Four-hundred-pound man busted for, er, posing as a Marine

posted at 6:07 pm on November 29, 2006 by Allahpundit

I don’t get it. How’d they figure it out?

Federal authorities say he was spotted earlier this month at another event, the Marine Corps Annual Birthday Ball, wearing several distinguished medals.

“He was wearing the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, four Bronze Stars and just about every medal in the book,” said Major William G. Dragan, who attended the event and told ABC News that he immediately became suspicious of Weilbacher…

Weilbacher’s girth also raised suspicion, Dragan said. “He is massively overweight, something like 400 pounds, and yet he claimed he had just left the Marines, which did not add up because he could never meet USMC physical standards,” Dragan said.

I think he wanted to be found out.

“Speaking of fake soldiers,” you say, “what’s up with our old pal Jesse Macbeth lately?” Wonderful things!

Breaking on Hot Air

Note from Hot Air management: This section is for comments from Hot Air's community of registered readers. Please don't assume that Hot Air management agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment just because we let it stand. A reminder: Anyone who fails to comply with our terms of use may lose their posting privilege.

semper fries. best. line. yet.
Allah, you ‘da man!

pullingmyhairout on November 29, 2006 at 6:09 PM

At least he wasn’t a protestor

Defector01 on November 29, 2006 at 6:12 PM

The Macbeth link seems to be broken…

flip on November 29, 2006 at 6:13 PM

They really need to get The Stolen Valor Act passed.

Great news about Jesse, too. That idiot showed up as someone elses poster child lately.

mesablue on November 29, 2006 at 6:19 PM

Worked for me. Rangel would say that’s the typical charges against any soldier – fake or real. What’s the difference, really? As long as they prove Rangel’s point.

lorien1973 on November 29, 2006 at 6:20 PM

Never mind – just overloaded I guess. The power of a HA link.

flip on November 29, 2006 at 6:21 PM

“He was wearing the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars, four Bronze Stars and just about every medal in the book,”

Release him into the custody of his local VFW, American Legion or Marine League post. Problem solved.

The size thing shouldn’t be a factor. There’re plenty of FAGs (Former Action Guys) who’ve put on a few pounds since leaving the service. It doesn’t say just how long “just left the Marines” is, but it isn’t hard to put on weight. 400 pounds would be quite a project, but it’s doable.

Either way, I’m all for making the wearing of unearned military badges, medals or qualification insignia, especially valor medals and combat insignia, one of the *LAST* social faux pas you’d be willing to commit. Imprison ‘em at Leavenworth. In this guy’s case, send him to Gitmo. That’ll sort his hash.

Puritan1648 on November 29, 2006 at 6:21 PM

i wonder what fourth degree assault consists of. and what’s the order he’s repeatedly violating? probably to appear in court.

what a douche.

jummy on November 29, 2006 at 6:40 PM

I say send him to Camp Lejeune.

n2sooners on November 29, 2006 at 6:43 PM

The MacBeth thing is great! So he was posing as “Capt. Jamil Hussein”…will he never learn?

(just kidding)

see-dubya on November 29, 2006 at 7:02 PM

Weilbacher reminds me of the Democrat Party pretending to be conservative for pretty much the same reasons discussed in the article.

.

GT on November 29, 2006 at 7:05 PM

Speaking as a Marine Officer’s wife (I know I know…but check my blog…I was AT the Commandant’s Ball featuring John McCain)on the 4th—-

THIS GUY NEEDS TO SPEND THE REST OF HIS LIFE MAKING LITTLE ROCKS OUT OF BIG ROCKS IN KANSAS WITH ALL HIS “MARINE” BUDDIES.

Ptoooey……….

seejanemom on November 29, 2006 at 7:07 PM

What would be funny is that Jesse is convicted on all counts and given the choice of Hard (and I ain’t kiddin’) prison time or joining the service.

HA, I do make myself laugh. Pity no one else does.

Ha. again.

Ok, I’m done now.

TheSev on November 29, 2006 at 7:24 PM

…And the comments on abc news site already have people portraying this guy as a ‘hero’

Super.

Reaps on November 29, 2006 at 7:33 PM

Super.

Reaps on November 29, 2006 at 7:33 PM

Yeah, I was as disgusted by some of the comments as I am by this worthless PX Warrior. I just love listening to liberals refer to awards and decorations as “trinkets” and “merit badges” while they pontificate about how it doesn’t matter what this shitbag did. Well, it matters to anybody who ever wore a uniform, or at least it should.

ReubenJCogburn on November 29, 2006 at 7:46 PM

I seem to remember an Admiral committing suicide when he was exposed for wearing unearned awards for valor.

DAT60A3 on November 29, 2006 at 7:53 PM

I think he wanted to be found out.

No. No more than any imposter wants to be found out.

EFG on November 29, 2006 at 7:54 PM

Damn, with the most ethical congress in history about to come into session, I can’t believe we still have people WANTING to pretend that they were soldiers. I mean, Upchuck Rangel says they’re all stupid. John Kerry says that they terrorize women and children and are also really stupid. The press can’t wait to publish terrorist propaganda and real soldiers disciplinary problems…why would you want to pretend to be someone that the MSM is trying to make everyone hate? Me, I’d pretend to be a democrat campaign worker or a Kennedy cousin..well, no, I think to be a Kennedy, i either have to rape or accidentally kill someone…or is is the other way around? Anyway, nothings wrong with pretending. I like to pretend my country isn’t on the verge of negotiating a belly crawl out of the middle east. I like to pretend that we haven’t just handed the house over to a party of politicians that make Keith Olbermann look smart. Yep, that’s me. Happy American. Yay.

austinnelly on November 29, 2006 at 9:25 PM

This guy is almost as maddening as Dems posing to be patriots.

