Photo Update: ACLU Nativity scene

posted at 10:25 am on December 5, 2006 by Ian

Last week, I brought news that University of Texas conservatives would display a nativity scene that the ACLU would approve of in the spirit of secularism. Stop the ACLU now has a photo–take a look at the “Solstice Barn.”

Comments

I like it. I want one for the front yard.
I also liked the story where PETA sent a letter to a church about their “live” nativity scene.
Humorous stuff.

vcferlita on December 5, 2006 at 10:39 AM

If you want to make a real ACLU Christmas statement…

Set up a manger scene with no people, just animals.

Or set up a manger scene with a large bench with nine old judges in black robes.

Lawrence on December 5, 2006 at 10:47 AM

If we say “Ho, ho, ho,” will that be deemed offensive to ho’s?

Merry holiday!

JammieWearingFool on December 5, 2006 at 10:53 AM

You know what’s funny?

Not belaboring something to death.

honora on December 5, 2006 at 10:54 AM

You know what’s funny?

Not belaboring something to death.

honora on December 5, 2006 at 10:54 AM

That seems a bit couter-intuitive. Usually, comedy is precisely about belaboring idiotic things…

urbancenturion on December 5, 2006 at 10:55 AM

oops, troll

urbancenturion on December 5, 2006 at 10:56 AM

urbancenturion on December 5, 2006 at 10:55 AM

Really? I always think originality is the core of humor. Even when there is a repetition of a premise (Monty Python, most of Brooks) it’s done in an original fashion.

honora on December 5, 2006 at 11:01 AM

honora, are you always such a downer? I’ve always wondered what it must be like to be a liberal…always sad or mad about something. No wonder you have no sense of humor.

SouthernGent on December 5, 2006 at 11:07 AM

I like the premise, I’m always up for some good natured mocking no matter who the target is, but it looks like they did a pretty shitty job. Where are the animals? Are the figures just cardboard cut outs with heads pasted on? If you are going to do something, do it right.

JaHerer22 on December 5, 2006 at 11:11 AM

honora: That’s what you get for thinking…which makes as much sense as your post above.

DoctorDentons on December 5, 2006 at 11:23 AM

The ACLU has beaten a dead horse to post mortem many times. Just like Jesse Jackson et al beat the dying horse of rascism. Most cases their claims just aren’t true. They are sensationalized to provoke sympathy for their mostly non existant cause and to garner more authority for themselves.

Which point is being belaboured to death here though? The ACLU is percieved by these Texas students as an organisation that is harmfull to America and American values, and as such they parodied its position to create public discourse and scrutiny. Something the MSM refuses to do, incidentaly.
I found their manger scene to be origional.

Wyrd on December 5, 2006 at 11:24 AM

This a little off topic but I find it curious. It seems liberals on this site are constantly portrayed as dull, sad, whiny, humorless, too PC to laugh, always down, etc. Yet at the same time there is always moaning about the liberal monopoly on comedians and Hollywood celebrities. Stewart, Colbert, Letterman, Leno, the list goes on and on. So what gives? If liberals don’t have a sense of humor why do they have all the comedians?

JaHerer22 on December 5, 2006 at 11:24 AM

Liberals are humorless. I think we’ve belabored that point.

JammieWearingFool on December 5, 2006 at 11:24 AM

JaHerer22 on December 5, 2006 at 11:24 AM

I know, I know!!!!

honora on December 5, 2006 at 11:28 AM

SouthernGent on December 5, 2006 at 11:07 AM

No I am not always such a downer. I do have some standards however.

honora on December 5, 2006 at 11:30 AM

It’s funny…not HAHA funny though, just funny.

mrflashman on December 5, 2006 at 11:32 AM

I don’t think that really helps your point. Except for Leno, none of those people are funny. I mean, if you think pounding on George Bush, conservatives, and other ‘uncool’ people in really nasty personal ways is funny, well, I guess they are. I find them annoying myself.

You know what’s funny? Not belaboring something to death.

So I’m sure you don’t laugh when the above comedians make fun of Christian conservatives as a bunch of rubes and hayseeds. I’m sure you hang around DU and Kos and tell them to stop making fun of the President, or SecState Rice. Somehow i doubt that. What’s wrong with their display? They put it up because they’re sick of people trying to tear down Christmas EVERY YEAR. They’re sick of people trying to remove a holiday from the public square. I’m tired of people being offended by Christmas. I don’t remember an enumerated right to not being offended in the Constitution. I say bravo to those guys. I’m sure some militant lefties will vandalize it within the next day or so. Young Conservatives are vastly outnumbered on that campus; don’t worry honora, they won’t be belaboring that unfunny point for very long. One of your militant ilk will censor them with a bootheel and destroy it.

austinnelly on December 5, 2006 at 12:18 PM

I’m outraged at this scene! Where are the women!? There seems to be only one – at most two – as opposed to five or six men. And she is there only to provide entertainment for men. As it ever is! Along with Gary and Joseph, where are Mary and Josephina?

And where are the People of Color?

