Fauxtography: The great Hezbollah tire fire revisited

posted at 12:15 pm on November 14, 2006 by Allahpundit

Remember?

caption1.jpg

I thought Hezbollah had deliberately set fire to a pile of tires at a garbage dump to make it look like an Israeli jet had crashed there after being shot down. Not so, says Bruno Stevens, writing today at the Lightstalkers forum for photojournalists. For one thing, it wasn’t a garbage dump.

And it wasn’t a jet that crashed there.

According to Stevens, this was the caption he submitted with his photo:

“Kfar Chima, near Beirut, July 17, 2006 An Israeli Air Force F16 has alledgedly been shot down while bombing a group of Hezbollah owned trucks, at least one of these trucks contained a medium range ground to ground missile launcher.”

And this was the caption that appeared in Time:

caption.jpg

He says he went back to the site to collect more evidence and eventually submitted a revised caption, although it’s unclear if he did so before or after the photo had been published:

“Kfar Chima, near Beirut, July 17, 2006 The Israeli Air Force bombed a group of Hezbollah chartered trucks parked on the back of large Lebanese Army barracks , at least one of these trucks contained a medium range ground to ground missile launcher, at least one missile was hit, misfiring high into the sky before falling down and starting a huge fire in the barracks’ parking lot.”

Emphasis again mine.

Why would Time deliberately omit key details about what Israel was targeting and, just as importantly, where it was located? Charles has a theory.

You owe it to yourself to click through on the Lightstalkers link and check out the last photo in the series of four that Stevens has posted. (The page may take a minute or two to load, but it’s worth it.) Did Time have that photo in hand when it chose to describe the vehicles as nothing more than “Hezbollah trucks”?

Comments

I can not wait to here Time’s explaination.

Rich on November 14, 2006 at 12:27 PM

{cue Kyle from South Park voice}

“Really?”

HerrMorgenholz on November 14, 2006 at 12:30 PM

But it is a pile of thousands of burning tires. How is that not a dump?

Kevin M on November 14, 2006 at 12:34 PM

I don’t see the plane. Hey, AP can you circle where the plane is supposed to be? There are alot of tires though.

wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Troy Rasmussen on November 14, 2006 at 12:37 PM

The masses are fooled, handily and often…

ar_basin on November 14, 2006 at 12:37 PM

Fake but accurate.

bloggless on November 14, 2006 at 12:45 PM

What am I missing here?

How does the caption the guy wrote get “embellished” to the point that an Israeli jet crashed? Ok, I mean I understand “milking” the caption to make it look worse for the Israeli’s – that’s just the way the MSM rolls. But a “shot down” jet? That’s not even in the area code with this ballgame!

Tiiii-iiimme is on my side… yes it is (hehe, yeah right.)

y2church on November 14, 2006 at 12:48 PM

I can not wait to here Time’s explaination.

For some reason the phrase “Fake but accurate” jumps immediately to mind.

jasnell on November 14, 2006 at 12:48 PM

-But if this story is true; “I want to be the one to break it”.

–You’re fired!

ar_basin on November 14, 2006 at 12:56 PM

You and Michelle just took down lightstalkers. Bastards! I was excited to read this.

RightWinged on November 14, 2006 at 12:59 PM

Those aren’t tires in the background, they are charred remnants of Israel’s new top secret airstrike payload ….. giant bagels.

Look out Ahmed! Oy vey.

Mystery solved.

fogw on November 14, 2006 at 1:10 PM

giant bagels

Hmmm, that explains how all those cars (and ambulance) pictured got those big holes in them. It’s all making sense now. It’s all part of the zionist plan – the MSM was right all along.

Rick on November 14, 2006 at 1:24 PM

Mmmmm…giant bagels…where’s the swimming pool of cream cheese?

Truly, just another reason for the US to bomb the sh!t out of the entire middle east(except Israel and Jordan). And I’m not too sure about Israel and Jordan.

tormod on November 14, 2006 at 1:40 PM

RW,

You and Michelle just took down lightstalkers. Bastards!

No, Lightstalkers is where the truth is coming out via the guy who took the shots. This isn’t the first time this sort of thing has happened.

Lightstalkers deserves our thanks and our sympathy for their server which is now apparently melting down.

Time has some explaining to do.

Pablo on November 14, 2006 at 1:57 PM

But it is a pile of thousands of burning tires. How is that not a dump? — Kevin M

…ever been to the Middle East? Ever been to the Third World? People *LIVE* in dumps. That pile of tires might just’ve been Abu-Ahmed bin Jihad’s main house…the shed out back made of soup cans and asbestos shinles.

Where’s a tort lawyer? This guy might have a claim….

Puritan1648 on November 14, 2006 at 2:25 PM

There is still something wrong with the story. This is a big pile of tires burning.

forest on November 14, 2006 at 2:25 PM

…well, in a way, they *WERE* accurate…jet fuel of a sort *DID* start the fire…it was just in the tank of one of the Bozos very own rockets….

…it’s just like “body of a dead child at the site of the missle strike”…the body was there, ready to be photographed (or photoshopped, as you prefer), as dead when the shutter snapped as when it arrived on site….

…or, the “chest beating” lady, keening over “her” destroyed property…the owners might’ve deeded it over to her and her Hezbollah employers after it was “redecorated”.

…or the shirtless guy with the ball cap under his arm…technically, his *WAS* the pieta-looking body of an Arab man lying at the scene of a bombing…he was just inconveniently alive….

Time, the NYT, and other Lefty apologists for jihad won’t change diddly unless they so overwhelmingly caught with their pathetic little penii in the wringer that they have to say *something*. Their agenda is “Israel bad/jihadis good”. Why let the truth interfere?

Puritan1648 on November 14, 2006 at 2:33 PM

Fake but accurate.

Its not even that. Its fake but wishful thinking for those who hate JOOS!!

BohicaTwentyTwo on November 14, 2006 at 2:34 PM

I say give them the test! The Global Test!

bloggless on November 14, 2006 at 2:42 PM

Yes, the big pile of tires were stacked up at the back of a parking lot next to a bunch of old junked army trucks. The story as Stevens tells it appears to check out. For instance, check out this photo then check Google Earth at 33°49’13.70″ N 35°32’34.86″ E at an eye elevation of about 950 ft. Rotate the image around so that north is down. Note the rows of yellow buildings in both and relative position of the fire. You can play with the elevation and point of view a bit and almost pinpoint exactly where the photographer was standing when the shot was taken. Looking over that area and you can spot a number of diesel truck trailers as well as old vehicles, piles of tires and what appear to be guard towers. At least one of Stevens’ photos shows a tower.

(Download this placemark and open it up in Google Earth)

jasnell on November 14, 2006 at 3:13 PM

RW,

You and Michelle just took down lightstalkers. Bastards!

Time has some explaining to do.

Pablo on November 14, 2006 at 1:57 PM

I think you missed my point Pablo, I wasn’t knocking lightstalkers, and I know what is going down. I was just joking acting angry at Michelle and AP for swamping lightstalkers with so much traffic that I was unable to read the story, that I was truly anxious to read.

RightWinged on November 14, 2006 at 3:20 PM

I think you missed my point Pablo

Ahhhhh…indeed I did.

Yep, they did do that, with a little help from LGF. Friendly fire sucks, huh? ;-)

Pablo on November 14, 2006 at 3:47 PM

Yeah, now we’re on the same page Pablo. I was just pissed because I am unhealthily obsessed with the whole fauxtography thing, and was anxious to read that post.

RightWinged on November 14, 2006 at 4:06 PM