Pelosi endorses Murtha for majority leader

posted at 7:56 pm on November 12, 2006 by Allahpundit

What better way to assuage fears about Democrats being too dovish and anti-military than to back America’s foremost spokesman for cut and run — who once famously pronounced Haditha a case of murder “in cold blood” while the investigation was still ongoing?

We’re off to a good bipartisan start here:

“Your strong voice for national security, the war on terror and Iraq provides genuine leadership for our party, and I count on you to continue to lead on these vital issues,” Pelosi wrote Murtha Sunday in a letter obtained by The Hill. “For this and for all you have done for Democrats in the past and especially this last year, I am pleased to support your candidacy for majority leader for the 110th Congress.”…

“Nancy told me some time ago that she would personally support Jack. I respect her decision as the two are very close,” Hoyer said in a statement. “I am grateful for the support I have from my colleagues, and have the majority of the caucus supporting me. I look forward to working with Speaker Pelosi as Majority Leader.”…

One Democrat supporting Hoyer, who asked to remain anonymous, said the letter signaled desperation in the Murtha camp.

“It appears to me that Murtha had to pull Nancy forward because he was behind in votes,” the Democrat said. “This is not a surprise he was very important to her. [But] it’s a secret ballot and Steny has a lot of diverse support.”

I’ve got video of Dean-o and Reid from this morning’s gab shows talking about Vietnam and reviving the Reed-Levin “cut and jog” plan. Standby for the update. While you’re waiting, read Alaa: “Democrat or republican, America has no option but to find a way to win this war. All real Americans must be as sure of that as all real Iraqis.”

Update: We had recording problems this morning so we didn’t get Carl Levin telling George Stephanopoulos that withdrawal should begin in four to six months. We did, however, get Dean on Fox News Sunday and Harry Reid on Face the Nation; neither one of them is proposing a timetable, although Reid does sound warm to Levin’s idea — if the generals agree.

He also wants a regional conference involving Syria and, presumably, Iran. And you know what? He just might get one. Says Moran:

The Iranians don’t only want us defeated. They want the US humiliated. Any negotiations with the mullahs will be long, drawn out, and designed to show the world how powerless we are to affect events in the region. In the meantime, our soldiers will continue to die, the Iraqi government will continue to dither, and the body count of civilians will spiral upwards.

Phased withdrawal my ass. If we have decided to bug out, let’s leave as quickly as possible. If victory is not to be had at any price then it is immoral to keep our men and women in harms way simply to appease domestic sensibilities. Yes Iraq will devolve into madness and chaos. We can deal with that situation in the context of the War on Terror. Asking someone to put their life on the line for no reason save assuaging the consciences of politicians is stupid.

And Steyn, the pessimist di tutti pessimists:

[W]e’re in a very dark place right now. It has been a long time since America unambiguously won a war, and to choose to lose Iraq would be an act of such parochial self-indulgence that the American moment would not endure, and would not deserve to…

“These Colors Don’t Run” is a fine T-shirt slogan, but in reality these colors have spent 40 years running from the jungles of Southeast Asia, the helicopters in the Persian desert, the streets of Mogadishu. … To add the sands of Mesopotamia to the list will be an act of weakness from which America will never recover.

Update: Dean and Reid won’t propose a timetable. Will Tony Blair?

Update: IraqPundit considers four options. Reed-Levin is not his favorite:

Withdrawing U.S. troops as quickly as possible while leaving security concerns to the Iraqi government, an option favored by such newly empowered Democrats as Sen. Carl Levin, would almost certainly lead to unmitigated disaster. It’s easy to wag one’s senatorial finger in Maliki’s ineffectual face. But what about the Iraqi civilians who are at his mercy? A U.S. that abandons Iraqis to religious butchers would be finished in the Middle East for the foreseeable future.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yes, but so what? I mean, Jack Murtha was a marine before he was a corrupt congressman before he was a moonbat before he becomes majority leader. Isn’t that the usual Democrat leader resume?

Christoph on November 12, 2006 at 8:03 PM

It begins. I should add him to this video.

RightWinged on November 12, 2006 at 8:06 PM

I love it. THIS, folks, is what the country is going to see from the Dems for the next two years. And the best part – they own it! If the Republicans can’t win back both houses by the next election after this then they deserve to lose.

thedecider on November 12, 2006 at 8:08 PM

Stop attacking a veteran, damn you all!

Seixon on November 12, 2006 at 8:10 PM

Great video RightWinged. Shockingly true.

thedecider on November 12, 2006 at 8:11 PM

Great video RightWinged. Shockingly true.

thedecider on November 12, 2006 at 8:11 PM

Thanks… admittedly it’s pretty pointless, but was just a training exercise when I first discovered Windows Movie Maker… and the Kerry/Edwards part is funny if nothing else (I think).

