Video: Report: Pelosi hired illegal immigrants for Napa Valley vineyard(?)

posted at 12:56 am on November 14, 2006 by Ian

San Francisco radio talk show host Melanie Morgan appeared on Hannity & Colmes tonight to discuss Nancy Pelosi’s hypocritical politics. The topic was the minority leader’s pork barrel spending, but Morgan brought up the Napa Valley vineyard Pelosi owns and the people who work for her. Last week, The American Thinker wrote about the people Pelosi hires.

Remember Linda Chavez? Chavez withdrew her nomination for Secretary of Labor after she acknowledged sheltering an illegal immigrant. But since she has an “R” by her name, the rules are different.

Update (Michelle): See-dubya notes in comments below that the Investor’s Business Daily editorial linked by The American Thinker doesn’t level a direct charge that Pelosi hired illegal immigrants. Here’s what it said:

As Peter Schweizer notes in his best-selling expose of liberal hypocrisy, “Do As I Say (Not As I Do),” part of the fortune of this defender of the working man is a Napa Valley vineyard worth $25 million that she owns with her husband. The vineyard produces expensive grapes for high-end wines. Napa grapes bring up to $4,000 a ton compared with $300 a ton for, say, San Joaquin grapes.

But Pelosi, winner of the 2003 Cesar Chavez award from the United Farm Workers, hires only nonunion workers and sells these grapes to nonunion wineries. [....]

Which makes Pelosi’s steadfast opposition to any attempts to enhance border security and stem the flow of illegal immigration into the U.S. all the more interesting since she seems to be among those rich employers who financially benefit from a steady supply of cheap foreign labor. [....]

Nor has Pelosi been a fan of employer sanctions against the hiring of illegal aliens. In 2003, she accused immigration officers of conducting “terrorizing raids” on Wal-Mart stores that led to the arrest of more than 300 illegal aliens.

Loraine Stewart, a farmworker advocate with Napa Valley Community Housing, in a 2004 San Francisco Chronicle article estimated that half of the migrant labor force in the valley consisted of undocumented workers, without whom “not one bottle of wine would get made here.”

If journalists in the open borders media weren’t, well, so pro-open borders, one of them might ask her point blank whether her vineyard has used “undocumented” labor, whether the company has signed up for the employer verification system to screen out illegal workers, and if not, why not?

Comments

Gotcha, you hag! Time for that awful bee-yatch to do the perp-walk in front of the nearest courthouse steps……

Janos Hunyadi on November 14, 2006 at 1:00 AM

Using the old liberal argument that anyone who is rich must be doing something illegal, it’s obvious Comrade Pelosi is rotten to the core. When’s the trial start?

jaleach on November 14, 2006 at 1:05 AM

San Fransciso radio talk show host Melanie Morgan appeared on Hannity & Colmes tonight to discuss Nancy Pelosi’s hypocritical politics.

Name a position Pelosi has taken that makes her a hypocrite due to illegal immigrants working in her vineyard, which you have no proof she was aware of. She’s not a Republican and therefore she did not run on a “ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS GET EM ALL!” platform.

Comprehensive immigration reform calls for these people to be legalized.

Grebrook on November 14, 2006 at 1:07 AM

I should state that in this case, Pelosi is rotten to the core. There’s a good book detailing Comrade Pelosi’s various shenanigans called “Do As I Say” that provides all the dirt. She breaks more laws than she passes as a legislator.

jaleach on November 14, 2006 at 1:08 AM

You see, Linda Chavez wouldn’t have been in a position to turn the US into North Mexico. Pelosi Galore, on the other hand, is not only in a position to do so but to turn the “North” into the same “North” that exists on the Korean peninsula.

steveegg on November 14, 2006 at 1:13 AM

I’d call for an investigation into every worker in her vineyards, but it seems the President supports her on this, so what would be the point?

Oh wait…there is no need for Presidential approval or even a majority approval to open an investigation. Get corruption and hypocricy OUT of my government!

