ABC News: Abramoff implicates Reid

posted at 2:29 pm on November 15, 2006 by Allahpundit

A former head of the Nevada state gaming commission who’s been previously linked to shady land deals, now accused of corruption? Who could have guessed?

Oh, right. Everyone.

As convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff reported to federal prison today, a source close to the investigation surrounding his activities told ABC News that Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nev.) was one of the members of Congress Abramoff had allegedly implicated in his cooperation with federal prosecutors…

A source close to the investigation says Abramoff told prosecutors that more than $30,000 in campaign contributions to Reid from Abramoff’s clients “were no accident and were in fact requested by Reid.”…

The Associated Press reported earlier this year that Reid wrote at least four letters helpful to the tribes that had contributed money to his campaign…

The AP also reported that Abramoff’s billing records showed extensive contact with Reid’s office over a three-year period in which Reid collected more than $68,000 from Abramoff’s firm, partners and clients.

Reid’s spokesman denies it. According to the Blotter, “an ever larger number of Republican members of Congress,” including outgoing loose-cannon Conrad “Secret Plan” Burns, have also been implicated. Could Trent Lott and Mel Martinez be among them? Hope springs eternal!

Exit question: will panicky Dems, fearful of the “culture of corruption” meme blowing up in their faces, opt now for Hoyer in tomorrow’s House election? The last thing they’d want to do is elect Murtha on a day when questions about Reid’s ethics are plastered on page A1 C35.

Update: Follow the comments to the Blotter’s post.

Update: “Hey, where you going, guys? …Guys?”

stuff.jpg

Comments

Since when have the Dems ever really had to pay for being bad? It is their cultural choice you see, it would be bad PC to call them on it.

bbz123 on November 15, 2006 at 2:33 PM

Wow. Two feel-good stories in a row. Could a trend be developing?

Valiant on November 15, 2006 at 2:33 PM

Someone check his freezer.

infidel on November 15, 2006 at 2:34 PM

I haven’t been this shocked since I found out Britney Spears was no longer a virgin.

Is there nothing we can believe in anymore???

(snort snort … chortle chortle).

thirteen28 on November 15, 2006 at 2:35 PM

Another one bites the dust, dun dun DUNT dunt dunt, another one bites the dust, aaaand another one’s gone and another one’s gone, another one bites the dust, HEY, gonna get you too, another one bites the dust, duuuuuun dunt dunt dunt…

Tony737 on November 15, 2006 at 2:37 PM

Allah, I’m concerned about this comment by you. There was a trace of optimism there. Heed your own previous warnings – don’t go there.

thirteen28 on November 15, 2006 at 2:41 PM

Tony737

Just to keep that theme going, while we are singing that they are singing another Queen song -

I want it all,
I want it all,
I want it all,
and I want it now!

Benaiah on November 15, 2006 at 2:42 PM

You’re right. I got carried away.

I apologize.

Allahpundit on November 15, 2006 at 2:45 PM

Oh please! Oh please! Let Mel Martinez be dirty as Dirty Harry! Get him kicked out of office! PLEASE! I couldn’t be anymore excited for this to break!

Enoxo on November 15, 2006 at 2:46 PM

You’re right. I got carried away.

I apologize.

Allahpundit

Not good enough. I sentence you to 50 lashes with a wet minority’s whip!

Benaiah on November 15, 2006 at 2:49 PM

You’re right. I got carried away.

I apologize.

Allahpundit on November 15, 2006 at 2:45 PM

No need to apologize, just didn’t want you to end up as crushed and demoralized as us former (now reformed) optimists. It’s been a pretty long fall for us in the last week.

thirteen28 on November 15, 2006 at 2:49 PM

Reid’s spokesman denies it.

Well that settles it then, right?

Pablo on November 15, 2006 at 2:50 PM

And I should add that I apologize for any overly stupid jokes as I haven’t slept well in a few days. So long as I amuse myself I figure I’m ok.

Benaiah on November 15, 2006 at 2:50 PM

Say it ain’t so, Reid! Say it ain’t so!

Aren’t there any heroes left!

frankj on November 15, 2006 at 2:51 PM

The Republicans in the Senate should be SCREAMING SCREAMING SCREAMING FOR HARRY TO RESIGN !!!! Show them NO mercy !

stenwin77 on November 15, 2006 at 2:53 PM

Six months ago…
Bush: “Karl, what are we going to do about Abramoff? He keeps on implicating Republicans even though we know he’s got dirt on the Dems too.”

Karl(Dark Lord of the Sith): “Paitence my student, I will use my powers of influence to force Abramoff to release this information when it will be the most damaging to the Democrats.”