RightWinged on November 12, 2006 at 8:13 PM

Put a senile guy in as majority leader and he’s just forget all the damage he creates.

JammieWearingFool on November 12, 2006 at 8:16 PM

Yeah, and it turned out he was right. He’s said many times he had inside information from within the Pentagon about developments in the investigation before he opened his mouth.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of your feigned outrage, hwoever. Remember, American soldiers have absolute moral authority and their actions can never be questioned, like Cindy Sheehan, Max Cleland and Tammy Duckworth, right?

Grebrook on November 12, 2006 at 8:18 PM

For the record, Hoyer seemed to make more sense for Speaker, Murtha for whip and Pelosi for majority leader.

Grebrook on November 12, 2006 at 8:20 PM

Funny video Rightwinged. Afternoon Delight. heh.

Scot on November 12, 2006 at 8:50 PM

Yeah, and it turned out he was right.

It did?? Shit, I missed the verdicts entirely. When were the trials?

Allahpundit on November 12, 2006 at 8:59 PM

Was Murtha’s “redeploy the troops to Okinawa” comment a botched joke?

Was it an obscure euphemistic reference to anal sex?

I would LOVE for Bush to suddenly start talking about his new re-deploy to Okinawa strategy. How could the press bash it?? Murtha came up with it.

That would be a fun news cycle if Bush did that as a joke.

Rosetta on November 12, 2006 at 9:02 PM

HELLO!!?? Murtha has a “Golden Moral Authority” Card!! Stop criticizing him!!

Troy Rasmussen on November 12, 2006 at 9:11 PM

Oh , Please!
If true..
Thank You, Nancy ’2PAC’ Pelosi!
There is a God.

normsrevenge on November 12, 2006 at 9:15 PM

I still think the country would benefit if Dorothy would just splash Pelosi with a bucket of water …

And find Murtha a brain …

ValhallaMike on November 12, 2006 at 9:18 PM

Hasn’t the Prime Minister of Iraq been extremely arrogant to the U.S. lately? I remember him chastising American troops for an accident. The Shiites to me seem no better than the Sunnis, so the threat that we will be leaving the poor Shiites to Sunni butchers doesn’t cut it any more. To me, this is the picture of the poor Shiites.http://www.newprophecy.net/Muqtada_al-Sadr_2.jpg

The Prime Minister has a few months to get ready for troops to start leaving. I’m not for pulling out the troops immediately, but everyone knows that the Dems are going to attempt to get them out of Iraq. Bush hates confrontation with Democrats and might even back a timetable.

Both our troops and Republicans have sacrificed too much for the Shiites, including losing both the House and Senate. It is probably good that the Shiites are starting to fear we will leave. If we stop nation building we can start focusing on our interests: Getting the terrorists, killing them, and making sure they cannot use governments in the Middle East as support. We don’t need to nation build, especially building religious Shiite ones with Sharia law.

januarius on November 12, 2006 at 9:22 PM

He’s a ‘war hero’ people, show some respect!

infidel4life on November 12, 2006 at 9:23 PM

Remember, American soldiers have absolute moral authority and their actions can never be questioned….

Remember, former American soldiers who turn against their own government have absolute moral authority and their actions can never be questioned.

Fixed that for you.

B Moe on November 12, 2006 at 9:40 PM

Can you imagine nation building in Korea and Japan right after WWII and having to deal with an anti-American leader at the same time? We wouldn’t tolerate it, so why are we tolerating it now? This is probably the best solution:

Maliki said he saw only “slight” change in U.S. policy and, answering a journalist’s question about persistent speculation in Iraq that Washington might oust him, added: “For America to conduct a military coup in Iraq would be tantamount to suicide.”

Get rid of the arrogant, anti-American SOB and replace him with a pro-American leader who can bring stability and will be serious about training their military. Seal off the borders and keep killing the terrorists. Wait on the democracy thing until there is stability.

Can anyone think of any nation that went from poverty and chaos to wealth and stability starting off with mob rule? Every wealthy country in Asia has had some type of post-WWII dictatorship: Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan, and South Korea. Japan was already an advanced country by 1900. I can’t think of any nation in Asia that has prospered or has been stabilized the way we attempted to nation build in Iraq. Let’s forget democracy in Iraq for the time being.

januarius on November 12, 2006 at 9:52 PM

They couldn’t even make it a week before the crazy talk started…

Don’t you love farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you’d want what I want.
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don’t bother, they’re here.

elgeneralisimo on November 12, 2006 at 9:53 PM

American presence in Iraq is more dangerous to world peace than nuclear threats from North Korea or Iran, Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., said

To them, our troops are cold-blooded killers, Nazis, terrorists, the forces of Stalin, worse than Saddam Hussein, and are ‘more dangerous to world peace’ than a nuclear Iran and North Korea…

… And now they lead our country. I guess I’m not surprised some want to secure the rights of terrorists

Opinionnation on November 12, 2006 at 9:55 PM

“Everybody in America understands Iraq was a mistake.”
“Cut our loses”
“The President didn’t know what he was doing…”
“Didn’t we learn this lesson in Vietnam.”

