Minneapolis flight: Imams booted for praying, CAIR springs into action; Update: Imam affiliated with terrorist group?

posted at 2:10 am on November 21, 2006 by Allahpundit

That story about the six Middle Eastern men being dragged off a U.S. Airways flight has been making the rounds of righty blogs but I thought it had a whiff of shinola about it. Sure enough, the not-so-exciting conclusion:

Six Muslim imams were removed from a US Airways flight at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and questioned by police for several hours before being released, a leader of the group said…

A passenger initially raised concerns about the group through a note passed to a flight attendant, according to Andrea Rader, a spokeswoman for US Airways. She said police were called after the captain and airport security workers asked the men to leave the plane and the men refused…

The six Muslim scholars were returning from a conference in Minneapolis of the North American Imams Federation, said Shahin, president of the group. Five of them were from Arizona, one was from Bakersfield, California, he said.

Three of them stood and said their normal evening prayers together on the plane, Shahin said.

CAIR’s promising a formal complaint in the morning to protest law enforcement’s inexplicable suspicions about a group of men onboard a commercial flight rising out of their seats in tandem and praying to Allah.

Interesting tidbit from Lileks:

According to the TV, the men said they were in town for “a religious conference.” Interesting. I was talking today with a guy I know; he’d been at a suburban hotel for an annual company sales meeting. The regional manager was having a difficult time speaking, since the party in the next conference room was praying about as loudly as is humanly possible, and had followed the prayers with a speaker who expressed in rather . . . forceful terms the depth of Muslim oppression in America. Unless there are several Muslim religious conferences going on in Minneapolis at the moment, I’d guess that might be the one. If so, I wonder if the reported truculence of the men might have been influenced, or at least reinforced, by the speaker. Whoever he was.

I phoned the info in to the paper, as a good citizen. Wonder if there’s anything to it.

Say it: McCarthyism!

Update: This one’s a false alarm. This other one, though? Maybe not so much.

Update: See Charles’s update. Surprise.

Comments

Remember all the rage at the tiny neo-nazi group that was going to march in Toledo, when before they could get started hundreds of black youth terrorized the neighborhood, burning a local bar because a white guy owned it, looting and destroying a store, throwing bricks, rocks, etc. at police cars and ambulances? I recall the debate at Expose the Left. One or two idiotic lefties kept screaming “incitement”, instead of laying blame on those who acted violently.

Well I wonder if the left would still invoke the “incitement” line, for a reason why these Imams praying on a plane was cause for concern. Hmmm…. “Allahuakbar” chanting Muslims killed 3,000 people 5 years ago with planes as their weapons. I challenge any reader to say that they’d just go on about their business, listening to music or reading the paper if you saw a bunch of Muslims stand and start praying on a plane.

RightWinged on November 21, 2006 at 2:22 AM

You notice these guys and Dinssa were all going to Phoenix?

Dinssa didn’t live in Phoenix. He lived in Dallas.

see-dubya on November 21, 2006 at 2:31 AM

You notice these guys and Dinssa were all going to Phoenix?

I don’t see the connection. Five of them were from Arizona. They were going home.

Allahpundit on November 21, 2006 at 2:33 AM

I’m with Rightwinged. If I was on that plane and a group started chanting to Allah, it would be the white-knuckled flight from hell.

laelaps on November 21, 2006 at 2:37 AM

Late shift boys.

Nice news just in time for me to fly cross-country tomorrow. :P

Anwyn on November 21, 2006 at 2:37 AM

Unless they were chanting to Allahpundit.

laelaps on November 21, 2006 at 2:39 AM

No, no obvious connection; just a lot of very active people in Phoenix.

see-dubya on November 21, 2006 at 2:40 AM

Cuddles for the newcomer, SeeDub. :)

Anwyn on November 21, 2006 at 2:46 AM

AP

Update: This one’s a false alarm.

Well, I suppose it all depends on what your definition of false alarm is.

Were these guys dedicated jihadists mere seconds away from an attempted hijacking? Probably not. Heck, almost certainly not.

On the other hand, I have a very hard time believing that there was no malice intended here. I have a very hard time believing that these guys stood up in the middle of a airplane about to take flight and had absolutely no idea this might cause alarm amongst fellow passengers.

