Breaking: Milton Friedman dies at age 94

posted at 12:33 pm on November 16, 2006 by Allahpundit

Just across at CNBC. Libertarian flags fly at half-mast.

Update: Here’s Friedman’s autobiography at the Nobel page. And here’s archived video of him at Google from a program called “Open Mind.” The person who posted it calls it “the best case for limited government ever made.” His passing at this particular moment, with the Republican leadership in the state that it is, is fitting.

Click the image to watch.

friedman.jpg

Update: “Quick get the Mallet and THE WOODEN STAKE.”

Comments

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Well, I suppose it happens to all of us. RIP Milton.

Keljeck on November 16, 2006 at 12:36 PM

I question the timing.

Bush is obviously willing to stop at nothing to deliberately crush the spirits of his own party.

Watcher on November 16, 2006 at 12:36 PM

This news makes me want to punch Paul Krugman.

Rosetta on November 16, 2006 at 12:42 PM

Not just libertarian flags, but fiscal conservative flags as well.

Rest in peace, Mr. Friedman.

steveegg on November 16, 2006 at 12:42 PM

This news makes me want to punch Paul Krugman

Any news makes me want to punch Paul Krugman.

Rest in peace, dear Sir.

robblefarian on November 16, 2006 at 12:44 PM

Not just libertarian flags, but fiscal conservative flags as well.

Rest in peace, Mr. Friedman.

steveegg on November 16, 2006 at 12:42 PM

Absolutely. Friedman was somebody for whom a wide swath of libertarians and conservatives could get behind (much to Ryan Sanger’s chagrin).

RIP, Milton.

thirteen28 on November 16, 2006 at 12:44 PM

Brilliant man- self-described “libertarian Republican.” (Small “l”, big “R”)

Valiant on November 16, 2006 at 12:44 PM

I wonder how much MSM coverage this will get. I wonder how many retrospectives and tributes he and his work will receive.

I’ll start holding my breath later.

Rosetta on November 16, 2006 at 1:09 PM

Something makes me doubt Friedman cared about any of the thousands that were murdered under his buddy, Augusto Pinoche. So forgive me for sounding cold, but I can’t bring myself to care about his death.

Grebrook on November 16, 2006 at 1:34 PM

Rosetta – The MSM coverage will include such phrases as “Friedman theorized…alleged…tried to make the case for…was the source of much of the far right’s ideas on…”

If it had been Noam Chompsky, it would be “showed…demonstrated…exposed…uncovered…”

eeyore on November 16, 2006 at 1:35 PM

Milton Friedman was the speaker when I graduated from Virginia Tech in 1977. I’ve been a fan ever since. I only remember one line from his graduation address — “Freedom to succeed also means freedom to fail.”

SicSemperTyrannus on November 16, 2006 at 1:37 PM

Hmm, I actually like “Chompsky” better than Chomsky.

eeyore on November 16, 2006 at 1:38 PM

Something make me doubt Grebrook actually cared when the Wilson government assisted in the deaths of 800,000 Ibos in Biafra, when Chomsky covered up for Pol Pot and Chairman Mao, and when all his buddies praised Stalin.

Those actions were actually support, far different from giving a speech at a university in Santiago.

Authoritarianism killed hundreds of millions of people more than trade between individuals did.

Typewriter King on November 16, 2006 at 1:44 PM

I met Friedman once, back in grad school. (Please don’t ask me how long ago that was, let’s just say I met him before SicSemper did!!!) He was very gracious, almost to the point of making you forget his intimidating intelligence.

honora on November 16, 2006 at 1:45 PM

No insensitivity implied, really, but leave it to a great economist to die the very year that the death tax is at its lowest.

That is CLASS….and TIMING….

seejanemom on November 16, 2006 at 1:47 PM

One of the most striking things about Friedman that I ever learned was the depth of his appeal to young people in developing countries, especially in east Asia. I remember reading something on the Cato Institute website commemorating his 90th birthday which recounted how he was swamped by adoring university students on a visit to China.

It’s sad, and perhaps a sign of things to come, that he has more followers among the younger generation there than he does here.

Mark V. on November 16, 2006 at 1:47 PM

May his soul rest in peace(I speak).

Amen(We all respond).

Ouabam on November 16, 2006 at 1:49 PM

That is CLASS….and TIMING….

seejanemom on November 16, 2006 at 1:47 PM

LOL. (Ok, maybe a teeny bit insensitive but a great line!!)

honora on November 16, 2006 at 1:53 PM

Unless he was on DANCING WITH THE STARS last night, I doubt he has any followers here in America Boobtubeville.

seejanemom on November 16, 2006 at 2:02 PM

A very great man. We owe a special thanks to Phil Donahue for putting Friedman on his show many times to speak out about how capitalism works. It lead the way to Ronald Reagan’s Presidency. In the 70′s I remember how I dreamed of economic stability and extended periods of growth. Thank You Mr. Friedman, these past 26 years have been splendid.

Fritz on November 16, 2006 at 2:03 PM

Why must you depress me.

