Would Joementum really switch parties?

posted at 10:54 pm on November 12, 2006 by Allahpundit

Please. The man’s 64 years old and from one of the bluest states in the union. Medical advances being what they are, if he doesn’t wander too far off the reservation he’s got another five terms left in him. All he’s doing here is reminding Reid and crew that he’s “the decider” now.

Well, him and Jim Webb.

Which reminds me, since the Reed-Levin cut-and-jog plan is in the news tonight: Liebs was one of six Democrats to break ranks and vote no when that came to the floor in June. Will he reverse field next year? We’ll be watching.

So will Kos, who, along with 1% of the rest of America’s Democrats, is having a tough day.

Update: WaPo’s watching Liebs, too.

Comments

Yes he would.

Entelechy on November 12, 2006 at 11:01 PM

Not a chance. AP is right, Joe is just throwing his weight around.

lorien1973 on November 12, 2006 at 11:12 PM

I think he might.

thedecider on November 12, 2006 at 11:15 PM

Blasphemy. One percent? Kos and Krew of Kooks single-handedly won back control, in their Kool-Aid induced delusional world.

By the way, Ol’ Joe’s too smart to do a J.J.; Jefferds marginalized himself to an extent that, in spite of all of the publicity surrounding his treachery, he is a nobody in the eyes of either side of the aisle.

hillbillyjim on November 12, 2006 at 11:20 PM

If he switches parties, I’ll run naked through my Raleigh, NC neighborhood.

SouthernGent on November 12, 2006 at 11:23 PM

Joe should be a republican. Well, it is not up to me. I am waiting to see how Democrats are going to pass all their agenda in the first 100 hours.

Ouabam on November 12, 2006 at 11:23 PM

Wes Clark wasn’t really taken seriously by Democrats in the last presidential election. I don’t think he’s gained any ground since then either. His role as a Fox News contributor probably doesn’t earn him any points with Kos and the Kossacks either.

thedecider on November 12, 2006 at 11:25 PM

If he switches parties, I’ll run naked through my Raleigh, NC neighborhood.

SouthernGent remember to post the video on youtube

Ouabam on November 12, 2006 at 11:25 PM

…Wes Clarke running…and Hillary runnin’, o’ course…they could do the old locker-room/summer-camp “who’s got the longest” short-arm inspection to see who’d VP on the ticket….

…and it would be Clinton/Clarke in ’08….

…it’d be Clinton/Obama if the equipment check included testicles….

Puritan1648 on November 12, 2006 at 11:30 PM

I think Joe’ll stay an (I)–that would be good.
He’s not really an R, but a Truman old-school Dem.

As for those polls, why are we even bothering to hold an election in ’08?
Why don’t we just save ourselves the trouble and crown Hillary Queen now?

Jen the Neocon on November 12, 2006 at 11:37 PM

Suppose Pelosi gets Murtha.

Would Joe then switch?

Kokonut on November 12, 2006 at 11:49 PM

Not a chance. When Jeffords switched parties, all he got out of it was some brief glowing media attention and the chairmanship of a second-tier committee. Then he lost it the next election cycle.

Lieberman is a much better senator than Jeffords, so I doubt he’ll make a similar mistake.

Slublog on November 12, 2006 at 11:51 PM

VERY vERY unlikely

Defector01 on November 12, 2006 at 11:52 PM

Why don’t we just save ourselves the trouble and crown Hillary Queen now?

Jen the Neocon on November 12, 2006 at 11:37 PM

Perish the thought! Honestly, do you really believe Hillary has a chance? I honestly don’t and not just because I oppose, literally, everything she stands for in politics. I’ll take it your comment was tongue-in-cheek. I don’t get the sense that our country is really ready for a (brace yourselves) female president. Now, let me state right away I have nothing against women in politics – or women in general. I just think the idea of a female president is anathema to our national mindset at this time. It’s “fun” for people or Hollyweird to think or fantasize about it, but I don’t believe the country is ready. When the country is ready, it won’t be a devisive personality like Hillary that comes to the forefront.

thedecider on November 13, 2006 at 12:08 AM

However, I do hope Hillary is the front-runner because it assures a Republican will win the presidency in ’08.

thedecider on November 13, 2006 at 12:10 AM

I agree with thedecider that the country is not ready for a female president, but think the main reason Hillary! will not be elected is that she won’t make it past the primary. I have not talked to a single Democrat that wants Hillary! on the ticket in 2008. Not one.

Members of her own party don’t like her. She’s the McCain of the Democrats. Media darling hated by the base.

Slublog on November 13, 2006 at 12:11 AM

You’re wrong, Decider, it assures no such thing.

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 12:11 AM

You’re wrong, Decider, it assures no such thing.

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 12:11 AM

Sorry to disagree Christoph. I really think it does. Why do you disagree? Admittedly, if the Republican candidate is weak, Hillary has a chance. Put up a solid Republican and she’ll lose.

thedecider on November 13, 2006 at 12:14 AM

As an Independent, couldn’t Lieberman caucus with his party, “CT for JL”, and thus give Cheney an opportunity for a tie breaking vote? I doubt that Lieberman will shift the balance of power.