Today…
Bush: “At last we will have our revenge.”
Karl: “Hey, will you be quiet. Oh, now look what you did. I was GOING to flood Japan this morning, but you ruined my concentration.”

BohicaTwentyTwo on November 15, 2006 at 2:53 PM

Since there’s a vacancy in the Republican House leadership, I have to ask: Is Bob Michel still alive?

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 15, 2006 at 2:54 PM

WOW if this is the A-Team them Dems are going down fast. Remember RR used to say “You ain’t seen nothin yet” LOL

sonnyspats1 on November 15, 2006 at 3:01 PM

Harry said:

“We have no idea what Abramoff is telling prosecutors to save his skin, but I do know that these kind of old allegations are completely ridiculous and untrue,” Sen. Reid’s spokesman Jim Manley told ABC News.

Right Harry! I’ll bet all of those in jail and being tried said the same thing. Give it up Harry, they’re going to nail your tail.

rplat on November 15, 2006 at 3:02 PM

They don’t have the testicular fortitude to do it. The MSM would portray them as “obstructionists”, and they don’t DARE have the MSM after them…anymore than they already are.

SouthernGent on November 15, 2006 at 3:03 PM

SouthernGent on November 15, 2006 at 3:03 PM

Or, in accordance with the known HotAir lexicon, they lack the gumballs to do anything about it.

thirteen28 on November 15, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Not exactly a dead hooker, but a good start nonetheless.

Kid from Brooklyn on November 15, 2006 at 3:10 PM

All I can say is:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cary on November 15, 2006 at 3:11 PM

And I assume because so many Democrats called for Republicans who had connections with Jack Abramoff to resign, they will not hesitate to now call for the resignation of the soon to be majority leader. It’s not like the Democrats are hypocrites or anything… right?

Opinionnation on November 15, 2006 at 3:11 PM

SouthernGent on November 15, 2006 at 3:03 PM

Don’t you mean, they don’t have the gumballs?

bookwurm322 on November 15, 2006 at 3:19 PM

All this certainly could have been useful a couple months ago! Here’s hoping if there’s anything there, it goes somewhere now, though, I’m not holding my breath either. I’d keep an eye out for any mysterious or unexplaiined “accidents” any associates of these people might have.

CP on November 15, 2006 at 3:21 PM

Silly rabbits. Only republicans have scandals.

lorien1973 on November 15, 2006 at 3:21 PM

The MSM and the Dems Will make sure we are all aware of the coruption in the New senate… Unless of course it looks bad for the Dem. Holding my breath waiting for MSM to call for Reed to step down… getting dizzy everythings going black must hit subm it bu tt on

Gwillie on November 15, 2006 at 3:22 PM

PS I question the Timing

Gwillie on November 15, 2006 at 3:23 PM

The way I see it Harry, You can either resign or invest in a 55 gallon drum of KY.

BobK on November 15, 2006 at 3:26 PM

So how many in the press didn’t know about this stuff. There’s a scandal for you.
Now if we can get these 6-8 Dems out, and two come from states with Republican governors, the balance of power changes. and Chucky Schmucky Schumer is left with egg on his face.

Iblis on November 15, 2006 at 3:27 PM

WaPo hitting Murtha, ABC hitting Reid–could Rove have gotten confused about October preceding November? This stuff sure would have come in handy a few weeks ago.

cms on November 15, 2006 at 3:28 PM

I’m lost here. I can’t find that blotter post. DARN IT ALL TO BLOODY HECK!!!

… no beep? wth?

One Angry Christian on November 15, 2006 at 3:33 PM

cms on November 15, 2006 at 3:28 PM

No. That would have made him a Martyr. This is much better. Either this, or have Bush fight him, Gladiator style.

And to sum up, a quote from Andrew Lloyd Weber:
“Fools! you have no perception, the stakes we are gambling are frightenly high. We must crush him completely.”
-Caiaphas (Jesus Christ Superstar)

BohicaTwentyTwo on November 15, 2006 at 3:43 PM

Yes! Please implicate Mad Mel! Pleeease! Boehner and Blunt too!

tommy1 on November 15, 2006 at 3:45 PM

Amazing. “I don’t know what he said, but it’s not true.” How the hell can he know it’s not true if he doesn’t know what he said?

mikeyboss on November 15, 2006 at 3:56 PM

Gee, getting Abramoff to name more names. And before the waterboarding. Sissy.

honora on November 15, 2006 at 4:09 PM

It’s always so nice of the MSM to sit on stories.

ABC: The Decider.

Cary on November 15, 2006 at 4:12 PM

Iblis wrote: “Now if we can get these 6-8 Dems out, and two come from states with Republican governors….”