Hmm, conflict of interest statutes would also apply to anyone who owns an interest in a company that hires illegals but still votes on illegal immigration legislation (no matter what their personal views are), no?

American_Jihadist on November 14, 2006 at 1:15 AM

But what about her pledge to “clean house?” We know she’ll get away with it. Is there one honest politician left who puts the long term interests of the people ahead of their own quest for power and money?

Scotsman on November 14, 2006 at 1:25 AM

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

IBD says every vineyard in the valley probably uses illegal labor. That’s different from saying Nancy Pelosi uses illegal labor.

I hate to be a killjoy, but I bet AP’s gone to bed.

see-dubya on November 14, 2006 at 1:28 AM

I didn’t post it, see-dub.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2006 at 1:29 AM

Am I the only one who (seriously) think Pelosi may be pure evil? I just feel like when I look at her, there is some kind of real evil behind her eyes. It could be just all the work she’s had done that has turned her in to the offspring of Michael Jackson and…. I don’t know… maybe a skeleton, I’m not sure.

But seriously, does anyone else get that vibe from her? And Alex Jones and the rest of the conspiracy theory crowd say that Bush and all the world’s leaders worship Moloch and the giant owl statue, and of course Satan, at Bohemian Grove aner perform mock sacrifices, etc.!

If I was to believe that about any of our pols, it would be have to be Pelosi, Byrd, Hillary, Boxer… maybe Schumer, and I’m sure there are some others who give off that weird vibe.

RightWinged on November 14, 2006 at 1:41 AM

Who cares if every vinyard uses illegal labor? Does that make it OK for the House Speaker’s vinyard to use illegal labor? Is she excused? I can’t believe we’re even having this discussion. I’m going to start drinking again.

Scotsman on November 14, 2006 at 1:46 AM

“Name a position Pelosi has taken that makes her a hypocrite due to illegal immigrants working in her vineyard…”

1) “End the culture of corruption” … while breaking laws, hiring illegals, and enjoying the benefits of “cheap foreign labor”… want to bet she isn’t paying even the current minimum wage?

2) (from the link) “But Pelosi, winner of the 2003 Cesar Chavez award from the United Farm Workers, hires only nonunion workers and sells these grapes to nonunion wineries.” So, friend of the Union workers, as long as she doesn’t have to hire any… not hypocritical?

3) Hasn’t she claimed that companies (say, Wal-Mart) should be forced to provide health care for thier workers? Anyone want to guess is she leads by example on this? Somehow I doubt she’s providing health care for illegals. A bit of a stretch, but sounds like “do as I say, not as I do” to me.

Of course you can’t run a profitable vinyard while giving all your farmhands full benefits packages. But you can’t run a big-box store (Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart) with the benefits plans that the Democrats have claimed should be required either. And with Napa Valley grape prices, I bet the vinyard could come closer to the break even point.

4) (also from the article) “Nor has Pelosi been a fan of employer sanctions against the hiring of illegal aliens.” Now this at least isn’t hypocritical. It is crooked though, unless there’s another definition for “trying to stop enforcement of a law you are currently breaking”…

Now hypocrisy doesn’t require illegal behavior, so much of this (aside from hiring illegals) isn’t against the law. But hypocritical? Damn straight.

Any of that seem hypocritical to you Grebrook?

gekkobear on November 14, 2006 at 1:47 AM

Big Surprise – and even bigger surprise is that it won’t hurt one bit. If anything it will make her more popular in the Indepedent Socialist City of San Francisco.

omegaram on November 14, 2006 at 1:51 AM

AP–I know; I meant that the head killjoy was probably in bed…;)

see-dubya on November 14, 2006 at 2:15 AM

Gimme a good Italian, Australian or German wine any time. The poorest stuff I’ve had over here is better than the best I’ve had from CA. Now I know why.

rotorhead on November 14, 2006 at 2:32 AM

Am I the only one who (seriously) think Pelosi may be pure evil?

