Digg it: How you can help conservative blogs; Update: Readers weigh in

posted at 11:44 am on November 17, 2006 by Allahpundit

I’ve been meaning to write about this for awhile and now lazy Friday’s given me the chance.

People occasionally e-mail us asking for a PayPal button so that they can donate. That’s kind of them, but there are other ways to help the site that don’t require quite so much largesse. For one thing, you can buy stuff at the HA store and get something for your money in return.

Alternatively, what you can do is sign up at Digg and start putting the “Digg It” button on your favorite conservative blogs to use. There’s one at the end of every post on this site — and at MM’s site, and at LGF and Ace of Spades, to take just three other prominent examples. (There’s none at Instapundit. He’s sort of a one-man Digg anyway, so it’d be redundant.) You’re not limited to sites with the Digg button, either; you can manually enter the URL of any blog post or news article that catches your fancy and add that to the Digg roster.

I mention this because (a) Digg is increasingly important as a news source, and (b) as of right now, its political channel is dominated by liberals. I see stuff on the charts there from Media Matters, Crooks & Liars, and, especially, Think Progress all the time; with two exceptions, I’ve never seen a post from a conservative blog. Which tells me either you guys aren’t using it, which is a shame since the popular articles are endlessly interesting, or you are using it and have never read anything Diggworthy on any right-wing blog. Which is unlikely.

Having said all that, if you do sign up for an account, please use discretion in deciding which posts to Digg. Digging everything you read is not only an abuse of their site but defeats its purpose as a news filter by burying the wheat under chaff. Stick to stuff that’s genuinely newsworthy. Or creative.

I leave you with the words of Robert Cox, proprietor of OlbermannWatch.com, writing last month about the boss’s run-in with YouTube:

It may not matter who manufacturers your radio since all points on the dial are equally accessible and the choice is tiny compared to the number of Web sites, but on the Internet, where popularity is often directly proportional to technological acumen and popularity, once achieved, breeds more popularity, who builds what means everything.

Malkin may have been the first casualty in the coming information war but she certainly will not be the last. Yet online conservative elites seem not to care. They fail to realize that voters are increasingly accessing news and information from these new media sources and that these sources are using their editorial discretion to publish and promote a liberal — not conservative — agenda.

Still think it doesn’t matter? Just ask Michelle.

Update: Phin at the Phish Bowl has a post explaining how to install the Digg button on your site.

Update: Digg this!

Update: Reader Jenn S. e-mails:

[T]here is no shortage of conservative blog articles posted to sites like Digg, Deli.cio.us, Reddit, etc.. There is, however, a shortage of conservative users that spend enough time these sites to Digg the conservative articles on a daily basis.

At the suggestion last summer of Michelle, I joined Digg, and have been faithfully posting articles, and building a network of “friends” on the site. I even learned met a fellow Digger online who helped me set my blog up correctly so that I can post blog articles to the other social network sites. I post articles from Michelle Malkin, David Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Townhall, Human Events, etc…

But, inspite of the fact that I have almost 300 friends, and about 100 “mutual” friends, my posts almost never get more than 20-30 diggs, and that’s not enough go get to the front page. And then, of course, certain Blogs, like Michelle’s, are automatically “buried” by a bunch of Malkin-haters that run like a pack.

If conservative bloggers are ever going to make a difference on sites like Digg, we’re going to have to get organized, and take time to not only “post” stories, but go in and spend some time daily “digging,” each other’s stories.

Comments

I thought I would take this chance, to make a quick notice, I’m starting a conservative blog directory, where people are going to be able to freely search and find blogs. Blog owners will be able to register an account and add information about their blog, with potentially lots of details. I hope to have the site up and running within a month. If anyone is interested in helping, please send me an email: [email protected]

The site is called Right Tracker and there is nothing there yet. Let me know if this sounds like a good idea, or if I’m wasting my time :)

tnculp on November 17, 2006 at 11:50 AM

Oh, the main focus of the site will be to connect conservatives that are new to “blogosphere” to find there way to like-minded blogs, or local bloggers in their state or city.

tnculp on November 17, 2006 at 11:51 AM

I got the digg option on my posts but haven’t pushed it for a while. It was hard to get my own post recognized, and I noticed Malkin’s and Little Green Football’s posts would get knocked down soon after they made front page.

frankj on November 17, 2006 at 11:52 AM

I’m investing in carrier pigeons.

sonnyspats1 on November 17, 2006 at 11:53 AM

Digg is dominated by children. Those children will not help your blog at all. they will read the post, never come back, then trash it on digg. I’m not sure how this is helpful?