DU has been buzzing that Senator Thomas of Wyoming might be stepping down/dying soon after announcing that he has leukemia. They hope that the Dem governor of Wyoming would appoint a Dem replacement that would negate Lieberman’s power.

rw on November 13, 2006 at 12:16 AM

Christoph also has a good point. If Hillary! does make it past the primaries, I believe the media will do everything in its power to make her look presidential.

When Hillary! was first lady, I had an opportunity to see her speak. She delivered a pedantic, uninspiring and overly partisan speech that bored even the college-aged choir she was lecturing. From what I’ve seen, she has not improved her style.

I think the next Democratic candidate for president will be Al Gore.

Slublog on November 13, 2006 at 12:18 AM

I think the next Democratic candidate for president will be Al Gore.

Slublog on November 13, 2006 at 12:18 AM

Al Bore? Interesting but, do tell?

thedecider on November 13, 2006 at 12:20 AM

Al Gore will have one problem in the primaries… explaining his selection of Joe Lieberman as the VP candidate.

Other than that, he has no real history for the last six years and no history of votes from the 90′s to defend.

rw on November 13, 2006 at 12:27 AM

I still see Joe as someone who deliver the realist position. Baker and shit is doing nothting. The problem with the Iraq war is not about withdrawing. Whether we withdraw or stay, nothing changes. The decades of Jihad against the U.S wouldn’t just fade away. I favor treating the Iraqi like kids if they do not move along with the national reconciliation plan. Other events such as the Gaza uprising still motivate these Jihadist to attack Iraq and recruit new people. And Israel is not going stop for the sake of “countless death.” Bush should use this moment to threaten the Iraqi government–to tell them democrats might withdraw troops. We should give them some reality to minimize the sectarian violence.

Ouabam on November 13, 2006 at 12:29 AM

Ouabam on November 13, 2006 at 12:29 AM

This is a good point for a number of reasons. Jihadism isn’t going away, and if you take away one reason for their perpetual anger, they only find another. It never ends. So we’re left with a few schools of thought – none of which I am ready to get behind.

1. Fight them on their turf so we don’t fight them at home.

2. Promote democracy throughout the middle-east and over-turn their Theocratic regimes with Western idealism.

3. Keep them in the dark ages (deny technology) where they don’t have the means to be a real threat.

Someone may think of a fourth. At any rate, it seems the root of their anger stems from their radical beliefs. Islam, itself – though I don’t support it – seems to be the crux of the problem promolgated through the Imams. We hear it’s really a “religion of peace” by everyone including our President. Yet, like most religions, it has the capacity to be interpreted in negative, destructive ways by less-than-moral Imams who have the capacity to tap in to impressionable people. So, the question then becomes, how do you overcome Imams who have so much influence over the people they preach to? Suddenly, Ann Coulter’s inflamatory directive of “converting [them]…to Christianity” is starting to make some sense.

thedecider on November 13, 2006 at 12:45 AM

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 1:32 AM

That’s a very interesting article, Christoph. I don’t agree with the comparisons (politically) between her and Reagan, because Reagan really never left behind his core beliefs to the extent Hillary does to attract voters – hence “Reagan Democrats” were born. I haven’t seen any “Hillary Republicans” ready to rally around her. I will respect your opinion however. I suppose we’ll see.

thedecider on November 13, 2006 at 1:40 AM

I think she may be a strong warfighter. She’s ruthless.

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 1:47 AM

Lieberman switching parties? Not gonna happen.

Al Gore getting the Nomination? Not gonna happen either.

Kerry? Forgeddaboutit! The dumbshit put a loaded gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger when he called the troops stupid.

Hillary is probably halfway there in getting set up to take the nomination by preparing the party’s “infrastructure” for her candidacy.

If you check the finanical pages, you’ll see that two “Friends of Bill(and Hil)” are bidding on the Tribune Company media conglomerate. If they purchase it, Hillary will have her own “network” of local radio and TV stations as well as the LA Times, the Chicago Tribune, and several other major dailies, giving her a very big propaganda advantage. Which she will use to best advantage.

georgej on November 13, 2006 at 1:51 AM

thedecider on November 13, 2006 at 12:45 AM

A good point.
I do move away from assigning the whole terrorist hoo hoo as a religious war. It is really a religious war. Neither sides are not ready to compromise their values. The end of this war is when they recognize that there is a line that nobody can cross. I lived in a Muslim country. They only we keep the aggressors at distance is by showing them our swords. We tell that if one of our people dies, we would kill 5 generations of their own people. What Islam need is to be broken into a million denominations just like the catholic church was divided. Converting them to christians is first step. They do not need a democratic government because religion is not so. Well, they do not have the ACLU to scream separate Church and state. Could we start a project called give a Muslim a bible. It is not bad idea. They need some of our mind captivating evangelist. They will compete with the mullah mullah. Come on folks. Put some capitalism into Islam. We do not have religious violence in the united states because of capitalism in religion. If you feel your pastor is satisfying your need, see a Buddhist. Give a Muslim a bible. It might a save life. This is my slogan. And I will change the world with it.