Heh, heh, heh.

The governor of Nevada (Reid’s state) is a REPUBLICAN!

Harry “I’ve been bought by Abramoff” Reid’s resignation from the Senate means that the Senate could go Republican at least until a special election or 2008.

georgej on November 15, 2006 at 4:16 PM

Ya know I thought we have been electing smart people to government positions. All these people are 1) total do-do heads for breaking our trust and 2) really really really big do-do-potty-potty heads for getting caught. Geeze what is wrong with us for allowing this to go on and on and on…

More Meds Please,

GoingThere on November 15, 2006 at 4:17 PM

Heh, heh, heh.

The governor of Nevada (Reid’s state) is a REPUBLICAN!

georgej on November 15, 2006 at 4:16 PM

And ya’ll can celebrate at the Super Bowl: Browns versus Cardinals.

honora on November 15, 2006 at 4:22 PM

Q.: Whaddya get when the lights go out in Louisiana?

A.: slush fund

hillbillyjim on November 15, 2006 at 4:34 PM

SouthernGent,
Well said. The gutless RINOS in the senate don’t have the stones.

mountainmanbob

mountainmanbob on November 15, 2006 at 4:39 PM

I love that pic of Kerry. Classic.

p0s3r on November 15, 2006 at 4:41 PM

Kerry is saying “Harry, did I tell you I served in Viet Nam?”

Wade on November 15, 2006 at 4:44 PM

And ya’ll can celebrate at the Super Bowl: Browns versus Cardinals.

honora on November 15, 2006 at 4:22 PM

Good one, Honora. Where ya been?

I’m certainly not optimistic, nor should you be pessimistic that anything will come of this. It will be fun to watch how some of the more outspoken Dems – re: Abramoff and outrage at republicans – now backpeddle when it is Dems facing accusations.

Unless some smoking gun surfaces and hits the MSM, Abramoff accusations will be dismissed.

BacaDog on November 15, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Does Harry Reid remind anyone else of the Senator from Nevada in Godfather II?
Same kind of guy.
Yeah, the MSM probably will blow this off. Look how long it took to get rid of Torricelli!
But we know they’re crooked and that the Dhimms own the “culture of corruption.”

Jen the Neocon on November 15, 2006 at 4:54 PM

Honora: “And ya’ll can celebrate at the Super Bowl: Browns versus Cardinals.”

Since you’re a “GOOD” Democrat, who wants to fight the “culture of corruption,” shall I be expecting YOU to lead the fight to remove the stain of corruption in the Democratic Party by demanding the ouster of these 6 to 8 DEMOCRATIC Senators?

Or, are you, as we all suspect, just a tad, a bit, HYPOCRITICAL?

Please, tell us — are you HONORABLE or do you wear “honora” the way Harry Reid and Jack Murtha wear their underwear: They change it every day.

georgej on November 15, 2006 at 5:17 PM

Jen, it doesn’t matter if the MSM blows it off or not. If Abramoff names Dirty Harry, the Justice Department and the FBI will investigate. If the allegations are true, then Harry (and maybe 7 more DEMOCRATIC Senators) will be charged with taking bribes — the way Bob Ney was.

And then, if convicted, they will be REMOVED FROM OFFICE, either by resignation or by formal Senate action.

You see, what the MSM says or doesn’t say is irrelevant. This isn’t NOT a “political” issue but a “CRIMINAL” one.

georgej on November 15, 2006 at 5:21 PM

george, oh, yeah! The FBI and the Justice Department–things the Dems should be familiar with.
Cool, but somehow the MSM will ignore it and the people back home will either forget about it or think it’s no big deal.

Jen the Neocon on November 15, 2006 at 5:29 PM

Honora

why is it when its the republicans you want to hang them but when its a dem you say nothing?

rocked on November 15, 2006 at 5:38 PM

Honora

rocked on November 15, 2006 at 5:38 PM

‘Tis a fair question, Ms. H. If it were a republican, the mere accusation of corruption is enough to raise your ire, but you are awfully quiet about Dingy Harry et al.?

Any particular reason?

thirteen28 on November 15, 2006 at 5:42 PM

Jen: “It’s the Dems who should have run on a platform of culture of corruption as a asset.”

Yep.

But, the MSM cannot ignore 6 to 8 Democratic Senators going to the slammer. They can’t ignore it because it will mean that the Senate change hands and that the Republicans were back in control.

What are they going to do, pretend that Harry Reid is still Senate Majority leader while he’s sitting in the federal pen? If they tried that, they would lose all credibility and would go under as unreliable purveyors of the news.

