Breaking: Alcee Hastings to drop chairmanship bid? Update: “Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet”

posted at 3:17 pm on November 28, 2006 by Allahpundit

That’s the word at Congressional Quarterly but it’s behind a firewall so you’ll have to make do with the tidbits at TPM Muckraker.

Hard to tell from what’s there whether this was voluntary in the literal sense or in the Charlie Rangel sense of the word.

I’ll look around for update. Standby.

Update: Sounds like it’s “voluntary” in the Rangel sense and Pelosi’s staff is trying to help him save face.

House Speaker-designate Nancy Pelosi will meet Tuesday with Florida Rep. Alcee Hastings, and those with knowledge of Pelosi’s thinking told FOX News that Hastings will be told he is not going to be the next chairman of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

Though no formal decisions have been announced and Pelosi aides say the situation remains fluid, they suggest that the meeting at Pelosi’s Capitol Hill office was requested by Hastings so he could bow out of the race before Pelosi denies him the job…

Curious that Fox ended up with the scoop here.

Update: The meeting’s over and, allegedly, the axe has fallen: “Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Fla., will not be the next chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, a Democratic aide confirmed Tuesday as Hastings left a private meeting with Speaker-designate Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.”

Update: Fox News just broke in to say that Hastings has confirmed he won’t lead the committee.

Update: The Congressional Black Caucus will grumble about this but not loudly or for too long. For one thing, there are already three black Democrats set to assume committee chairmanships. For another thing, Silvestre Reyes, a Latino, is the leading candidate to chair the Intel Committee now. And then there’s this:

[John] Conyers played a key role — perhaps the key role — in the House impeachment. Because Hastings was black, and because Conyers, a founding member of the Congressional Black Caucus, had a great interest in issues of race and justice — at one point in the committee hearing, Conyers explained that he joined the Judiciary Committee “because of my concern for the impact of racism on the judicial system” — many lawmakers looked to Conyers’s opinion as the final word on whether the charges against Hastings were valid. “Conyers was the decider,” says Terence Anderson, the University of Miami law professor who has defended Hastings for decades. “If Conyers had said no, I think the House would not have proceeded.”

Update: Between this and his letter blaming the “misinformed fools” of the conservative punditocracy for his troubles, I’m starting to wonder if Pelosi bagged him simply for being too much of a petulant jackass:

“I have been informed by the speaker-elect that I will not serve as the chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence in the 110th Congress,” he said. “I am obviously disappointed with this decision.” Hastings won election to Congress in 1992, after having been impeached and removed from office as a federal judge. He concluded his statement by saying, “Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.”

Comments

…oooooo….tasty….

Let’s start a pool: will Rep. Hastings, a staffer, or some activist somewhere play the race card on this one? Will the word “lynching” be mentioned?

…or will he be seen as an unsuitable candidate for the job, his ethnic background being of no more import than it was during his impeachment?

When a black man can be a villain regardless of his race, as opposed to an icon, we’ll have made real progress. Everybody wants the black man to succeed…acknowledging that one or two sometimes fail is proof of the excellence of those who don’t.

Puritan1648 on November 28, 2006 at 3:22 PM

Pelosi still has to appease the Black Caucus. If she doesn’t make Hastings the chair, how does she do that?

Steve L. on November 28, 2006 at 3:24 PM

Rep. Jane Harman of California, the current ranking member of the panel, has already been told by Pelosi that she won’t be given the chairman’s gavel. — FoxNEWS

…oooooooooooooo…*CAT-FIGHT*!

(goes to make popcorn)

Puritan1648 on November 28, 2006 at 3:24 PM

Hasting’s political ambitions thwarted in final lap.

Race card get yellow flag.

fogw on November 28, 2006 at 3:26 PM

*gets* durnit

fogw on November 28, 2006 at 3:28 PM

The situation is still fluid because Hasting still is trying to get together the bribe money for Pelosi.

Enoxo on November 28, 2006 at 3:29 PM

ANy word on who will get the chair?

bbz123 on November 28, 2006 at 3:32 PM

I’ll assume they’re using unimpeachable sources.

JammieWearingFool on November 28, 2006 at 3:34 PM

Looks like a partial fence has been built around the CBC!

RushBaby on November 28, 2006 at 3:35 PM

…oooooooooooooo…*CAT-FIGHT*!

(goes to make popcorn)

Puritan1648 on November 28, 2006 at 3:24 PM

So sweet.
It is like Alcee Hasting is the democratic Rumsfeld.
As for Jane Harman and Pelosi, I love cat fights. This is the reason why I support lesbians.

