Video: The Simpsons salute the lazy and uneducated

posted at 10:24 pm on November 12, 2006 by Allahpundit

Another morale-booster from Groening and company. How pitiful is it that Cracked magazine did a funnier job of lampooning John Kerry than the Simpsons did with the U.S. military?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Extremely disappointing on so many levels.

SouthernGent on November 12, 2006 at 10:26 PM

Thanks for posting this. People on LGF and hotair were already commenting. I’m glad you posted this. I sent an e-mail to hotair after this aired since it was such a disgusting episode.

I better see burqua jokes soon or this show may have lost me.

Canadian Infidel

Canadian Infidel on November 12, 2006 at 10:33 PM

Thanks for posting AP…. As I said in my email, the Abu Ghraib part was actually pretty funny (though my idiot ass called it the Gitmo part in my rush to get that email off to you), but the overall theme pisses me off. Again, this was basically what happened in last week’s Family Guy episode… They’ve got to start planting that seed if they want the next two years of new 18 year old’s to vote their way in 2008 though right? So who can blame ‘em.

RightWinged on November 12, 2006 at 10:33 PM

Yeah, I just watched this episode…

Beyond disappointing

Opinionnation on November 12, 2006 at 10:36 PM

More horn please.

Savage on November 12, 2006 at 10:38 PM

Ahh, I was hoping this would be noticed… uncanny timing. I don’t know how ANYone could EVER have distorted Kerry’s words so much, no one could POSSIBLY believe a Dem would think the military are dumb…

Alex K on November 12, 2006 at 10:40 PM

“With good episodes increasingly hard to come by, it might be time for Fox to consider a timetable for withdrawal of this particular placeholder in the Sunday night lineup.”

Yeah, but isn’t still getting good ratings? People are incredibly stupid. And it hasn’t been good in about six or seven years.

Alex K on November 12, 2006 at 10:41 PM

They had this episode ready to go for months now. Why would they run it after Kerry’s “botched joke?” Doesn’t this also give lie to all the Kerry apologist out there? The ones pushing the “no one would suggest soldiers are inherently lazy and educated slackers incapable of making it in the real world” Remember that?

billy on November 12, 2006 at 10:43 PM

As disgusting as this episode was, it did not compare to Family Guy last week.

zerodamage on November 12, 2006 at 10:43 PM

FYI–matt groening stopped writing for this show after the first few seasons. since then, it’s been written by a crack team of harvard undergrads.

Free Kurdistan on November 12, 2006 at 10:45 PM

How could they do something like this on Veterans Day Weekend?

billy on November 12, 2006 at 10:48 PM

Worst. Episode. Ever.

Good Lt on November 12, 2006 at 10:53 PM

Here’s the email address to send Fox feedback on shows. We need to start contacting them about this crap.

askfox@foxinc.com

I’m sending them an earful. Besides not being funny, it’s just plain disrespectful …. and on Veteran’s Day weekend. Matt Groening must be some proud POS. Please send your thoughts.

Jiggity on November 12, 2006 at 10:55 PM

As disgusting as this episode was, it did not compare to Family Guy last week.

zerodamage on November 12, 2006 at 10:43 PM

How could they do something like this on Veterans Day Weekend?

billy on November 12, 2006 at 10:48 PM

Excellent point billy. Fucking disgraceful. As much as I’ve enjoyed the Simpsons over the years this warrants a boycott. I wish I had the ability to make enough noise about this to get it national attention.

Confirming what we know the left thinks about the military, despite their history and their insisting they didn’t feel this way throughout the “botched joke” fiasco? Check! Mocking the military on Veteran’s Day effing weekend!? Disgraceful huge check!

AP, might Malkin be able to point O’Reilly’s nose at this thing? We all agree it’s shameful, but billy’s point just points out how disgusting it truly is. Fox broadcasting and the Simpson’s program and writers should make a public apology, there is no excuse for this. Again, as shitty as this is anyway, couldn’t they have at the very least held it for another week?