Shocking, simply shocking.
______

The reason, honora, that the point is not being belabored “to death” is because the issue is not dead. Not content to simply take on the claims of aggrieved non-Christians, the ACLU continues to send people nationwide to search out instances of Christianity in the public space [not so much Judiasm or Islam...go figure], and to bring suit against those expressions. Maybe if they back off, the “belabor[ed] something” will have a chance to die off. ‘Till then, sarc on!

eeyore on December 5, 2006 at 12:42 PM

I’ve never seen a Natvity scene with so many JACKASSES.

seejanemom on December 5, 2006 at 12:49 PM

austinnelly on December 5, 2006 at 12:18 PM

Ok, now this is funny!!!

honora on December 5, 2006 at 12:58 PM

I am offended at this desecration of the nativity scene…using this sacred scene for humor, especially ridiculous partisan humor is inexcusable. Sad that the ACLU would prbably defend the right to create such a scene.

crr6 on December 5, 2006 at 1:15 PM

oh shit wait, republican’s did it?

i mean, hahahaha this is hilarious

crr6 on December 5, 2006 at 1:24 PM

You know what’s funny?

Not belaboring something to death.

honora on December 5, 2006 at 10:54 AM

honora, I actually am awed that you wrote this. I don’t think you meant ‘funny’.

crr6 on December 5, 2006 at 1:15 PM – we know who you are. You didn’t have to be so obvious, again.

Entelechy on December 5, 2006 at 1:43 PM

I’m a little disappointed. The scene’s neither funny nor very clever. Lawrence’s idea of 9 judges behind a bench in a manger is much more clever and funny.

However, even though the comment was insincere, I must agree with crr6′s concern that it might offend the religious sensibilities of some. I personally didn’t find it offensive (just boring), but some might be bothered if they consider the nativity sacred. For a political group who has, in the past, expressed concern about such things as Kanye West posing as Christ for

Rolling Stone

, such a display seems a little hypocritical.

Jens on December 5, 2006 at 3:00 PM

The whole left/right/humor thing is gut-wrenchingly easy to understand.

Conservatives laugh at themselves and liberals.

Liberals only laugh at conservatives.

Liberal comics have twice the audience.

Duh.

Add to that the “community bias” problem that’s the same as Hollywood, since a lot of the TV comedy community overlaps, and, well, Bob’s your uncle.

Merovign on December 5, 2006 at 3:18 PM

The whole left/right/humor thing is gut-wrenchingly easy to understand.

Conservatives laugh at themselves and liberals.

Liberals only laugh at conservatives.

Liberal comics have twice the audience.
Duh.

Merovign on December 5, 2006 at 3:18 PM

Huh? Liberals only laugh at conservative comics? So I only laugh at whom? Dennis Miller? Not Stewart or Maher or Colbert or Williams or Crystal or Rock? Really?

I really must be gut wreachingly stupid but that seems a little off.

honora on December 5, 2006 at 3:31 PM

honora, he meant that Liberals only laugh at jokes about Conservatives…and Conservatives laugh at jokes about Liberals and Conservatives…

and yes, GUT-WREACHINGLY stupid covers it on that count.

tickleddragon on December 5, 2006 at 3:55 PM

I love that the baby Jesus is replaced with “the season”.

Great stuff! Conservatives should use more humor to make their point.

budorob on December 5, 2006 at 4:26 PM

JaHerer22 on December 5, 2006 at 11:24 AM

It all depends on one’s definition of comedian.

A true comedian is someone who focuses their comedy on a wider audience, any political satire presented by a true comedian would would be funny to both liberals and conservatives.

Much liberal commedy is really political satire focused on a specific liberal audience. This would be considered comedy to them, but many liberals think that blatant hateful insulting of other’s views is funny, except when it is hateful insulting against them.

Case in point. Michael Richards using the “N” word. On the flip side if was a Black commedian insulting “Honkies” it would be considered comedy to liberals. Liberals would laugh at the insulting nature of the joke, while conservatives would laugh at the irony of liberals laughing at such a joke.

Lawrence on December 5, 2006 at 5:40 PM

Wow, that was really big of you to admit that, honora. We’re all pulling for you during your recovery phase.

Merovign on December 5, 2006 at 5:41 PM

If you think this is funny, check out the New Progressive Bible. A snippet for your review:

Every progressive Christian worth his/her/its “pillar of salt” is sure to enjoy the revised story of Moses, whose crusading band of Zionist aggressors ambushed the disenfranchised Egyptian freedom fighters in what became known as the “Red Sea Massacre.”

Other revised inspirational stories of moral relativism include:

The Organic Garden of Eden
Pharaoh Has Two Mummies
What Happens in Sodom and Gomorrah Stays in Sodom and Gomorrah
Noah Builds Ark to Survive Global Warming
Jonah Saves the Whale
David Appeases Goliath
The Bilingual Writing on the Wall
The Tower of Babel & The Controlled Demolition Theory
Uncle Samson & The NY Times Reporter Delilah
Judas The ACLU Lawyer
Joseph & Mary Celebrate Holiday Season By Donating Fetus To Federal Embryonic Stem Cell Bank
Government Program Feeds The Multitudes with Five “Whole Grain” Loaves And Two Non-Endangered Fishes

….

NTWR on December 5, 2006 at 6:29 PM

An instant classic… though I believe they forgot Baby Darwin.

RightWinged on December 5, 2006 at 8:39 PM

Nice try but the ACLU doesn’t have ANY wise men nor virgins.

Mojave Mark on December 5, 2006 at 9:11 PM

Gotta love it YAHHHHH!!! For years I have called the ACLU the Atheist, Communist, and Liberals Union.

Confederate on December 6, 2006 at 10:04 AM