The way to help conservative blogs is to teach those bloggers who to rank well in google and other engines.

Starting with how to make blog entry titles. While they are cute sometimes, making them actual keywords would help bring traffic. Etc Etc Etc.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 11:54 AM

posts would get knocked down soon after they made front page.

Diggers can knock down entries by marking them as bogus or spam. Since most the diggers are liberal, it tends to happen to conservative entries. Social-networks like Digg are bad places for conservatives, unless you can get a good digg profile (with good history) or something that will help you.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 11:56 AM

All the more reason for conservatives to sign up in large numbers.

Allahpundit on November 17, 2006 at 11:57 AM

Its more difficult than that, Allah. Digg ranks users based upon how many other people like their comments. So, if you are a conservative, as you post comments to improve your ranking, people will mark you down as well, thus lessening your ability to raise posts overall. Unless you got, say 100-200 people together and always approved of each other’s comments (not sure how Digg checks this, if it does at all), then you are still pissin’ in the wind.

I think your best opportunity is Google/MSN/Yahoo personally. No major hurdles to getting traffic there, other than know-how. No one else to rely on, but yourself.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 12:02 PM

If I score well in Google, it just gets me hate comments, such an old post I had that was highly ranked by Google for “different types of governments.” I’m sorry I didn’t help you with your high school paper!

As for Digg, I had this stalker troll I finally banned from comments because he was just taking up so much space (writes like five pages each time to say the exact same thing). He then kept nominating my posts to Digg to make fun of them, and something that has been submitted to Digg can’t be resubmitted with a better description (I think).

frankj on November 17, 2006 at 12:02 PM

Why would Hotair want to make a splash at Digg? Digg is over-run by half-wits and adolescents with little or no regard for the truth, and wouldn’t know the meaning of… oh, yer – I see… Carry on.

eminuu on November 17, 2006 at 12:03 PM

Id personally prefer the Conservebloggers to start organizing a more grassroots attempt to get great conservative candidates elected to office all over this country.

The PTB in Washington pick our candidates far too many times. We get too many Foleys and Rinos like Chafee because of insider politics in Washington.

Id like to see our bloggers start posting information about great conservative candidates and positions all over. A simple research can turn up lots of info and sharing it with readers would be an great help.

KOS has no trouble backing moonbat nutcases for office and giving them a shot like Lamont. Conservative Bloggers certainly should have a much easier time find SANE rational and good candidates we can back and spreading the word about them.

They got organized and beat us. Id like to see us return the favor.

William Amos on November 17, 2006 at 12:06 PM

A great SEO tip, Digg articles that are sure to tick off the opposition. The more buzz it gets, the more link backs it will receive which only means more traffic. Remember, there’s no such thing as bad publicity…kinda.

tnculp on November 17, 2006 at 12:07 PM

Been signed up for a while. I use the Digg button here and at other sites when I read a good post. I used it even more when I found out it was over-run with liberals. I know they love seeing Michelle’s name over there.

Cary on November 17, 2006 at 12:07 PM

That’s a problem, to be sure. But I am not talking about ranking for “different types of governments” as a search phrase (though I gotta read that entry, I’m sure its funny). I’m talking about ranking for terms like “media bias”, “abortion” “government spending” etc. It’s all very doable.

I don’t have a political blog (or really a blog that I update normally) but I do own several retail sites that rank EXTREMELY well in the search engines because I know how to do it.

If I relied on digg traffic to get my site out there, I’d be wasting my time. Why deal with filtered traffic, when you get the whole enchilada.

