Video: Popemania!

posted at 6:43 pm on November 30, 2006 by Allahpundit

We know what happened at the mosque. How about at Hagia Sophia? Would he dare risk sending the world’s Muslims into “paroxysms of fury” by falling to his knees and praying at the world’s most famous church-turned-mosque-turned museum, as Pope Paul VI did forty years before him? The answer awaits!

Thanks to our unofficial UK correspondent, kasper kasper, for the vid.

Comments

Great vidcap portrait there AP.
I can fairly see the dull knife in his hands.

Stephen M on November 30, 2006 at 7:08 PM

Pope: “Nein, I vill not give you my chews. I am not like zhat anymore!”

laelaps on November 30, 2006 at 7:16 PM

Ther only war the world is engaged in now is the war to see who can kiss the most muslim ass.

Scot on November 30, 2006 at 7:21 PM

Well, lets just see what sort of nonsence I can make up here.

I say he did pray. Go to about 3/4 of the way through the video. You will hear the following:

“The Pontif hemed in by a phalynx (sic?) of security guards. Any hint of prayer here likely to enrage Turkish Islamists, who still regard this museum as an Ottoman Mosque.”

Notice that he brings his hands up, palm to palm in front of his face for about 1/2 a second during this dialog. Like he would while praying. Hence, he prayed.

OK, its not a very long prayer, but I’m calling it a prayer, dang it! He prayed! In your face, Muffti whatsyourname! In your face!

So the answer to this question Would he dare risk sending the world’s Muslims into “paroxysms of fury” by falling to his knees and praying at the world’s most famous church-turned-mosque-turned museum, as Pope Paul VI did forty years before him? is a definite YES!*

(OK, he didn’t fall to his knees, but why quibble about little inconvenient fact at a time like this? I’m in gloat mode. The Popes not a Dhimmi! Neyeah neyeah neyeah!)

EFG on November 30, 2006 at 7:33 PM

I’m not a Catholic (I’m a non-denominational evangelical), but I have had a fair amount of respect for the Catholic church in recent times. But since Benedict became Pope, some of that respect has diminished because I don’t see him making any useful attempt to combat unbelief, false religion, and moral darkness that’s hammering away at and within the church.

This is just one more example. Praying to Jesus in a mosque wouldn’t in and of itself bother me, but his apparent involvement in a Muslim religious rite (praying alongside Muslim clerics towards Mecca) appears like nothing other than a Christian worshiping a false god in a false ceremony. This is deeply troubling to me, not only in a spiritual sense but in a political sense as well. There are millions of Christians around the world being persecuted vehemently by Islamists. Somehow, the idea of them seeing the #1 Christian leader in the world praying in a mosque with Muslims makes me feel sick.

I pray that God can use this obviously publicity stunt for some good somehow. I certainly can’t see any myself at the moment.

Jared White on November 30, 2006 at 7:48 PM

Did Ratzinger drop the Jizya in the bucket on the way out? Sheesh.

Kid from Brooklyn on November 30, 2006 at 7:56 PM

This is hardly a “stunt”

billy on November 30, 2006 at 7:57 PM

He’s looking up and seeing where he’s going to put the cross after Turkey falls.

DrM2B on November 30, 2006 at 8:20 PM

God Bless the Pope. I like this guy, he’s got guts.

Maxx on November 30, 2006 at 8:49 PM

I’m a Catholic so if you think this post is biased then fair enough.

I think Pope Benedict has shown more balls than any Western leader alive. He challegended Islam and particulary its tendency to punish apostates with violence. His response to the furor over his Regensburg address was robust. He never gave a genuine apology which is why Turkisk protestors are still demanding a (real) apology. His visit to turkey will empower the Christian minorities there (hopefully). I think that Benedict may be one of the crucial Popes of human history if he lives long.

aengus on November 30, 2006 at 10:34 PM

The Pope went to Turkey, despite the loud and ugly threats against his life. How many others would have stood firm and gone? He is issuing calls to all Christians to unite – read Orthodox, Coptic, Protestant … who cares if he prayed or not in the Hagia Sophia – who’d thought he’d make it there in the first place?

naliaka on November 30, 2006 at 10:44 PM

How about a Right of Return(tm) for Christians to Byzantine lands?

Hack Ptui on November 30, 2006 at 11:15 PM

It seems to me that I remember Ratzinger being looked upon with disdain by liberals inside and outside of the Church for being a “hardliner” and “enforcer”. That’s why I was glad to see him raised to the “top spot”. I don’t think he’s going to go soft on us now.

Jeff on December 1, 2006 at 5:39 AM

The Pope in his pagan garb, has as much to do with Jesus Christ as Constatine and all the perverted Caesars.

LZVandy on December 1, 2006 at 6:54 AM

I’m a fisheater, so I may be biased, but I think the Pope has been showing the Muslims what a TRUE religon of peace is supposed to look like. Not only that, he also got some good digs in as well. When he went and did a memorial for the Turkish priest and nun who were shot in the back of the head while praying because some guy was pissed off over a Danish Cartoon, AWSOME! Just a quick reminder to the Muslims of what a real Martyr looks like.

BohicaTwentyTwo on December 1, 2006 at 8:42 AM

Another Catholic, here. I think the Church gets the Pope it needs in a given time. What we need right now is a Pope with a strong spine and a no-nonsense attitude, who can be a rallying point for Christians of all stripes in the current climate. And I believe we have him, in Benedict XVI.

And Jared? I think

apparent involvement

is the operative phrase, here. I’ve attended enough interfaith events to believe that clergymen behaving courteously during one another’s ceremonies is nothing more than politeness. People who are not Catholic perform “Catholic calisthenics” during Mass. My husband wears a yarmulke when we attend religious events at a synagogue. I expect that if I had cause to go into a mosque during services (I don’t expect this to come up; I don’t think there even IS one within many miles of my home, but you never know), I’d cover my head and face toward Mecca, too … but my thoughts would be my own, and my prayers directed to God, not to Allah.

Stefka on December 1, 2006 at 10:34 AM

The only war the world is engaged in now is the war to see who can kiss the most muslim ass.

Scot, my man, truer words were never spoken. It never ceases to amaze me how basic rules that people apply to every day life get lost when they’re scaled up to global size.

Use as many disclaimers as you want about rank and file Muslims. The ones that run the Islamic world are global scale bullies. Giving up your “lunch money” today will only get you more missing “lunch money” and a “bloody nose” tomorrow. It’s in the nature of bullies.

dostrick on December 1, 2006 at 11:48 AM

Dhimmitude or balls to the wall? I honestly can’t tell. I’m thinking the former.

Timber Wolf on December 1, 2006 at 12:19 PM

I think Pope Benedict has shown more balls than any Western leader alive. He challegended Islam and particulary its tendency to punish apostates with violence. — aengus

…how many divisions does the Pope have? That’s what’s needed. Not gestures. Not visits. Not half-gestures.

This isn’t a “war of ideas”. It never has been. We’re fighting against a people who aren’t *ALLOWED* to think. Their book and their law doesn’t allow them to question. They are to submit. Full stop.

So, this is what it’s always been: a war of steel against steel. Unless he’s releasing his Swiss Guard to patrol in Faluja, this is all so much eyewash.

Puritan1648 on December 1, 2006 at 3:32 PM

There’s a strong cause to be made for just war against the Muslims to protect religious minorities and women in those countries. The British Empire was good for supressing this ridiculous Islamism and allowing missionaries into these countries. This Pope has shown nothing but dhimmitude. The vicar of Christ? Please. When did he call the Turks to repentance and faith in Christ?

PRCalDude on December 1, 2006 at 6:22 PM