They can no more ignore this than they could ignore Monica and Bill. They tried that (Newsweek sat on the story for 5 months) until Drudge broke the story. Once that happened, and Clinton lied under oath about it, there was no going back.

If Abramoff’s charges are found credible, the MSM will be hooked by the nose and dragged along whether they want to or not.

georgej on November 15, 2006 at 5:45 PM

I think the problem is that it was media pressure that forced creeps like Foley out. And given the MSM’s leanings, they’re not going to pressure any of these dems.
Which makes me wonder, how do you combat journalistic malpractice?

Iblis on November 15, 2006 at 6:12 PM

Where’s the hard-core liberal troll on this issue??

I’d love to hear the DU perspective on this.

Now, to clean off the keyboard after almost laughing to death from the Kerry shot.

NTWR on November 15, 2006 at 6:17 PM

Democrats are never held to the high standards that Republicans are, and that is another reason why we lost the last election.

Republicans should be screamming about the liberal culture of corruption as Pelousy ran on the issue, but even if they do I expect it to fall on deaf ears.

DannoJyd on November 15, 2006 at 7:27 PM

In the socialist worldview, you cannot be held accountable for things you don’t believe in. Like morality, ethics, laws, etc. Those are just society’s methods of repressing true freedom, don’t you know. And aren’t we all for freedom?

Of course, since Republicans DO believe in those things, they MUST be held accountable for them. So you can see, it’s all fair. When you’re a moral relativist, nothing can be pinned on you. Either it’s someone else’s fault, or there was no controlling legal authority, it was an administrative error, an affidavit serves “no legitimate investigative purpose“, or if caught red-handed “I deeply regret the sloppiness involved…“, and those magic words are your get-out-of-jail free card, because we know deep down you were doing what was best for your nation, regardless of those pesky laws.

Freelancer on November 15, 2006 at 8:24 PM

Good one, Honora. Where ya been?

BacaDog on November 15, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Hi BacaDog; went to NYC for a while, business and pleasure. I guess my confidence in what A says decreases in proportion to how close he is to going to the big house.

honora on November 16, 2006 at 1:27 PM

Honora: “And ya’ll can celebrate at the Super Bowl: Browns versus Cardinals.”

I would absolutely lead the fight. I would like some actual evidence first if that’s alright by you.

Or, are you, as we all suspect, just a tad, a bit, HYPOCRITICAL?

Whis is this “we” you speak of? Have you taken to using the royal plural? Or are you talking with other people behind my back? Tsk, tsk, tsk. Honor among thieves george.

georgej on November 15, 2006 at 5:17 PM

I’m sorry. You’ll have to clarify if that is a rhetorical question….

honora on November 16, 2006 at 1:32 PM

Honora

rocked on November 15, 2006 at 5:38

PM

Kindly point out where I have suggested “hanging” (or its equivalent) Repubs who have been accused or convicted of corruption? If the dems are found guilty, they should be drummed out as well.

I hope I am not insulting you by stating the obvious for your consideration: far more Repubs were fingered by Abramoff because they were the ones in power. If you are looking to buy influence, you seek out the ones who have influence. You know, fish where the fish are. Duh.

honora on November 16, 2006 at 1:42 PM

Honora: “I’m sorry. You’ll have to clarify if that is a rhetorical question….”

My meaning was clear enough.

Your “commitment” to “good government” and “ethical government” is decidedly and obviously partisan. And the fact that others agree with me is evidence that I’m not using the royal “we.”

WHEN (not if) Abramoff’s testimony leads to indictment of Reid and the other “6 to 8 seriously corrupt Democrat Senators,” I (and no doubt others) will be watching you and the Troll Twins (Constantine and Grebrook) for your response. “WE” will be watching just how vigorously you (and they) defend them — or not.

georgej on November 16, 2006 at 5:26 PM

Just my nickel (inflation you know), but I don’t consider honora a troll at all. (And not claiming you called her one, georgej)

Unlike GregH, Constantine, and of late Grebrook, she is rational, is willing to consider facts in opposition to the majority liberal view, and although she is prone to sniping (and which of us isn’t), her posts are generally not unkind, simply partisan. It comes across as hypocritical if we beat on her for taking her stand in the same way we take ours.

That said, honora, how do you feel about your party allowing Reid to continue as the prospective Senate majority leader in light of the very serious allegations of corruption, not just from Abramoff, but numerous shady deals in the recent past? Your side always calls for a member to step down from leadership, or resign their seat altogether, based on allegations before facts are in evidence, so I’m looking for the consistency and integrity I just presumed you to have.

Freelancer on November 16, 2006 at 6:29 PM