Video: Michael Richards apologizes on Letterman

posted at 12:40 am on November 21, 2006 by Ian

Michael Richards appeared via satellite on the Late Show during host David Letterman’s interview with Richard’s former Seinfeld co-star Jerry Seinfeld.

Richards was speechless during his appearence and tried to make a sincere apology.

“For me to be at a comedy club and flip out and say this crap, I’m deeply, deeply sorry. I’m not a racist. That’s what’s so insane about this.”

Seinfeld said nothing “justifies what happened” and Richards is someone who he loves and deserves a chance to apologize, thanking Letterman for the time.

Update (Allahpundit): I watched it as it aired. The Malcontent’s description is perfectly apt.

Update (Ian): I don’t forgive him, but I think it’s harsh to say he was being an actor during his apology. The audience members who laughed were fools and just added to his pitiful performance on tonight’s show. I mean, how do you come out and apologize for making racist remarks? Is there some sort of suggestive statement you make other than outright apologizing? If Richards was really unapologetic, why would he put himself under the limelight again to apologize on national television? If he really didn’t care he would put out some prepared statement that his press agent wrote. I truly think he is sorry, but he needs to pay for his actions.

Update (Ian): Darnell, The Independent Conservative, wrote a powerful piece about Richards’ racist tirade.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I find it interesting that most people are focusing on Richard’s use of the n-word as evidence of his racism. I think a much better example was his reference to lynching (i.e. the ‘hanging up side down with a #$#$% fork in your @#$’).

As for the apology…I don’t know. I’m sick and tired of half-apologies where most of the blame is shifted to someone/thing else. I’m an alcoholic (Gibson/Foley). I’ve got rage because of war and Katrina (Richards). How about a REAL apology? Or (and this is a revolutionary thought), if you aren’t actually sorry and you personally don’t think you did anything wrong, say that! Instead of these fake apologies that celebrities dole out to save their (non)careers, why don’t they just have the gumballs to stand by what they said (unless they truly don’t believe what they said, in which case, give a real apology, not an excuse).

I also find it ridiculous that the hecklers are retaining lawyers. I find it hard to believe that this has actually done any damage to them (beyond the fact that they should get a refund for the evening since the comedy did suck). If they were truly traumatized, they probably wouldn’t have been doing the tv interviews. When she was 16, my sister got chocolate milk poured on her because the black girl sitting across from her decided she was “just a little too white” (we attended KC magnet schools and her school was 60% black and 40% other). Did my parents lawyer up and sue anyone involved they thought might have had money? No. My mom bleached my sister’s brown hair blonde and she went back to school even ‘whiter’ than before. Racism (of all stripes) is something to fight not to profit from.

JadeNYU on November 21, 2006 at 5:20 PM

Just saw an ad for Richards’ new flick: “Flushed Away”

Labamigo on November 21, 2006 at 5:31 PM

All I know is Jackie Chiles is in a real tough spot on this one.

RightWinged on November 21, 2006 at 6:20 PM

What’d he say wrong again?

Oh, he used the sacred “n-word” to insult a black person, who, based upon his behaviour and language, Chris Rock would call an “n-word”?

Black people hate n-words

– Chris Rock

Meanwhile, the n-word in question called the comedian the c-word (“cracker”), used far, far more insulting language than the stupid n-word (“m—–f—–”), but that’s okay.

Yes, keep your language and your humor fixed at ONLY insulting people of the Southern U.S. ethnicity (preferably those capable of acquiring red necks), and you’ll be embraced and lauded by this P.C. society.

Blacks won’t be societally equal to whites until this kind of tirade is shrugged off as quickly as the most stupid, bigotted, uninformed redneck joke is laughed at.

Had I been there, after one of the heckler’s comments, there’d have been a race war on the spot.

Now I guess I should say goodbye, being confident that I’ll be banned for expressing contra-PC opinions.

Hiraghm on November 21, 2006 at 7:46 PM

Who turns down a Junior Mint?

RightWinged on November 21, 2006 at 8:19 PM

Kanye West says Bush made him do it.

lostmyleggins on November 21, 2006 at 10:01 PM

Kanye West says Bush made him do it.

lostmyleggins on November 21, 2006 at 10:01 PM

Kanye does weigh in on race issues today

Kanye West has prompted a response from the Congress of Racial Equality after the rapper said he’s thankful for racially mixed couples who procreate.