Even a bunch of conservative blogs working together to make http://www.democrats.org rank for things such as “eats babies” or “surrender” or what not. Possibilities are endless. And all are doable.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 12:08 PM

I wrote a post a while back on how to add a digg button to your site. It’s targeted for movable type blogs since there are plugins to handle it for WordPress.

If anybody had any quesions about how to setup the link on their site let me know I’ll be glad to help.

phineas g. on November 17, 2006 at 12:09 PM

Doesnt work either. I have been fighting a rearfuard action on Yahoo for example. They have the same kind of nominating features that other sites have. I have seen them swarm anti bush and anti republican stories and build them up so high. And strike down any anti democrat stories with impunity.

And will add Yahoo is also used by a LOT of foreigners. The only polls are so badly manipulated by overseas moonbats that its pathetic. Add to this the fact that I see pro jihadist or anti Israeli stories also being given very high marks. Its clear that many foreigners are manipulating the news on major sites with the recomend feature. Its a major epidemic all over MSM and mainstream sites.

William Amos on November 17, 2006 at 12:11 PM

LORIEN, i think search engine attractioin is a serious problem for the right. that is perhaps the first order of business. consistantly the only non-leftwing source that ever ends up in the top ten for any given search term is free republic. whatever they’re doing, they’re doing it right.

but being on digg, youtube, using technoratti tags, having an rss feed for your site, and even cross-posting to myspace and friendster are also extremely important.
when i begin the big rennovation at my blog, i’ll be including all of these thing.

you wouldn’t happen to have an educational link for the search engine thing, would you?

jummy on November 17, 2006 at 12:12 PM

HA Store, huh?

Where’s the “Six Days, B” t-shirt?

Slublog on November 17, 2006 at 12:12 PM

I’m not sure what you are referring to? Search Engines or Digg/360/Reddit?

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 12:13 PM

All the more reason for conservatives to sign up in large numbers.

Allahpundit on November 17, 2006 at 11:57 AM

One number added.

thirteen28 on November 17, 2006 at 12:15 PM

tnculp, make it and i’ll sign up.

jummy on November 17, 2006 at 12:20 PM

If you are posting a blog entry on your blog and then reposting that same entry on myspace. Ugh. Do NOT do that. Blogs have a special problem too, that there is a lot of cross linking, which google (in particular) hates. I wish I had a good (singular) source for you all to read on how to rank in google. This is probably the best I can do right now.

Read this and memorize it. If you do not understand something there, look it up. Nothing about google’s algorithm is hidden, some of it is confusing, but none of its that difficult to understand.

I’ll even use this page as a good example. This page uses CSS (good). This page puts the CSS markup in the source (bad) – make it an external file. Speed up page load, google loves that. Little things like this make a huge difference.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 12:21 PM

tnculp, for your directory, you may want to import data from Blogopedia and Wikablog.

Typewriter King on November 17, 2006 at 12:22 PM

Most conservative blogs haven’t optimized their sites to target keywords. If anyone is interested in some tips, let me know, I’ll be glad to share some SEO tips.

tnculp on November 17, 2006 at 12:23 PM

there’s just no point in being “strategic” about it. just sign up for these things and use them. its not like there’s some magic bullet solution where you install this script or choose those keywords and suddenly your perspective dominates the bandwidth. it is a community thing. participating in a community isn’t the same thing as communism, i swear.

jummy on November 17, 2006 at 12:25 PM

… please use discretion in deciding which posts to Digg. Digging everything you read is not only an abuse of their site but defeats its purpose as a news filter by burying the wheat under chaff.

Unfortunately, this is exactly why you will never find any conservative sites listed on Digg. The liberal blogs actually INSTRUCT their readers to Digg EVERYTHING … and they do. Liberals beat us on the internet because they are radical and aggressive in their tactics and they actually work as a group to change things.

We do not. We sit in here and complain about their fanatical actions and lose while we’re patting ourselves on the back for being more civilized.

Same thing with the immigration debate. They are out on the streets marching, protesting, and doing what it takes to impact policy. Meanwhile, we conservatives have a tough time getting 50 people to show up at a Boycott Miller event.