I second the statement. I’m still angry about Micheal Steele.

I can picture Jane Harman dancing to the Numa music.

Ouabam on November 28, 2006 at 3:36 PM

My respect for Speaker-to-be Pelosi grows*

(* = from absolute zero to an acknowledgement that she is occasionally capable of actually doing the right thing IF political circumstances force her into doing so).

thirteen28 on November 28, 2006 at 3:39 PM

Guess the bribe money fell through. Poor Hastings.

Now onto the cat fight!

Enoxo on November 28, 2006 at 3:44 PM

If Hastings and Harman are both out, then, hola Silvestre Reyes!

Kid from Brooklyn on November 28, 2006 at 3:48 PM

I guess the next question is who is: Rep. Silvestre Reyes

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 28, 2006 at 3:53 PM

Great! Rep. Silvestre Reyes…….. welcome to Aztlan!

PinkyBigglesworth on November 28, 2006 at 4:02 PM

From Rep Reyes website

11/22/2006 – Happy Thanksgiving from Congressman Silvestre Reyes
more »

11/17/2006 – Almost $40 billion in trade passed through the El Paso port of entry in 2005, and the 2nd Annual Hyperborder Conference aims to help El Paso business owners capitalize on this opportunity.
more »

10/27/2006 – Congressman Reyes will focus on cross-border technology in the 2nd Annual Hyperborder Conference.
more »

10/26/2006 – Congressman Reyes’ weekly column: “The future of energy in El Paso”
more »

10/26/2006 – President Bush’s signing the 700-mile border fence into law is an “empty gesture.”

LakeRuins on November 28, 2006 at 4:15 PM

“Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.

Yeah right.

You have been granted absolute morality to carry on your idiotic attitude.

Ouabam on November 28, 2006 at 4:15 PM

More info on Reyes and guess what He served in Vietnam
Congressman Silvestre Reyes, now in his fifth term, became the first Hispanic to represent the 16th District of Texas in the U.S. House of Representatives in 1996.

The 16th District of Texas includes the City of El Paso and surrounding communities and lies within the El Paso County boundary. It is located at the westernmost tip of Texas along the Rio Grande River and across from El Paso’s sister city of Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico. El Paso and Ciudad Juárez comprise the largest border community in the United States.

After serving his country in Vietnam, Reyes decided to devote his life to public service. In 1969, he began his career with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) in the U.S. Border Patrol. After serving as an agent, he was Assistant Regional Commissioner in Dallas, Texas for five years, where he had direct responsibility for administering a budget program exceeding $100 million for a 13-state area.

Reyes was then promoted to Sector Chief of the U.S. Border Patrol first in McAllen and subsequently in El Paso from 1984 to 1995. Reyes quickly became known as one of our government’s strongest and most effective innovators in border management. In McAllen and El Paso, Reyes initiated forward-thinking initiatives as “Operation Hold the Line,” the Border Patrol’s Canine Program, and the Border Patrol’s National Anti-Drug School Education Program. “Hold the Line” continues as part of the Department of Homeland Security’s Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (formerly the INS) strategy for the entire Southwest border and earned Reyes recognition from the White House, Congress, the Department of Justice and the INS, as well as numerous local, state, national and international organizations.

Known as “Silver” to his friends, Reyes retired in December 1995 after 26 ½ years with the Border Patrol to run for Congress.

LakeRuins on November 28, 2006 at 4:17 PM

“Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.”

Oh you can count on that Mr. Hastings. Just not in the way you are thinking.

infidel4life on November 28, 2006 at 4:19 PM

…his being canned from the chairmanship before he even got it was *NOT* the result of his being cosmically unqualified for the job, but because he’s “hated”. It has nothing to do with his lacking basic qualifications to handle even the lowest-level of national intelligence. Nope. He’s black, didn’t get what *HE* thought his due, and so it’s the result of “haters”.

The whole “this man can be bribed” sign pinned to his back had nothing to do with it.

Silvestre Reyes sounds like an interesting dude. Thanks LakeRuins. It should be an interesting two years.

Puritan1648 on November 28, 2006 at 4:36 PM

LMAO@”God is not finished with me yet.”. That’s probably one reason La Pelosi couldn’t let him take the gavel. The San Fransicko whackos wouldn’t let someone who proclaims god in any leadership post.

Oh, this is gonna be fun.

SouthernGent on November 28, 2006 at 4:38 PM

I was going to ask… with Hastings out, who is next?

If history serves… we should expect the possiblity of someone even worse… and we would be right, because up pops Silvestre Reyes as a possibility.

How much weirder is this going to get?

