Video: U.S. Secretary of Education loses big on Celebrity Jeopardy

posted at 9:50 pm on November 21, 2006 by Allahpundit

What’s more embarrassing than being Secretary of Education and having your ass handed to you on Celebrity Jeopardy? Being Secretary of Education and having your ass handed to you on Celebrity Jeopardy by Lenny from “Laverne & Shirley.”

She was more than twenty thousand dollars behind at the start of Final Jeopardy.

Bonus fun fact for all the Spinal Tap fans out there: yes, there was a category devoted to Stonehenge; yes, the answer to the $1,000 question was “the Druids”; and yes, Michael McKean was the one who got it right.

Comments

Is our children learning?

You’re workin’ hard to put food on you’re family!

RightWinged on November 21, 2006 at 10:02 PM

Yeah, she knew Exxon Mobile though real quick, didn’t she my fellow libs. BLOOD FOR OIL! HALLIBURTON!

RightWinged on November 21, 2006 at 10:07 PM

It could have been worse,She could have lost to Squiggy.

bbz123 on November 21, 2006 at 10:07 PM

It figures she would get the Spanish question correct.

Valiant on November 21, 2006 at 10:11 PM

Solidad O’Brian, that stuffed shirt, know-it-all babe from CNN was on last week and didn’t fare any better. When asked to name two of the four states that contained a double N (NN), she couldn’t name one.

Why should we think that anchorpersons, cabinet members or hollywood celebrities are the brightest bulbs in the pack? All too often they put their ignorance on display every time they open their pie-holes.

Let’s face it, the real intellectuals are the everyday folks who show up on regular Jeopardy, and when they finish competing they go home to lead productive lives.

I tend to like the regular folks. And my dog.

fogw on November 21, 2006 at 10:12 PM

You gotta put up some Sean Connery SNL Jeopardy clips to make this post complete!

lorien1973 on November 21, 2006 at 10:15 PM

HER NAME IS MISS SPELLINGS.

jummy on November 21, 2006 at 10:15 PM

I have to admit, she got several questions right that I would have missed. But, I’m a product of pubic public education.

thedecider on November 21, 2006 at 10:21 PM

Cheech Marin is always on those shows, and that dude is SMART!

He gets stuff I could never get.

Mortis on November 21, 2006 at 10:22 PM

Thank you, Lorien!

Great way to end the evening!

Suck it, Trebeck!

Mortis on November 21, 2006 at 10:32 PM

Maybe she should be Secretary of the Army.

Rosetta on November 21, 2006 at 10:38 PM

David St. Hubbins was the genius behind Spinal Tap. Is it so difficult to believe that the brilliance behind Hell Hole, Sex Farm, Big Bottom and especially(Listen To) The Flower People could reach from music to the world of television trivia shows. Besides, the Secretary of Education is probably a product of our system of education.

DAT60A3 on November 21, 2006 at 10:49 PM

Maybe she should be Secretary of the Army.

No, the Army actually has standards. I don’t think that she would make the cut.

DAT60A3 on November 21, 2006 at 10:51 PM

No, the Army actually has standards. I don’t think that she would make the cut.

That was a John Kerry joke.

Rosetta on November 21, 2006 at 10:57 PM

I have to admit, the agencies that are run by our governmnet are run by losers. They are appointees who paid money through donations to the politicians that got them the jobs. No brains needed.

retired on November 21, 2006 at 10:57 PM

This was actually a bad idea having the Secretary of Education go on Jeopardy.

There’s no way that’s going to turn out well.

It’s like making the Agriculture Secretary grow his own food.

Rosetta on November 21, 2006 at 11:01 PM

Those who can, do…..

n2sooners on November 21, 2006 at 11:34 PM

Well at least she can order a large bunch of bananas in Spanish and then wash it down with a bottle of Stoli.

infidel4life on November 21, 2006 at 11:53 PM

This was actually a bad idea having the Secretary of Education go on Jeopardy.

There’s no way that’s going to turn out well.

It’s like making the Agriculture Secretary grow his own food.

Rosetta on November 21, 2006 at 11:01 PM

It didn’t work so hot at the DoD either.

Kid from Brooklyn on November 21, 2006 at 11:55 PM

I used to go to a bar in Chicago at Clark and Belmont where they would play every day for drinks, and there were extra bonuses for guessing the category for final ,etc, and there were alot of really really smart people playing for bottles of Old Style, It was great.Any one of them could have beat this woman.

bbz123 on November 22, 2006 at 12:21 AM

Is she going to get a 18 inch stonehenge as a price?

batperez on November 22, 2006 at 12:23 AM

John Kerry wants to quickly threadjack you with this message.

