Report: Democrats meet with Hamas?

posted at 5:00 pm on December 6, 2006 by Allahpundit

I’m skeptical, not because I think they’re opposed on principle but because they’d worry about people finding out. That’s why half of them voted for the Iraq war. Fear of being seen as soft.

It’s not like they’d having nothing to talk about, though.

Hamas met with a delegation of “important Democrats” who expressed interest in relations with the Palestinian terror group even if it doesn’t recognize the right of Israel to exist, a Palestinian news website claimed today.

Maannews quoted a source in the Hamas-led Palestinian Authority stating the terror group felt it important to meet with members of the Democratic Party since, the Hamas source said, the party will likely win 2008 presidential elections…

According to the report, the alleged meeting with the Democrats took place in a European country following a series of preliminary meetings with representatives from the British and French governments.

The source told Maannews the Democrats expressed an understanding with the Hamas principal of not recognizing Israel and applauded Hamas’ willingness to accept a long-term cease-fire with the Jewish state in exchange for an Israeli withdrawal to what is known as the pre-1967 borders…

Never mind who the Democrats are meeting with. Who’s the GOP meeting with? And what are they talking about with them?

Officials said the Baker proposal to exclude Israel from a Middle East peace conference garnered support in the wake of Vice President Dick Cheney’s visit to Saudi Arabia on Nov. 25. They said Mr. Cheney spent most of his meetings listening to Saudi warnings that Israel, rather than Iran, is the leading cause of instability in the Middle East.

“He [Cheney] didn’t even get the opportunity to seriously discuss the purpose of his visit—that the Saudis help the Iraqi government and persuade the Sunnis to stop their attacks,” another official familiar with Mr. Cheney’s visit said. “Instead, the Saudis kept saying that they wanted a U.S. initiative to stop the Israelis’ attack in Gaza and Cheney just agreed.”

It wouldn’t surprise me at this point. That quote, in fact, comes from the Insight mag article linked on Drudge that notes the Baker Commission’s plan for a grand conference of all key Middle Eastern nations — except one. And given that it’s Jim Baker’s idea, you shouldn’t have to ask which one it is.

They made a casual reference in the report to the right of return too, wouldn’t you know. Just slipped it in there in Recommendation 17 as a jumping-off point for dialogue. Which was smart thinking because Khaled Meshaal said earlier this week that without the right of return, not even the creation of a Palestinian state will stop Hamas from restarting the intifada.

So there’s a lot to talk about.

Comments

Birds of a feather…..

quax1 on December 6, 2006 at 5:08 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least in leading Democrats met with Hamas.

dalewalt on December 6, 2006 at 5:09 PM

Of course the Democrats met with a major, radical, anti-West terrorist group to appease and make nice. Any other news today?

lynnv on December 6, 2006 at 5:13 PM

Not surprised..and believe it completely… I just want to know WHO the Dems are. Names! Give me names… Ammo!!

tickleddragon on December 6, 2006 at 5:17 PM

Is ANYONE in our government FOR the USA anymore???

NTWR on December 6, 2006 at 5:19 PM

Wow…. Washington has NO clue… and getting worse all the time.

The same people who failed in the past (Baker et al.) are now going to try the same thing agian…

Yes, there will be peace in the middle east, because the fight will be in Europe, and over here… as we will have surrendured there….

Sad… and getting sadder.

Romeo13 on December 6, 2006 at 5:20 PM

MY HEAD FEELS LIKE IT’S GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!!!

Troy Rasmussen on December 6, 2006 at 5:22 PM

Never mind who the Democrats are meeting with. Who’s the GOP meeting with?

You mean … OTHER than La Raza?

Gregor on December 6, 2006 at 5:22 PM

Are we living in the twilight zone?

Troy Rasmussen on December 6, 2006 at 5:22 PM

There will be a hell of a Jewish backlash against the Dems for this one

Defector01 on December 6, 2006 at 5:30 PM

Let’s connect the dots:

Hamas is supported, funded, and armed by Iran and Syria, and Iran and Syria support, fund and arm the “insurgents” (gosh, I hate that word) which are fighting and killing soldiers of the United States of America. The Democrats hate President Bush and will do anything to defeat, harm, and overthrow him, including meeting with agents of our enemy.

This reminded me of a word……..

Main Entry: trea·son
Pronunciation: ‘trE-z&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English tresoun, from Anglo-French traisun, from Latin tradition-, traditio act of handing over, from tradere to hand over, betray — more at TRAITOR
1 : the betrayal of a trust : TREACHERY
2 : the offense of attempting by overt acts to overthrow the government of the state to which the offender owes allegiance or to kill or personally injure the sovereign or the sovereign’s family

PinkyBigglesworth on December 6, 2006 at 5:36 PM

Why wouldn’t they meet with them? They are ideological brethren, albeit the Dems have to soften it for public consumption. The Swimmer was running backchannels with the Soviets, so this is small potatoes.