While liberals are pacifists when it comes to real war … they kick our ass when it comes to political activism. We will continue to lose until we find a way to motivate ourselves into taking action in ways other than using a keyboard.

Gregor on November 17, 2006 at 12:25 PM

I’m afraid that Digg is nearly a lost cause for conservatives. It is SO dominated by liberals that it is almost impossible for any conservative leaning posting to make it to the ‘front page’. I’m not sure of how Digg’s algorithms work, but it seems that there is a small coterie of posters whose posts invariably zoom to the top. That plus the fetid swamp of the insane comments posted on Digg make it a very unfriendly place for conservatives. I’ve pretty much given up banging my head against the wall there.

GEC on November 17, 2006 at 12:28 PM

i went to the ha store but you didn’t have duty-free smokes there so you get nothing from me. good day sir.

>SLAM

jummy on November 17, 2006 at 12:28 PM

I’ve brought this up before, too. Conservatives complain too much – google doesn’t rank me, google is biased. No, it’s not. If you want to beat your competition (liberals are the competition), you have to work harder at it. I wish conservatives would work harder instead of moaning that the system works against them. Roles are oddly reversed in this way.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 12:28 PM

Thanks Typewriter King. Except I’m hoping this will be a more Web 2.0 directory experiment. Lots of details, categories, location, video, audio, newsfeeds, etc. I’ve actually got it setup to let users add their newsfeed and it displays their most recent entries in their profile.

tnculp on November 17, 2006 at 12:29 PM

Aww I feel kind of bad for you guys. Google, Digg, youtube, Yahoo…the whole Internet is controlled by evil, liberal, jihadist sympathziers and they won’t let you play in their sandbox. Have you considered starting your own internet? All you need are some tubes…

JaHerer22 on November 17, 2006 at 12:29 PM

It infuriates me that when you search for “9/11” 6 of the top 10 sites are conspiracy sites. No wonder people think the conspiracy is true.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 12:30 PM

Gregor on November 17, 2006 at 12:25 PM

CONCUR!!

That is the problem, beautifully stated, of EVERYTHING WRONG WITH CONSERVATIVES. WE ARE TOO DAMNED NICE!!

seejanemom on November 17, 2006 at 12:35 PM

Ah well I resgistered on Dig and will give my support. It might be futile but I will fight the battle with them. I urge others to do the same.

They are more organized is true. But that doesnt change the NEED to counter them. I will not give up my right to express my beiws simply because a bunch of little kiddies can click their computers over and over again.

If I can ask or brave troops to face the enemy overseas the least I can do is fight the enemies over here.

William Amos on November 17, 2006 at 12:35 PM

I feel this common sense advice will fall on deaf ears. Site optimization? eh? Keywords? Wuh-huh? SEO? Egads?

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 12:38 PM

Maybe what would really help is to get some conservatives to become well-educated web designers and engineers. Have you ever considered, and I’m sure you haven’t, that the reason the media and the internet are controlled by liberals is because these positions generally require intelligent, highly educated people?

In the last election 60%+ of those with bachelor’s degrees voted democratic while 70% of those with master’s or doctorates voted for the party. Say what you will about the liberal elites, but being elite does have it’s advantages.

JaHerer22 on November 17, 2006 at 12:39 PM

I’d love to know where you came up with this stat, other than out of your ass.

Last I checked … voter registrations do not ask for your education level.

Gregor on November 17, 2006 at 12:43 PM

JaHerer22 on November 17, 2006 at 12:39 PM

Bull I have seen those countering Conservatives on these sites. Most of them are still in HIGH School.

And FYI I have two degrees. I didnt vote for democrats.

The problem is that they use the subculture very well. From MSM rants to Rap artists preaching their veiws to blogs and sites that run unending conspiracy theories and other lib garbage.

This is why I think it is difficult to compete against them. I have fought a long and hard battle on many sites against the proliferation of this subculture and its propaganda. And its a losing battle.

We need to do what happened with fox news. conservative knew they would enver take over CBS or the NY Times or the Washington Post. So they just created a new news organization seperate from the others. I dont know why we dont build a competing system rather than try and take on Goggle or other liberal sites that will just stiffle any attempts to counter their veiws.