My guess? This was done just to be a thumb in the eye / freak people out as much as possible moment.

I’m not going to research all of the internet links out there, but I’ve read numerous things where something similar happened and it appeared that certain Muslims with a very bad attitude were attempting to deliberately scare people to death on airplanes.

EFG on November 21, 2006 at 2:47 AM

errr,…

I have a very hard time believing that these guys stood up in the middle of a airplane about to take flight and started praying aloud and had absolutely no idea this might cause alarm amongst fellow passengers.

EFG on November 21, 2006 at 2:51 AM

What’s up with this? Were they screaming Allah Akbar? They must scared the b***h out of them

Ouabam on November 21, 2006 at 2:52 AM

She said police were called after the captain and airport security workers asked the men to leave the plane and the men refused.

That’s a violation of federal law right there–refusing an order from the captain. That’ll get you five years, I think.

(Thanks Anwyn–have a safe trip.)

see-dubya on November 21, 2006 at 2:54 AM

(Thanks Anwyn–have a safe trip.)

A little ditty called “I Want You to Oppress Me,” sounds like.

Thanks, SeeDub.

Anwyn on November 21, 2006 at 2:58 AM

Ugh. Nested blockquotes failed.

Anwyn on November 21, 2006 at 2:58 AM

Ugh. Nested blockquotes failed.

Anwyn on November 21, 2006 at 2:58 AM

Rookie mistake… j/k. I actually tried it about a week or so ago and learned the hard way as well.

RightWinged on November 21, 2006 at 3:04 AM

Rookie this. ;)

Anwyn on November 21, 2006 at 3:04 AM

I question why they were on US Airways!

Who flys USAir? If they have to and avoid like the plauge.

They should have flown AmericaWestWorst!
It may be delayed, late, and even canceled. Worth blowing up? Maybe at the ticket counter, rage that is, a stongly worded objection. With a scowl!

When we fly like El AL, I’ll feel better.

Or teleport.

Kini on November 21, 2006 at 4:26 AM

Makes you miss the days of TWA (Travel With Arabs). At least then you knew what you were getting yourself into.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 21, 2006 at 7:36 AM

At this stage, I beleive that they use the “religious conference” as a cover for nefarious activities anyway.A plan for world domination hiding under the “religious freedom” umbrella, more of the tactics of using our own freedom against us.
Flame away at me if you want,but I do not take any solace at all in their gatherings for any reason at all, Lileks nailed it, unless they were the secret “moderate Muslim” group gathering to prepare the blanket statement condemning jihad there is no reason to trust them.

bbz123 on November 21, 2006 at 7:45 AM

Not long ago, one of Air Canada’s child companies kicked an Orthodox Jew off a flight for praying while onboard, apparently because no one could communicate with the man, to let him know that he was making either passenger(s) and/or flight crew nervous. The difference? He was just one guy, and no hyper-sensitive special interest group held a press conference to announce that they would back him up with their lawyers the next morning. Air Canada’s response was that they were having their personnel undergo “sensitivity training.” (Sign of the times: At the new airport in Bangkok, directional signs to the airport’s Muslim Prayer Room are prominently displayed along with the signs to the Gates, Restaurants, etc.)

The moral? In these troubled times, use a little common sense: If you expect to make your flight, save your prayer rituals for before you board the aircraft.

SpartRan on November 21, 2006 at 8:03 AM

Oh yeah – one other difference: To the best of my knowledge, and unlike some supposedly devout Muslims, Orthodox Jews don’t hijack jets and crash them into skyscrapers.

SpartRan on November 21, 2006 at 8:06 AM

Unless they were chanting to Allahpundit.

I they had chanted “Allahpundit Akbar” they would be in federal court by now.