RightWinged on November 12, 2006 at 10:57 PM

Ugh! Pure drivel and absolutely no humor. Regardless of the writers’ feelings about the situation in Iraq, the war on terror, Bush – or anything else – do they have to portray the military in such a dispicable way or is no standard a standard in itself?

thedecider on November 12, 2006 at 11:03 PM

On Veterans Day Weekend… Fucking scum-bags.

x95b10 on November 12, 2006 at 11:06 PM

bleh. the Simpsons used to be funny, edgy even. but to take shots at the military on Veterans Day weekend is tasteless & shameful. I’m beyond speechless.

stevezilla on November 12, 2006 at 11:07 PM

Wait. The simpsons is still on the air?

lorien1973 on November 12, 2006 at 11:09 PM

The Family Guy episode from last week is pretty bad. You can see it here.

SnakeintheGrass on November 12, 2006 at 11:17 PM

I talked about a boycott and figuring out a way to get this the national attention and condemnation it deserves, but it will be completely overshadowed by this non-scandal due to a Drudge link. The MSM will push this is some type of abuse and/or sexual harassment and say it’s some result of Bush putting them in a new Vietnam, etc. etc. (you know the rest of how it will go)… They’ll knock a few more points off of Bush’s approval like they do with every bogus scandal, before it’s dropped, the girl who laughs the whole time comes out and says “we were clowning around”, then they’ll drop the story to move on to the next bogus “scandal”… but again, not without taking some digs at the war, military, and Bush.

RightWinged on November 12, 2006 at 11:20 PM

Drudge has been ruined by his desperation for media affirmation. Still a decent news aggregator, but a terrible reporter.

Slublog on November 12, 2006 at 11:23 PM

I think the last time I watched The Simpsons was 1998.

Give it up Fox, South Park cleaned your clock years ago.

infidel4life on November 12, 2006 at 11:23 PM

Sorry, I just don’t see it.

What DOESN’T “The Simpsons” make fun of? I consider this more a slap at John F’n Kerry than at the military.

Illbay on November 12, 2006 at 11:24 PM

OK everyone, time for the Simpsons to jump the shark.

It’ll only take a few thousand of us. Get on board and pass the word. Post comments.

Canadian Infidel

Canadian Infidel on November 12, 2006 at 11:26 PM

…Homer…jumped…the…shark….

…mmmmmmmmmmmmmm…shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark….

Puritan1648 on November 12, 2006 at 11:26 PM

the predator drone scene was very funny
beyond that it was pathetic

Defector01 on November 12, 2006 at 11:30 PM

I’m just watching this on the West Coast, and knew there would be something about this here. Simpsons exemplifies the hate and distrust the media elite have for the US military. Remember, only the stupid join the military…not the patriotic.

StoutRepublican on November 12, 2006 at 11:30 PM

Am i wrong, but isn’t the flag hanging the wrong way during the bootcamp scene?

joeswampy on November 12, 2006 at 11:35 PM

Don’t judge Drudge so harsh.

I’m glad he posted the video. I don’t give a damn what the media says about it. This video shows two important things:

1. High morale among the troops. If the troops were demoralized, they wouldn’t be clowning around like this. The girl is obviously laughing throughout.

2. Why I would never allow my daughter to join the military.

Ali-Bubba on November 12, 2006 at 11:36 PM

I think I should clarify I was referring to the video linked by RightWinged, not the Simpsons.

Ali-Bubba on November 12, 2006 at 11:38 PM

The girl is obviously laughing throughout.

That’s not the spin Drudge is putting on the story. He’s trying to get noticed, so he’s tossing out the ‘military is displeased’ story line out.

Drudge lost his edge a long time ago. I think lgf inherited it.

Slublog on November 12, 2006 at 11:40 PM

Wow. That was a crappy sentence I wrote.

It should read – “He’s trying to get noticed, so he’s tossing out the ‘military is displeased’ story line.

Slublog on November 12, 2006 at 11:41 PM

“That’s what I’ve been saying… everyone must have missed it or something because I haven’t had anyone really back me up on it.”

I’ve heard that, Rightwinged, but I didn’t see it. The difference between it and The Simpsons is that Family Guy was never good. But I will now watch the episode in question because that way I will be doing something other than the work I should be doing. In fact, I have a theory that 90% of Family Guy and Simpsons viewers are people procastinating from Sunday night homework.

Alex K on November 12, 2006 at 11:41 PM

Sorry, I just don’t see it.

Illbay on November 12, 2006 at 11:24 PM

You have got to be kidding? Where is there any veiled reference to Kerry’s comments? Like the Family Guy episode it paints recruiters as a bunch of liars who come sell a party image to idiots and kids, and but the reality is shit. And that the military is full of a bunch of idiots. Where do you get any reference to Kerry’s comments at all? It’s simply an onscreen portrayal of the charicature of military recruiters and new recruits that the left has been preaching for years.