We need alternatives not hostile takeovers.

William Amos on November 17, 2006 at 12:45 PM

Ha. You’ve never met a television reporter, have you?

Slublog on November 17, 2006 at 12:50 PM

gregor,

there’s a lot of truth to that.

what must be kept in mind though is that while some things sort of define activism, such as crafting and promoting positions and networking groups and individuals, other things which are identified as “activism” are really just leftwing, and not things we should want to emulate. “direct action” for instance.

i was with protest warrior for a time and i came to believe that there were some intrinsic qualities of the right which barrred the participation of more than a couple dozen in any answer-style demonstration. for one, we’re not largely urban, so there was no way to really have the kinds of regular meetings which give rise to large demonstrations. even amongst the left in this city, the suburban groups organize distinctly from the city proper, even though the lefty political activity in the city proper casts a large gravitational field. people simply won’t travel more than 15 miles to stand outside with a sign foor 3 hours, and are even less likely to show up at any sort of planning meeting. hense, righties, dispersed throughout the suburbs won’t march.

jummy on November 17, 2006 at 12:51 PM

Of course that stat came out of my ass…but I bet it’s close. 80% of statements of fact around here are directly from someone’s ass so why not?

I know why…maybe it has something to do with the $20+ billion it would cost.

JaHerer22 on November 17, 2006 at 12:51 PM

I know why…maybe it has something to do with the $20+ billion it would cost.

Google didn’t have $20-billion to start. It started as a stanford project (free) and got notoriety through word of mouth at the start and took off from there.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 12:54 PM

Allah,

Do you guys have the Hot Air Infant Creeper but for adults?

I think Ace’s birthday is coming up.

Rosetta on November 17, 2006 at 12:55 PM

Of course that stat came out of my ass…but I bet it’s close.

JaHerer22

Wow. This is what we’re dealing with.

Gregor on November 17, 2006 at 12:58 PM

If you use WordPress for blogging download the DiggClick Plugin, this is a totally awsome and simple-to-use plugin!

Rudeseal on November 17, 2006 at 1:00 PM

Allah, you don’t see conservative blogs from HA, MM make it to the front page. Ever. But if you look in the upcoming, you’ll see just about every article from HA and MM gets submitted. The problem is with digg itself. Their system is being gamed big-time and the liberals get help from the moderators. I’ve personally had a submission completely “disappear”. It started getting some diggs and comments in the upcoming section, then *boom* gone. No where to be found except via direct link.

p0s3r on November 17, 2006 at 1:09 PM

In the last election 60%+ of those with bachelor’s degrees voted democratic while 70% of those with master’s or doctorates voted for the party. — JaHerer22

…you say “educated”, I say “indoctrinated”…let’s call the whole thing off…

One can be educated and *STILL* be naive.

You can also go all the way through a degree program with a closed mind, being taught by ideologues with equally closed minds.

It all depends on the type of education you receive.

Education isn’t the key. Mental activity, keeping the eyes and ears open is the key. Do that, and every day is an education.

…what? Hot and cold running homosexuals?

Puritan1648 on November 17, 2006 at 1:09 PM

Me too.

Allah, Could you add something to the home page to let us know when a HA or MM article has been added to digg so we can go support it. Any of us posting on digg can take the extra time to notify you.

roydee43 on November 17, 2006 at 1:09 PM

The problem is that Digg has a button that allows readers to “bury” the article. That’s how liberals dominate it. They not only Digg every single liberal article, but they purposely attack every conservative article by clicking the “bury” button.

Gregor on November 17, 2006 at 1:17 PM

…the reason the media and the internet are controlled by liberals is because these positions generally require intelligent, highly educated people?…

JaHerer22 on November 17, 2006 at 12:39 PM

Haven’t heard such bull pucky in a while. It’s not because theyre ‘intelligent’ or ‘highly educated’ – it’s because they’re liberal! Most of the time they no nothing at all but it doesn’t prevent them from writing articles or spout on TV programs about the most ‘secretive’ programs, just because their 3rd cousin removed works in some government department. Also “educated” should mean much more than that!