Coyote D. on November 21, 2006 at 8:21 AM

Oh, it would just not be politically correct for them to be sentenced to five years. Heck, other Muslims might get upset and burn stuff, kill people, blow things up, etc … just doesn’t sound safe, does it?
I agree with Rightwinged here. No such thing as a freaking false alarm. This country has been there, done that, and bought the freaking T-shirt.
Get off the plane when you’re told to you morons. I’m in a bad mood, but idiocy such as this just ticks me off.

wytammic on November 21, 2006 at 8:45 AM

ACLU—–HURRY—you’re missing a chance to prove how duplicitous you are again.

seejanemom on November 21, 2006 at 8:46 AM

I wonder if CAIR protests when Orthodox Jews are moved out of airport waiting areas or airplanes when they pray.

chsw

chsw on November 21, 2006 at 8:51 AM

“CAIR will be filing a complaint with relevant authorities in the morning over the treatment of the imams to determine whether the incident was caused by anti-Muslim hysteria by the passengers and/or the airline crew,” Hooper said. “Because, unfortunately, this is a growing problem of singling out Muslims or people perceived to be Muslims at airports, and it’s one that we’ve been addressing for some time.”

File freaking away. I’m trying to figure out why Muslims drawing attention to themselves and then being confronted about it is a problem. Let’s watch the left and the new Congress spring into action over this.

wytammic on November 21, 2006 at 9:03 AM

It would have been much more funny if someone tasered the lot of them.

JackM on November 21, 2006 at 9:08 AM

Well, tell ya what, I work for Southwest, and NOBODY is gonna try that *here*. Some clown (BEFORE 9/11) tried to breach the cockpit … our passengers KILLED him … and he wasn’t even a chanting muslim!

Tony737 on November 21, 2006 at 9:10 AM

wytammic on November 21, 2006 at 9:03 AM

It’s obviously “religious oppression,” and a violation of their “rights” (or so CAIR’s high-priced team of lawyers will argue).

SpartRan on November 21, 2006 at 9:14 AM

That’s because NASCAR fans fly Southwest :)

wytammic on November 21, 2006 at 9:30 AM

duplicitous

That’s a nice word right there!

Had I been on the plane, either would have left or I would have left.

SouthernGent on November 21, 2006 at 9:32 AM

Should have waited to boot them off the plane until a minute or so after takeoff.

infidel4life on November 21, 2006 at 9:37 AM

Next 4th of July I’m going to board a plane and start setting off fireworks. When they tazer me into deplaning I’ll sue the airlines for rampant anti-Americanism and become an instant zillionare!

CAIR and/or the ACLU filing papers is the best thing that could happen here. Any sane person still on the fence about the nature of those organizations will have their eyese jolted open.

And the rest shall sleep walk to the grave.

12thman on November 21, 2006 at 9:41 AM

Perhaps CAIR should be doing something productive, like opening a dialog about how the suicide bombers and terrorists aren’t representative of Muslims. And issue a strong statement rejecting terrorism and violence.

Of course that would require them to stop getting funding from Hezbollah too…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 21, 2006 at 9:43 AM

Wait a minute – six Muslims start passing notes and then decide to begin evening prayer – BEFORE THE FLIGHT TAKES OFF?? Surely if the Imams had any sensibility they could have prayed before boarding or waited for take off – then what could the airline do? Come on boys and girls, this smells like and surely was bait. Easy way to get some free publicity and a free flight.

A question for CAIR et al – So -it is OK for Muslim cab drivers to reject passengers for carrying alchohol, having seeing eye dogs, or other behavior that a Muslim deems offensive – yet the airlines have no right to reject passengers for behavior that they deem offensive?
Some advice – SUCK WIND – If I was on the flight I would have helped them off the plane.

iam7545 on November 21, 2006 at 9:44 AM

As I noted in our post, the Pope wouldn’t stand and subject everyone to Mass, would he?

And how on EARTH did NO ONE tackle one of these idiots? My adrenaline would have been en fuego!

Note to imans:

a) Your religious status doesn’t excuse from GOOD MANNERS. If it’s NOT a planeload of believers, keep that sh*t in your seat.

b) Do not attempt to excuse YOUR rudeness and arrogance with the supposed “IGNORANCE” of Americans about Islam. You live HERE, pinheads. The “ignorance” is ALL YOURS

tree hugging sister on November 21, 2006 at 9:55 AM

To be honest, I would be much more afraid of the quiet Muslim dressed in Western clothing staring out the window. Any group serious about hijacking a plane or carrying out a terrorist act would not be stupid enough to loudly start praying in a group pre-flight. I’m not saying this particular situation shouldn’t have been addressed, and if this group was doing this just to incite passages and make a point it is ridiculous and they should be punished accordingly. But come on, terrorists aren’t stupid enough to get every on the plane’s attention and scare the shit of them before they attack.

