Video: The Simpsons salute the lazy and uneducated

posted at 10:24 pm on November 12, 2006 by Allahpundit

Another morale-booster from Groening and company. How pitiful is it that Cracked magazine did a funnier job of lampooning John Kerry than the Simpsons did with the U.S. military?

With good episodes increasingly hard to come by, it might be time for Fox to consider a timetable for withdrawal of this particular placeholder in the Sunday night lineup.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I sent a polite yet disgusted email.

These kinds of jibes are old and dated; but to air them on the days that people are memorializing their loved ones is so low and heartless I can’t even believe someone approved it.

lauraw on November 13, 2006 at 11:32 AM

lauraw, you’re assuming they knew it was Veteran’s Day. Why would they know that?

Esthier on November 13, 2006 at 11:43 AM

I don’t know why this surprised anybody. The Simpsons have preached from the left for at least the last 5 seasons.

The show jumped the shark long time ago. the movie is the ultimate insult…

nothing to see here, just incoherent rambling of an old dotard of a show that should have been thriving in syndication a long time ago.

Besides, South Park does political parody way better than the Simpson’s could ever hope to.

assmasterflash on November 13, 2006 at 11:43 AM

I stopped watching the Simpsons about 10 years ago.

vcferlita on November 13, 2006 at 11:46 AM

Same ol same ‘ol. C’mon the distinguished gentleman from Massachuetts, the junior Senator John F. Kerry (D)has already told you that.
Keep speaking truth to power Kerry
/Oh wait he is the power now.

LakeRuins on November 13, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Frankly?

I’m more than a little tired of having my service crapped on by writers who (ostensibly, anyway) are trying to entertain me and/or convince me to buy the products of their advertisors and/or win my vote and/or get me to buy their book.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Bush is dumb, Iraq’s a quagmire, and only a prospectless fool would sign up to serve. We’ve heard it all before, you jerks and it wasn’t funny or profound six years ago, either.

Kadnine on November 13, 2006 at 12:02 PM

We need to keep reminding people that when we left Vietnam, the Communists killed more people in that region in 2 years than did the ENTIRE 15 year war.

We need to remind people that there is and was a genocidal campaign by the Communists against the Hmong. Not only was there that, but the Communists in Cambodia murdered some 1 million plus people.

Until we start attacking the idea that Vietnam was a bad idea, and that everything was fine after we left, we won’t be able to win a war.

Tim Burton on November 13, 2006 at 12:04 PM

assmasterflash on November 13, 2006 at 11:43 AM

You got that right.

thirteen28 on November 13, 2006 at 12:17 PM

Dave S made the point I wanted to make: it’s ironic that people who doodle for a living – (and they don’t even do their own doodling!) call people in the military stupid. How smart do you have to be to draw little cartoons for a living, write lines for characters that have never evolved, never changed in ANY WAY for the last 16 years and read lines that have been written for you in a little insulated room? I do a ton of voice over work and trust me – you don’t even have to know how to read to do it. One guy I worked with who gets a TON of work here and nationally didn’t know the word “curmudgeon”.
So those people are smarter than our military? They say that to make themselves feel good about not doing anything that contributes to society and to feel good about their own “selling out” to the man for big ca$h. Or perhaps they’re too stupid to even realize what hypocrites they are. OH, the irony!

foxforce91 on November 13, 2006 at 12:17 PM

I’ve wondered if anyone noticed the Army commercial during “American Dad”???

kiakjones on November 13, 2006 at 12:20 PM

I hate to do this, but I’ve been in denial for far too long. The Simpsons jumped the shark in Season 11. Apu had octuplets, Barney went sober, and Maude died. But I refuse to dwell on these sad times, but to remember happier days. BEST episode ever? Season five, Deep Space Homer, without which I would not be able to say, “I for one welcome our left wing overlords.”

BohicaTwentyTwo on November 13, 2006 at 12:41 PM

uh, The Simpsons is still on tv? shows you how much I pay attention…

pullingmyhairout on November 13, 2006 at 12:43 PM

Ten seconds of Google and I discovered that Every year, 1,100 U.S. college students commit suicide, and another 24,000 try to kill themselves.

Three years and nine months since Iraq was invaded.
3.75 x 1,100 = 4,125 campus suicides since Iraq invasion.
Anyone think the Simpsons writers give a shit?
Annual suicides ages 15-24, 5,000 @ 3.75 = 18,750
Anyone think the Simpsons writers give a shit?
2,845 US fatalities in Iraq.
Anyone think the Simpsons writers give a shit?

Wouldn’t it be a shame if civilians began spitting on Simpsons writers in airports, restaurants, traffic lights.
And then loaded that video onto GooTube.

