Video: CSI: Fauxtography

posted at 7:37 pm on November 29, 2006 by Allahpundit

We’re a week late on this but better late than never. Thanks to our web czar, Mark Jaquith, for rescuing it from the memory hole.

No comment necessary except that these guys are a hell of a lot better at photoshop than Adnan Hajj ever was. Note the photographer’s allusion to fake but accurate towards the end, too. Whoever wrote this has been reading the blogs.

They should have invited Charles Johnson on for a cameo.

Comments

that’s my favorite show of all time – “Transformers” a G1 fan since 1984, & proud to be one.

Starblazer on November 29, 2006 at 7:41 PM

Well, it’s not to late for SOMEONE to Photoshop Charles’ face onto Alfred Hitchcock’s body and add it in…

MamaAJ on November 29, 2006 at 7:57 PM

“…yeah…I used a lie…to tell the truth….”

GREAT line. Probably have to pay Dan Rather royalties on it, but great line.

Too bad for everyone that it’s a case of art imitating life….

Puritan1648 on November 29, 2006 at 7:58 PM

Am I the only one who got the troop and war smear that took up about half of that clip? This guy saying there is no enemy over there, that these 18 year old “kids” are just full of adrenaline, tobacco, and caffeine waiting for the “action” of roadside bombs, and who would cheer on a fauxtography for photoshopping! That clip actually pissed me off, a lot.

RightWinged on November 29, 2006 at 8:01 PM

I rarely watch any of this franchise,but I caught the Miami one with Mr Pinch Face the other night and they took some shots at the military AND contractors in Iraq, last time I waste my life points on that crap.

bbz123 on November 29, 2006 at 8:07 PM

Man, if using Photoshop was ever that easy! Anyways, I’ve stopped watching CSI for sometime now due to the stories are so silly and unreal. However, with something like this, it’s sad they still try to spin it.

ViperPilot on November 29, 2006 at 8:08 PM

Yep, that pissed me off, too. Thankfully, most of my exposure to network television is limited to internet movie clips. I honestly can’t even rent and watch a movie anymore without getting pissed off by the little messages these “clever” writers and directors work into their films. It’s no wonder people are so ill informed, makes me sick actually.

I hate to sound like my head is coevered in Reynolds wrap, but it seems like a slow. subtle, but constant brainwashing going on. I can see the proof of that by people who constantly quote their favorite movie or TV characters, as if they were real people.

reaganaut on November 29, 2006 at 8:10 PM

Man, if using Photoshop was ever that easy!

Kind of why I stopped watching CSI. These days they seem to spend 40 minutes wondering whodunnit and in the last 5 minutes use some million dollar piece of tech to solve the case.

The earlier stories were also quite bizarre but were based upon actual events with a suprising frequency. I guess with 3 flavours of CSI going that they just can’t afford to spend as much time on the quality of things anymore..

Reaps on November 29, 2006 at 8:14 PM

reaganaut on November 29, 2006 at 8:10 PM

I hear that. I just got my DVDs from Columbia House in the mail and was excited to watch AI because I hadn’t seen it in a while, and despite the fact that it’s a great movie, the first 30 seonds piss me off because they show ocean waves and have to toss in some line about the Earth being flooded because of ……. “global warming”. I was like “wtf!? I don’t remember this part!”

Luckily, other than a flooded NYC, it didn’t actually play in to the plot at all with little obnoxious messages. But I guess I’d always missed that part somehow.

RightWinged on November 29, 2006 at 8:20 PM

I like all the CSIs (have this one on my Tivo but haven’t watched it yet), plus my sister has done tiny costume work on for CSI Vegas this season.

They’re fun escapist entertainment, but it does ruin things if you actually have technical knowledge about anything that comes up and thus know how inaccurate they are.

frankj on November 29, 2006 at 8:25 PM

You’re all probably aware of this. but the three new Star Wars movies are full of political messages. Especially Revenge of the Sith.

Scot on November 29, 2006 at 8:43 PM

“…yeah…I used a lie…to tell the truth….”

GREAT line. Probably have to pay Dan Rather royalties on it, but great line.

Borrowed from V for Vendetta, which borrowed it from some unnamed author.

And I too am finding it harder than ever to enjoy a show or movie without having my intelligence insulted by barely concealed PC/socialistic messages.

Freelancer on November 29, 2006 at 9:09 PM

Try hard enough, and you’ll find political messages in any film you want. It can actually be a fun game to see how you can ‘spin’ the movie towards one or the other political spectrum..

Reaps on November 29, 2006 at 9:18 PM

Was this the “Toe Tags” episode?

If so, it’s scheduled to repeat tomorrow night at 9pm.

The Ugly American on November 29, 2006 at 10:05 PM

Nevermind.

It was the episode titled “Happenstance”, which isn’t scheduled to reair anytime soon.

The Ugly American on November 29, 2006 at 10:24 PM

I want the Photoshop he has. Mine has not even one cool blip.

max on November 29, 2006 at 11:12 PM

Try hard enough, and you’ll find political messages in any film you want. It can actually be a fun game to see how you can ’spin’ the movie towards one or the other political spectrum..

Reaps on November 29, 2006 at 9:18 PM

That may or may not be true, but it’s irrelevant here. The “message” was pretty blatant.

RightWinged on November 29, 2006 at 11:47 PM

Oh, and incase anyone needs this spelled out (I’m talking to you Constantine and co.) they touched on the fauxtography scandal, yet chose to blame it on the troops, when in reality it’s liberal bias that fuels it.

RightWinged on November 29, 2006 at 11:48 PM

and was excited to watch AI

Wow, I’m sorry. That movie was 14 kinds of awful.

Like happy and creepy. Accidentally creepy, or shouldn’t have been happy or something.

I believe after first seeing it, my comment was:
So, that is what “The Muppets do ‘The Clockwork Orange’ on Ice” would be like… good to know.

After that comment (and my friend’s chuckle) he informed me it was actually originally a Kubrick idea (i.e. Clockwork Orange stylings) before Spielberg changed it into a “feel good” creepfest.

Happy ending, optimistic Spielberg blended with dark pessimistic Kubrick didn’t work for me.

Sorry for going off topic, but I’m not a CSI watcher. It tends to bore me wating for the deus ex machina ending.

gekkobear on November 30, 2006 at 12:58 AM

It is true there was a pot shot at the military, but put it in context. The character’s credibility is mud. He’s not supposed to be liked. He’s a murderer. It’s in character for him to dislike the military. He is presenting his motiviation. I did not take it as the show itself insulting the military.

hadsil on November 30, 2006 at 1:51 AM

Oh! The fights I’ve gotten into over the “hidden” political messages in Firefly !! Lordy lordy….

TBinSTL on November 30, 2006 at 3:27 AM

I used to like CSI, but they writers are running out of good ideas and getting a bit too political in a bad way.

If Marg Helgenberger wasn’t on I wouldn’t watch anymore.

Lawrence on November 30, 2006 at 10:14 AM

It’s not just CSI or a bit of a lean on the news. Can anyone remember ANY good news coming out of Iraq, ever? I mean, any battle we won, infrastructure we built, anything? I think there has been a near total news blackout of anything positive from Iraq. The US public must believe we are totally incompetent to have accomplished absolutely NOTHING good over there.

At the same time, everyone KNOWS the only reason we went there was because of Bush’s “lies”. The news has never reminded anyone of Sadam’s repeated violations of UN resolutions, repeated breaking the treaty from Gulf War One, violations of the no fly zone, missile and other attacks on our aircraft, not to mention real WMD’s.

And lefties say there’s no “bias”?

stonemeister on November 30, 2006 at 11:28 AM