Jedi Knights demand religious recognition in Britain

posted at 9:47 am on November 17, 2006 by Ian

Because it’s Friday:

Umada, 27, and Yunyun, 24, both from London, want the day to be renamed the ‘Interstellar Day of Tolerance’ to reflect millions of people across the globe who have chosen to follow the Jedi code as a religion and truly reflect social diversity.

For the protest in Whitehall, the couple will wear full Jedi Knight robes and will be accompanied by a host of supporters including Star Wars favourite Chewbacca with a placard reading ‘Tolerance for Jedis’.

Umada and Yunyun said: ‘For the last ten years the United Nations has marked the International Day of Tolerance. While we support this important work, we feel the UN needs to move with the times.

‘Like the UN, the Jedi Knights are peacekeepers and we feel we have the basic right to express our religion through wearing our robes, and to be recognised by the national and international community.

Now this is quite remarkable:

In the 2001 UK Census 390,000 people listed their religion as Jedi Knight making it the fourth biggest belief in the country.

There are also an estimated 70,000 Jedi knights in Australia, 53,000 in New Zealand and 20,000 in Canada.

I have a strange feeling whoever makes straight jackets in the UK will be a billionaire within the next 10 years.

Comments

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

vcferlita on November 17, 2006 at 9:53 AM

Make their acceptance as a religion contingent on their members demonstrating how to move objects using only “The Force”.

High Desert Wanderer on November 17, 2006 at 9:55 AM

You know, I always liked “Hardware Wars”, an excellent parody.

May the Farce Be With You! :)

TwinkietheKid on November 17, 2006 at 9:58 AM

That does it. I’m going Vulcan.

bbz123 on November 17, 2006 at 9:58 AM

/me rolls eyes

Ok…Europe is officially over…all hope is lost…they deserve for the mullahs and imans to rule over them

SunnyBrook on November 17, 2006 at 9:59 AM

This is serious? I saw the video and just assumed he made that stat up. I’m a little shocked.

Esthier on November 17, 2006 at 10:00 AM

Like the UN, the Jedi Knights are peacekeepers

Well, at least the Jedi Knights haven’t raped anybody, so they’re better “peacekeepers” than the Useless Nations.

ReubenJCogburn on November 17, 2006 at 10:01 AM

That quote also tells you how many Brits had their lunch money taken from them as kids.

harrison on November 17, 2006 at 10:02 AM

Does Jedi mean “peace”?

frankj on November 17, 2006 at 10:03 AM

He does have a point – as noted they’ve done almost as much as the UN to help the world and far less to harm it.

KCSteve on November 17, 2006 at 10:09 AM

I wouldn’t take this too seriously. This may just show that a large number of people don’t take these census questions seriously. Should they? Why should this type of census data be recorded by the government is the first place? If someone called my house and asked me to state my religion, I’d probably tell them it’s none of their business. Alternatively, if I was in a playful mood, I’d be just as likely to list Jedi or “Deatheater,” i.e., follower of Harry Potter’s nemesis Voldemort.

Mig on November 17, 2006 at 10:12 AM

LOL—I think I spotted my pants…..heeeeeeeeheeeeeheeee

seejanemom on November 17, 2006 at 10:12 AM

Great, when the Islamofascists attack, we’ll be protected by a bunch of fools with flashlihts that look like lasers…

shooter on November 17, 2006 at 10:15 AM

gimme a “G”

shooter on November 17, 2006 at 10:15 AM

Is it possible for a whole country to “jump the shark?” Besides, I thought “Football” was their number one religion.

robblefarian on November 17, 2006 at 10:20 AM

robblefarian on November 17, 2006 at 10:20 AM

Didn’t France jump a century ago?

Esthier on November 17, 2006 at 10:23 AM

Does Jedi mean “peace”? — frankj

…no…if you’re George Lucas, however, it means gazillions in merchandizing….

Puritan1648 on November 17, 2006 at 10:24 AM

This is actually a simplification of what happened. UK simply kept track of “Jedi Knight” because so many people answered the question that way. It is not an official religion, not recognized, or anything like that. I hate that jedi knightwood is being somehow put up alongside actual religious beliefs.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 10:24 AM

Does Jedi mean “peace”?

frankj on November 17, 2006 at 10:03 AM

Did you ever notice how many Jedi’s liked to lop peoples’ heads off, though? I always found that interesting.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 10:25 AM

Well I guess that I can come out as a Death Eater as well, Mig.

Avada Kedavra!

