Confirmed: Lindsay Lohan’s barely literate

posted at 12:13 am on November 29, 2006 by Allahpundit

It’s like when someone goes missing, isn’t seen for years, and ends presumed dead, and then one day the body turns up. Everyone pretty much knows what the situation is, but no one’s willing to give up hope until there’s some hard evidence.

Well, the body’s turned up.

I must say, it’s nice to have closure.

The 20-year-old actress, who scored a part in Altman’s last movie, A Prairie Home Companion, made the interesting decision to go public with a condolence letter she wrote to the Altman family in the wake of his death from cancer last week. The passion was certainly there – she, like many dozens of actors before her, clearly adored the experience of working in Altman’s characteristic freeform style – but the letter was also spectacular in its incoherence and disregard of basic grammar and spelling.

“I am lucky enough to of been able to work with Robert Altman amongst the other greats on a film that I can genuinely say created a turning point in my career,” she began, less than certainly. “He was the closest thing to my father and grandfather that I really do believe I’ve had in several years… He left us with a legend that all of us have the ability to do.” A little lower down, she fell into improv philosophy, apparently riffing on the notion that life is too short to waste: “Make a searching and fearless moral inventory of yourselves’ (12st book) – everytime there’s a triumph in the world a million souls hafta be trampled on. – altman Its true. But treasure each triumph as they come.” And she signed off, “Be adequite. Lindsay Lohan.”

That just so happens to be my daily affirmation. Same spelling, too. I think I managed it today, barely.

Full text of Lindsay’s letter right here. Have an adequite night, my friends.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

WOW I don’t know what to say to that! Did she have any formal education? She needs to hire a full time writer. It would save her the ridicule.

umbergbr on November 29, 2006 at 1:27 PM

But you should see her doing a naked crab walk…

GregH on November 29, 2006 at 12:27 AM

Link please…

CliffHanger on November 29, 2006 at 1:38 PM

Also, I read scores of words that are not spelled correctly (nor grammatically correct) in the comments on this blog.

This is a blog, not a formal condolence letter. there’s a huge difference between the two. The letter should have been edited and proofread before being published.

pullingmyhairout on November 29, 2006 at 1:39 PM

I never would have thought that Lindsay’s incompetence would bring about so many comments.

Rick on November 29, 2006 at 2:00 PM

Then I was a TA and I got to read a lot of freshman papers…ugh. The first two or three of the semester were covered in my red ink highlighting the general butchery of grammar.

I was a TA too, a couple of years ago, and I can say with absolute certainty that grading hundreds of exams removed forever my desire to become a professor. The professors where I went to school basically started ignoring grammar problems because they were so prevalent. After all, you can’t have only two or three people out of a class of sixty passing. The university can’t turn a profit from a handful of students. So it’s ignorance in, ignorance out. Sad but true.

jaleach on November 29, 2006 at 2:12 PM

She is probably going to be another Hollywood moonbat who comes out ranting about how “dumb” Bush is.

Hilts on November 29, 2006 at 2:50 PM

Hilts on November 29, 2006 at 2:50 PM

Yeah. Don’t you just hate people who stereotype…..

honora on November 29, 2006 at 2:59 PM

And what the heck is the (12st book) ?
WriterMom on November 29, 2006 at 11:27 AM

That would be A 12TH STEP BOOK.

Sadly tho, most kids under 25 have little ability to read or write beyond basic functioning levels. The ‘no kid left behind’ act has teachers pushing kids to the next grade REGARDLESS of their ability or their test scores.
Most 10th graders would find NOTHING wrong with what Lohan wrote. Nothing.
I went to my sons high school recently, concerned about a C- , and they were just glad that he didn’t have two f’s. I was immensely pissed, but that is their criteria for possible trouble. A new millennium litmus test for students is how many F’s they have, not if they have a C or lower as it used to be, but F’s. But no matter what they continue to the next grade. No Child Left Behind, the grant money and budgets rely upon this, so every kid graduates.
Disgusting / Disturbing, but whose fault is it? The parent(s).

shooter on November 29, 2006 at 4:02 PM

ROFL. I thought she mangled 12th to become 12st.