“If it wasn’t for race-mixing there’d be no video girls,” the rapper says in the January issue of Essence. “Me and most of our friends like mutts a lot. Yeah, in the hood they call ‘em mutts.”

But it’s okay to objectify women and speak so shamefully about race… because he’s black… and George Bush doesn’t care about him.

By the way, did anyone catch Kanye’s latest hissy fit when he didn’t win an award? (Yes, he did it again.. scroll down for the iFilm video)

RightWinged on November 21, 2006 at 10:13 PM

It’s tough to say, but I can almost guarantee it happens. Off the top of my head, while not a stand up performance, I am picturing Chris Rock in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back or whatever it’s called… He’s a dickhead director and keeps calling this assistant cracker. When the kid brings his coffee up at one point he sniffs the air “cracka? cracka? cra-cra-crack!?” (or something like that).

RightWinged on November 21, 2006 at 4:22 PM

I was quite specific in answering the person who alleged that some black stand up must have gone on a rant calling whites “crackers” or something, at some amorphous time in an alternate universe. Your Chris Rock point, is not a point at all because the movie was written by White Guy, Kevin Smith. Stand up comedy and ACTING are two different things one comes from the heart, one comes from someone else. You say crassly that I need a straight jacket, well it’s America and you have a right to that opinion. The only thing I’ve ever done on this site is be appalled at how fake most of the so-called Christians around here are. From those who don’t know the Bible (most of you), to those who call themselves Christian yet could care less what the Scriptures say, all I did was hold the light of truth to your garbage. I show you that God has not only condemned something but has also condemned those who TOLERATE that thing, you preach tolerance. You say “he’s back” well I haven’t gone anywhere, I’ve just been silent. I thought I was joining a Conservative Christian website and I found a bunch of gay loving scripture hating “Christians” lmao. I was appalled at how the homosexuals have infiltrated the upper echelons of the Republican party and thereby compromised it’s moral message, you say, “business as usual”. There is no point in casting pearls before swine and that’s a lot of what I’ve found here. From people trying to “understand” a racists rant, to those who want to justify it by saying, “hey blacks use the N-word all the time”, I’ve just been sick of most of you. For the record, evey racial or ethnic group, calls its members names as terms of endearment. Italians regularly call each other “Guineas”, Irish guys call each other “Micks” and Gays call each other “Faggot”, it’s just that when it’s a black person, you people (lol) forget all of that , have memory loss and justify the most obscene words anyones heard in recent memory by saying, “hey blacks do it too”. In short, when I feel compelled, you’ll hear from me, until that time, you won’t.

Soothsayer on November 22, 2006 at 12:20 AM

You keep trying to justify one wrong by pointing out another. Yet you don’t seem to be savvy enough to even understand how racism is responsible for the fame of Kanye West in the first place. White execs won’t give record deals to rappers who DO NOT CALL THEMSELVES “NIGGERS”, did you know that? Of course not, but that won’t stop you from “opining” will it? This policy virtually ensures that there will be no more rappers, like the guy who made, “Bust the Move”, a college graduate. So when your field is narrowed to thugs and dirtbags who can manage stupid nursery rhymes over a beat, this is what you get.

Soothsayer on November 22, 2006 at 12:30 AM

Soothsayer, I say you need your straight jacket because any logical person can see you clearly have a few screws loose. Again, I’m not just trying to insult you, I’m dead fricken’ serious, you are quite crazy.

That comment, and others show just what an emotional (not thoughtful) nut you are. I’m one of the few around here who DOES NOT accept homosexuality, and will not even consider it until the day two of them naturally produce a child. But because you’re such a deranged lunatic and you don’t think before you comment, you’ve lumped me in to the “let them be, it’s their life” crowd.