Mark V. on November 16, 2006 at 2:23 PM

And the vile DU celebrates his death

William Amos on November 16, 2006 at 2:27 PM

Bill Clinton should say a prayer for the man who made it possible for him to preside over Good Times.

The Monster on November 16, 2006 at 2:42 PM

One of the loves of my intellectual life, along with Will Durant and Ayn Rand. Yes, I know how much the gents were supported by Mrs. Friedman and Mrs. Durant.

honora, I also had the privilege to meet him (he lived not far from me, just a bit North, in Southern Calif.) during a speech and a Q&A and chatting afterwards. Same impression.

Grebrook, you are beyond cold. I don’t have time to relate to you about real suffering in communism, from my own experience.

Never, ever, ever, will socialism and communism be better than what Mr. Friedman preached and lived. And no one, but no one, who hasn’t lived it, can tell me differently. Theory and utopia don’t count.

A giant died and we’re forever grateful the world was privileged to have him.

Entelechy on November 16, 2006 at 2:47 PM

None of you so far have metion the Milton and Rose D. Friedman Foundation-one of the biggest voices for school choice.
Dr’s Friedman(yes-both of them) have always been just below God to my husband.
My prayers go out to Mrs. Dr. Friedman.
RIP Sir!

annoyinglittletwerp on November 16, 2006 at 2:49 PM

Here the link.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 16, 2006 at 2:51 PM

Lets try again.

annoyinglittletwerp on November 16, 2006 at 2:51 PM

I’ve got to admit that I’ve never heard of Milton Friedman (product of the public school system), but after watching that I will have to investigate some more.

MikeyB on November 16, 2006 at 3:27 PM

Currently reading Atlas Shrugged for the 6th time. Sometimes you have to recharge the batteries.

I felt sad of the news. Probably is time to get a supercharge by rereading the Road to Serfdom and Free to Chose.

Comparing Friedman with Krugman is like comparing the Pacific Ocean to a mud puddle.

Heartfelt sympathy to his family.

Wil on November 16, 2006 at 4:13 PM

“Free to Choose”, Friedman’s groundbreaking PBS (PBS!) series about the virtues of liberty changed my life like nothing else I’ve seen on television before or since. I just went through the snippets each of the ten episodes posted on YouTube. Every high school student in the country should be required to watch that show. And everyone else in the country too.

kmcguire on November 16, 2006 at 4:14 PM

Update: “Quick get the Mallet and THE WOODEN STAKE.”

Just feel the love from the party of tolerance and peace.

conservativecaveman on November 16, 2006 at 4:26 PM

You’re absolutely right. I don’t care. Largely because I don’t read Noam Chomsky or sympathize with him.

Grebrook on November 16, 2006 at 5:30 PM

One of the giants on whose shoulders we stand…

R I P

Janos Hunyadi on November 16, 2006 at 6:05 PM

I’m kicking myself for not shelling out the bucks for last year’s NRO cruise, where Milton was a featured speaker.

Damn! I so would’ve liked to have met him.

Kadnine on November 16, 2006 at 6:38 PM

Kadnine, so am I…What a wonderful, brilliant man!
Next to Adam Smith, this man did more to advance capitalism and free-market economies than anyone I can think of.
Thank you for your wisdom and your service to your country and the world!
Rest in peace, good sir!

Jen the Neocon on November 16, 2006 at 6:58 PM

Grebrook on November 16, 2006 at 1:34 PM

WTF???
What in the world?

Somebody’s been borrowing model rocket glue from Christopher Hitchens…without borrowing some of his brains.
Disgraceful.
The Libs never miss an opporutunity to tear down the truly great and move the goal posts.

Jen the Neocon on November 16, 2006 at 7:05 PM

Thank You!! Mr. Friedman.

Jimmy Carter on November 16, 2006 at 7:18 PM

Thank you Milton Friedman.

Even the dry & uninspired treatment of his work in my high school textbook couldn’t disguise the utter superiority of his ideas and understanding of the world.

And I’m still amazed he was with us this long. Life expectancy being what it is, I had only expected him to live another 3 to 5 years after I first came to know about him. Even that would have been a a gift, given his contributions till then.

What a blessing it is – and no small miracle – he was with us until age 94 (and 20 yrs. of my adult life no less). Whoa!

RD on November 16, 2006 at 9:59 PM

Pinochet launched an era of deregulation of business and privatization. To accomplish his objectives, he abolished the minimum wage, rescinded trade union rights, privatized the pension system, state industries, and banks, and lowered taxes on income and profits. Supporters of these policies (most notably Milton Friedman himself) have dubbed them “The Miracle of Chile”, due to the country’s sustained economic growth since the late 1980s.

Friedman did nothing wrong in regard to Pinochet.

Maxx on November 16, 2006 at 11:55 PM

Surprised to see so many Republicans mourning his passing. He was against the invasion of Iraq and against expansion of governmental powers (especially those opportunistically seized during a time of war). Lack of support for those two things are usually deal breakers for Republicans.

Mark Jaquith on November 17, 2006 at 2:20 AM