Video: Carter blames Israel for failure of roadmap, denies he’s anti-Israel; Update: Carter says Shalit kidnapping “probably” a mistake

posted at 11:51 am on November 28, 2006 by Allahpundit

As usual when the sage of Plains turns up on TV, it’s an embarrassment of outraged riches. Here you’ll find him bestowing the Carter seal of approval to James Baker and the “peace at any price” gang, lamenting that we haven’t made more of an effort to talk to those nice people who held Americans hostage for more than a year of his presidency, and deriding the fence built by Israel to keep out suicide bombers as an “imprisonment wall.” The punchline there? Earlier in the program he noted that Hamas hasn’t launched a suicide attack on Israel in almost two years.

The best part comes towards the end, though, where he mocks Alan Dershowitz as the only person who thinks he’s biased against, and then almost in the same breath claims that the Palestinians have fully embraced the terms of the roadmap while Israel has (almost) fully rejected them. To refresh your memory, here’s Phase I:

At the outset of Phase I:

* Palestinian leadership issues unequivocal statement reiterating Israel’s right to exist in peace and security and calling for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire to end armed activity and all acts of violence against Israelis anywhere. All official Palestinian institutions end incitement against Israel.

* Israeli leadership issues unequivocal statement affirming its commitment to the two-state vision of an independent, viable, sovereign Palestinian state living in peace and security alongside Israel, as expressed by President Bush, and calling for an immediate end to violence against Palestinians everywhere. All official Israeli institutions end incitement against Palestinians.

Flashback to two weeks ago: “Hamas: New government won’t recognize Israel.” As for incitement, go here, select “Palestinian Authority TV” from the list of stations and see for yourself.

The final segment adds a bit of mystery to all that’s come before. A caller wanted to know whether Jimmeh supports a one-state solution to the crisis, i.e., whether Israel should simply merge with the Palestinian territories and create a single nation of Jews and Arabs living side by side in minority. Carter says no, because then the Arabs would outnumber Jews. I don’t get it, though; what would be wrong with that?

Maybe Jimmy’s not as anti-Israel as we thought.

Here’s the full transcript. And here’s Dershowitz’s post at HuffPo attacking Carter’s new book.

I think if the United States won’t take that role on, then maybe the entire group of the so-called International Quartet, the United States, Russia, the United Nations, and the United — and the European Union — those four have written a road map which President Bush has endorsed enthusiastically. And if they can implement their terms — by the way, on which the Palestinians have accepted 100 percent and the Israelis have rejected almost entirely — if the road map terms are accepted, then we can have peace in the Middle East.

Update: Spruiell has the latest. Mmmmm, that’s good screencap!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for him.

I not only voted for him, I campaigned for him.

I will admit to being an idiot teenager, I am not paying reparations.

B Moe on November 28, 2006 at 5:06 PM

B Moe : welcome to the fold, sugar.

seejanemom on November 28, 2006 at 5:10 PM

Isn’t there a hammer cleat with his head’s name on it over there at Habitat?

seejanemom on November 28, 2006 at 5:12 PM

I think it’s a hammer and a sickle.

Rick on November 28, 2006 at 5:18 PM

I don’t know about that, Puritan. I think the lefties want global taxation (with the former United States being the top bracket).

Rick on November 28, 2006 at 4:23 PM

Yes, Rick, that is exactly what I was getting at.

By the way, everybody take a peak at Little Green Footballs and read their thread on this topic. It’s super.

RushBaby on November 28, 2006 at 5:33 PM

He is kind of like a little sister that wants to be noticed.

right2bright on November 28, 2006 at 4:24 PM

Sigh, It’s always Marcia, Marcia, Marcia…

allie on November 28, 2006 at 5:41 PM

I wish someone would quit hiding Uncle Dhimmi’s meds. You know how he gets when he hasn’t taken his pills.

jaleach on November 28, 2006 at 5:42 PM

Anyone else notice him laughing when talking about the hostages?

- The Cat

MirCat on November 28, 2006 at 5:58 PM

Luckily for us, as the liberals feel more and more empowered by the election results and confident of their majority they will communicate their long whispered opinions and say what’s on their minds. Luckily I say because once the average American realizes they’ve elected communists to power that average American will run to the polls next time with a real sense of purpose. To save their country.

Griz on November 28, 2006 at 6:00 PM

It’s already starting. The race issues are already popping up again (bad whitey, bad!), and I suspect the sudden decision to label what’s going on in Iraq a “civil war” has a lot to do with a media emboldened by the elections. We’re in for a long two years.

jaleach on November 28, 2006 at 6:03 PM

GregH on November 28, 2006 at 12:09 PM

Last I assessed, we were all world citizens of Earth. Some of us are U.S. citizens, still and first. For the survival of the world, I hope that never changes.