At least Dean is ‘staying the course’ with his arrogant and inaccurate rhetoric. So much for bipartisanship.

Dinghy Harry appears to realize that bitching about the war and actually having to come up with a plan and try to do something are two different things. He sounds like he is admitting that we are not leaving Iraq anytime soon.

Mallard T. Drake on November 12, 2006 at 9:56 PM

Hasn’t the Prime Minister of Iraq been extremely arrogant to the U.S. lately?

Yup. And now he’s telling BBC that the United States and the Coalition have an obligation under Security Council resolutions to maintain security in Iraq until Iraqi security forces can take over.
Which, doesn’t that make the cut and run Dems arrogant in their defiance of the UN? Does that work if it’s Dems?

Stephen M on November 12, 2006 at 9:57 PM

I wouldn’t care if he was Audie F—ing Murphy himself, that wouldn’t give him a pass for stabbing our troops–his fellow Marines, no less–in the back in the court of public opinion months before any investigation was complete, let alone a trial. And anybody who thinks that getting smeared by a sitting U.S. Congressman doesn’t jeopardize those Marines’ chances of a fair hearing is an idiot. Way to be a Blue Falcon, you corrupt senile old bastard.

Instead of letting people who know nothing of war and nothing of heroes tell me who’s an unassailable “war hero”, I’m going to go with the old Marine who said that Murtha’s the worst case of ‘Semper I’ he’s ever seen.

ReubenJCogburn on November 12, 2006 at 10:01 PM

I propose we let her take care of it all.

The irony would be delicious!

SouthernGent on November 12, 2006 at 10:17 PM

It did?? Shit, I missed the verdicts entirely. When were the trials?

Allahpundit on November 12, 2006 at 8:59 PM

I just saw Grebrook in the military archives. He’s looking and will be back to you soon.

Entelechy on November 12, 2006 at 10:21 PM

You know, there is a lesson in this for our little leftie friends who think greed doesn’t pay: if Murtha hadn’t been greedy for more money and taken the bribe offered, he would have been busted in ABSCAM and gone from the House. Instead he stood on his principles, refused to sell out cheap, and look where he is now.

B Moe on November 12, 2006 at 10:32 PM

RightWinged,

Excellent video! All of ‘em are Looney Toons. Murtha would fit in nicely with your “Rogue’s Gallery.”

AP: We need to “restore” Habeus Corpus” for captured jihadis, but Grebrook is judge and jury for our troops. Amazing!

hillbillyjim on November 12, 2006 at 10:40 PM

Yeah, and it turned out he was right.

It did?? Shit, I missed the verdicts entirely. When were the trials?

Allahpundit on November 12, 2006 at 8:59 PM

I’m not sure, but I heard the trials were held at the DailyKos, and sentencing took place at the HuffingtonPost… I’ll get back to you if I find out more.

RightWinged on November 12, 2006 at 10:50 PM

(damn, no blockquote within a blockquote)

RightWinged on November 12, 2006 at 10:50 PM

Steyn makes a good point. Is this it? Has Vietnam established the precedent that we are forevermore not allowed to win wars outright? I had hoped it was an aberation.

Coyote D. on November 12, 2006 at 11:01 PM

Im having the most “obnoxious democrat/moonbat/foreign america hater” poll vote and thought Id offer the chance to vote here. Can go to the site and read about it and click and vote without registering. Is the current list of crazies we all know and dislike

William Amos on November 12, 2006 at 11:08 PM

You can’t win wars when you forget that your goal is to kill the enemy; not make nice with them. If the US pulls out here, I agree with Steyn, its a tough road to come back from, again. Took us 30 years to comeback from Vietnam.

lorien1973 on November 12, 2006 at 11:11 PM

Anyone who believes in the bipartisanship talk currently circulating is a fool. This happens EVERY TIME an election puts the two parties in direct opposition. Then reality intrudes a few months later and its straight to gridlock and nastiness.

That having been said, it looks like Comrade Pelosi is firing off the opening salvos of the democrat party civil war I predicted after election day. Who will win? The wingnuts or the moderates? When it comes to dems I’d vote for the latter, of course, but the lefties are cunning foes. They’ll stick a knife in your back every chance they get, and smile while they’re doing it.

jaleach on November 12, 2006 at 11:18 PM

Its a nightmare that keeps getting worse.

infidel on November 12, 2006 at 11:26 PM

most “obnoxious democrat/moonbat/foreign america hater” poll

Cindy Sheehan, hands down.

hillbillyjim on November 12, 2006 at 11:26 PM

Well, now Nancy can’t help the constant smile; it’s the cost of all those lifts, plus she can’t blink or close her eyes when she goes to sleep…
So sad.
Speaking of sleep, when do I get to wake up from this nightmare?!?