Lawrence on November 28, 2006 at 4:39 PM

Almost forgot thise pre-emptive whining from Hastings.

JammieWearingFool on November 28, 2006 at 4:41 PM

Reyes is committed to bringing more diversity to the Intelligence Community as it is a critical component to gaining greater insight and access to the global community.

This quote taken from the Reyes web site linked to by LakeRuin.

What exactly does he mean by “more diversity”?

Yikes!

Lawrence on November 28, 2006 at 4:42 PM

When ever I read about the Congressional Black Caucus I wonder, is there a Congressional White Caucus? or Male and Female Caucuses? (or is it cauci?)Just wondering ya know.

Ann on November 28, 2006 at 4:49 PM

Playa hata in da hizz-ouse!

Don’t hate the playa, hate the game!

lorien1973 on November 28, 2006 at 4:49 PM

I would like to comment on my impression of what I have read about John Conyers performance while on the Judiciary Committee investigating the case against Hastings. Can I say I think Conyers should be commended for his use of ethics and impartiality in his findings? He has set a precedent in recent memory in that this is a bench mark in ethics and honesty to which others can aspire to emulate.

sonnyspats1 on November 28, 2006 at 4:52 PM

“Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.”

Acknowledged and accepted. In fact, Mr. Hastings, why don’t you take a few years off to let God make some more progress on this “project.” Get back to us when you are “better.”

Mallard T. Drake on November 28, 2006 at 5:07 PM

“Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.”

Don’t hate tha playa, hate tha game.

RightWinged on November 28, 2006 at 5:13 PM

He [Conyers] has set a precedent in recent memory in that this is a bench mark in ethics and honesty to which others can aspire to emulate.

If memory serves me correctly Conyers findings were put in the congressional record over twenty years ago. Not so recent.

Recently (i.e. within the last year) Conyers has called for the impeachment of President Bush for his prosecution of the war in Iraq. How ethical of him, painting a target on the president while he’s trying to win a war.

Pay attention to the new colors. The old ones have faded.

fogw on November 28, 2006 at 5:14 PM

Whitey is keeping me down! Racism!

jaleach on November 28, 2006 at 5:22 PM

“Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.”

Yeah, but Nancy is. Buh bye!

Pablo on November 28, 2006 at 5:26 PM

Damn. All that comedy gold, flushed down the toliet.

Iblis on November 28, 2006 at 5:38 PM

Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.”

Alcee, this is for you.

Yhanks for the times that you’ve given me
The memories are all in my mind.
and now that we’ve come to the end of our rainbow
There’s something i must say out loud

Your once, twice, three times a lady
and i love you…
yes your once, twice, three times a lady
and i love you… i love you…

there it is on November 28, 2006 at 5:41 PM

“Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.”

Well, that changes matters. I suppose I can wait while God finishes hating. I didn’t realize there was a line. It makes sense that God would be at the front though.

*twiddles thumbs waiting his turn*

gekkobear on November 28, 2006 at 5:53 PM

If only Hastings had taken a lower profile….

Seriously, Conyers may have led impeachment proceedings against Hastings, but he didn’t seem to have a problem with him all those years Hastings has been in Congress. Until now.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 28, 2006 at 5:54 PM

Man, that must be one deep blue congressional district.

Mark V. on November 28, 2006 at 6:13 PM

“Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.”

That is a disgusting thing to say. Truly disgusting.

CrimsonFisted on November 28, 2006 at 6:17 PM

Hastings will now spend his time tracking down the real corrupt judge and write a book entitled *IF* I took it. You know, for the money.

pedestrian on November 28, 2006 at 6:18 PM

“Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.”

*twiddles thumbs waiting his turn*

gekkobear on November 28, 2006 at 5:53 PM

/mopping up keyboard
//Stepping back so the lightning doesn’t hit me too

Laura on November 28, 2006 at 6:30 PM

Does Pelosi serve crow at her San Fran resturants? Or has she ran out of it.
You know she is slowly being backed into a corner to choose Jane.
I love Pelosi! She is better than Kerry.

right2bright on November 28, 2006 at 6:39 PM

What he probably wanted to say is “Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me you yet”.

Entelechy on November 28, 2006 at 6:41 PM

Pay attention to the new colors. The old ones have faded.

fogw on November 28, 2006 at 5:14 PM
10/4 good buddy

sonnyspats1 on November 28, 2006 at 7:04 PM

any bets that Alan Colmes is going to make a big deal out this on “Hannity & Colmes” tonite

Starblazer on November 28, 2006 at 7:46 PM

To answer the question, “Who is Silvestre Reyes?”…

His voting record indicates that he has some independent views, and isn’t a Pelosi/Murtha/Frank clone, which might be considered good news, but he is far from desirable on many significant issues.