Then your second comment says I’m trying to justify bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior. Again, think before you type retard. I only even mentioned Kanye West in response to someone else’s joke. I figured “hey, I’ll see if this douche has made any comments about this”, and what I found was that comment that displays perfectly what is a major problem with the young generation of black men in this country. I went on to pass on a link I thought folks might enjoy, of another of West’s hissy fits. Where did I try to justify anything? Oh, that’s right, I didn’t! You just freaked out again because you’re an emotional idiot with capacity for thought of a 5 year old. Take a few deep breaths before you comment, SERIOUSLY. NOT A JOKE, YOU ARE CRAZY.

White execs

Says it all. YOU ARE THE RACIST HERE. How about you place the blame where it belongs? Even if I were to accept your ridiculous premise (you know, regarding crackers like Suge Knight and Russell Simmons), the rappers still choose to be who they are. They could go get a job. They could go get minority college grants, etc. etc. THEY CHOOSE to be who they are. And WTF do I care? Where was I even talking about these thug losers anyway? Where? WHERE?! That’s what I thought? Another false premise, you’re arguing against a person you invented.

Back to the Rock scene. You act like you schooled me in the difference of stand-up and Rock’s acting. First of all, I would be willing to bet Rock improved many of his lines, and they’re clearly catered to his style. But the larger point is, I STATED CLEARLY that it was different, if you read the opening line of mine that YOU EVEN QUOTED!

Dude, back to my point I tried to make the other day but you hid from… YOU ARE A PSYCHOTIC HYPORCITE. You like to come on here and condemn everyone to hell for not being junior Soothsayers and marching in line with YOU, and then you come on, apparently showing us how you act Christ-like by saying you’d beat the shit out of Richards, etc. etc. You insanely attack everyone around here, and as I’ve just explained, you STEREOTYPE everyone here to create the image of whoever it is you’re pissed off at in the real world, so you can flip out on here. WWJD indeed.

You call everyone fake Christians. Yeah, that’s a way to win ‘em over bud. Look, I don’t claim to be a perfect Christian (though the views you ascribe to me, again, ARE COMPLETELY FALSE AND A RESULT OF YOUR OWN INSANE EMOTION), but clearly neither are you, and we don’t sit around lecturing you. Go back and read your Bible if you aren’t too busy at “Chocolate Night” (race based name?) at the Laugh Factory. I’m sure Jesus wants you there listening to all the topics of jokes there huh? Let me guess, they’re all clean comics? lol.

Okay, time to baselessly call me a racist and despite the fact that I don’t accept gays, tell me I do, etc. etc. Come on, take a few of your looney pills and jump back on your keyboard.

RightWinged on November 22, 2006 at 2:01 AM

I don’t know what to say, I just typed a lengthy response to you nutcase, but it didn’t show up.. happens quite often and it’s pretty obnoxious. But rest assured you are insane, a tremendous hypocrite, a racist yourself, retarded because everything you’re trying to argue with me about are you own inventions in your own head that you create out of your emotional rage, I don’t and never have accepted homosexuality, etc. etc. That sums it up, but hopefully my full comment does show up because you’re not worth retyping it.

RightWinged on November 22, 2006 at 2:03 AM

Boy, that’s for sure. What’s up with that, manangment?

EF on November 22, 2006 at 8:27 AM

I’ve had two responses not show up. They must be looking for key words I guess.

The day Richards was screaming the N word, OJ Simpson was getting $3.5 million for a book and a t.v. interview on what he thought was the proper way to slaughter two innocent Whites. Think about it.

Wonder if this response will make the cut. LOL

UnEasyRider on November 22, 2006 at 9:31 AM

On the subject of racism, what I am about to state is not racist! I am not racist, but I recognize racism when it is grossly evident but cannot be spoken about!

Just imagine for a minute the recerse of the O.J. case where a white man brutaly murdered two innocent black people, and got away with it strictly by playing the race card! It would have been called a “Hate Crime” simply based on whote killing a black!

It’s a shame that equality is not present for ALL races in the justice system! Remember, the courts were influenced in their decision by the threat of black violence in the wake of the Rodney king incident!

Bearhopi on November 22, 2006 at 1:24 PM

Boy, that’s for sure. What’s up with that, manangment?

EF on November 22, 2006 at 8:27 AM

Oddly, my lengthy comment (this time) did show up sometime now… It wasn’t there for hours, but it is now.

RightWinged on November 22, 2006 at 4:06 PM