Pulchritudinous Patriot on November 17, 2006 at 10:28 AM

And yes, that stat is correct – there was a huge push on the net to get people to put down ‘Jedi’ as their religion just before / during the last census. — KCSteve

This may just show that a large number of people don’t take these census questions seriously. Should they? Why should this type of census data be recorded by the government is the first place? — Mig

…sort of puts the whole “accuracy of the census” thaaang in perspective.

Remember the campaigns to get people to answer census questions back in the waning days of the “Clintonian Renaissance”? Commercials showing libraries, fire houses, etc., and the voiceover guy saying that answering the census would *insure* that you got the goodies.

Let’s all start a trend…the next census here is only 4 or so years away. Let’s all put “black” or “African-American” or whatever the PC designation is when fashions change between now and then. 300 million people, all of ’em black.

Then we can watch as the Dems go bug-nuts trying to figure out how they went from 93% of the black vote to 13%…a good time to be had by all.

We can even resurrect the chicken-and-beer discussions of a couple of threads ago….

Puritan1648 on November 17, 2006 at 10:29 AM

Puritan…how about a campaign to get people to declare themselves Jedi, or Time Lord or even Death Eaters, whatever. Just for fun.

Pulchritudinous Patriot on November 17, 2006 at 10:32 AM

I saw a great bumper sticker recently: “Republicans for Voldemort” Made me wish Condi could whisper Avada Kedavra in Ahmadinejad’s ear to positive effect.

Mig on November 17, 2006 at 10:33 AM

Are these the cool Jedi from Eps IV-VI that fight evil or the lame Jedi from I-III that act as glorified auditors?

armylawyer on November 17, 2006 at 10:33 AM

Mig, you’re quite right, only this was actually a concerted effort by a group of people who thought much as you describe. Yep, they spoofed the census. Sounds like fun.

“Do it because you love Star Wars… or just to annoy people”

Pablo on November 17, 2006 at 10:34 AM

…oh…wanted to mention…I saw the Boss-lady’s Vent today…I’m convinced: I want to sign on as an acolyte in her fictional army, but I’m afraid that I exceed weight requirements.

Is there room in the troops for an *ACO-LARD*?

— Puritan1648
Acolard First Class
Malkin Liberation Front

“Hail the Boss!”

Puritan1648 on November 17, 2006 at 10:35 AM

Mig…”Republicans for Voldemort”..LOL

Severus Snape for President!

Pulchritudinous Patriot on November 17, 2006 at 10:36 AM

May the Schwarz be with them.

bloggless on November 17, 2006 at 10:38 AM

The Jedi from I-III were actually agents of Facism. Why would you send a guy – armed to the teeth by definition – on a simple negotiation? Seems like you are either demanding that a) the party backs down and submits to your will or b) fights so you can kill them and take their stuff.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 10:38 AM

blogless…

“I hate it when my Schwartz gets all twisted like that”

Pulchritudinous Patriot on November 17, 2006 at 10:41 AM

Also, I demand proof of their beliefs. Can anyone who is a “Jedi”

1-Control peoples’ thoughts on a whim
2-Make objects come to them by wishing it to happen
3-Jump incredibly high distances (or fall those same without getting hurt)
4-Make objects float
5-grow a super cool (buy gay looking) hair braid
6-make a lightsaber

Do they also realize that being a Jedi means they can’t smoke pot (dude, that likes 200,000 gone right there), have sex (that’d pretty much kill the remainder of them), vote, have actual opinions on things (they are robotic and doing what others say, by definition).

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 10:42 AM

lorian1973

That’s why it’s more fun to be a Death Eater.

Pulchritudinous Patriot on November 17, 2006 at 10:45 AM

That’s why it’s more fun to be a Death Eater.

True true. I prefer “Master of the Universe” from He-Man myself. My power is unopposed that way.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 10:47 AM

I am a Jedi Knight.

I have been for more than 30 years now.

I am also part Vulcan.

In fact, I am a highly trained member of the Shaolin, the Ninja, and the Jedi, as well as a Vulcan, and Yogi.

My full name, a rather long name, is a combination of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Asian Indian, North American Indian, etc. My full name is William Obi Wan Flying Strong Eagle Gihng Lung (Cantonese) or Jian Long (Mandarin) Spekchalk (Vulcan) Jose Luiz Martinez Tito Puente Morihei Ueshiba Oyama Kushogi Sool Kwok Tashihara Chin Ho Lee Mahatma Sat Nam Bachan Sarupanand Ji Sihng.

We are the guardians of peace, freedom, liberty, and harmony throughout the galaxies.

The leftists fear us and are attempting to silence us, but their powers are weak, and the Force is with us.