JaHerer22 on November 21, 2006 at 9:59 AM

To be honest, I would be much more afraid of the quiet Muslim dressed in Western clothing staring out the window. Any group serious about hijacking a plane or carrying out a terrorist act would not be stupid enough to loudly start praying in a group pre-flight. I’m not saying this particular situation shouldn’t have been addressed, and if this group was doing this just to incite passages and make a point it is ridiculous and they should be punished accordingly. But come on, terrorists aren’t stupid enough to get everyone on the plane’s attention and scare them senseless before they attack.

In my opinion, this, just like the UCLA taser boy, reeks of set up and law enforcement should be smart enough to see it for what it is and work to downplay instead of elevate to situation. I’m not saying these people shouldn’t be confronted and questioned, but when you make a huge deal out of them in public you play right into their hands, give them what they want, and set yourself up for lawsuits and protests.

JaHerer22 on November 21, 2006 at 10:05 AM

I saw this on Drudge this morning and got pretty angry as I read the article.

I couldn’t CAIR less if 6 men decide to travel together on the same flight to come home from a conference. Families and co-workers of various religious affiliations and nationalities travel together all the time.

It only became an issue because THEY made it so. These 6 men made the deliberate choice to make a public display. They could have just as well chosen to pray silently in their seats, silently read devotion materials, or defer their religious activities until they got home.

Furthermore, they did it within an enclosed space. Anyone offended by their public display didn’t have the choice of simply walking away; they were stuck in the plane with them and had no choice but to sit there, watch and listen.

Their public statement (via the Associated Press, which by the way didn’t offer a dissenting quotation from anybody else) was that anybody offended was merely ignorant about Islam.

So what? Guess what, guys: you’re a MINORITY in the United States. The MAJORITY doesn’t have to know a thing about your culture, values, language, religious “sensibilities”, or which direction you face when you eat or take a crap. In the great melting pot, the minority doesn’t get to dictate to or change the majority’s culture.

I don’t buy their story, though. It isn’t possible to live within the United States 5 years after 9/11 and not know that doing certain things aboard a plane is going to alarm (and quite possibly tick off) a lot of passengers and crew.

Given these men weren’t just common laymen but Imams, given the conference they just came from, and given how CAIR was so quickly involved, I can only assume this was a deliberate stunt. They knew from the very beginning they would be ejected from the plane. Their refusal to comply with the crew’s demand was also likely premeditated. CAIR was probably notified ahead of time and had their people lined up and ready to go.

So why did they do this? My guess is they wanted to have an incident of “Oppression of innocently praying Muslims” on record, especially on board an airplane within the United States.

Next time I board an airplane, the stewardess will point to the emergency exits, demonstrate how to use the air mask, point to Mecca, and pantomime a praying Muslim so I won’t be so ignorant as to be offended when I see a group of them doing it on the flight. Being so educated, I can then do well for myself….

Halp us Jon Karry. We R stuck here in da plain.

Dave Shay on November 21, 2006 at 10:37 AM

In WWII we interred all the Japanese Americans, and it wasn’t really a bad idea. But the Japanese Americans didn’t have an automatic calling to eradicate Americans. In this war, all Islamists DO have a calling to kill us all, as spelled out in their Koran. It’s time to set up those internment camps again. And deport Islamist foreigners. Before it’s too late.

stonemeister on November 21, 2006 at 10:52 AM

My goodness, isn’t this the argument being made by lefties about Mrs. Malkin’s and others’ rantings and the fake anthrax idiot of southern California?

I think Olberman even used the word truculant. Could be wrong though, seemed like such a non issue at the time.

THeDRiFTeR on November 21, 2006 at 11:08 AM

Is it? Lileks is hinting (“forceful”) that the speaker was trying to incite his audience to violence — a not unheard-of occurrence when Muslims congregate to pray.

