firmly made up already- but I will say is that I would no more care to live in a society of intolerance that you seem to advocate than the one the Islamic Extremists are advocating.

Bradky on December 7, 2006 at 10:23 PM

I wonder if you can come together around the idea that you should do something that will work. It seems what Americans had better do is something that will quickly take away rich Saudis’ ability to oppose the Americans in warfare. If this requires merely that the Americans sip some Earl Grey with the Saudi “princes,” the Americans had better do only that, and then turn their attention and exertions to other matters. If destroying the “House of Saud” and taking control of the Peninsula’s natural resources will not solve the problem of Saudi interference, then the Americans certainly had better not waste their time on such a course of action.

Kralizec on December 8, 2006 at 5:11 AM

Ha, that is funny. Sending money to the people who will kick your ass and take the rest of your money away someday. No wonder they have had thousands of years of wars.
It reminds me of the minorities (Jews and Blacks mainly) who support the liberal democrats. The liberals hate the Jews and keep the Blacks on the plantation.

right2bright on December 8, 2006 at 8:24 AM

CyberCipher on December 7, 2006 at 9:32 PM

CC, they are capable of reason…if you put a ‘t’ in front of it.
/lamely laughs at own joke

urbancenturion on December 8, 2006 at 11:04 AM

In any other time, and in most other countries, this kind of financing would be an act of war. Which it is by the way. However, in our politically-correct/rose-colored glasses view of the world, this is merely a debate worthy piece of news.

These Saudis sent the people who slammed in to the World Trade Center. I suppose they were private citizens too.

How shameful we are as a country to allow these people to conduct war against us as we turn a blind eye.

JonR on December 8, 2006 at 2:35 PM