The power of the looney, deranged left is insignificant next to the power of the Force!

William2006 on November 17, 2006 at 10:48 AM

William2006

Wow…how do you fit that monogram on your towels?

Pulchritudinous Patriot on November 17, 2006 at 10:55 AM

That’s a lot of people living in their parents basement.

thirteen28 on November 17, 2006 at 10:56 AM

Step away from the crack pipe.

Who’d of thought we can’t win in Iraq because too many people are sitting in front of their TV’s watching Star Wars or sitting at their computers playing Star Wars Galaxies.

I thought I felt a disturbance in the force once… turns out it was just taco bell.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 17, 2006 at 10:56 AM

Also, I demand proof of their beliefs. Can anyone who is a “Jedi”

1-Control peoples’ thoughts on a whim
2-Make objects come to them by wishing it to happen
3-Jump incredibly high distances (or fall those same without getting hurt)
4-Make objects float
5-grow a super cool (buy gay looking) hair braid
6-make a lightsaber

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 10:42 AM

Absolutely, and even more!

I don’t really require a light saber. I have Kryptonian blood flowing through my veins, so I have the powers of Superman, the skills and powers of a Jedi, plus the advanced training in martial arts of the greatest of all Shaolin, Ninja, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Yoshinkan Aikido, Kudokan Judo, Kyokunshinkai and Goju Ryu Karate, Kajukenpo Karate, le Savate, Hapkido, Penjit Silat, Boxing, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, Jeet Kyun Do, Wing Chun Gung Fu, Kendo, Iaido, archery, marksmanship, Kali, Escrima, and so on.

Do you know about those so-called “UFO” sightings at as high as 35,000 feet and higher, in which people say they see large cigar shaped objects with a florescent like illuniation flashing around the perimeter of the object? I make those objects levitate. Those are 5 billion ton objects from planet Szyrasktchtniea, used to sharpen our skills and keep them sharp.

I can not only bring objects to me, I can make my food cook itself, gourmet style, and make the moon come closer to the earth and then return to its proper orbit again, all while maintaining perfect balance of all the forces of the Universe so there is no damage from the moon moving out of orbit.

Fun.

William2006 on November 17, 2006 at 10:58 AM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on November 17, 2006 at 10:56 AM

Taco Bell is designed like an old Jedi resort cabin.

Anyway,

Does anyone here like Indian food?

William2006 on November 17, 2006 at 11:00 AM

William2006

Wow…how do you fit that monogram on your towels?

Pulchritudinous Patriot on November 17, 2006 at 10:55 AM

We usually do not require towels. The water and soap comes to me for bathing-showering, and at my command the water, and the dirt, leaves me.

Nevertheless, I don’t have monogrammed towels.

My wife does, and yes, she is a Jedi Kight as well, as are our children – tiny Jedi Knights.

William2006 on November 17, 2006 at 11:04 AM

Does anyone remember the big hoopla about the Klingon language? There was the drive to get both Shakespeare and the Bible translated into Klingon. I think there was a stress hotline in the Seattle area (or somewhere in that region) that included a staffer that was supposed to be able to speak Klingon. I personally thought it was silly because has anybody ever seen a depressed Klingon?!

allie on November 17, 2006 at 11:13 AM

Speaking of Olberman,

It has been a long time since I realized I did not enjoy his program and ceased to watch it.

I thought I heard or read that people think Olberman is some kind of a genius. Is that what people really believe?

Does he have a reputation for being a standout in the world of IQ-intelligence?

How would he stack up against the likes of Marilyn vos Savant, the woman with the highest IQ in recorded history, who scored 228 on the Stanford-Binet test.

Olberman does not strike me as particularly bright, based on my past observation of him. It appears that almost anyone can get a television program these days, or at least, almost anyone can get a job in a left leaning, biased news broadcasting company.

Chris Matthews is another one who strikes me as rather absurd, yet I do not hear or read others expressing abhorance of his program.

Truly,

It is refreshing to view Michelle’s commentary on HotAir today. Michelle reminds me of my wife, who is Chinese, strong willed, intelligent, won’t take crap from anyone, stands on her principles, is truthful, loving, resourceful, inspiring, as well as loyal and trustworthy, just to name a few traits.

William

William2006 on November 17, 2006 at 11:14 AM

Can Elizabeth actually dub someone Jedi Knight? I suppose Sir Alec Guiness is the closest anyone has gotten.

Coyote D. on November 17, 2006 at 11:22 AM

Great,

I posted an Olberman related post under this Jedi Knight thread rather than under the Return Fire commentary by Michelle Malkin thread.