She is hardly PURE!

And too stupid to be truely demonically Evil.
;-)

No, merely a minion of evil.

LegendHasIt on November 14, 2006 at 2:44 AM

doug from upland‘ at Free Republic has posted this thread that includes a video on Pelosi and her hiring tactics -

olympian2008 on November 14, 2006 at 2:46 AM

Remember a few years back during all the NannyGates? What was old Nancy’s position then?

EF on November 14, 2006 at 2:50 AM

And this woman could not have gone on SanFrancisco radio BEFORE the elections? Oh no, guess not. Station manager probably had a big gig with the gay marriage folks THAT week.

seejanemom on November 14, 2006 at 5:29 AM

Hypocrites, all.

seejanemom on November 14, 2006 at 8:12 AM

You can bet that this will not get much airtime on MSM. Seems to me that it would be a better strategy to get the word out to organized labor…her dear, dear friends.

Golfer_75093 on November 14, 2006 at 8:30 AM

well. the most obvious thing here is that SHE IS BREAKING THE LAW by hiring them in the first place!! it makes no difference what “position” she’s taken. And because she is a Democrat, she gets a “get out of jail card” for free. THAT’S what makes it hypocritical.

pullingmyhairout on November 14, 2006 at 8:45 AM

Comprehensive immigration reform calls for these people to be legalized.

Grebrook on November 14, 2006 at 1:07 AM

Wrong. Comprehensive immigration reform calls for these people to be deported, after which they can attempt to re-enter the country legally. After, of course, the borders are properly secured.

Rusty Bill on November 14, 2006 at 8:49 AM

Melanie Morgan doesn’t seem to like Pelosi very much…haha. She’s on a mission, but she’ll have a hard time getting the msm to help her. Hannity said he would help her, but will it be enough?

SouthernGent on November 14, 2006 at 9:13 AM

You asked for it, honey, now you’re in the spot light. Let’s see how well your dried up, wrinkly, old ass holds up under the scortching gaze of the media machine.

I can’t wait to hear the cackle, “help meeee, I’m melting”

Alden Pyle on November 14, 2006 at 9:15 AM

The book, “Do as I say”, has been out for quite a while. The author claims that Madame Botox uses illegals to work in her vineyards. I wonder what she paid them. Just another day in a limo libs life.

bloggless on November 14, 2006 at 9:17 AM

I listen to Melanie and her morning crew almost every morning on KSFO here in the Bay,seejanemom, and she is one of the most active and vocal critics of ANY sort of chicanery, they do not toe the line for anyone.They do everything they can to put the facts out there.

bbz123 on November 14, 2006 at 9:20 AM

I hate to be a killjoy, but I bet AP’s gone to bed.

see-dubya on November 14, 2006 at 1:28 AM

I didn’t post it, see-dub.

Allahpundit on November 14, 2006 at 1:29 AM

Impressive, AP.

Jaibones on November 14, 2006 at 10:07 AM

Grebrook,

I hereby publicly retract my previous public retraction. You cleary are an idiot.

Jaibones on November 14, 2006 at 10:07 AM

hell yeah!

umbergbr on November 14, 2006 at 10:41 AM

Comprehensive immigration reform calls for these people to be legalized.

I’d agree to that, but only if one of them gets to take your place. :-)

SouthernGent on November 14, 2006 at 10:44 AM

Proof is needed here folks… and shouldn’t be hard to find…

That is… if there are any hard hitting journalists out there anymore…

Crap… wait… forgot…she’s a dem….crap…

Romeo13 on November 14, 2006 at 11:04 AM

fogw on November 14, 2006 at 11:20 AM

omprehensive immigration reform calls for these people to be legalized. — Grebrook

I’d agree to that, but only if one of them gets to take your place. :-) — SouthernGent

…ever the voice of reason, Gent. I’d take in three illegals for the Greebster…if Mexico promised to take *ALL* of him…now….