But fine. If political speech, as opposed to actual incitement, is the standard for culpability now, then when do we prosecute John Kerry for this?

Allahpundit on November 21, 2006 at 11:29 AM

Lileks is hinting (“forceful”) that the speaker was trying to incite his audience to violence…

Allahpundit on November 21, 2006 at 11:29 AM

Seemed to me that the idiots at C&L and Keith Olberman were suggesting as much about right wing polemicists. Must have misunderstood them. Sorry!

THeDRiFTeR on November 21, 2006 at 11:34 AM

The things Michelle Malkin and others have said are available, in full, on the web. This means the argument of incitement can either be proven or disproven, depending upon your point of view.

What was exactly said at this conference, though, isn’t available at this time. We have one “ear witness” account, but that seems vague to me and we don’t have any quotations to go by.

I wonder if the new Muslim Congressman-Elect would care to comment? The one where “Allah Ackbar” was shouted at his victory party. (Was I the only one who was disturbed at hearing that?) I wonder if he would care to comment, as the AP article reported that he was present at the conference.

Dave Shay on November 21, 2006 at 11:43 AM

These guys are lucky they didn’t get tackled by the passengers. I would’ve started organizing a possible resistance. What do you think would have happened if I started standing and reading from Mein Kampf out-loud on the plane? Damn good thing they got escorted off.

SpartRan, it was a good thing Air Canadia escorted the Orthodox Jew off. I’m not one to go around forcing my religion on other people, …but all religions need to bend to practicality and society. If you are locked in some kind of prayer requiring you ignore everyone around you, you can drive instead of fly. That’s why being Catholic is awesome. When someone interrupts your prayers, you know where you left off by the rosary beads.

Tony737, LOL!!!!1!exclamation point!

My theory (like most of yours): They were looking for a juicy lawsuit. Money hungry base turds.

tadams1138 on November 21, 2006 at 11:52 AM

These people have no shame. They are sympathetic to those who hijack planes and slaughter thousands of innocent Americans, and then they try to rub it in by standing and praying on airplanes. They need to leave our country and go where to a country with sharia law.

Oh yeah and they are always the victim.

januarius on November 21, 2006 at 11:54 AM

tadams1138 on November 21, 2006 at 11:52 AM

Outside of incredulous, surprised and yes, perhaps even some angry looks, nothing. But this is an unfair comparison.

Dave Shay on November 21, 2006 at 11:43 AM

God is great? I’ve heard christians say it in one form or another since I was a kid. Never disturbed me then, but again, incredulous, surprised and yes, perhaps even a bit angry, so I know how you feel.

THeDRiFTeR on November 21, 2006 at 12:13 PM

That didn’t work the way I wanted. Sorry bout the strike out. Please disregard.

THeDRiFTeR on November 21, 2006 at 12:13 PM

A candidate praising God after he won a congressional race disturbed you? I would venture to say 90% of candidates praised God in their victory speeches. Oh wait, it disturbed you because he wasn’t praising your God and he wasn’t praising him in your language.

JaHerer22 on November 21, 2006 at 12:20 PM

No, I don’t think you know how I feel. :)

Yes, “Allah Ackbar” means “God is great”. But in a shouted form it is also associated with terrorism or anti-US rallies on foreign soil. Does every utterance of “Allah Ackbar” automatically imply terrorism? No. But one cannot follow current events and not avoid this connection.

I found that video (from last week’s “Jihad Watch” Vent) disturbing because it occurred on US soil and it was associated with a national political office. I found it a chilling sign of things to come in future years.

If you’re an atheist and have been “incredulous, surprised and yes, perhaps even a bit angry” because you heard someone belonging to the majority faith in this country mention God in one form or another, I don’t think even that is a fair comparison or moral equivocation with someone shouting the catchphrase that has been often recorded or overheard immediately proceeding a terrorist act.

Hmmm, sliding a bit off-topic here. I’ll stop posting for a while and go grab some more coffee. ;)

Dave Shay on November 21, 2006 at 12:34 PM

Borders, language, culture my friend. :)

Dave Shay on November 21, 2006 at 12:36 PM

Oh No! I just noticed the Drifter is back! I wonder if he is still in his favorite country, France.

