Webb, Bush clash at White House meet and greet

posted at 9:41 am on November 29, 2006 by Allahpundit

Bush made a gesture of love and respect, much as a father might in picking up his son, turning him over, and putting his penis in his mouth.

Alas, there was no penis to be had.

At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia’s newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn’t long before Bush found him.

“How’s your boy?” Bush asked, referring to Webb’s son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

“I’d like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President,” Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

“That’s not what I asked you,” Bush said. “How’s your boy?”

“That’s between me and my boy, Mr. President,” Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

“That’s not what I asked you” is kind of a dick thing to say by Bush, in Webb’s defense. Although admittedly, not as dickish as what Webb said.

How’d WaPo find out about this, anyway? The article says Webb confirmed the exchange when they interviewed him, but they wouldn’t need him to do that if the reporter had heard it happen firsthand. Smells like something Webb’s people planted in order to give the Kossacks something to moon over before, in a gesture of scorn and contempt, he spits out their collective schwanz and goes maverick on them.

Jim Webb: the Joe Lieberman of 2012!

Update: Via Mary K, looks like Webb himself was indeed the source, sort of:

At a private reception held at the White House with newly elected lawmakers shortly after the election, Bush asked Webb how his son, a Marine lance corporal serving in Iraq, was doing.

Webb responded that he really wanted to see his son brought back home, said a person who heard about the exchange from Webb.

He also said, supposedly, that he was so angry he wanted to take a swing at Bush.

Update: As usual, I have to explain the joke.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mr. Webb has no class or social grace. To try and avoid his host at a reception held in his honor is rude and seems to be typical of this batch of democrat senators and congressman. Did he attend just for the free food and drinks? Or was he looking for a conflict? If so, why there with other guest present, why not be more civil and choose another time and place?

Again, to me it seems these democrat senators (and democrats in general) have no class what so ever.

Zorro on November 29, 2006 at 6:11 PM

i like the penis joke allah.

don’t you change for anyone.

jummy on November 29, 2006 at 6:47 PM

i have to say, i still prefer him over allen.

jummy on November 29, 2006 at 6:52 PM

“i have to say, i still prefer him over allen.”

Allen is strongly in favor of anti-illegal alien measures including denying benefits.

Webb favors amnesty. In addition, Webb believes in “socio-economic fairness” which means you should get what other people have whether you work your tail off for it or not.

In short … Webb’s an entitlement kinda guy. Don’t moan when your paycheck starts shrinking to provide “fairness” for the boatload of freeloaders in this country, including millions of illegals.

darwin on November 29, 2006 at 7:08 PM

Webb was extremely unprofessional acting as a representative of my state. Simply a jerk. His kid volunteered for the military, Jimmy boys son now has to deal with his father making an ass out of himself nationally. What a jerk.

darwin on November 29, 2006 at 7:10 PM

a turn of phrase like “socio-economic fairness” does spook me a little.

jummy on November 29, 2006 at 7:44 PM

I’m wondering — can you recall a senator if enough people don’t like how that person performs (a la Gray Davis, even though he was a governor at the time)?

whtabtbill on November 29, 2006 at 8:05 PM

Okay, so Webb is giving the cold shoulder to the Commander in Chief, right? His SON’S BOSS. How stupid is that?! That’s like meeting the CEO of the company where your kid works and slapping the guy in the face. What’s likely to happen to your kid’s chances of advancing in the company, hmmmm? I don’t think Bush would be vindictive and make sure Webb’s son ends up in the most dangerous combat zones, but does Webb really want to take that chance? Really dumb move. I’m sure his son isn’t pleased.

aero on November 29, 2006 at 8:14 PM

Well Slublog, come out to Hawaii and see some of the disprespect of the troops. From where this wife and former service person sees it & from where my husband saw it while here for two weeks there was some disrespect. Of course the trolls deny it but here’s a little example for you-at The Bistro at Century Center in the booth behind us there were two guys complaining because some man at another table sent over a bottle of Dom Perignon to our table after asking my husband if he was in the military. They had a lot of nasty things to say which I won’t repeat here but suffice it to say there was no respect. Also at the airport there were people compaining because we got to accompany my husband to the gate & how they thought it was unfair their loved ones were unable to do the same thing. Then the loved one came over at the gate area and said that he hoped that they all got killed. NIce isn’t it? So as my 9th grade English teacher used to say “I didn’t just pull that out of my ass!”
Catie

Catie96706 on November 30, 2006 at 1:16 AM

a very nice summation of the event:

cranura on November 30, 2006 at 3:16 AM

Another rat joined the latrine and predictions are he’ll be dwelling in it happily, surrounded by much content company.

Entelechy on November 30, 2006 at 3:35 AM

“That’s between me and my boy, Mr. President,” Webb said coldly

It’s such a stupid thing to say anyway, because it certainly isn’t just between him and his grown son how his son is doing. Makes Webb sound like the kind of Big Man that gets in bar brawls when someone looks at his wife “wrong”.

He should have just said, “Go F yourself” as he obviously wanted to. At least that would have made sense.

MayBee on November 30, 2006 at 4:58 AM

Not only did Webb not run as an anti-war candidate but he ran as a proud member of Reagan’s Administration and he also quite loudly trumpets his own service in Vietnam and the fact that he believes in what we were trying to accomplish in that war.

For him to pose as Mr. Cindy Sheehan on his first trip (and probably his last) as a Senator to the White House was nothing but a PR stunt.
Guess you could say “Mission Accomplished,” eh Webb?
Even though his son is serving voluntarily in Iraq, he tried to make President Bush look boorish and uncaring about those who serve in “his” war.
Many thanks to those Virginians who voted for this *sshat.

Jen the Neocon on November 30, 2006 at 5:05 AM

Allah,

I’m late to this party but you do not need to lower the bar further on the Webb-upside-down-penis joke.

It’s one the of the funniest bits in a long time and it still has a lot of life in it.

If anyone here is offended, let one of us enlighten them with the context.

I, for one, will be offended if you stop making Webb-upside-down-penis jokes.

Rosetta on November 30, 2006 at 7:23 AM

honora, do you do anything except pick at bits and pieces of what others say, and misrepresent what people say as part of reciting your Leftie talking points?

On my good days.

’cause if you don’t, then you are a troll. Trolls do not have original thoughts, but only squat under bridges and toss their waste products up at passers-by.

Janos Hunyadi on November 29, 2006 at 5:19 PM

I will try to mend my ways and set you as an example of a generator of original thoughts, as so eloquently illustrated above.

honora on November 30, 2006 at 9:00 AM

whtabtbill on November 29, 2006 at 8:05 PM

Assume that would be state by state–some states e.g. allow the governor to fill a vacant Senate/House seat, others have a run off. So I would guess the same applies here, it’s up to individual states.

honora on November 30, 2006 at 9:05 AM

Bush should have turned immediately to an assistant and said, “Get the Pentagon on the phone. Tell them to immediately discharge LCPL Webb from military service and send him home. Tell him his daddy doesn’t want him to be in Iraq anymore.” Then he should have smiled pleasantly at Webb, shaken his hand and said, “Now it’s between you and your boy.”

aero on November 30, 2006 at 12:12 PM