We work out an exchange program: three of your indigent, under-educated, stoop-labor peons for every one of our fey, “hypocracy”-spouting Lefties. It would, as Will Rogers said, raise the IQ of both nations.

…after we’ve exported enough of them there, they’ll be able to organize and aggitate to get the Southwest back, preying on all that “victim-culture” stuff they use up this side fo the border, fulfilling their “anti-American Dream”.

…then, we can declare war on ‘em as the citizens of a belligerent country and wipe ‘em out.

…win-win….

Puritan1648 on November 14, 2006 at 11:37 AM

I’m guessing Peolosi’s vineyards produce a Sauvignon Blanc Stare, a full-bodied wine that can be bought for the right price. — fogw

…kudos…kudos….

Puritan1648 on November 14, 2006 at 11:39 AM

So NOW the dirt is revealed. Too bad Republicans didn’t play dirty politics BEFORE the election. I guess Rove is a mere mortal afterall.

CliffHanger on November 14, 2006 at 12:43 PM

This is not new. I recall reading about Pelosi and her husbands questionable hiring and business practices a year or so ago on various sites, and again during the recent senate debates on immigration. Nobody cared, and it was put back in the closet. Now it’s an issue? As to the MSM holding Pelosi’s , or any other dems, feet to the fire- your’e kidding, right?

tomk59 on November 14, 2006 at 12:52 PM

Seriously. Somebody ought to get down to her vineyard and see if there are illegals working there. This could be quite damaging.

tommy1 on November 14, 2006 at 1:04 PM

Not to scratch my own back, but this was mentioned before

And as someone very familiar with wine-grape growing: the company hires a labor contractor. The labor contractor is SUPPOSED to hire only legal workers. Whether they do or not is of no consequence to the vineyard owner-the labor contractor will take the flack. I’ve only seen one union labor contracting company, and I’ve only seen one labor contracting company that did not (knowingly) hire illegals… But since the unions are now pushing for amnesty too, it’s a moot point. I just wonder who the hell unions are supposed to be looking out for.

And aside form her union hypocrisy, there’s her blatant hypocrisy regarding the environment

One other issue for Nancy Pelosi. I hate to pick on her, but it’s just so inviting. As they say in the military, it’s a target-rich environment. With Nancy Pelosi, another big issue is the environment. She always makes statements that, with us, the environment is not an issue, it’s an ethic, it’s a value. Which is a nice way of saying, “I love the environment, but not when it comes to our own businesses.” A lot of people don’t realize that, in 1996, Nancy Pelosi and her husband and fewer than 10 other partners wanted to build a golf course and country club outside of San Jose, California, called the CordeValle Country Club. In order to get approval to build on these 275 acres, they had to comply with some very stringent county environmental regulations. Now the California tiger salamander and the Western pond turtle are apparently endangered species and they’re very, very common on these 275 acres that the Pelosis wanted to develop.

So the agreement they struck with local regulators was, we’ll build the golf course, we’ll set up some holding ponds and we’ll create a natural habitat to make sure that these environmental endangered species survive.

Of course, they built the golf course. It opened in 2000. If you want to join, the membership is $250,000. But they never followed the environmental regulations. The ponds were never built for these endangered species. For seven years, they also failed to file any of the environmental reports required by the California Fish and Wildlife Commission. A 2004 County Environmental Compliance Report found all kinds of environmental problems on the Pelosis’ golf course.

I think Rove thought it was common knowledge how corrupt this woman is…

NTWR on November 14, 2006 at 1:15 PM

To be fair, a couple of Clinton appointees were also forced to withdraw their nominations due to hiring illegal aliens. I think one of them was Zoe Baird, who was a Clinton nominee for AG before Uncle Janet finally got the job.

thirteen28 on November 14, 2006 at 2:07 PM

So where’s the Pubbie cheering section calling
for Pelosi’s head?
ANSWER: No where, because they’re all ball-less!

byteshredder on November 14, 2006 at 2:11 PM