I guess this is his “logic”:

Scenario 1:
American goes to Malaysia, flies Malaysian Airlines, stands up before the flight begins, and loudly prays the rosary, and asks for submission of all Muslims to Catholicism. Oh yes, and he demands in his everyday life in Kuala Lumpur that he be considered a Malaysian citizen.

He would branded an “ugly American.”

Scenario 2:

Muslims come to America to pretend to be American citizens but in reality to help make America a nation under sharia law in the next few decades. Six imams, knowing Americans’ sensitivity towards terrorism, in order to mock it and rub in how they sympathize with terrorists, stand on an airplane and pray. They don’t assimilate; we must assimilate to them.

Are they “ugly Muslims?” No, they are victims of capitalist, imperialist oppression.

That is the logic of the Left.

januarius on November 21, 2006 at 12:41 PM

All we got from the local Mpls. TV stations was a mini-lecture to be more understanding of other religions.
I wish a group had stood up in front of the Imams and prayed—loudly,the Our Father.

lizzee on November 21, 2006 at 1:11 PM

I wish a group had stood up in front of the Imams and prayed

Nope. I wish someone had tackled their asses instead of just “passing a note” to the crew.

Just like I wish someone had tackled their asses when that first boxcutter came out of a pocket on 9/11. Is that what we’re back to NOW?

Oh and don’t think they aren’t watching for this mindshift back to simple polite scowling.

tree hugging sister on November 21, 2006 at 1:30 PM

They should have surrounded the plane, beseiged it for 53 days, brought in a bradley fighting vehicle to tear up the tarmac around it, injected poisonous gases into the interior, and then burned the plane to the ground, with all the passengers still inside.

After all, that’s how our gov’t treats CHRISTIAN fundamentalists…

I work for a delivery service that also delivers “delayed” baggage for all the major airlines (including Southwest.) I’ve been toying with a story idea in the back of my head regarding how *easy* a terrorist attack would be at our local airport, given the lax security…

Hiraghm on November 21, 2006 at 1:57 PM

You notice these guys and Dinssa were all going to Phoenix?
Allahpundit on November 21, 2006 at 2:33 AM

The Phoenix connection: from Jihadwatch

Why have several recent incidents involved passengers on their way to Phoenix????

-XRDC

shooter on November 21, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Try praising a God other than Allah, in English, in some muslim country and see what you get.

JackM on November 21, 2006 at 2:11 PM

THeDRiFTeR, welcome back. I’m not a bit sarcastic. You’re a loyal opposition commenter, who’s intelligent and polite, and can give and take to/from an argument. I’ve actually missed you; especially I’d appreciate a quick report from/about France or life in Europe, now and then.

You also don’t get caught up in multi-comment-strings, or with interminable argumentation, supplying relative or bogus stats. I’ve always believed that if one looks long enough one can find stats and sayings to fit any argument.

Sincèrement,

Entelechy on November 21, 2006 at 2:16 PM

More about Phoenix: “When the Tsunami disaster struck Muslim families in south East Asia, the students of Arizona Culture Academy answered the call and rushed to help. They emptied their piggy banks, brought their allowances, and lobbied their families to participate. In five days, $8,014.00 was collected and given to the Representative Imam Omar Shahin of the Kind Hearts Organization.”
One of the imams led off the Minneapolis plane affiliated with Hamas-linked organization

Take a peek, w/thx to Robert Spencer…again.

shooter on November 21, 2006 at 2:23 PM

Whoops, and LGF

shooter on November 21, 2006 at 2:24 PM

Minneapolis / Missouri / Phoenix.
Watch for tractor trailers, big rigs, 18 wheelers, whatever you want to call them.
Just a thought.

shooter on November 21, 2006 at 2:26 PM

JaHerer22 on November 21, 2006 at 12:20 PM

JackM on November 21, 2006 at 2:11 PM

True indeed Jack. Look at Pierre Gemayel.