Mojave Mark on November 30, 2006 at 12:11 AM

I’m out of the loop again ( in my case, the Loop is very long ): who is Jesse Macbeth?

Janos Hunyadi on November 30, 2006 at 12:47 AM

The ABC news site has the worst of the worst posting in the blog there. The worst scumbags..

retired on November 30, 2006 at 12:56 AM

JESSE ADAM MACBETH
Pierce County Corrections Custody Status: In Custody
Jail Name: MACBETH, JESSE
Last Booking Number: 2006319064

Ahhhh, good times, good times.

Janos, you don’t know about our good pal Jesse? Let me fill you in…

Jesse Adam Macbeth (born Jesse Adam Al-Zaid,[1] 1984) falsely claimed to be an Army Ranger and veteran of the Iraq War. He lied in alternative media interviews that he and his unit routinely committed war crimes in Iraq.[2][3] Macbeth began to attract significant attention after the release of a video containing his allegations;[4] transcripts of the video were made in English and Arabic.[5] According to the U.S. Army, there is no record of Macbeth being a Ranger,[6][7] or serving in a combat unit: he was discharged from the service after having been declared unfit or unsuitable for the Army, or both,[8] before he could complete basic training.[9]

After his release from the Army in 2004, Macbeth purported himself to be a veteran, telling war stories and garnering attention from mainstream,[10] alternative[11] and student media outlets. He joined Iraq Veterans Against the War in January of 2006,[12] and represented, or was scheduled to represent them publicly at various events throughout the country;[13][14][15] the organization has since said it does not endorse Macbeth or his accounts of military service.[12] Accounts in Macbeth’s name appear on Military.com and Myspace.com, and both were used to post claims about military service in Iraq.[16][17]

EFG on November 30, 2006 at 1:51 AM

Janos, Macbeth was one of several antiwar “soldiers” that the moonbats fell in love with as soon as they appeared and started trashing the Iraq War, only to have them debunked immediately by real military people. MacBeth appeared in an antiwar video late last May, and was a particularly obvious fake to anybody who knew anything about the Army. Naturally the moonbats swallowed his story hook, line, and sinker, because they’ll believe anything as long as it attacks America. He claimed to have been a Ranger who’d killed hundreds of people and committed war crimes, but as it turns out the guy washed out of Basic Training. His lies just got bigger the more he was challenged on them, and he eventually posted a doctored form DD-214 (his discharge form) in an effort to back up his story. Since that’s a federal offense, hopefully he’ll get what’s coming to him. Here’s the original Hot Air story about him.

ReubenJCogburn on November 30, 2006 at 1:59 AM

Heh. Got scooped by EFG while I was typing.

ReubenJCogburn on November 30, 2006 at 2:07 AM

Interesting link with that Jesse story. I had almost forgotten about that fool. I can’t believe listening to that clown that anyone, I mean even the leftwing loons would buy into his story. I guess they wanted it to be true so ergo it was.
As for the phony Marine Officer-I can’t understand why someone would do that. I guess he got the medals at a surplus store or on the internet. I hope he also gets the book thrown at him. I would like to see the Marines though get a hold of this guy in lieu of jail time. The Marines I know wouldn’t hold anything back.

Catie96706 on November 30, 2006 at 2:14 AM

Yeah, okay, thanks, I remember that ass-clown, but his name(s) slipped away into the Fog of Increasing Senility.

What can I say? You get old, you forget things, you forget what you forgot, you forgot what…..where’s my pudding?

Janos Hunyadi on November 30, 2006 at 2:15 AM

Janos, if you don’t eat your meat, you can’t have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?

Catie96706 on November 30, 2006 at 2:16 AM

….and we are all Bricks in the Wall…..

Janos Hunyadi on November 30, 2006 at 2:19 AM

In my county, we had a similar imposter, who carried out his fraud for decades before he was found out.

Werner “Jack” Genot is a broken man, far from his longtime community standing as a decorated Marine Corps combat veteran.

Few people in town are unaware of his military record. The 71-year-old Marengo alderman fought with the 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, during the Corps’ heroic stand at the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War, and he spent 10 months and 10 days as a prisoner of war before escaping during a joint raid by U.S. and South Korean forces.

What most everyone does not know, however, is that every bit of the tale is false.

The Chosin action is but a small part of the tale. Genot proudly has told his buddies that he received a battlefield commission from famous Marine Gen. Lewis “Chesty” Puller. Genot, as his tale goes, went on to serve as a translator and an interrogator in Vietnam. After joining the Marine Reserve, he retired in 1972 as a captain. He received a Bronze Star, a Silver Star and two Purple Hearts, which he proudly wore on his Marine Corps League uniform and on parade. With this fictitious background, Genot became the countywide face of Toys for Tots, a Marine Corps Reserve program he started locally to get Christmas presents to needy children, 21 years ago. Northwest Herald, 11/20/2005

He even had the balls to apply for a “purple heart” license plate for his pickup truck using a FAKE DD214 as proof of entitlement.

And he LED the local USMCR “Toys for Tots” campaign….

Call me mean and petty, but I have ZERO sympathy for these people.

georgej on November 30, 2006 at 5:03 AM

Lets just reinstate the draft -you wear medals you haven’t earned, you’re in the military until you do earn them. That should teach them what those medals really mean.

I know… not very practical. Not worth putting other memebers of the military at risk just to teach them a lesson.

taznar on November 30, 2006 at 9:36 AM