Jen the Neocon on November 12, 2006 at 11:32 PM

Apocalyptic.

JustTruth101 on November 12, 2006 at 11:34 PM

…Murtha…Pelosi…Reid…damnation, why not Medea Benjamin for Director of Central Intelligence, Zacarias Moussaoui for head of the FAA and Cindy Sheehan for Secretary of State. They could have Hugo Chavez over for tea and crumpets, while all the little unicorns played patty-cake amid the wind-tossed daisies….

…”I’d like to teach the world to siiiiiiing, in perfect har-moooooo-neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee”…there you have it…they even have a slogan for the t-shirt….

How can we retreat faster? Maybe we could grease the runners on this sled-trip to Hell?

…getting out of a war because its inconvenient…Churchill is spinning in his grave….

Puritan1648 on November 12, 2006 at 11:38 PM

From Drudge:

Hoyer: ‘I have the majority of the caucus supporting me’…

Someone’s not happy.

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 12:14 AM

It did?? Shit, I missed the verdicts entirely. When were the trials?

I take it your only willing to trust our brave soldiers when they’re telling you things you want to hear.

By the way, I think it’s funny you guys are honestly moaning about Murtha being majority leader. You do realize that, domestically speaking, that’s better for you, since Murtha is pro-life, pro-gun and generally socially conservative?

Hoyer isn’t. And they’d probably both put forward the same foreign policy agenda. If Murtha is majority leader, he might successfully kill legislation on social issues that you’ll probably end up agreeing with him on.

See, that’s the thing about Democrats, we’re not ideological purists. We actually have PEOPLE in our legislative caucuses. Not zealots.

Grebrook on November 13, 2006 at 12:20 AM

Murtha looks like he’s permenantly constipated.

EEprom on November 13, 2006 at 12:22 AM

…your only willing…

*you’re

Grebrook on November 13, 2006 at 12:22 AM

I hate Murtha. He is the most loathesome Dem in Washington today and that’s saying alot.
What he says about the troops is as bad or worse as what Kerry says about the troops.
Sure, Nancy, put him out front, but it’s your-uh-funeral.

Jen the Neocon on November 13, 2006 at 12:30 AM

…your only willing… — (some damned body)

*you’re — Grebrook

…my…Mr. Webster…too bad you’re not Miss Manners….

…and *yer* welcome….

Puritan1648 on November 13, 2006 at 12:34 AM

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 12:38 AM

I’m sorry Grebrook. Allahpundit asked you when the trials took place.

You provided a link that didn’t seem to mention trials.

Perhaps this might help clairify the issue.

EFG on November 13, 2006 at 12:38 AM

Drudge on Drudge Radio right now pointing out that Murtha was one of only two (Rangel the other) who voted for the draft. — RightWinged

…that Murtha…what a guy…has the political instincts of a Hapsburg….

…the Marine Birthday was Friday…parties all over…they’re a festive lot, those Marines…bet ol’ Lucky Jack was up to his congressional ID pin in in-vites!

Puritan1648 on November 13, 2006 at 12:42 AM

…my…Mr. Webster…too bad you’re not Miss Manners….

…and *yer* welcome….

I was correcting myself, not someone else.

Grebrook on November 13, 2006 at 12:46 AM

…or is that Habsburg?

…or is that Habsberg?

…or is that Jarlsberg, a really tasty cheese?

…or is that Borgia?

…or is that Benedict Arnold?

…or is that Malinche?

…or is that the guy at Pearl Harbor who said “Naaaaah…switch off the radar and come back for breakfast”?

Can’t tell a player without a program….

Puritan1648 on November 13, 2006 at 12:47 AM

“Grebrook”, you’re such a Typical Troll Tool. Murtha is a cheap crook who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, but not quite far enough for an indictment. Your comment about your party being composed of ‘people’ rather than “ideological purists” is really & truly funny. Your party is coven of hacks and whores who have shown they will say and do anything to get and keep power

Those of you talking about the Looming Deluge need to cheer up. Most of the incoming Demo leadership is on record as being either criminal ( Murtha, Alcee Hastings ) or hard-core fanatic ideologue ( Conyers, Wrangle, Pelosi, etc, etc ).

The last time they were in power, there was no Fox News, much less talk radio, and no ‘blogosphere’. The Demo-clowns WILL investigate everything in sight, but will in turn be investigated and exposed.

Janos Hunyadi on November 13, 2006 at 12:47 AM

I was correcting myself, not someone else. — Grebrook

…well, imagine that…you wrong, requiring correction.

Ain’t you “some damned body”? Everybody’s some damned body.

Yer a hoot.

Puritan1648 on November 13, 2006 at 12:49 AM

You should have included witches in there. It would have flowed better.