RightWinged on November 22, 2006 at 12:23 AM

…”Henry Bogart”!?!

…she got the haggis question right at least.

Had they had Jeopardy catagories like “Indoctrination of Children”, “Tools of Leftist Labor Unions” and “Literacy and Numeracy, NOT!”, she’d've cleaned up. The “Homeschooling” catagory would’ve eluded her, I fear.

Puritan1648 on November 22, 2006 at 12:28 AM

It didn’t work so hot at the DoD either.

Oh how we all long for the good old days when wars were free, went exactly as planned and no one died.

Rumsfeld is SUCH an idiot.

Rosetta on November 22, 2006 at 12:45 AM

potatoe

Ropera on November 22, 2006 at 1:04 AM

How sad to see the “base” turn to eat their own.

Texas Gal on November 22, 2006 at 1:06 AM

“We need safer bullets” – Jocelyn Elders

I tend to like the regular folks. And my dog.

fogw on November 21, 2006 at 10:12 PM

Me too fogw. I can’t stand phoneys. My two Shelties and the black cat are adorable.

Entelechy on November 22, 2006 at 1:15 AM

Is there anyone else who still thinks the Dept of Education should just be abolished, and the government out of the edcation business altogether? How can one argue against government run health care but then accept government run schools?

Halley on November 22, 2006 at 1:17 AM

How sad to see the “base” turn to eat their own.

Texas Gal on November 22, 2006 at 1:06 AM

Conservatives are good at that. Besides “their own” don’t give a you know what about their base. The base got the message. “Their own” didn’t. Not. Yet.

Entelechy on November 22, 2006 at 1:18 AM

Think she knows the lyrics to “Lick My Love Pump”?

rotorhead on November 22, 2006 at 1:32 AM

Entelechy on November 22, 2006 at 1:18 AM

Oh I think their own got the message loud and clear. That’s why I put the “base” is scare quotes. They’ve become scary.

Texas Gal on November 22, 2006 at 1:53 AM

Think she knows the lyrics to “Lick My Love Pump”?

rotorhead on November 22, 2006 at 1:32 AM

No, but I’ll bet you that she does know that it’s a question about mechanics………

provided that someone “breaks the question down” for her!

Emmett J. on November 22, 2006 at 2:04 AM

…she got the haggis question right at least.

Puritan1648 on November 22, 2006 at 12:28 AM

-Insert School Lunch Joke Here-

- The Cat

MirCat on November 22, 2006 at 2:06 AM

Halley,

I still do. At the very least the teachers union should be eradicated.

Sarah D. on November 22, 2006 at 2:14 AM

?

Her performance wasn’t embarrassing at all — ?? From the excerpts shown, she seemed to do fine, and finished above $10K, which is not bad at all on Jeopardy.

The key to Jeopardy is hitting the buzzer at the right moment. It’s ALL ABOUT TIMING. If you’re too quick, you are locked out for five seconds, a hair too late and someone gets to answer a question that you knew. No one gets on the show who isn’t capable of winning given favorable categories and good quick timing on the button.

And that is why, if you are in the lead, even though it would seem logical to always make your final bet such that if you miss and the others win, giving you tie (in which both, or all three, of you get the money, and come back for the next show), that it does not makes sense to do it: practice makes perfect, and the nerves of being on stage are much less the second time around… and your sense for when to buzz in much better. Better to face a rookie, every time, even one smarter than you.

File under: Teleological doubts about Allah’s infallibility.

wordwarp on November 22, 2006 at 2:15 AM

“… but these go to eleven.”

MattSkosh on November 22, 2006 at 3:38 AM

I’ve noticed that on Celebrity Jeopardy the ones who tend to do the best are writers and comedians. Leslie Neilson, Cheech Marin, Stephen King and Tom Clancy all did really great when they were on it. So did Graham Nash from CSNY.
Politicians usually do really lousy. I still remember how dumb former Rep. Pat Schroeder was. And lets not talk about most pro athletes…..

Ellen on November 22, 2006 at 6:38 AM

Rumsfeld is SUCH an idiot.

Rosetta on November 22, 2006 at 12:45 AM

I just long for the days when we fought wars to win, by deploying overwhelming force, and by crushing the enemy’s will to win.

Kid from Brooklyn on November 22, 2006 at 7:02 AM

How sad to see the “base” turn to eat their own.

Texas Gal on November 22, 2006 at 1:06 AM

No Child Left Behind, education for the world’s children in their own language at my expense? It is not her liberal base attacking but the conservatives who had hope that a GOP government would positively reform the public education system, or at least stop meddling in it.

Valiant on November 22, 2006 at 7:52 AM

Kid from Brooklyn,

Please excuse my earlier snarky comment. I agree with your statement 100%.

