Video: Michael Steele forgives Trent Lott

posted at 7:35 pm on November 15, 2006 by Allahpundit

If only he and Lott were liberals, what a healing moment this would be. As it is, that clicking you hear is the sound of a thousand copies of Photoshop being booted up on nutroots computers…

He forgives him for the remark at Thurmond’s birthday party; how ’bout for having been a crappy, pork-gorging majority leader?

Comments

Steele=class

Refusing once again to take the bait offered him by the drive-by media.

Freelancer on November 15, 2006 at 7:41 PM

…forgive…don’t forget.

Jeremiah 31:

34 And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

35 Thus says the Lord,
who gives the sun for light by day
and the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night,
who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar—
the Lord of hosts is his name:

…for the Almighty, sins will be forgotten, as if they’d never happened…be covered, as it says in Psalms.

…me? I don’t make any claims of being anything more than one of the Almighty’s creatures…and so, I forgive, but tend to remember ‘em….

Steele’s falling into line.

Puritan1648 on November 15, 2006 at 7:45 PM

Well it’s all in the politics, isn’t it. Good for Steele though. Showing the character we knew he had. I’m still hoping there’s a place for him in the GOP leadership.

thedecider on November 15, 2006 at 7:49 PM

It sounds like Steele knows he’s going to have to work with Lott in the near future. Let the speculative frenzy begin!

I’ll get it started. Three years ago I thought the game-plan for keeping Cheney on the ticket was to set Condi Rice up for a post-2006 shot at the Vice Presidency. Cheney has well-known health problems; it would be impossible to challenge his desire to resign “to spend more time with my family in the few healthy years that I have remaining in my life.” Then the now-seasoned SecState would have the resume to be confirmed.

As it turns out, Secretary Rice has insisted so frequently that she’s not interested in higher office that we have to believe her. And it turns out her time at State may not be so resume-burnishing after all.

Still, Cheney remains a guy with very fragile health. Who might be a candidate for Veep if he resigns? Remember that the VP is the “President of the Senate,” and therefore would have to work closely with Trent Lott. And, unfortunately, Chuck Schumer.

Talk amongst yourselves!

Anton on November 15, 2006 at 7:51 PM

I could support Steele as a VP or in a presidential run… I was impressed with his speech at the convention, his run for the Senate and Michelle likes him. Enough said.

Zorro on November 15, 2006 at 8:08 PM

I don’t believe that Steele would have lent creedance to Lott if he thought that Lott was a racist.

I would like to see Steele put in as VP. Maybe he could give Bush the arse chewing that he deserves.

DannoJyd on November 15, 2006 at 8:13 PM

creedence

DannoJyd on November 15, 2006 at 8:16 PM

McCain to file papers tomorrow to form Presidential exploratory committee

Screw you, John. I will never, never, never vote for you.

Lehuster on November 15, 2006 at 8:21 PM

This is something we should all embrace. I forgive Michelle for saying ‘balls’. Hugs all around.

Kevin M on November 15, 2006 at 8:30 PM

He should move to Florida and run for Governor in 4 years.

roninacreage on November 15, 2006 at 8:32 PM

credence. Sorry, couldn’t help myself, since you were trying to correct it.

And you’re right, Danno. Lott’s comments were innocent, just about as far from racist as you can get while still believing they could be accused of such. I would have preferred if Steele said that it was all foolishness, and there was nothing to forgive.

And as long as Byrd is in the senate, not a word from the LLL about anyone else’s verbal choices as regards race.

Freelancer on November 15, 2006 at 8:35 PM

Steele could not ignore the debacle as that would give the liberals ammo to use against him.

Durn word. That is what happens when you trust your Google spell checker while entertaining your 6 mo. old grandson.

DannoJyd on November 15, 2006 at 8:40 PM

Steele just kicked it on H&C. No wonder they’re so afraid of this guy. Honest. Real. Intelligent. Quick. Vibrant. All the things they are not.

Griz on November 15, 2006 at 9:33 PM

I just got this email today from a friend of Senator Lieberman. Lieberman wants to run for president but he knows he can’t win the D primary because of his war record. So, he will be switching to the Republican Party very soon (this will get media coverage like you have never seen). In January he plans to make his announcement that he is running for president as a republican (this will get even more media coverage like you have never seen).

Next move is, he will let it be known that he would be open to Michael Steele being his VP. The media comes unglued! More free media!

Could happen?

CharlestonCritic on November 15, 2006 at 9:52 PM

Lieberman can’t win the republican primaries. He votes 80-90% democratic. Just because he’s a hawk, doesn’t mean he’s a republican. I detest that argument.

lorien1973 on November 15, 2006 at 11:12 PM

Could happen?

CharlestonCritic on November 15, 2006 at 9:52 PM

Nice try but not going to happen.

Please no way Steele would accept being Liberman’s VP.

Lookup integrity and what it means for the reason why.

F15Mech on November 15, 2006 at 11:28 PM

Did anybody see Steele on “Hannity & Colmes”? I thought it was so cool how he kept his cool when Satan Colmes kept interrupting with snarky questions.

You can tell Satan Colmes really hates the idea of that any black would vote Republican.

Ali-Bubba on November 16, 2006 at 12:36 AM

Tancredo / Steele anyone?

Buzzy on November 16, 2006 at 9:56 AM

Could happen?

CharlestonCritic on November 15, 2006 at 9:52 PM

He would go down big. People are a little chary of such blatant opportunism. Steele is a lovely man though.

honora on November 16, 2006 at 10:45 AM

Steele is a lovely man though.

honora on November 16, 2006 at 10:45 AM

That’s something we can agree on.

His loss was the worst one for me, especially since he was winning for most of the night.

Esthier on November 16, 2006 at 11:26 AM

People are a little chary of such blatant opportunism.

Worked for Jim Webb.

Lehuster on November 16, 2006 at 1:00 PM

People are a little chary of such blatant opportunism.

Worked for Jim Webb.

Lehuster on November 16, 2006 at 1:00 PM

Actually what worked for Jim Webb was his opponent. You can’t always count on your opponent imploding.

honora on November 16, 2006 at 1:14 PM

1. Lieberman has a sense of intellectual integrity, which would prevent him from switching parties. I don’t meant that as a bust on the “R” party, but a recognition of how he has voted in his legislative career. Very high marks from the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, Human Rights Campaign (GLBT Lobbyists), Sierra Club, PIRG (Enviro-wackos), etc.

Lieberman is a liberal, well nigh a socialist. He’s not likely to change his conscience about the issues, so why would he change parties?

2. Steele may not be the paragon of conservatism’s future, but he’s nowhere near moderate enough to end up on a ticket with Joementum. I’d be willing to bet that his position on the issues scored by the above mentioned groups would be almost perfectly opposite of Lieberman, except regarding the military.

Watch for more names to start popping up as Tommy Thompson’s did. Lots of time between now and the ’08 election to find the right candidate.

Tancredo / Steele anyone?

I’d pull that lever if offered. Or Tancredo/Thompson (Fred, not Tommy).

Freelancer on November 16, 2006 at 4:35 PM