There will always be more Pauls than Peters. The key is to raise the Pauls’ incomes and awareness at how they are blinded by the idealistic, utopic and guilty Peters.

Entelechy on November 17, 2006 at 1:20 PM

Correction – s/b

It’s not because they’re ‘intelligent’ or ‘highly educated’ – it’s because they’re liberal! Most of the time they know nothing”

Entelechy on November 17, 2006 at 1:22 PM

Does anyone know anything about the political leanings of the two groups who just bought out Clear Channel?

Thomas H. Lee Partners LLC and Bain Capital Partners LLC

Gregor on November 17, 2006 at 1:23 PM

Conservatives ARE too nice. You should read Robert Cox’s complete piece that AP linked. If that doesn’t scare conservatives into action I don’t know what will. What action? I’m not knowledgeable enough to say but if what happened to Michelle is not seen as a harbinger for things to come then conservatives are in trouble.

Bic on November 17, 2006 at 1:27 PM

I’m sorry about my “liberals are more educated” post. It’s clearly straight from my ass. I just saw how what’s his name, Gregbooke or something, pushed your buttons so easily and I thought it would be fun. And it was, a little too easy, but still fun. No more absurd comments just to elicit reponse though, promise.

JaHerer22 on November 17, 2006 at 1:53 PM

From the story:

Isn’t the real problem that conservatives have jobs and liberals are always unemployed?

If we are pulling stats out of our ass these days, I thought I’d just throw that one up on the wall ;)

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 2:01 PM

The funny thing about JaHerer22 and his attempt to post made up stats in here …

That actually works in the liberal blogs. They simply make stuff up, post it, and they all start screaming, yelling, and spreading it around like a disease.

What JaHerer just found out was that we actually deal with reality here. We don’t simply see something and assume it’s true. Now he can go back to Kos and Olby where he’s comfortable.

Say hello to Grebrook for us.

Gregor on November 17, 2006 at 2:06 PM

Allah, Im a consistant Digg submitter of both HA and MM along with Jenn S. and a few others but the truth is there seems to be an army of liberals watching for every submission from either and immediately digg them down. It’s a testament to thier mentality but none the less a pain in the A**

Viper1 on November 17, 2006 at 2:09 PM

I’m a little uneducated about the internets and blogs and such, but why not join the Gulagosphere? It’s great fun!

Thanks for the Digg info, Allah, I’ve been wondering what that button did.

NTWR on November 17, 2006 at 2:10 PM

I just joined with a liberal-sounding name and password. Hopefully that will throw the brown shirts off. Try something like: peace warrior or earth lvr…

NTWR on November 17, 2006 at 2:16 PM

Or Allah !!!

db on November 17, 2006 at 3:09 PM

The author is correct. However, the reason that many “conservative” blog readers such as myself don’t bother with Digg is because it’s too much like reading (or trolling if that’s your thing) DU, Kos, and HuffPo–something I don’t really care to do.

I’d rather spend my time reading thoughtful, intelligent, well-stated arguments on “conservative” blogs such as this one rather than endure the endless screeching: “but but but Bush LIED!,” “Israel is Zionist pigs!,” “Hezbollah are freedom fighters!,” “Jihadis are really peaceful and wouldn’t bother us if we just left them alone,” as well as the obligatory “This article is Republican propaganda–bury bury bury!” garbage at Digg.

Let’s be realistic. Conservative readers are not going to change Digg. You can’t have a rational discussion with someone who covers their ears and screams “HateBushHateBushHateBush” when you try to talk to them. A “click war” is futile against an army of pot-brain liberal ideologues sitting in their parents’ basement or university professor office clicking “Bury” with all 100 of their sockpuppet accounts. Once conservatives Diggers get sick of digging posts up and seeing them re-buried over and over, as well as trying to “discuss” a point of view with the aforementioned esteemed Digg users, rational people will say “Screw it, this is juvenile. I have better things to do like read HotAir” and quit.