Stephen M on November 13, 2006 at 2:55 AM

Excellent point.

The Simpsons has a movie coming out next year. If they can piss off enough people to start calling for boycotts and if they can get Bill O’Reilly to talk about how horrible this episode is, then they get all that free publicity. So what do you do? Keep quiet about it or give them exactly what they aired this episode for? Either way, they win.

CookeyD on November 13, 2006 at 10:29 AM

I suspect this was in response to my repeated point, that the only way to get enough negative attention to either draw an apology or start a boycott would be if Malkin brings it up to O’Reilly and he decides to run it. I totally see your point about the free publicity, but I also should point out that the Dixie Chicks film never even climbed out of the toilet and it had tons of free media publicity.

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 12:48 PM

I’ve wondered if anyone noticed the Army commercial during “American Dad”???

kiakjones on November 13, 2006 at 12:20 PM

I did.

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 12:49 PM

I’ve stopped watching the show and I stopped buying the DVD’s after the last one. On the commentary the writers and creator called Bush a “criminal idiot”.

I think hatred tends to kill your humorous creativity.

Jason on November 13, 2006 at 1:04 PM

One can only hope that, should Matt Groenig ever require help during an enemrgency, the National Guard troops would recognize him, and then play too dumb to be able to save his silly ass.

You’re drowning Mr. G.? Jeepers, which end of this nylon rope do I throw to you?… it’s so confusing… I’d better go back to base and check the manual, I’m so dumb… our apologies, Mr. G. … you know how moronic we are… hang in there for a few more hours till we get back… Sorry, I don’t understand what the word ‘Help’ means… is that Anglo-Saxon or Indo-Aryan?”

These cartoon clowns are like those who kick their own guard dogs to the point that they abandon them to their fate when trouble hits.

The “joke” writers just don’t know that trouble already hit.

It was oh so long ago on 9/11, and those now in uniform saving these comedians’ candy asses get this weasely backstab as thanks.

profitsbeard on November 13, 2006 at 1:07 PM

I have long felt that “humor” doesn’t excuse evil intent. I don’t have any interest in watching “Family Guy”, etc.,because while they may be hilarious at times, basically, they are appealing to the baser instincts. All manner of crudity is acceptable it seems as long as you make it “funny”. Well, this Simpsons episode is the flip side of that. Fans of this type if comedy show can’t expect any better. This was really BAD.

Teal on November 13, 2006 at 1:28 PM

Machiavelli, in The Prince, teaches us how we can subdue a “determined local populus.”

Troy Rasmussen on November 13, 2006 at 1:55 PM

True point, but the Dixie Chicks had a conservative fan base that they had already alienated. They really had no one left to go see their movie, regardless of the amount of publicity it got. How many non-country music listeners really want to sit through a Dixie Chicks yawn fest just because it’s a Bush-basher?

But I do see your point. People should speak out about this. I’m a fairly laid back person. I don’t get offended easily. I think most of the time people need to lighten up and laugh, but this was just unacceptable. We have people DYING over there and the one weekend we use to celebrate their contribution and protection of our freedom, they get treated like this. “Wrong” doesn’t even begin to cover it.

CookeyD on November 13, 2006 at 1:58 PM

My eternal dislike of this show is at last vindicated.

Halley on November 13, 2006 at 2:02 PM

To papraphrase Comic Book Guy, “Worse Episode Ever!”

DrEvil on November 13, 2006 at 2:05 PM

I’m not defending the Simpsons nor the message; but it’s the Simpsons, what do you expect from them?

When you put a bunch of liberal Bush haters in a room with a pen, this is what happens.

Ian on November 13, 2006 at 2:13 PM

The Simpsons go leftist…I didn’t realize the writers were so close to senility.

Black Adam on November 13, 2006 at 2:14 PM

Killed in car accidents 42,116*
Killed by the common flu 20,000* (CDC estimate)
Killed by murders 15,517*
Killed in airline crashes
(of 477m passenger trips) 120 (1)
Killed by lightning strikes 90*

Killed by Anthrax 5

From 2000…..

Romeo13 on November 13, 2006 at 3:59 PM

“Can’t subdue a determined local population”

What, and the Germans and Japanese weren’t determined? Anybody study the history of warfare? DAMN!

Iblis on November 13, 2006 at 4:01 PM

This reminds me of almost every TV show from the 70s and early 80s – the military universally portrayed as bumbling, incompetent, and dishonest. I thought we had gotten beyond that. Some things never change. Scum.

JohnW on November 13, 2006 at 6:45 PM

People, please stop using the s-word here, ok?

Michelle on November 13, 2006 at 9:27 PM