Breaking: Frist not running for president

posted at 11:05 am on November 29, 2006 by Allahpundit

Just making it official. He’s pulling 3% in the latest polls, he presided over a Senate that pissed off just enough Republicans to lose the majority, and he infamously advised making a deal with the Taliban — before explaining that he meant the moderate Taliban.

Doesn’t even warrant the red font in the headline.

Update: America’s (semi-)professional gamblers rejoice: “I know a lot of poker players that were going to make his life miserable on the trail for his insistence on the dumb inclusion of an anti-online gambling provision in a port security bill. To me, that’s Frist’s legacy.”

Update: DU breaks the news: “Cat Killer Bill Frist not to run for President in 2008.”

Update: StoutRepublican notes below that this means more votes for Romney. Yeah — 3% more. Which brings his national total up to, er, about 3%.

Actually, he’s the frontrunner. It’s just that nobody knows it yet.

Comments

So, McCain’s still in? Crap.

JasonG on November 29, 2006 at 11:07 AM

Seems like a nice guy, but proved a horrible senate leader that was no match for Reid and the gang of 14. Glad for his sake that he doesnt’ waste the time and energy.

cms on November 29, 2006 at 11:09 AM

So long, Frist baby. Hope you don’t still have your medical license because if you doctor as well as you lead a senate, I wouldn’t want to be your patient.

Enoxo on November 29, 2006 at 11:10 AM

What a shame…!!! (sarcasm).

msflea on November 29, 2006 at 11:10 AM

A year and a half ago he was on the local Nashville news stating that he was definitely NOT running for president. He made this comment many times, actually (at least in Tennessee).

Thank God he stuck to his promise. Dr. Frist spoke at my wife’s college graduation ceremony back in 1999. He spoke for over an hour…about himself. People were leaving in droves.

robblefarian on November 29, 2006 at 11:11 AM

See? Losing the Senate wasn’t all bad. This is like a condolence prize.

Slublog on November 29, 2006 at 11:11 AM

Dang. Meant consolation prize.

Slublog on November 29, 2006 at 11:12 AM

You know, thinking on it, I think there are only two people I’d support for President in 2008…

Michael Steele and Madam Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Unfortunately, neither are going to be running as it stands now.

Enoxo on November 29, 2006 at 11:15 AM

Thank God.

CP on November 29, 2006 at 11:15 AM

Adiots Muchachos. Hmm. Can you imagine having a former Senate Majority leader as your doctor?

amerpundit on November 29, 2006 at 11:16 AM

…well…a good news day….

Another faux-aristocrat’s ambitions foiled. Who’s next?

Puritan1648 on November 29, 2006 at 11:16 AM

After demonstrating such strong leadership in the Senate, never getting rolled by the Democrats and standing up for conservative principles, you mean he’s not running?

Do I need a sarc tag?

JammieWearingFool on November 29, 2006 at 11:24 AM

Someone email the news to George Pataki.

JammieWearingFool on November 29, 2006 at 11:25 AM

That’s more votes for Romney!!

StoutRepublican on November 29, 2006 at 11:26 AM

That’s more votes for Romney!!

Ah, hell, I didn’t think of that. The Corner is hard enough to read already. Now Lopez is just going to go crazy with her Mitt obsession.

Slublog on November 29, 2006 at 11:27 AM

Good. Frist makes me cringe.

BirdEye on November 29, 2006 at 11:30 AM

Now if he would just take a few more with him, things would be actually looking up.

Cary on November 29, 2006 at 11:32 AM

Frist who?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 29, 2006 at 11:32 AM

Hey. Poker playing is not gambling, it’s a game of skill. :-)

Karol on November 29, 2006 at 11:32 AM

Romney in a cake walk :) if we could talk him into taking Guiliani for his VP I’d like it…

Lord Nazh on November 29, 2006 at 11:33 AM

Someone email the news to George Pataki.