JammieWearingFool on December 6, 2006 at 5:37 PM

BTW, is the JPost part of the rightwing smear machine?

JammieWearingFool on December 6, 2006 at 5:40 PM

Any Jew who supports the Democratic party is suicidal. I shake my head in bewilderment at the way the Jews are treated by democrats, and the Jews are so loyal to democrats. Excuse my insensitivity, but does it take a holocaust for the Jews to hate someone? Well they are supporting a political party that is helping plan that grand event. God pray for their wisdom.

right2bright on December 6, 2006 at 5:48 PM

Exactly like African Americans. It warps the mind.

Gregor on December 6, 2006 at 5:50 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh……

Let the Democrats keep on being….themselves. Let them keep this up. Don’t say or do anything to get in the way of these clowns being Themsleves.

By the time they actually take offfice in Congress next month, they will be fully revealed as….Democrats.

I love the smell of Incredible Stupidity & Political Suicide in the morning. Smells like….. victory

Janos Hunyadi on December 6, 2006 at 5:50 PM

hmm… i would like to see how our resident liberals here on this blog to defend their terrorist supporting Democrats

Starblazer on December 6, 2006 at 5:55 PM

Don’t know if the headline story is true or not, but regardless, I think I can properly reach one conclusion with all the verified idiocy coming from both sides of the aisle in Washington these days:

We.

Are.

F—ed.

thirteen28 on December 6, 2006 at 5:56 PM

correction – hmmm… i would like to see how our resident liberals here on this blog would like to defend their terrorist supporting Democrats.

Starblazer on December 6, 2006 at 5:56 PM

If this report is true, if Dems met with Hamas, the enemy, it should be tantamount to treason.

amerpundit on December 6, 2006 at 5:57 PM

They’ve got two years worth of rope to hang themselves with. Looks like they’re already way ahead of schedule.

irishsquid on December 6, 2006 at 5:57 PM

Sort of reminds me of Ted kennedy meeting with the Russians during the Reagan years.

THAT didn’t cause people to vote conservative. This won’t either.

Gregor on December 6, 2006 at 5:58 PM

With heaps of steaming moral equivalence would be my guess.

quax1 on December 6, 2006 at 5:58 PM

Gregor, so basically you’re not saying it’s not right, you’re just saying at least it won’t affect elections….

amerpundit on December 6, 2006 at 6:00 PM

Sounds like we need another “Porkbusters” style call your Senator and ask if they were part of this, project.

AndrewsDad on December 6, 2006 at 6:02 PM

Simple. The ISRAELIS are the terrorists. Not Hamas! Not Hezbollah!

irishsquid on December 6, 2006 at 6:03 PM

Gregor on December 6, 2006 at 5:22 PM

Peeeeew! What a Schwein! 500 lbs of it! How does that affect global warming and the environment? Call A. Gore.

No, we shouldn’t. He’s never liked Israel and doesn’t hide it.

The liberals here are no different from the ones in Europe (where most people are liberal). They think Israel is the cause of all evil and don’t care what happens to it.

I’m just as befuddled as right2bright on December 6, 2006 at 5:48 PM and some of my Jewish friends, who’re not liberals but have relatives/friends galore who are, explain that it’s some guilt for their success, some affiliation with having suffered so much, and feeling for the oppressed, and some of it is just simply ideology.

Entelechy on December 6, 2006 at 6:11 PM

Simple; provide Israel with the armaments and the blessing to eliminate the threat once and for all. end of story… for a while anyway.

Viper1 on December 6, 2006 at 6:12 PM

THAT didn’t cause people to vote conservative. This won’t either.

Gregor

…bingo….

When you live in a world where there’s no *OBJECTIVE* right and wrong…when defining evil is taken out of the hands of men…then life and life’s actions are nothing more than a vast array of “options”, a vast spectrum of “things I can do if I can get away with it”.

My own generation, and generations since, have been gently nudged in the direction of negotiable ethics, the situational sense that the end justifies the means…one product of which was the whole “the story was false but it expressed the truth” gambit.

We’re being lied to by *MASTERS* of obfuscation in the establishment media, and by politicians of *BOTH* parties who’d have their mothers bl*wing dead dogs for nickels if it could get them even a millimeter’s advantage over their enemies.