WriterMom on November 29, 2006 at 4:09 PM

Twelvethehthhst.

WriterMom on November 29, 2006 at 4:09 PM

or 12st-ep book.

I even screwed it up, I meant 12 step book.

Anyone know how long she’s been acting? Did she grow up in a movie lot? Schooled in between productions?

shooter on November 29, 2006 at 4:13 PM

Eye oneder if eye culd git uh job az Linzee Lowhans spech righter.

Duz enewun thenk eye can git such uh jub weeth Linzee?

eye will charg ohnlee wun hundrid dullers pur hower.

Duz that sownd faar?

eye luuk fourwurd tu reeding yur cummintz.

William

William2006 on November 29, 2006 at 4:27 PM

some of whome could…highlighting the general butchery of grammar.

JollyRoger on November 29, 2006 at 10:27 AM

This is the problem with the internet, one mistake and it could blow your whole premic premis idea.

right2bright on November 29, 2006 at 4:35 PM

If you owned a clothing store, all you want to know is if she can spell her name on the credit slip.

right2bright on November 29, 2006 at 4:45 PM

In my job I get e-mails from my superiors that approximate the grammar and coherence of Lyndsay’s letter. Many of these people have to have a college degree to hold their job. In fact I occasionaly get e-mail from an attorney that is remarkably similar to LL’s gibberish above.

It’s a pretty hard hit to your ego when you realize that you have been beat in the game of life by a pack of retards whose only skill is being past masters at kissing ass.

Big E on November 29, 2006 at 5:51 PM

yea, but she’s got a hot rack balls.

jummy on November 29, 2006 at 6:12 PM

that last comment was 100% more clever than it turned out, but for an html error.

jummy on November 29, 2006 at 6:13 PM

This is not an isolated case. She is a classic example of the “Dumbing down of America”. Don’t believe it? Go to Yahoo Answers and read. This is what the U.S. Public School system is producing.

Helloyawl on November 29, 2006 at 7:41 PM

Writing while on Ambien. It’s the only logical choice.

hotdax on November 29, 2006 at 8:38 PM

I checked this post because I wanted a break from the real world problems. robblefarian came close to being sympathetic-how many here on Hot Air are saved from looking like idiots thanks to spell-check?
Someone asked how long she’d been acting. I haven’t seen her recent movies, but she was charming as a kid in the remake of “The Parent Trap”. She has the celebrity problems, which hopefully she will outgrow. Someone she worked with died, so she sent a letter. That was a nice gesture. Back to the real world for me.

Doug on November 30, 2006 at 1:53 AM

Where is are the Brooklyn Kid and fogw when you really need them?

Heh, how the Brits tried implicitly or explicitly to blame this on the dumb Americans and our schools…

honora, sorry to deflate your ‘special’ status. The unholy trinity is complete, as of Nov. 27, 2006. Click on the links within this link.

I’m ashamed that I knew this but I heard it on the car radio, coming home from a serious business trip to Hollywood.

Forget the misspelling. Why would you suggest “be adequate” to anyone, ever, let alone a grieving family? I’m so out of it.

honora on November 29, 2006 at 11:25 AM

Heh! You are :) Or she is…or the poor thing was thinking “what’s the adequate thing to end one of these with?” and got stuck on ‘adequite’.

And now we know the rest of the story about someone who writes a bit worse than Barbra Streisand, whom I heard once attempting to make a ‘political’ statement. It was extremely painful. She might sing well, if you like it, but she can’t speak. Why do we pay these people so much? And give them this much attention? We are to blame.

Entelechy on November 30, 2006 at 1:57 AM

Big E on November 29, 2006 at 5:51 PM

Or maybe they are talented? No, that couldn’t be it. Everyone else is wrong, and you are right. That’s makes so much more sense.

honora on November 30, 2006 at 9:16 AM