RightWinged on November 12, 2006 at 11:46 PM

Wow. Terrible episode.

SaidinUnleashed on November 12, 2006 at 11:52 PM

Sorry, I just don’t see it.

Illbay on November 12, 2006 at 11:24 PM

When the Simpsons make fun of someone, they bring out the person they’re making fun of or someone that looks and sounds like him/her.

And they did exactly that.

They brought out military recruiters, an army officer, and army recruits and made fun of them for being stupid for joining the army.

Christoph on November 12, 2006 at 11:54 PM

Didn’t anyone else notice what Lisa said at the end of the episode? Something to the effect of “Do you see now that an invading force can never defeat a motivated local population.”

Redeployment to Okinawa, anyone? The writers seem to think it’s a good idea.

Sean M. on November 12, 2006 at 11:58 PM

…does anyone *actually* believe that the same generation which tossed dog sh*t on returning veterans, now with position and influence, will have changed their views on the military in *ANY* way?

They’ve just been playing the whole “…but we support the military” canard in hopes that nobody’d remember. They count on the short memories of some, and the courtesy of others — manners they don’t have themselves — to weave their webs and make their point.

…so…call their bluff as rudely as possible.

Puritan1648 on November 13, 2006 at 12:00 AM

By the way everyone, I linked to the video that Drudge is hyping right now, but I’m not in the camp of Drudge bashers here, I just wanted to clarify that. I’m actually listening to Drudge radio as we speak type and he’s pre-mocking (as I did) the way the media will spin this. He’s only posting because he likes to be first, but it’s not like he posted the video. Everyone would have found it eventually, and done exactly what they’re going to do… make it in to something it’s not. Drudge does quote an unname Pentagon source as not being amused, but that’s not a big surprise. It’s like a sports team coach getting mad at locker room antics. But just wait and see what the media does with it.

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 12:00 AM

Can you give me a hyperlink to the Drudge radio station you’re listening to, Randy?

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 12:03 AM

Thanks.

Matt is through. Groening that is. Drudge is forever.

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 12:07 AM

I was disgusted by this. But even more so was I offended by last week’s “Family Guy” episode which depicted DEAD uniformed American soldiers “guarding” an ammo shed.

see for yourdelf:

BreezeCJ on November 13, 2006 at 12:13 AM

Sorry, Here’s that limk

BreezeCJ on November 13, 2006 at 12:14 AM

I caught that. What a crappy episode to air. And what a crappy time to air it- on Veteran’s Day weekend.

Are there ANY funny conservatives out there (besides Matt & Trey)? We need representation on non-cable TV!

NTWR on November 13, 2006 at 12:17 AM

Speaking of Drudge, God I hate it when he does this (but since he’s talking to Audrey from Vermont right now I’ll forgive him). He’s got his leading story headlined:

PAPER: CHINA SUB STALKS USS KITTY HAWK

… but he has no link the the story or source.

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 12:18 AM

PAPER: CHINA SUB STALKS USS KITTY HAWK

… but he has no link the the story or source.

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 12:18 AM

To clarify, Audrey was from “West of Vermont”, and actually in Los Angeles (from what I gathered)… I on the other hand am in Vermont, home of highest taxes per capita, civil unions, and openly socialist national politicians! Yaaaay!

Anyway, regarding that story without a link… he does that when there is no link yet, because it’s only breaking. The story will likely be all over the MSM by morning…. unless the Bushluminati is able to put a hush on the story to hide our vulnerability.

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 12:24 AM

NTWR on November 13, 2006 at 12:17 AM

lol… now THAT was funny. Do you think they would EVER put a conservative funny man on network television? Drew Carey is probably as close as it gets, and it’s been a while since he’s been on network TV… and I think most of what we’ve known about his personal views and troops support has come after his network TV days.

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 12:26 AM

I know, Randy, but gee… I’m so sorry. I remember once you told me you’re from Vermont, but I thought you were joking.

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 12:27 AM

To our detriment. I miss Drew. Love the reruns though!

thedecider on November 13, 2006 at 12:30 AM

I’m joking, Randy. Vermont sounds great ever sense Bob Hope moved there.