Rosetta on November 22, 2006 at 8:00 AM

“Working on a sex farm,
I want to plow your bean field,”

natesnake on November 22, 2006 at 8:20 AM

I’d vote to abolish the US DOE. I honestly have no problem with Publicly funded schools. I just want to be able to have more choices. If we want public education, why can’t it be run by the state or local government? At least that way I can move if I don’t like the system!

aelhues on November 22, 2006 at 8:26 AM

In her defense, Lenny was rocking and rolling. He had his brain set to 11.

BTW, best Celebrity Jeopardy contestant was Schwartzkopf.

BohicaTwentyTwo on November 22, 2006 at 8:39 AM

I’m actually disappointed in you people. Did everyone (including Kid from Brooklyn) miss the obvious joke about AP, his age and Jeopardy?

It’s like I don’t even know you people anymore.

JasonG on November 22, 2006 at 8:42 AM

Please excuse my earlier snarky comment. I agree with your statement 100%.

Rosetta on November 22, 2006 at 8:00 AM

No worries, Ro. I could have gone anywhere with that DoD take.

To know the Kid is to love the Kid.

Kid from Brooklyn on November 22, 2006 at 8:46 AM

Jason, since I am in Michelle and AP’s age ballpark, I chose to overlook the looming age jokes.

That, and my likely clever retort would’ve been something along the lines of, “…I’m never too old to kick your ayss”.

One day, though, I’ll handle age jokes like the Jedi Master.

Kid from Brooklyn on November 22, 2006 at 8:54 AM

Hey, good news! Schools are run by local governments.

JaHerer22 on November 22, 2006 at 8:59 AM

I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem *may* have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being *crushed* by a *dwarf*. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.

Derek Smalls: Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do “Stonehenge” tomorrow?
David St. Hubbins: *NO*, we’re not gonna fucking do “Stonehenge”!

benrand on November 22, 2006 at 9:05 AM

Not as tragic as I thought it was going to be, actually

She… didn’t come last, right?

Reaps on November 22, 2006 at 9:10 AM

Watching the original run of “Laverne & Shirley” doesn’t make a person old. I’m 32 and remember watching it and “Happy Days”.

32 isn’t old…. right?

natesnake on November 22, 2006 at 9:16 AM

Before her appointment to George W. Bush’s presidential administration, Spellings was the political director for Bush’s first gubernatorial campaign in 1994, and later became a senior advisor to Bush during his term as Governor of Texas from 1995 to 2000.

Well, Dubya paid his debt to her, I give him that.

Lehuster on November 22, 2006 at 9:16 AM

btw, for Michael McKean fans, don’t miss the tragically obscure..

100 Mile Rule

…which features one of the funniest fight scenes ever shot…and the beautiful Maria Bello. Available at Blockbuster!

wordwarp on November 22, 2006 at 9:27 AM

I LOVE SPINAL TAP!!

Troy Rasmussen on November 22, 2006 at 9:45 AM

Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley began in the early or mid 70′s. Natesnake must have seen the repeats or else the shows were on longer than I remember.

Rose on November 22, 2006 at 9:47 AM

This was actually a bad idea having the Secretary of

Education go on Jeopardy.

There’s no way that’s going to turn out well.

It’s like making the Agriculture Secretary grow his own food.

Rosetta on November 21, 2006 at 11:01 PM

Uh…the Ag Secretary is from Nebraska, and believe it or not, he can grow his own food.

serenity on November 22, 2006 at 9:48 AM

“Happy Days” 1974-1984
I was 10 during the last season.

“Laverne & Shirley” 1976-1983
I was 9 during the last season.

Don’t even get me started with “Mork and Mindy”!

natesnake on November 22, 2006 at 10:02 AM

Heh.

Sorry to offend anyone that is a fan of the current Ag Secretary by unfairly besmirching his reputation as a man that can grow his own food.

It was a friggin’ joke!!

Rosetta on November 22, 2006 at 10:14 AM

Funny tip to Spinal Tap. Good post.

Cary on November 22, 2006 at 10:16 AM

Sorry natesnake I guess they were on longer than I remember. You didn’t like Mork and Mindy?

Rose on November 22, 2006 at 10:22 AM

You didn’t like Mork and Mindy?

As an 8-year old kid, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

“Mork & Mindy” lunch box
“Incredible Hulk” Underoos
“Dukes of Hazzard” thermos
“The Black Hole” pillow

The “Incredible Hulk” Underoos were the best. I was 5-years old asking complete strangers if they wanted to see my Incredible Hulk. They would say yes, and I’d pull my pants down.

Looking back, maybe that wasn’t such a good thing.

natesnake on November 22, 2006 at 10:36 AM

If she feels good about getting the wrong answer, or she truly believes in her heart her answers were right that’s all that matters, right?!!?!?!