Aside from a few (whom I’m glad not to know) hardly anyone is for war.

Entelechy on November 28, 2006 at 7:07 PM

Just HOW STUPID and antisemitic, and jihad-enabling and hard-on-ish for terror can one person be?

This idiot is SUCH A DISGRACE to your fine country. He has no shame. A pox on him! A Zionist Jewish Israeli Fatwa Upon Him! Long may he suffer!

WriterMom on November 28, 2006 at 11:58 AM

That’s abrasive. Can I use it to scrub my shower? Honestly, I share your disdain for him. This man had one of the most miserable presidency’s on record. Horrific economic woe and an humiliating foreign policy. Why anyone listens to him or provides him a forum to speak in is beyond understanding. He is, literally, on the wrong side of everything.

thedecider on November 28, 2006 at 7:12 PM

Peanut boy

vcferlita on November 28, 2006 at 7:15 PM

Oh Aye, I too believed at one time that Mr. Carter was a good (though somewhat vapid) man – and a lousy president.

I humbly admit my error. It is not always easy to find the truth, and in this instance it has taken me 25+ years to understand that, though the vapidity is there (in a turgid sort of manner), the late general Arnold (of revolutionary war fame) had a demonstrably better character and did less damage to American interests at home and abroad.

Natrium on November 28, 2006 at 8:01 PM

Carter’s certainly getting the invites — Lehrer News Hour gave him a soapbox tonight. Leading the discussion was this 21-book author’s use of “Apartheid” in the title of his newest book. Reason: not that it had much meaning whatsoever, but was to provoke discussion.

Opportunities galore! I predict “Ethnic-cleansing” on the cover of this future 22-book author.

Dusty on November 28, 2006 at 8:17 PM

Update: Carter says Shalit kidnapping “probably” a mistake

“Carter says Nazi Holocaust “probably” a mistake…”
“Carter says Japanese’ Bataan Death March “probably” a mistake…”
“Carter says Son of Sam killings “probably a mistake…”

Boy, you can’t pull one over on him!

rmgraha on November 28, 2006 at 8:18 PM

All the way with the NRA! Doesn’t Jimmy Carter have a brother Clarence. “Strokin to the East strokin to the West strokin to the one I like best I be strokin.”

sonnyspats1 on November 28, 2006 at 8:22 PM

With that, the misery index just went up.

Kini on November 28, 2006 at 9:43 PM

CUCKOO, CUCKOO, CUCKOO….

bloggless on November 28, 2006 at 9:57 PM

Many of these comments are so funny! This is a good thing to laugh when we speak of Carter – what else can you do?

One of my favorites is :

WriterMom on November 28, 2006 at 11:58 AM

thedecider on November 28, 2006 at 7:12 PM

I have another one to add to the list:
May the fleas of a thousand camels fall into his armpits.

omegaram on November 28, 2006 at 10:27 PM

*sigh*

Go build some pre-fab houses, you old coot.

JG2K6 on November 29, 2006 at 12:48 AM

This from the “President” whose miserable foreign policy brought the world the post-Shah version of Iran, and whose scholarly brother made sure to tell the press that “Theah’s a helluva lot moah A-rabs then theah is Jews! Haw, haw!” I’m still trying to forget how his mishandling of the economy almost buried my hometown of Detroit.

SpartRan on November 29, 2006 at 2:25 AM

Remember, this man’s wife was friends with John Wayne Gacy.

Black Adam on November 29, 2006 at 3:41 AM

Definition of “Death Wish”: 80% of American Jews voted for Jimmy Carter and his successors.

MaiDee on November 29, 2006 at 6:46 AM

MaiDee on November 29, 2006 at 6:46 AM

Genius. Pure genius.

Griz on November 29, 2006 at 7:47 AM

The worst President in my lifetime has become the voice of the Dem Party…gotta love that!!

One thing you don’t see…nobody challenges him…carterdumn just yaps…yaps…yaps…

Can you find anyone that voted for carterdumn…???…what a moron…

You Dems got ringledumn…kerrydumn…murthadumn…kennedydumn…pelosidumn…shumperdumn…the list goes on and on…

areseaoh on November 29, 2006 at 10:53 AM

GregH,

Good to hear that you haven’t self-immolated; we haven’t had to correct you in some time.

Let’s start with grammar. This mess –

I would proffer that the primary merit of his “rhetoric” rests in his ability to view the situation from a non-zionist stance. To see each person with inherrently the same value, regardless of their citizenship. His appeal that the US deal with the situation from a standpoint of universality, not from one of a favored status.