Ah, fanatics, eh?

So, who should we bring up on the GOP side of the aisle? Ah, I know:

GOP Senator James Inhofe of Oklahoma – Claimed that God purposely blew up the Twin Towers to teach America a lesson because we weren’t sending Israel enough missiles during the Infitada and we we’re “holding them back”

GOP Senator Rick Santorum – “Sodomy laws exist to protect American families”, compared homosexuals to child molestors and people who have sex with dogs, blamed pedophile scandal within the conservative Catholic Church on the liberal people of Boston (LOL)

GOP Senator John Cornyn, Texas – Attempted to rationalize a spurt of violence against judges that left several dead and another’s family murdered after the Terri Schiavo case

GOP House Majority Leader Tom Delay – Took his own father off life support, then pretended to be outraged when a court ordered the same to be done to Terri Schiavo, passing legislation for the first time in history to deliberately interfere in the ruling of an obscure local court in Florida and issuing soepoenas to a brain dead woman

GOP Senator Bill Frist – Interfered in the Terri Schiavo case, faced a severe backlash from the public, and within a matter of days changed his public position on embryonic stem cell research in order to try to look more “moderate”, stabbing his own supporters in the back

Yeah, we’re the fanatics.

Grebrook on November 13, 2006 at 12:56 AM

Just checking in, has Grebrook found a link to the Haditha trials yet?

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 1:02 AM

Just checking in, has Grebrook found a link to the Haditha trials yet?

RightWinged on November 13, 2006 at 1:02 AM

The answer would be, no. And just for the record Grebrook, you are a stated atheist. Most of the GOP members you reference – albeit with wild, over-arching exaggeration – have these beliefs which are founded in their Judeo-Christian teaching. I don’t expect you to understand or have any sensibility to their beliefs.

thedecider on November 13, 2006 at 1:08 AM

“yeah, we’re the fanatics”

Good, “Grebrook”, we agree on something. You went to all that trouble to misrepresent and otherwise dance around actual truths, but no one is going to bother to read it

We’ve read your shite before, and you ‘people’ never have anything new or worth reading. Let’s just wait until your ‘people’ start behaving like they always do.

Janos Hunyadi on November 13, 2006 at 1:12 AM

How do you know He didn’t? and for just that reason?

Well, in truth, once homosexuals can marry, then the polygamists, pedophiles and bestiality people won’t be far behind.

If by liberal he means “lawyers,” I’d go with that. Much of the pedophilia scandal in the Catholic Church was about their “deep pockets” (the parish of Boston and other cities have been bankrupted) and about a general attack on the catholic (small “c” meaning universal) Church everywhere.

I don’t know what you’re on about here. I heard of no violence against any of those awful Schiavo judges: Cornyn is my Senator and I love just about everything he does.

GOP House Majority Leader Tom Delay – Took his own father off life support,

How do you know this? Were you there?
And maybe the guy was ready to pass at an advanced old age and at diminished capacity, unlike Terry Schiavo

Terry Schiave was STARVED AND DEHYDRATED TO DEATH. They never determined that she was brain dead.
If you were put into a comatose condition, would you want to be deprived of food and water until you died of lack of same?
I wouldn’t! Thank God Delay tried to act!

Dr. or no, Frist was wrong to advocate embryonic stem cell research. Whatever he did, he’s gone now and I’m not going to miss him, most of all because he was a weak leader and boring to boot.
Try to get over your hatred of Republicans; it’s so unbecoming.
I thought you Dems were the caring, tolerant Party…nevermind.

Jen the Neocon on November 13, 2006 at 1:14 AM

Stop attacking a veteran, damn you all!

Seixon on November 12, 2006 at 8:10 PM

John Murtha is a commie pinko piece of crap. The fact that he once was a soldier means NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. He’s a coward from a cowardly party that wants to run away to OKINAWA while defecating in their yellow liberal pants.

IN THE CHEST OF A LIBERAL FLUTTERS THE FAINT HEART OF A COWARD….

Soothsayer on November 13, 2006 at 1:16 AM

This is what the next two years will be like. For democrats the enemy is God, christians, The US military and republicans.

And the only reason that people hate us is because of all ov the above.

So they are more than willing to sacrifice US to save themselves. They are more than willing to destroy the US if it means they can protect themselves.

This is the 5th Column the nazi freinds who in europe worked with the Gestapo to hunt downjews and others. It gave them a chance to kill their neighbors that they disliked.

Im not saying the vast majority of democrats are like that. But its becoming clearer day by day that there is a dangerous element festering in this country.

William Amos on November 13, 2006 at 1:25 AM

Soothsayer, Murtha was a Marine rather than a soldier, and is now / recently a semi-senile dishonest corrupt bloated ideologue hack party-whore rather than a ‘commie pinko’.