The difference is that the liberal ideologues can’t quit. This sort of thing is their modus operandi: Scream and obstruct until you get your way—just like the Mother Moonbat that has been sitting outside the White House for the last few years with her bullhorn. The problem is that there are really only two was to oppose this tactic: Ignore them and let them eventually self-destruct or resort to violence. Of course neither option is especially tasteful, but one is more tasteful than the other.

Would it be “nice” to see Digg or other user-driven blog-link sites to favor conservative articles and blogs? Sure. But let’s be realistic—the current sites are liberal fortresses well defended inside and out with Mother Moonbat and Michael Moore nutroot clones, complete with bullhorns with the volume knob super-glued in the “max” position as well as the mike key super-glued on. You would probably have better luck getting Chris Matthews to agree that the economy is good.

Really, my point is that good conservative blogs can stand on their own. Let the merits of the site and its authors and users stand for themselves. Link to other blogs you believe in. HatTip when appropriate. HotAir is doing great work by having guest posters and hosts from other blogs, even liberals like KP on “The Vent” panel.

I learned of this site a few days before it’s launch because I heard MM plug it during an interview on the G. Gordon Liddy show. Fox news is mentioning it, as well as LGF more regularly now. MKH and La Shawn Barber both have appeared on CNN. As AP knows well, Drudge links are probably the best advertising around.

I’m not saying “Don’t Digg.” If Digging is your thing, then by all means go for it. What I am saying is don’t worry about trying to get those with deaf ears and numb skulls to credit you. They won’t, and don’t let it bother you.

mojojojo on November 17, 2006 at 3:42 PM

Digg my posting of the glenn beck “Exposed: Extremist Agenda” show here.

thanks

futbol4 on November 17, 2006 at 3:43 PM

Most conservatives actually have jobs.

Chas on November 17, 2006 at 3:45 PM

I agree with your post overall, but not this. You need to market your site, no matter what you are doing – retail, opinion, whatever. Letting things stand on their own means you will be standing alone.

lorien1973 on November 17, 2006 at 3:54 PM

We talked about DIGG some months ago when it was added to this site (& Michelles). It just takes a moment, look to see if hotair or MM is already dugg, a duplicate , maybe you just digg it then. Start a new post if its not a duplicate. This is an avenue to get the real world out in front of thousands if not millions of people. We hear “how can we?” all the time….this is but one way to be heard and seen.

DIGG IT , Often.

shooter on November 17, 2006 at 3:58 PM

Diggdom is a place for wisecracking teenagers who have nothing to do but parrot outlandish liberal thinking. I have been Digging for six months and I think I had six or seven “friends”. Any post from MM was shot down immediately as “spam”. I think I got one post to the front page out of hundreds of tries. It is going to take a large group of Diggers to make a difference. Diggdom was started for a bunch of techy nerds and there remnants are still there. Just go by Digg and read some of the nonsense that is posting and Dugg and you’ll see what I mean.

d1carter on November 17, 2006 at 4:13 PM

Futbol4, I just added a comment at your Digg and promptly saw the previous commenters dugg down. The kiddies are back!

DannoJyd on November 17, 2006 at 4:39 PM

Can’t I just send a check. I do have a job to do.

Rustyw on November 17, 2006 at 4:47 PM

Danno & futbol,
I added both of you to my Friends and Dugg you both-now I feel all warm and cuddly inside!
Aaawwwwww…
Your friend,
peacelvr

now Digg me back-dammit!

NTWR on November 17, 2006 at 6:36 PM

Let me clarify: When I said “…stand on their own,” I was not advocating to stop advertising the site. What I was stating is that a good blog doesn’t need popularity votes in a “democracy” of partisans (in other words Digg), to prove that it is worthwhile. Would that be nice? Sure it would, and it might drive some traffic, but a site should prove its worthiness by its merits, not by stuffing an electronic ballot box.

Consider this: Why do you think that the American Family Association (a faith-based conservative values group) doesn’t try to gain members by advertising in The Nation magazine?? Obviously, because the AFA knows that their advertising dollar and resources could be better spent reaching people that DO share their values, rather then trying to simply stir up The Nation readers.