GregH on November 28, 2006 at 1:40 PM

– is largely illiterate, little more than a series of random thoughts (and I use that word in the loosest sense) which might have been expressed in a single, complex sentence. The misspellings and capitalization errors only add to a post that Lindsay Lohan might have constructed for you. Having never seen you two post here at HotAir at the same time, I wonder if you are not a sock puppet for the silicone wonder?

The content of this mangled post is, somehow, even more pathetic. “The primary merit of [Carter's] rhetoric” is oxymoronic. Carter’s rhetoric has no merit. (OK; that was just an opinion. Sorry.) Zionist or “non-zionist” (sic) is not the issue in discussions of the State of Israel defending her citizens, nor is “see[ing] each person with inherrently (sic) the same value, regardless of their citizenship”.

If you know nothing of the political structure of Israel, then don’t comment on it, as your comments are pointless. If the Palestinian terrorists were lobbing rockets into Philadelphia, I would like to think they we would have made Gaza into a mall parking lot or football stadium by now. The restraint of the Israelis is both legendary and maddening. People blow themselves up to murder Jews; this is a problem to be reckoned with in Isreali government far beyond your Berkeley platitudes about “inherrent value”.

That Carter doesn’t understand this only makes him a perfect liberal. It does not make him smart or relevant.

Jaibones on November 29, 2006 at 11:09 AM

(I would like to think that)

Jaibones on November 29, 2006 at 11:12 AM

“I used to believe for a long time that Mr. Carter was the worst President but a good man. In the last few years, based on his speeches, and where they’re held from, I changed my mind, probably never to redeem him. Preachy and conceited on top of it all.”

Entelechy on November 28, 2006 at 7:07 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. I even voted for him the first time. Last time I voted for a Democrat for president. Carter is now little more than a pimple on the arse of history and the more he talks the bigger that blemish becomes.

sdd on November 29, 2006 at 11:21 AM

Carter is a world citizen, concerned more about peace for all than he is about pushing an American agenda. Instead of instinctively hissing and throwing stones, why not take a moment to think about what he is saying, and weigh the merits of his points.

BWAHAHAHHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
Jimmy Carter, a world citizen…. whirled is right, brains in a blender whirled. Concerned about peace? Well, Carter did give us Ronald Reagan, a president who actually did contribute to peace on this planet. Thank God for that.

shermacman on November 29, 2006 at 11:25 AM

Back in ’79 I was in the Navy. When Iran fell and the hostages were taken we all knew that that was an act of war. We were certain that even Carter would have to take military action – it was an act of war. It was an act of war. Should I repeat that?

If Carter were an enemy of America what would he have done differently in his presidency and after? The man has done nothing for America. Some people call him a “world citizen.” What a crock.

Kevin R on November 29, 2006 at 11:33 AM

…a thought: if he’s a citizen of the world, can we get him deported?

Puritan1648 on November 29, 2006 at 12:05 PM

a thought: if he’s a citizen of the world, can we get him deported?

Puritan1648 on November 29, 2006 at 12:05 PM

I think he’s considered an illegal immigrant by the world – so yes (well, on second thought, Cuba and N. Korea might take him).

Rick on November 29, 2006 at 12:21 PM

Rick,
Can’t do, since both Cuba and N. Korea are technically part of the world (although they are in a world of their own).

Might try the moon, however. Just send some trees with him to generate oxygen. No need to worry about the trees failing due to the lack of carbon dioxide…

Natrium on November 29, 2006 at 1:29 PM

Just in case some people have never gotten the full story of Jimmy Carter and the Killer Rabbit, here it is:

Dudley Smith on November 29, 2006 at 3:51 PM

Let me try again

Dudley Smith on November 29, 2006 at 3:51 PM

maybe both carter and that kook in iran can get a room together, which one will be the bitch?

retired on November 29, 2006 at 3:58 PM

which one will be the bitch?

retired on November 29, 2006 at 3:58 PM

That’s easy, Carter.

Rick on November 29, 2006 at 4:34 PM

Worst president in your lifetime? I think he was the worst president in the history of this country.

Dave R. on November 29, 2006 at 4:42 PM

did you forget about Clinton?

VTWaldrup on November 29, 2006 at 4:57 PM

What’s remarkable is that Clinton blamed Arafat and the Palestinians for the failure of Clinton’s peace initiative – and, unlike this armchair ex-President, he was there to witness it all, folks. So who you gonna believe?

SpartRan on December 1, 2006 at 10:10 PM