If you make it to major in the USMC you’ve got guts and smarts, but those qualities can be lost and erode over time. If Americans elected their leaders based on REAL combat experience, Predident Bob Dole would have had a good eight years……..

…..and I assumed that Seixon was employing irony ( or so I hope )

Janos Hunyadi on November 13, 2006 at 1:28 AM

Dean seems to think he can spend two years telling America how Bush got us into this and we will not notice the Democrats do not have the slightest clue as how to accomplish their stated goals. I hope Bush gives them anything they want. Democrats have no plan.

It will be unfortunate for them to find out that we can not leave without completely emboldening jihadis and Iran/Syria will make us look like asses. They are using Democrat talking points for goodness sake. I’m sure that will sit real well with the American people, heh. It won’t and they know it, watch them fall back on the blame Bush action plan.

Cue Newt

Theworldisnotenough on November 13, 2006 at 1:42 AM

They never determined that she was brain dead.

No, they determined she was in a permanent vegetative state during the autopsy, and thus was mentally dead.

Personally, no, only in the sense that I would rather be shot. But if dying of dehydration is the only way to finally knock me off, go for it, I do not intend to spend several decades staring up at the ceiling. That’s not natural. That’s insanity.

How do you know this? Were you there?

No, but his family was, and this is what they told the LA Times:

How do you know He didn’t? and for just that reason?

Are you kidding me? And you complain when I compare you people to Al Queda? I am not a theological scholar, but I think this is not too crazy of an assumption for me to make: JESUS DID NOT BLOW UP THE TWIN TOWERS SO ISRAREL COULD GET MORE TANKS.

Grebrook on November 13, 2006 at 2:03 AM

Sorry, autopsies don’t count. They made the decision that she was “brain dead” before they murdered her.

Does your family know this? Hopefully, if this happens, you will be brain dead and not fully conscious but mute screaming inside “Please feed me! Please give me a drink of water! I want to live, even if it’s only to stare outside the window!”
The will to live is not insanity.
I wouldn’t do to one of my cats what they did to Terry.

his family was, and this is what they told the LA Times

Ah, those GOP bastions of truth, the LATimes and the SanFranChron!
Mr. Delay’s entire family, including son Tom, agreed that taking him off the IV and ventilator to bring his life to a quick end was what he would have wanted, whereas only Terry’s husband believed that was what Terry wanted.
Terry’s family was willing to take care of her and the husband–who has since married the girlfriend he had waiting in the wings–wouldn’t let them.
That bastard had her murdered, proving that Dems condone both murder at the end of life as well as the beginning.

JESUS DID NOT BLOW UP THE TWIN TOWERS SO ISRAREL COULD GET MORE TANKS.

You know, I don’t think He did, not because He doesn’t exist, but because I think Satan, using Al Queda, blew up the Twin Towers. Don’t know about the Israeli tanks, but I do know that the Bible says that those who curse Israel, God will curse.
I believe in God, you don’t. Whichever of us is right will be made plain someday, but for my money, for Inhofe to say that God did it (and I’m not really sure that he did say that) is far less crazy than the “truthers” who claim that Bush did it or the Mossad.

Jen the Neocon on November 13, 2006 at 2:32 AM

I finally realized we have come full Cycle. This is going back to what happened in the 1960s/ early 1970s.

We backed an ally in a region of the world (Veitnam in Asia/Israel in Middle East)

A regional power began to threaten our ally. (China and Russia with Veitnam/Iraq and others with Israel)

We stood with our ally. but the threat became so great that we needed to get involved ourselves.

A popular Democrat President still gave the aid (Kennedy/Clinton) but he supposedly fought it more “intelligently” and would have avoided a quagmire.

In time the threat grew yet the sitting democrat refused to take action other than just basic weak hits at the enemy.

And we payed a price for that. Even though we won military victories.

A great debate won up. The republicans won the debate and elected a repubican president who vigerously persued the war.

The anti war ignored the poor results from the previous president. It was the Republican president who was the real threat and cause of the war.

So when the war went sour they started to help elect more democrats and in doing so pushed for investigations into the current sitting Republican President.

Face with a foreign enemy who vigerously attacked the US daily and a domestic enemy bent on bring the Administration down the Republcan President started to make many misteps. All of which was used against them in an imperious and threatening democratic congress.

The democrats NEED their new Watergate to gain legitimacy. They rule only based on focusing negative energy aimed at republicans. That is their only true agenda.

We as republicans must deny them their watergate. We must show THEIR misteps and misdeeds. They are out there for all to see.

William Amos on November 13, 2006 at 2:34 AM

I think you’re making some big stretches, Amos, but if you’re saying the leftist Democrats are a bunch of anti-military douchebags, I agree.

But I mean no offence to douchebags.