Some key votes that could be called “off the reservation” for a liberal include:

- Against hate crimes expansion to include ‘gender orientation’ language
- Against repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” (no idea which way I feel about this, it was a stupid concept when created, but the gays now want it to go away)
- Against giving citizenship rights to the undocumented non-married partners of citizens
- For ban on partial birth abortion
- For prohibition on human cloning
- Against permitted DoJ funds to enforce any form of ban on Pledge of Allegiance in schools
- For death penalty and mandatory minimum sentencing
- For flag desecration amendment
- Against medical marijuana
- For Patriot Act reauthorization
- For parental notification prior to minor’s abortion
- For off-shore drilling for oil and natural gas
- For drilling in ANWR
- For continued DoD funding and use of DoD property for Boy Scouts events
- For federal takeover of Mt. Soledad Cross site (San Diego tried for four years to have the cross removed, having it named a national memorial site under the federal program saves it)

All that said, his voting record certainly labels him a secular progressive, to borrow O’Reilly’s term, and most of those have no bearing on the position he is now being considered for, chairman of the select committee on intelligence.

In that realm, his votes are squarely aligned with the ACLU regarding military commissions, warrantless wiretapping, detainee intelligence gathering methods, etc. He is also an opponent of any immigration restraints, favors most flavors of hate crimes laws, and seems to be no friend to Christians.

Freelancer on November 28, 2006 at 9:46 PM

Just what is Pelosi’s gripe with the House intelligence committee ranking Democrat, Jane Harman?

She seems to have a serious grudge against the woman.

Anyways, Pelosi is 0-2 it seems and I couldn’t be happier for it. Keep up the good work! LOL!!!!

Yakko77 on November 28, 2006 at 10:24 PM

Alcee, you POS, you got exactly what you deserved, nothing. Enjoy the next two years. I know I will.

tormod on November 28, 2006 at 10:34 PM

STEEEEEEEEEEEE..RIKE Two for Pelosi!!!!

It’s going to be fun watching the Congressional Black Caucus going after Nancy’s scalp.

Jack.

Jack Deth on November 28, 2006 at 10:46 PM

A former federal judge says, “haters”.

What a thug. He be gangsta.

Black Adam on November 29, 2006 at 9:03 AM

“Sorry, haters, God is not finished with me yet.”

*twiddles thumbs waiting his turn*

Giggling madly here…good one. Very good.

Bob's Kid on November 29, 2006 at 10:31 AM

Alcee Hastings: “I’m An Innocent Victim of Politics”

Curly… “I’m a victim of circumstance.”

For some reason, every time one of these knuckleheads speak, I hear a little stooge in there. I don’t know, it could just be me, but I doubt it.

RalphyBoy on November 29, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Oh shoot, I wasn’t paying attention.

Has anyone as Kos, HuffPo, etc. explained how this is a victory for the leadership abilities of Pelosi, and not another failure of her ability to reach a stated goal?

If not, I’ll wait. It can’t be that much longer before they declare a “victory” again.

gekkobear on November 29, 2006 at 4:27 PM

Actually, I was looking forward to Hastings chairing that committee. It would have been so much fun to watch. Nancy is such a party-pooper.

Dave R. on November 29, 2006 at 4:38 PM

Steve L. on November 28, 2006 at 3:24 PM

OOHHH BOY! I need to leave that one alone………

R D on November 29, 2006 at 10:08 PM

She seems to have a serious grudge against the woman.

Yakko77 on November 28, 2006 at 10:24 PM

Harman supported the NSA, and Pelosi demands 100% toe the line extreme liberal agenda support.

Harman has wider support and is considered a person who can work with the other party, Pelosi’s agenda is to attack and destroy…even if it means weakening the U.S.

Pelosi cannot share the spotlight with Harman, Harman is just too intellectual for Pelosi to handle. I am not a supporter of Harman but I admire her independence, something the Democrats cannot afford.

right2bright on November 29, 2006 at 11:01 PM

gekkobear on November 29, 2006 at 4:27 PM

They are claiming that Alcee was never really considered for the post, he was just one of many under consideration. You see he was never asked, before he was un-asked.
The one they really want will be asked, who he/she is don’t ask. Harmon is the ranking member to be asked but won’t be asked. What is their reasoning? Don’t ask. Someone needs to kick Pelosi’s ask.

right2bright on November 29, 2006 at 11:12 PM

It won’t be long before Pelosi is kicked to the curb.

R D on November 29, 2006 at 11:23 PM