HA! Good one. Yeah, he’s another one that shouldn’t bother. Remember his speech at the 2004 Convention? No? Neither does anybody else. I think I fell asleep. Giuliani’s not my candidate, but politically, he overshadows Pataki by a mile.

CP on November 29, 2006 at 11:41 AM

StoutRepublican notes below that this means more votes for Romney.

That is if Romney can get over the so called “Mormon” hump.

As a former Mormon, I don’t understand the big deal.

I’m reserving judgment until I hear about his stance on the issues. It would take effort to care less about what they do on Sunday.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 29, 2006 at 11:44 AM

Feel the power of the Party Poker Republicans!

Allah, great job finding a photo of Frist looking constipated.

Bill C on November 29, 2006 at 11:48 AM

If he can’t lead the Senate, how can he lead the country?

jman on November 29, 2006 at 11:49 AM

Well give the man his due, he is a real leader in the diagnosis via video movement.

honora on November 29, 2006 at 12:04 PM

I’m more disappointed Jon Carry might not run vs. Frist bowing out.

infidel on November 29, 2006 at 12:07 PM

Slu – methinks you nailed it the first time as well.

steveegg on November 29, 2006 at 12:08 PM

I saw on the news some poll or other that showed that about 35% of voters would not vote for a Mormon. Can that possibly be right? I don’t remember either Mo Udall or G Romney having any pushback on their religion. Yikes!

honora on November 29, 2006 at 12:14 PM

Romney already has my vote.

Zetterson on November 29, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Romney already has my vote.

I would have to ask, “boxers, briefs, or temple garment?” first.

Valiant on November 29, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Dang. Meant consolation prize.

Heh, I liked “condolence prize”, thought it appropriate as well.

mesablue on November 29, 2006 at 1:00 PM

I would have to ask, “boxers, briefs, or temple garment?” first.

Valiant on November 29, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Well it’s hard to dislike a religion with its own special underpants. Stupid Catholicism, all we got were chapel veils….

honora on November 29, 2006 at 1:01 PM

Amen to all the above.
Frist was weak and boring…just the thought of him giving those speeches with that twang was enough to put me off the man 4ever.
On to Rudy, Condi and Romney.

Jen the Neocon on November 29, 2006 at 1:21 PM

Stupid Catholicism, all we got were chapel veils….
honora on November 29, 2006 at 1:01 PM

Don’t forget the stylish scapular!

Valiant on November 29, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Don’t forget the stylish scapular!

Valiant on November 29, 2006 at 1:43 PM

LOL!!! Do they still make those??

honora on November 29, 2006 at 1:48 PM

Some Bill Frist haiku:

Bye-bye, Doctor Bill
Judges and the Taliban
He laid down for both

Kid from Brooklyn on November 29, 2006 at 3:25 PM

Not surprised. Way too much baggage.

Frist would probably do a good job, but like all GOPers he has to get past the last couple years of Republican political nonsense. And I’m not just saying this, I’m a Republican. In fact, I can’t think of one Republican in the Senate or House that has a ghost of a chance in 2008.

I predict we’ll see another Governor get the GOP nod in 2008. But even governors are looking not so good right now.

Lawrence on November 29, 2006 at 4:23 PM

Yeah, Bill, and don’t let the door hit you in the a** on the way out.

Dave R. on November 29, 2006 at 4:44 PM

Bill who?

Wade on November 29, 2006 at 4:56 PM

give the guy a break: a good surgeon, with the accompanying big ego; as a politician, he started out good and….declined. There are worse people still in the running

Janos Hunyadi on November 29, 2006 at 5:15 PM

Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt Newt!!!!!!

MirCat on November 29, 2006 at 6:43 PM

Half as aristocratic as John Kerry and possesses at least 10 times more foundation.

However, should have stayed in the family business for the good of the world patients, science and his political party.

What a difference one birthday party can make!

Entelechy on November 30, 2006 at 2:41 AM