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 12:32 AM

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 12:27 AM

Haha, wish I was joking. No, I don’t really mean that. It’s great outside of the taxes and insane liberalism… and extreme cold. One of the cleanest and safest places in the country you could possibly live though, seriously.

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 12:34 AM

Christoph, Drudge just put up the link on the Chinese Sub stalking Kitty Halk story.

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 12:39 AM

(sorry for the unrelated link, but thought everyone might enjoy this)

Run for your lives everyone! It’s the insane, global warming induced, 2006 hurricane season….. oh wait.

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 12:43 AM

(scroll down to the chart near the bottom)

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 12:43 AM

The Family Guy episode from last week is pretty bad. You can see it here.

SnakeintheGrass on November 12, 2006 at 11:17 PM

Saw that (intentionally missed the Simpsons. Watched this clip, tho)… just as bad.

Ugly on November 13, 2006 at 12:53 AM

A commentor at LGF had a great sugestion…

OK everyone, time for the Simpsons to jump the shark.

dm60462 on November 13, 2006 at 1:03 AM

I followed someone’s link to Jump the Shark… it’s too much work, people won’t follow through.

I still say the best shot we have is for MM to see if O’Reilly has any interest in this. Depending on “real news”, I think there’s a decent chance he may if he gets to take a look at the last couple weeks of these shows, is shown what huge followings they have, and tie it in with the fact that they confirm what we all accuse the left of feeling about the military, and further confirming that Kerry said what he meant and meant what he said.

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 1:09 AM

These haters of the USA and the military wil get what they deserve,t he time wil come whent hey vote in enough socialists and coomies and terrorist haters our our country beceomes a place where people who make the simpsons wil be dragged out of their hole, and executed, heads sawed off, by those they brought into power…

It could even happen witing my lifetime.. and I am 50 years old…

retired on November 13, 2006 at 1:09 AM

I never got this… people who draw cartoons, usually of very mediocre quality at best, feeling as though they are qualified to insult people who are probably smarter than them.

The Simpson’s is okay, but he should remember that what he does doesn’t really contribute much of value to society and isn’t refelctive of any extraordinary intelligence that would qualify him to make any sort of credible commentary about the intelligence of our troops. He has the right to say it, but that doesn’t make him less of an idiot for thinking we should listen to him.

DaveS on November 13, 2006 at 1:29 AM

Re: the Kitty Hawk/China sub incident.

Adm. William J. Fallon’s career is almost certainly over.

As is that of the task force commander. He can kiss 4 stars good by.

georgej on November 13, 2006 at 2:06 AM

Out of curiousity, what do you base that on, georgej?

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 2:43 AM

“The Simpson’s is okay, but he should remember that what he does doesn’t really contribute much of value to society…”

Laughter isn’t valuable to society?

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 2:44 AM

Oh, you crazy right-wingers. This was obviously a botched joke poking fun at Nancy Pelosi.

It’s Obvious!

haakondahl on November 13, 2006 at 5:07 AM

Wouldn’t it be a shame if civilians began spitting on Simpsons writers in airports, restaurants, traffic lights.

You know what the writers look like? Besides, spitting on people you disagree with is a stinky hippie tactic.

Sean M. on November 13, 2006 at 5:09 AM

Everyone sounds so surprised, why? you had to expect the unhinged to act like this.. they dont know how to do anything else, Im not making excuses for them, theyre still nothing but a bunch of cowardly d-bags.

Viper1 on November 13, 2006 at 6:03 AM

…but don’t question their loyalty. Right

Zorro on November 13, 2006 at 7:00 AM

Doh!

Joe on November 13, 2006 at 7:38 AM

What’s with all the f-bombs, Allah? Nothing like waking up, reading comments from users and seeing that lovely word.

robblefarian on November 13, 2006 at 7:42 AM

Absolutely disgusting.

Laney on November 13, 2006 at 7:54 AM

Laughter isn’t valuable to society?

You laughed at that?

DaveS on November 13, 2006 at 8:31 AM

Well, some laughter isn’t valuable…I mean, if John Kerry fell down the steps of his private airplane on national tv and broke his nose, it wouldn’t be funny but I’d probably laugh myself into a vapor lock. That would be more the kin to cruelty that you see among teenagers; they might be laughing at some goth girl while her soul is being cut into small pieces. Simpsons sees itself as top in the satire business; sad to see them take such an egregious shot at the military..and don’t bother questioning the timing..that was the giant ‘f. o. and d. America’ for the entire season. Nice to see the dems have another propaganda arm.

austinnelly on November 13, 2006 at 8:49 AM

Does anyone remember the episode in season 3 with the recuiting poster: “Join the Army!! See the opposing Army!!”