Hence, we have the “culture war” O’Reilly’s turned to his profit…blue-voters attacking red-voters over even their choice of retailer — “Wal*Mart is evil” — and neither side aware of the shallowness of their leadership.

The jihadis don’t live under such misapprehensions. They know who *THEIR* enemies are, and they’re not the least hesitant to spare no expense of blood or treasure to strike at that enemy….US.

So, all of the political posturing rings hollow with me.

This is a sad day for America.

Puritan1648 on December 6, 2006 at 6:16 PM

amerpundit on December 6, 2006 at 6:00 PM

No! Absolutely not. I’m saying that no matter what kind of disgusting acts Democrats do … people seem to be too stupid to get it. Look at the open borders/amnesty mess. Americans stomp, scream, and throw fits writing about how disgusted they are … but nobody does a thing about it. No protests. No rallys. No marches. No assassinations.

We deserve whatever happens.

Gregor on December 6, 2006 at 6:24 PM

I’m tempted to move to Australia, but I don’t like their gun laws. I guess when the time comes I’ll sit at the front window with my levergun and shoot jihadis on the front lawn. I’ve shot a couple of wild hawgs with it, but it hasn’t seen any real action. Might be fun.

RedWinged Blackbird on December 6, 2006 at 6:36 PM

It is no surprise that the democraps would meet with the enemy. Unauthorized negotiations/contact and undermining our legitimate foreign service is practically a trademark for those idiots. Young traitor Kerry did it in Paris a few times.

Thinking they “control” the government again, they are probably negotiating surrender and co-planning pulling the rug out from under the Israelis. The one thing they know best, surrender.

Zorro on December 6, 2006 at 6:45 PM

Gregor on December 6, 2006 at 5:22 PM

The link from this comment has changed – it used to link to a picture of the 500 lbs of Ted Kennedy.

Entelechy on December 6, 2006 at 6:52 PM

… but nobody does a thing about it.

Because Americans, by and large, have abdicated their responsibility for self government. As long as someone puts a chicken in their pot and they can watch American idol on the Barco lounger, life is just grand.

Keep your powder dry …

AZ_Redneck on December 6, 2006 at 6:59 PM

The link from this comment has changed

Entelechy on December 6, 2006 at 6:52 PM

The link I posted on the comment was to Kennedy’s meeting with Russian leaders during Reagan’s re-election campaign. The link to the Kennedy “fat slob” story was from my screen ID which links to my website.

Gregor on December 6, 2006 at 6:59 PM

There will be a hell of a Jewish backlash against the Dems for this one

Change “will” to “should”, but it never happens. Between this damned commission and the Dems, I think Israel is in real trouble. Not that Bush has done a hell of a lot, but I have a feeling it’s going to get much worse.

Stupid is as stupid does.

reaganaut on December 6, 2006 at 7:01 PM

Are we living in the Twilight Zone?

Yes… we are

Opinionnation on December 6, 2006 at 7:07 PM

Sorry folks, the link to Gregor’s home-page actually shows the glorious Ted Kennedy in a bathing suit, at least right now.

Entelechy on December 6, 2006 at 7:09 PM

I remember reading an article once by a prominent Jewish writer explaining why Jews (both religious and secular) tended to be Democrats even if the Democrats did not vote in the best interest of Jews.

The writer’s main point was that Jews blamed the horrors of the holocaust on religious extremism and, as a result, we very leary of religious ‘fervor’ even if it seemed to be tilted in their favor (i.e. Evangelicals being one of the groups which are most supportive of Israel).

Not sure how true that is, but that was one writer’s take on the issue.

JadeNYU on December 6, 2006 at 7:12 PM

Gee, you would think that at least GregH would come to his terrorist buddies defense.

Starblazer on December 6, 2006 at 7:12 PM

correction – you would at least expect GregH to come to his terrorist supporting Democrats defense

Starblazer on December 6, 2006 at 7:13 PM

wouldn’t it be great if those democrats that are supporting their terrorist buddies & it turns out to be people like John “Cut & Run” Murtha / Nancy “San Francisco Values” Pelosi & Alcee “Sorry, Haters” Hastings

Starblazer on December 6, 2006 at 7:17 PM

There will be a hell of a Jewish backlash against the Dems for this one

Every few months something happens that I think to myself, “There will be a hell of a backlash from the [fill-in-the-blank-loyal-Dem-voting-group],” but there never is! 1994 was the best spanking the Dems have gotten in recent times, but they apparently didn’t learn anything from it, and their most loyal groups never budged. They can totally take those groups for granted, and they know it.

aero on December 6, 2006 at 7:46 PM

“no matter what kind of disgusting acts Democrats do … people seem to be too stupid to get it. ”

True.

amerpundit on December 6, 2006 at 8:32 PM

Hamas and the Dhimmicrats, two members of the Axis of Evil are talking to each other. And this is news? Hamas, the overlords and the Dhimmis who serve (and probably service) them.