Christoph on November 13, 2006 at 3:14 AM

All the ever-so-hopeful conservatives who’ve been grasping at straws to convince themselves that Dems will now have to act reasonably and take centrist stands need to take an icy cold shower and wake up. The Dems only weeks ago were cheerleading national security leaks to the enemy, propagating vicious lies about the commander in chief, touting traitors as heroes (Sheehan, Moore, Murtha et al) and, of course, ran campaigns on the promise of Vietnam2. How can anyone come to the informed conclusion that these people are anything but hopeless and very, very dangerous? Good God, they won’t even distance themselves from praise and encouragement coming from the enemy! They and their MSM have done nothing but act as de facto collaborators in repeated attempts to break the American will – how the h#** any thinking person can wish for “cooperation” from a political party as gone as this is totally beyond me. As even the great el Rushbo has been conceding lately: THEY WANT US TO LOSE! Whether that’s in their genes, or is the inevitable bottom line of their PC self-doubt and loathing, or the modern consequence of their long-term goal to socialize the US in line with their Marxist ideals, who knows. But, THEY WANT US TO LOSE!

Halley on November 13, 2006 at 3:16 AM

Has Grebrook the Pet Troll come up with a link to the results of the “Haditha” trials yet? Or is he trying to avoid that little inconvenience?

If the Democrats are this bitter and divisive when they win, imagine the hysterics had they lost again…

Spiny Norman on November 13, 2006 at 3:29 AM

Sheehan, Moore, Murtha et al

Grebrook on November 13, 2006 at 4:10 AM

Yeah, he said he had inside info. But he was LYING, like a good Democrat. And you got it wrong again, Grebrook. Damn you’re good at being clueless.

Pablo on November 13, 2006 at 4:54 AM

So, she must have voted for Kerry…

We really need a better class of troll around here than Grebrook. All this one does is stink the place up.

Pablo on November 13, 2006 at 4:58 AM

Gee, Bill Frist, circa July ’01:

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Republican Sen. Bill Frist, a top Bush administration ally and the only physician in the Senate, announced Wednesday his support for federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.

Frist’s position is based on a set of conditions he detailed at a Senate hearing and in a Wednesday speech on the Senate floor.

What did Frist change again Grebrook? The Haditha verdict, is it? He’s probably got inside information that he made up, huh?

Pablo on November 13, 2006 at 5:05 AM

“Is she brain dead?”
“Let’s kill her and find out!”

Super.

Reaps on November 13, 2006 at 8:38 AM

An abandonded Iraq of 2006 becomes an Afghanistan of 1996-2001.

How well did that turn out?

armylawyer on November 13, 2006 at 9:21 AM

Reaps: You took the words right out of my mouth. I love the justification for her death being found…at her autopsy. And Jen is right: I wouldn’t do to an animal what they did to that poor woman. Every time I hear about waterboarding of head cutters, I think about what her ex husband did to her..with people waiting…wanting to take care of her.
Crazy Grandpa Murtha is going to be Majority leader? YAY. We’re going to base a fast reaction force in Tierra del Fuego. Hopefully any violence perpatrated on an ally will be over by the time we get there..hence, we can look like we’re doing something without actually doing it. I can’t wait to see how they’re going to prostrate themselves to Iran and Syria. Please Mr. Terrorist..we just want to get along. We’ve got a bunch of GOP war criminals to burn and we don’t want to have trouble with you. I’ve been reading Steyn…I’m even more depressed than when I gave up all hope 2 days ago.

austinnelly on November 13, 2006 at 9:22 AM

WOOH! More traitor talk! It’s heartening to see fascists show their true colors. — Grebrook

…y’know…you just suck all the fun out of ev’rything….

…fascists…the only ones I know who talk like that anymore…well…are communists…and we *ALL* of us know that you’re not so stupid as that….

Puritan1648 on November 13, 2006 at 9:52 AM

This is just the beginning.

Cary on November 13, 2006 at 10:41 AM

Murtha has a distinguished record of advocating surrender. He made his first tentative moves as a leader in the Tactics of Defeat when (by his own admission) he recommended to President Ronald Reagan that he withdraw from Lebanon following the terrorist bombing of the Marine base on October 23, 1983. In spite of the fact that the mission in Lebanon was largely succeeding, pressure from Congress and “courageous” veterans like Jack Murtha, finally convinced President Reagan to “change course” by pulling the marines out of Lebanon.