Sorry.

I posted it over at Return Fire where it belongs.

William

William2006 on November 17, 2006 at 11:28 AM

William2006

Err… We have a heretic! That would be “Younglings” not “tiny Jedi Knights.”

Mig on November 17, 2006 at 11:49 AM

Fun.

William2006 on November 17, 2006 at 10:58 AM

La dee da! But can you do the Five Finger Death Punch from kill bill? I’ve mastered it. I just point a people and laugh, because I know I can kill them in less than a second.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 11:59 AM

Didn’t France jump a century ago?

Touche, mon ami!

robblefarian on November 17, 2006 at 12:08 PM

I’ll say the same thing here about the Jedi Council I yelled at the people waiting in line for PS3’s at Best Buy:

NERDS!

/Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds

A fine scotch on November 17, 2006 at 12:18 PM

All I have to say is…

Mazztek on November 17, 2006 at 12:37 PM

(Hey! Where did my link go??!!??)

Mazztek on November 17, 2006 at 12:37 PM

CliffHanger on November 17, 2006 at 12:53 PM

I like being a Mog.

Part Man, part dog.

I’m my own best friend!

And, My wife is a Drewish Princess also!

Kini on November 17, 2006 at 1:05 PM

Heh, yet strangely it just seemed to fit.

jasnell on November 17, 2006 at 1:42 PM

Dont laugh. I have two boys, ages 6 and 7. One is already a Jedi Knight and the other has, sadly, joined the Dark Side. — CliffHanger

…he’s a *CARE BEAR*!?

Egads…I hate those insipid little vermin…get the boy therapy, quickly…who knows what that’ll do to his voting registration later on….

Puritan1648 on November 17, 2006 at 1:43 PM

CliffHanger on November 17, 2006 at 12:53 PM

As Yoda would tell you: You have another…

allie on November 17, 2006 at 2:42 PM

The Jedi from I-III were actually agents of Facism.

Well, as I consider all auditors to actually be fascists, I figured it went without saying.

armylawyer on November 17, 2006 at 3:11 PM

The Jedi order is corrupt, degraded and impotent, unable to protect the people against real and imminent threats. Join the Sith resistance!

Come on, people. Lucas’ “Jedi Order” is just a thoughtless hodgepodge of philosophy. Anger make you evil? Sure, Georgie. Loving your family makes you vulnerable to evil? Dude, whatever.

Sure, I mean, I’d love to have a lightsaber and be able to jump 100 feet in the air, run 200mph and levitate airplanes, but other than that, count me out.

Merovign on November 17, 2006 at 3:11 PM

I do wonder what the “UK Branch” of the Jedi Order has as a position on Episode I’s contention that “The Force” is an infectious disease.

Maybe that’s why our Jedi can’t do all that cool stuff, we invented Penicillin.

Merovign on November 17, 2006 at 3:14 PM

I like being a Mog.

Part Man, part dog.

I’m my own best friend!

And, My wife is a Drewish Princess also!

Kini on November 17, 2006 at 1:05 PM

You’ve heard about the dyslexic agnostic? Doesn’t think there’s a dog. Ok, it’s getting late and I’m really tired…

honora on November 17, 2006 at 3:30 PM

How dare they call themselves Jedi? I’ll bet not a single one has constructed a functional light saber!

Blacklake on November 17, 2006 at 3:50 PM

I agree the Jedi were essentially corrupt and fascist as seen in EP1-3, they had a disdain for the elected Republic. Just because they were agaisnt an evil monarchy/authoritarianism doesn’t mean thier code was perfect.

Resolute on November 17, 2006 at 8:05 PM

This is why Europe is though, this is why they don’t wanna fight the REAL enemy (islamic extremism) because they live in Fantasyland where they pretend to fight the Sith. Who cares about the real world when you can snuggle yourself in the warm blanket of escapism?

If these dorks … I’m sorry, that was insensative, if these GEEKS are the “peacekeepers of the galaxy” then let’s put them in Iraq to stabilize the situation and seperate the sunnis and shi’ites. How long would THAT last?

Tony737 on November 17, 2006 at 9:39 PM

Also, why do they “demand” recognition? Why don’t they just use their jedi mind trick to *make* the govt recognize them? Oh, that’s right, THEY’RE NOT JEDI’S!

Losers.

Tony737 on November 17, 2006 at 9:44 PM

Kini:

And, My wife is a Drewish Princess also!

Funny. She doesn’t look Drewish.

Yup….I’m a geek.