BigOrangeAxe on November 21, 2006 at 2:31 PM

They also had ties to Osama… Jihad Watch

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 21, 2006 at 2:33 PM

Dave Shay on November 21, 2006 at 11:43 AM

I suppose that depends on if you can tell the difference between “Allah Akbar” (God is the Greatest) when said as a prayer and “Allah Akbar”, right before they detonate the bomb.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 21, 2006 at 2:34 PM

Next thing you know the all planes will have to fly east several times a day, prayer carpets will be provided, and flight attendants will have to wear veils not to offend, Al-jerkzera will replace CNN (or is that redundant?) for inflight t.v.
While we are on the subject, there has been more hijacking of planes than ditching into oceans. Can we have a safety film, before take-off, on how to disarm and take-down a hijacker? Forget the lifejacket stuff.

right2bright on November 21, 2006 at 3:04 PM

Oh, aMEN, my brother!!

Wait…can I say that?

tree hugging sister on November 21, 2006 at 3:55 PM

Oh, aMEN, my brother!!

Wait…can I say that?

Not without getting kicked off a plane.

right2bright on November 21, 2006 at 4:09 PM

THeDRiFTeR, welcome back. I’m not a bit sarcastic.

Entelechy on November 21, 2006 at 2:16 PM

Thank you for that, that was very kind, although I’m not sure that anyone else is “d’accord”. Life in France is pretty good mostly. My eldest son just turned 6 and I was able to whisk him off the euro disney for a little taste of home, (his first trip there), much to his mother’s consternation, but hey, it’s main street USA man! Weather is lousy, but I live in Brittany, near the channel, so that is to be expected this time of year. It’s looking like Ségolène Royal is going to be taking the next presidentials here in France. She’s the socialist, so we can prolly expect strikes, tax increases, higher jobless rate and all the rest. Good thing the food and wine is good and cheap. Wonder if we’ll have disgruntled youth in the streets come spring. That’s about it since we last crossed swords here. And you, how are you and yours?

THeDRiFTeR on November 21, 2006 at 5:09 PM

My good friend paranoia is suggesting to me that a pattern is beginning to develop.

A very public, disruptive behavior which provokes a police response, followed by a very innocent, very offended demand that oppressive, racist behavior by police toward innocent Muslims must stop. Which is followed by even more very visible disruptive behavior, which continues to provoke a police response.

Which then results in disruptive riots protesting the repressive police actions.

I am very thankful I no longer have to travel; because I would refuse to fly with six very public, very obvious Muslim men. (unless I was well armed, and had backup)

rockhauler on November 21, 2006 at 6:16 PM

THeDRiFTeR on November 21, 2006 at 5:09 PM

It doesn’t matter if all are d’accord. Many on this board are pretty spirited and reasonable debaters, so long as they aren’t personally attacked. Some just love to ‘hammer’ hard. Generally, I don’t think they mind input from the loyal opposition, especially when argued in good faith.

Heh, we didn’t “cross swords”, only philosophical or political ones and such differences are healthy. I’m a registered independent, leaning right, and have my issues with both parties. However, I adore living here, while maintaining plenty of my root traditions, and experiencing much from other cultures. I lived in communism and can’t be convinced that it was good. I try to respect all people, for the most part. Some are not so deserving. In general, I’m trying to curb my inclination for sarcasm. Hopefully, I succeed a little, lately. Sometimes, I can’t help myself.

Otherwise life is good and especially interesting, because I choose to make it so. Mine is a story of Cinderella. I focus on the interesting and try to help as many as I possibly can to focus on the same.

Thanks for your story. I enjoyed it. Regards, until later,

Entelechy on November 21, 2006 at 7:12 PM

lizzee on November 21, 2006 at 1:11 PM

That would be the perfect response, pointing their fingers at them while praying “deliver us from evil.” I’d be more than willing to do that and be thrown off the plane because of it.

infidel4life on November 21, 2006 at 8:27 PM

Five of them were from Arizona. They were going home.

This was all over the local news today. On the radio, not so much about what happend on the air plane, but the fact home is again, Arizona. The local CAIR crowd had some propaganda to push also (racist, islamophobic, islamo-hysteria, ya da, ya da, …).

Personally, it’s a short drive to/from the border. Makes for a good staging ground.

AZ_Redneck on November 22, 2006 at 12:26 AM