Let’s get a statement from a dhimmi on the street …

“Kill me last! PLEASE!”

And there you have it folks, kill me last indeed, back to you in the studio, Ken.

Tony737 on December 6, 2006 at 8:37 PM

Here is the original source for the story

In the American arena, the source said that Hamas has made a great deal of progress after a meeting took place between a delegation from the Hamas movement and many American figures from the Democrat party in a third, unnamed country.

Ripclawe on December 6, 2006 at 9:02 PM

I posted about this in the Hot Air article on the Iraq Study Report a few minutes ago.

I am Jewish and I have never once voted for the Dims. My father and grandmother were both very conservative. Both voted for Goldwater in 1964 if that tells you anything.

I view the Dims as being Israel’s worst enemy. President Nixon sent Israel badly needed military aid in October 1973 during the Yom Kippur War, his predecessor (LBJ) would never have done that.

It is certainly within the realm of possibility that some Dims met with Hamas, Hezzbolah, and any other terror group and work with them to help make Bush look bad. I do not view them as patriotic and I am convinced many of them want the U.S. to lose the War on Terror.

Mooseman

Mooseman on December 6, 2006 at 9:46 PM

I regret to tell you the Jews are a lost cause on voting. It’s a very long story, but it seems to involve deep and irrational primal fears. And I can tell you right now that James Baker’s reappearance will solidify Jews in their irrational behavior. “Sure there are a bunch of anti-semites on the left, but the Republicans are all James Bakers.” Mark my word.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on December 6, 2006 at 10:35 PM

…a little Burt Prelutsky would go good right now…a little epistle about Jews, the ACLU, and things in general. Always worth a read, Ol’ Burt.

Puritan1648 on December 6, 2006 at 11:31 PM

Now you guys know that the Democrats came into power November 7th with no real game plan. It’s obvious to me that they’re just having meetings with the base to receive their marching orders. Does anyone know how to translate “the base” into Arabic?

Buzzy on December 7, 2006 at 12:37 AM

No offense, but I think it’s stringents like Malkin and Allsah that make it impossible for Cheney and Bush to say ANYTHING or your know, respond …whither the next GOP.

The left reflectively oppose EVERYTHING Cheney/Bush propose or do, so it’s pretty tough to stand strong with peanutist’s like Allah whining every other minute.

Has tooooooooooo much criticism ever crossed their minds?

Topsecretk9 on December 7, 2006 at 1:34 AM

You know what would have been a really good headline for this story? ‘Democrats meet with Hamas to discuss the Jewish Question’. It’s what it boils down to and it would pretty much go the same way it did historically. My own question is: Would this move the Jewish vote from the Democrat party? Unfortunately, probably not. Baker and the Realpolitik Republicans are equally dirty in this. I saw a headline on Drudge about Baker wanting to exclude Israel from a regional meeting and now I hear Palestinian ‘right of return’ being bandied about. We have no leadership in Washington; we have nobody in the bullpen. We’ve got some seriously dark days ahead of us…it took me a month to crawl out of the pit of despair after the election; unfortunately, except for better lighting, it’s not much better up here. I’m going back down.

austinnelly on December 7, 2006 at 2:03 AM

True or not, it will have little to no effect on the voting public. The alphabet lamestream media won’t report it and the majority of America won’t hear about it. The few that do will write it off as another right wing smear.

Like in the Bolshevik Revolution, the left has effectively brainwashed many and spoon feed them what they like to hear …. to their own detriment.

LewWaters on December 7, 2006 at 2:36 AM

Big Surprise. (Not)

Mooseman – perhaps you can answer a question. Why is it so many Jews in the United States are fervent supports of the Democrats and the Left?

omegaram on December 7, 2006 at 12:45 PM

We have no hope until we define and “treat” TREASON !

stenwin77 on December 7, 2006 at 1:36 PM

Omegaram,

I wish I could explain why so many Jewish people vote for the Dims and lefty causes. I stopped talking to a number of relatives who are Moonbats and are unable to understand the issues.

Part of the reason may be President Truman recognizing the State of Israel.

When I was in college, the President of the College Republicans was Jewish, he is now a left wing Dimocrat :(

I met a number Israelis when I was in college and many of them were surprised by how liberal other Jewish students were. Some even lectured the Israelis with a pro Palestinian viewpoint. When they met me and learned my views, they were relieved to see not all Jewish people in Boston were misguided.

I wish I could explain it better.

Mooseman