Simply put: Do not cast your pearls before a swine.

mojojojo on November 17, 2006 at 7:06 PM

CARDEMUM SEED VULVA

NAMBLAPITCH-R

IDOCOMMERCIALGRAPHICDESIGNBUTTELLMYDATESI’MAN
ARTIST

jummy on November 17, 2006 at 7:45 PM

mojojojo,

maybe what can happen is we just put all of these different things up on the same agenda and individuals can elect for themselves whether, say, joining the click war at digg is something they’d enjoy. i know i get into netwar on a level others find frivolous, but which i know matter.

jummy on November 17, 2006 at 7:51 PM

They beat us on the internet because we have real jobs, while they spend 24/7 in Mom’s basement Digging every sockpuppet post they see.

Freelancer on November 17, 2006 at 8:03 PM

AP,

You’re free to pass my email to tnculp if he asks.

tnculp, I’d be willing to offer some assistance with your RightTracker site. Let me know.

Freelancer on November 17, 2006 at 8:05 PM

I think HotAir’s somewhat elitist approach to membership is worth considering as part of the basis for an alternative to Digg. Anyone is welcome to watch and read here at HotAir, but the site’s owners have gone to some trouble to avoid letting just any piece of trash become a commenter. For that reason, the comments maintain a relatively high level of interest and a relatively low level of annoyance. There must be a way to improve on Digg’s basis in direct democracy. Think of the institutional “machinery” in the U.S. Constitution, such as the three-way separation of powers, the division of the Congress into an upper house and a lower house, and the original selection of Senators by state legislatures. There was also the failed attempt to raise the level of deliberation in Presidential elections by putting them in the hands of the Electoral College. Even the means of choosing the Electoral College were left to the discretion of state legislatures; that is, popular election of the Electoral College isn’t constitutionally mandated.

Contrast all that with the mob rule at Digg. Imagine the United States if its Constitution were along the lines of Digg’s design. Now imagine an alternative to Digg, with a republican constitution instead of direct democracy.

Kralizec on November 17, 2006 at 9:29 PM

Freelancer on November 17, 2006 at 8:03 PM

Naaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh ………………………. one of the liberals created the internet, remember?

Emmett J. on November 18, 2006 at 1:06 AM

Kralizec,

i like the way you’re thinking on this. and might i say that that is a lovely blog you have there.

jummy on November 18, 2006 at 1:19 AM

Your friend,
peacelvr

now Digg me back-dammit!

NTWR on November 17, 2006 at 6:36 PM

Peacelvr, eh? Dun Dug it, and then some.

DannoJyd on November 18, 2006 at 4:15 AM

Another day dawns, and it is time to get back to doing the jobs that real Americans don’t want to do.

DannoJyd on November 18, 2006 at 2:09 PM

We can bury the nutroots stuff, too. That should help. Or is there some reason it won’t?

JimC on November 18, 2006 at 10:52 PM

It will be tough for the same reason that digging stuff is tough — we’re outnumbered. But, definitely, I’m going to work that side of it, too. … So, much of their stuff really deserves to be buried! Deep!

kace on November 19, 2006 at 2:56 PM

It may be an uphill battle on digg, but better to keep fighting it. You can’t just abandon one front of the war. It shouldn’t be an SEO or digg thing, but definitely both.

digg may be the king of the hill right now, but there are many other sites that do something similar. Just to name a few I’ve heard of: del.icio.us, technorati, bloglines, reddit, fark, furl. One tech site I frequent has a row of 15 icons for linking/marking via third party sites at the bottom of every post. Many of these are going to try to differentiate themselves via logic. So, if digg is rigg-ed, then the alternative is probably out there somewhere already.

kace on November 19, 2006 at 3:05 PM

I continue to do the work that Americans don’t want to do. Feel free to join in the discussion on Digg about how Senior Democrat renews call for military draft

DannoJyd on November 19, 2006 at 3:34 PM

The Left is organized and funded. The Right is not. Find Benefactors.

TheBigOldDog on November 19, 2006 at 6:33 PM