Ouabam on November 13, 2006 at 2:11 AM

Lieberman is a two faced liar… He criticized Clinton for getting serviced in the Oval office, but folded, once the Dems got ugly on him. And for good reason… he knocked up his present wife, while still being married to the first one. Not a very good thing for a guy claiming to be an strict orthodox Jew.

I voted for the bum, simply to avoid the Dead Lamo guy from winning, but I fear he’ll say and do anything to stay in office. I guess i was fooled again.

And the only reason Al Gore had him on the ticket is to because he was shown to be tough on defense and yet at the same the time the Liberal (Jewish) press would give him a pass!

Bob on November 13, 2006 at 6:54 AM

Hmm, well from what I can see, Lieberman divorced first wife in 1981 and married his current wife in 1983 (same article). Supposedly they met in 1982, during his run for AG. And their child Hana was born in the late 80s.

So I don’t see how your gossip really accords with what’s going on here. I suppose he could have met Hadassah earlier, gotten her pregnant, divorced his first wife, Hadassah have miscarriage/abortion…but it doesn’t seem there’s much evidence for that. I’m going to guess this particular rumor has been floated by the MoveOn crowd who are pretty pissed with Lieberman. Because of Joe’s irritating sanctimoniousness, they’d love to peg him with anything. It’s not enough that he’s been married twice, they’ve got to find something dirtier.
—–

In any case, I don’t see why Lieberman would join the Repubs as a party. I can see him being officially party-less, but he’s even less of a Republican than Lincoln Chafee. He agrees with the Dems on almost all areas excepting one, and on that one topic he might be able to keep the Senate Dems looking like complete asses.

meep on November 13, 2006 at 7:32 AM

Can Joe really bring himself to vote with the Dems if it makes Murtha the leader in the Senate?? The GOP should go to Joe and says, if he throws in with them, they proposed Joe himself as Senate leader as a concensus candidate. Then Joe can help pick more rational Democrats for committee chairs (along with a Republican or two).

Mike O on November 13, 2006 at 8:20 AM

Al Bore? Interesting but, do tell?

Rw explained it well above. He’s been working on policy the past few years, staying out of the spotlight for the most part.

Gore reminds people of the Clinton years, but has the advantage of not actually being a Clinton, with all of their baggage.

Slublog on November 13, 2006 at 8:42 AM

Joe is not gonna switch parties. For one thing, aside from supporting Bush on the war, he’s too much of a liberal. You can’t forget history here. Joe got into the senate by beating Lowell Weicker, who was nominally a Dem, but almost always voted with the Republicans. Joe’s platform then was, essentially, if you’re gonna have a Dem in the senate, why not have a real Dem?

I would expect Joe to either remain an independent or officially rejoin the Dems at some point. Which of those options he chooses, I think, will depend on what kind of deal he can cut for himself. I think his comment yesterday was just a shot across the bow, letting the dems know that he’s dangerous.

Farmer_Joe on November 13, 2006 at 8:51 AM

Who the Dem. candidate will be is going to depend on whether the old-school or the kos-school wins out in the primaries. I predict Hillary as the darling of the old-school and Dean as the kos-kid koolaid drinking kook. Gore and Kerry are has-beens. What happens during the next 2 years and how the public responds to that will be a key determinant. My guess–Hillary will try to “rise above” the upcoming fray while Dean will dive into it. This is a balancing act for her, because in order to appease the nutroots base she has to appear to be supporting the Bush-bashing while simultaneously distancing herself from it. I also think Hillary is grooming Obama for her running mate.

SunnyBrook on November 13, 2006 at 9:27 AM

I can’t believe this is even a topic of discussion.

Joe Lieberman IS NOT going to switch parties, y’all. Forget it.

Exactly. Y’all need to hang your hopes elsewhere.

bamapachyderm on November 13, 2006 at 9:33 AM

No way. I grab this photo every time someone says he’ll switch.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on November 13, 2006 at 10:09 AM

He won’t… but it would be soooooo great if he did. Even if only for a few years.

RalphyBoy on November 13, 2006 at 11:09 AM

Joe ran as an ‘I’ under the conditions that he’d caucus with the Dems. If he didn’t, he bascially be pooping on his constituents.

Joe wouldn’t do that.

Hoodlumman on November 13, 2006 at 11:23 AM

I’m so confused? Is Hillary Clinton a lesser evil now? I like hating Kos, but do I have to give up hating Hillary to be consistent?

frankj on November 13, 2006 at 11:59 AM

Joe is right where he belongs. Independent! I’d like to see Zell and Rudy start an Indepedent Party Ticket for 2008. I know it surely won’t happen. I’m sorry to say, I’m sick of the Reps and Dems. The constant backstabbing for political gain is disgusting, and is surely hurting our country…

soulsirkus on November 13, 2006 at 1:10 PM

People, please refrain from using the s-word in the comments section. Thank you.

Michelle on November 13, 2006 at 9:29 PM