Or when Homer joined the Naval Reserve?

The only service the Simpsons EVER made look good, was when the Marine punched Homer at the embassy and said “We don’t tolerate that crap in America sir!”

Ringmaster on November 13, 2006 at 8:58 AM

There may be a little over reaction to this I think. They made fun of the absurd torture charges on this episode as well. They took pot shots at both sides which is what the Simpson’s usually do. I do not think they were saying that the Army is full of idiots either; only a couple of the characters were considered idiots and those were Homer (you think?) and the hick character who’s name I can not recall. I recommend everyone see it all before making a judgment on it.

zerodamage on November 13, 2006 at 9:12 AM

and the hick character who’s name I can not recall.

Cletus.

Ringmaster on November 13, 2006 at 9:14 AM

and the hick character who’s name I can not recall.
Cletus.

OH! Sorry, that wasn’t the one last night. I’ve never seen that one before actually.

DOH!

Ringmaster on November 13, 2006 at 9:15 AM

Is anyone really surprised over this? I’m not at all. This is par for the course from writers who know only how to serve themselves.

But don’t freak out! I grew up watching The Simpsons, and I haven’t become some anti-military, Christian hating secular progressive.

If you’re conservative when you’re young, you don’t have a heart…if you’re a liberal when you’re older, you don’t have a brain!

budorob on November 13, 2006 at 9:27 AM

I’m glad you posted this. It seriously angered me last night. What is Groeing’s deal here?

zerodamage on November 13, 2006 at 9:12 AM

I watched the whole thing. I’m giving up on that show. It hasn’t been funny in years, and it’s only pissing me off.

Even the dumbest teenagers in the dumbest towns in the dumbest state know better than to join the army.

Truth is, that’s all you need to hear before making a judgement.

Esthier on November 13, 2006 at 9:29 AM

Everyone sounds so surprised, why?

I don’t expect much from the Simpsons. It’s a horrible show that is only getting worse with time. But yeah, I expected better than this, at least a little better.

Our troops are dying over seas. But aparently, according to Groeing, our troops are dumber than the “dumbest teenagers in the dumbest town in the dumbest state”.

Esthier on November 13, 2006 at 9:32 AM

Laughter isn’t valuable to society?

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 2:44 AM

Did you see something funny in that episode? I was drunk last night and still didn’t even find one thing to laugh at.

Esthier on November 13, 2006 at 9:34 AM

…so…call their bluff as rudely as possible.

Puritan1648 on November 13, 2006 at 12:00 AM

How?

Esthier on November 13, 2006 at 9:35 AM

Illbay on November 12, 2006 at 11:24 PM

Anyone on the Left. How was it a slap at Kerry? It was only confirming what Kerry supposedly didn’t mean to say.

It was making fun of recruiters being in schools and manipulating teens, something the Left has several books on already.

The Simpsons only insults the Right. The worst they’ve done against Clinton was to insult him for being a girl-chaser. Wow. That’s brilliant. I mean really, what else is there to talk about anyway?

I mean it’s not like Clinton started (and quickly ran from) an unpopular war. It’s not like Clinton sexually harrassed women before trying to bribe them. It’s not like Clinton gave secrets to the Chinese or sold access to his office and the Lincoln bedrooms.

Oh, wait…

Esthier on November 13, 2006 at 9:43 AM

…so…call their bluff as rudely as possible. —
Puritan1648

How? — Esthier

…watch me….

Puritan1648 on November 13, 2006 at 10:00 AM

The Simpsons has a movie coming out next year. If they can piss off enough people to start calling for boycotts and if they can get Bill O’Reilly to talk about how horrible this episode is, then they get all that free publicity. So what do you do? Keep quiet about it or give them exactly what they aired this episode for? Either way, they win.

CookeyD on November 13, 2006 at 10:29 AM

I use to like the Simpsons… At least they pointed out that some many rednecks have Christmas party photos in their pockets of a pile of naked people being pointed to and laughed at by a hillbilly girl (only funny line in the clip btw).

RalphyBoy on November 13, 2006 at 10:57 AM