No celebrity left behind!

SouthernGent on November 22, 2006 at 10:38 AM

The problem was that Spellings had the two double jeapordy daily doubles and she bet too conservatively. Same with only wagering $2,000 on Final Jeapordy. I know she was representing a conservative administration, but, my God. Play to win!

Rusty on November 22, 2006 at 11:01 AM

Valiant,

The shame of the No Child Left Behind is that the public education system has been allowed to deteriorate to the point that a measure such as NCLB was necessary to stop the churning out of young people who are undereducated. I mean are we supposed to become a nation of Mickey D managers and Wal-Mart cashiers?

I look to my State Legislature as the root of the problems with public education in my state and the fact that the Teacher’s Union complains constantly about NCLB seems to be a good reason to support it. As someone who has worked in a related field that interfaced with the public school system I believe there are many problems that should be addressed not only by the district school boards but also by the state legislatures, but the feds have very little to do with the problems or the fix. So I suggest your discontent is misdirected.

And I do understand the attacking of Spelling is being done by conservatives, or at least those who believe themselves to be the “base” of the GOP.

And how did the election turn out for ya?

Oh Yeah, that’s right. It was Bush’s fault.

Texas Gal on November 22, 2006 at 11:18 AM

You know, Michael McKean was just on such a streak last night, I think Ken Jennings would have had a problem with him. He simply didn’t get very many questions wrong – and apparently was very quick on the buzzer.

Sec. Spellings didn’t lose as much as Michael McKean very obviously won – although a couple blown answers by her didn’t help her at all.

In the end it was both entertaining and $100,000 to some worthy organizations.

jeffshultz on November 22, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Hey, good news! Schools are run by local governments. — JaHerer22

…over the constant obstructions of an activist, socially radical network of teachers unions, yeah….

Puritan1648 on November 22, 2006 at 12:50 PM

Are we witnessing a child that may have been “left behind”?

THeDRiFTeR on November 22, 2006 at 4:04 PM

Nobody would overestimate the intellect of a Secretary of Education. At least I’m not of the opinion that it’s possible. But many underestimate the intellect of Michael McKean. The first interview I ever saw him do, which was somewhere around the fourth season of Laverne and Shirley, I was like, “this dude’s a genius, why is he playing an imbecile on TV?”

Of course, it takes a genius to know you’re going to be eating very well for eight years by playing an imbecile on TV.

Freelancer on November 22, 2006 at 5:54 PM

I’d just like to point out that being able to do well on a triva show is not the same as being smart.

I have an uncle that rocks at trivia. He hasn’t held a job for more than 2 months straight in his entire life and he, his wife, and their kid lived with his parents until they both died. He spouts of conspiracy theories about that vast-rightwing and sits at home watching tv all day.

I’d hardly call him smart, but he could probably out trivia Ken Jennings.

On the other hand, if this gets people to agree that the DOE needs to be abolished, then I’m all for putting it in campaign commercials and mocking her for the good of the cause.

JadeNYU on November 22, 2006 at 6:08 PM

Big deal Allah. She did fine. Your screen shot made me believe she ended up with -400, but like the typical biased main stream media you misled us.

Michael McKean and Secretary Spellings both did an excellent job.

angryamerican on November 22, 2006 at 6:16 PM

Kid from Brooklyn,

Please excuse my earlier snarky comment. I agree with your statement 100%.

Rosetta on November 22, 2006 at 8:00 AM

I agree, too – we need to give our warfighters the true support they need to win – not useless restrictions.

Rules are for games – not wars!

Hey, good news! Schools are run by local governments. — JaHerer22

Puritan1648 on November 22, 2006 at 12:50 PM

Not to mention the incessant whining of parents, socially activist preference groups, teachers who know less about their subjects than their students, No Child Left Behind, and no grant or levy left unfilled under threat of taking away from the kids, who are just trying to survive in an environment where they have a decent chance of getting stabbed or shot, never mind learning. Hopefully, but not necessarily, in English!

Rant more or less finished. Abolish the Dept. of Ed. – it be broke and can’t fix up!

Emmett J. on November 22, 2006 at 10:11 PM

I feel better I’m not the only Spinal Tap fan.

Now, how about a thread about Full Metal Jacket?

Dan866 on November 24, 2006 at 12:06 AM

You guys are dopes. Jeopardy is a trivia game–not an intelligence test. Any idiot who bathes himself in trivia 24/7 can win it. The fact that she doesn’t memorize Premiere Magazine and keep up with Entertainment Tonight doesn’t bother me in the least. Quite the contrary.

ahem on November 24, 2006 at 9:01 AM