Murtha solidified his credentials as the King of Surrender when (again by his own admission) he became instrumental in President Clinton’s decision to “change course” in Somalia. You remember Somalia, don’t you? Operation Restore Hope, initiated by President Bush (41), sent 25.000 troops to Somalia to help provide humanitarian relief to the people. The mission was largely successful and is credited with having saved the lives of half a million Somalis and reducing the ongoing civil war to a small series of skirmishes. Under President Clinton, with the advice of Defense Secretary Les Aspin and U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Madeleine Albright, the largely U.S. mission in Somalia was turned over to the U.N. Thereafter, incompetence became the word of the day, eventually culminating in the “Black Hawk Down” incident in October of 1993. President Clinton, heeding the gravely mistaken advice of the Mighty Jack Murtha to, in the words of Monty Python, “Run away! Run away,” began to withdraw the troops from Somalia. His “uncanny comprehension” of military strategy led him to make this recommendation, thereby leaving the way clear for Al Qaeda to begin consolidation operations. Murtha’s recommendation could, therefore, be called one of the most critical factors in the 9/11 attacks. Thanks, Jack, you’re a real hero.

Is this really the guy you want telling us how to win the war in Iraq? Murtha has no plan. He has no idea how to conduct a war. He has nothing to offer but fear and failure – and that’s why Pelosi wants him as House Majority Leader.

Lebanon. Somalia. And now Iraq. Truly Murtha is the King of Surrender.

shamalama on November 13, 2006 at 10:55 AM

Yeah this war on Islamic terrorism is going real good.
Number of US Service Members put on trial/pending trial – Around 50 (Not counting Gitmo guards who have received lesser punishments)
Number of terrorists put on trial who are still in jail – Uh 1 I think
They released the Bali bombers
Germany released the ones they had in a hostage swap
Lawyers have stuff so tied up over here I doubt any of them will ever go to trial

It ceased being a military operation the minute the lawyers got involved, which was about 30 minutes after the statue of Saddam was toppled.

LakeRuins on November 13, 2006 at 11:00 AM

Number of terrorists put on trial who are still in jail – Uh 1 I think

Huh? There’s lots more than one as we rack them up and the Brits do too, and then there are the ones who haven’t had a trial, and I don’t much care that they haven’t, KSM being one.

And as for our guys, let’s leave that to their commands, shall we? 50 out of the probably close to a million troops that have been to the sandbox is not a lot, and I want douchebags like Richard Graner and Lyndie England locked up for making us look like inbred morons. That goes double for the idiots responsible for Hamdaniyah.

Pablo on November 13, 2006 at 11:17 AM

This is gonna be a great 2-years!!!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on November 13, 2006 at 11:36 AM

That’s not true. The autopsy only found that her brain was small, which indicated that she might have been brain dead but did not confirm that she was brain dead.

And for that, we starved her to death. We didn’t even have the decency to treat her the way we would a convicted serial killer on death row.

And as to Haditha… Our troops deserve the benefit of doubt.

Marines considered bombing Haditha home: officer

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – U.S. Marines were so locked in battle with Iraqi insurgents on the day 24 civilians were killed in Haditha that a U.S. Marine officer considered bombing a house where the insurgents took refuge, he told investigators.

“We saw insurgents go into a house, and we did not drop bombs on that house because we did not have (positive identification),” Carrasco told investigators. “They had engaged a previous unit and had run into a house with weapons.”

Officer In Charge: Haditha Didn’t Warrant Inquiry

“I did not see any cause for alarm,” especially because several firefights had occurred in the area the same day — Nov. 19, 2005 — Chessani said. Because of that conclusion, the commander added, he did not see any reason to investigate the matter, or even to ask how many women and children had been killed. “I just saw this as a large combat action that had been staged by the enemy,” he told investigators…

Murtha Was Briefed After His “Cold Blooded” Comment

Asked about this in the interview, Murtha said the information came from Gen. Michael Hagee, the commandant of the Marine Corps, in a one-on-one conversation the day before Hagee made a trip to Iraq. Hagee did not use the term “in cold blood,” he added.

Col. Dave Lapan, a Marine spokesman, disputed Murtha’s account.

He said the commandant did brief Murtha about the Haditha incident. But he said that was on May 24, a week after Murtha made his public comment. The next day, May 25, Hagee left for Iraq, he said.

Time Magazine Massacres the Truth

Time broke the story in March, some four months after the incident. One of their sources was described as a “journalism student” and “a young local man” who said he shot video of the aftermath of the incident and at the morgue. Time originally reported that “The video was obtained by the Hammurabi Human Rights Group, which cooperates with the internationally respected Human Rights Watch, and has been shared with TIME.” They later amended the story, and said in note at the end of the article that “In fact, Human Rights Watch has no ties or association with the Hammurabi Human Rights Group.”

It turns out that the “young” journalist is 43-year-old Taher Thabet al Hadithi, and a co-founder of the Hammurabi Human Rights Group. At the time, he was also one of its only two members. Many have questioned the timing—why the charges were made much later. In an editorial, the Washington Times noted that although Hadithi claims to have witnessed the Marines killing civilians, and that he videotaped the aftermath on the following day, he waited at least two months before bringing his tape to the attention of the media. The Times noted that Hammurabi’s other founder, Abdul-Rahman al Mashhadani, failed to mention the alleged massacre during an interview with the Institute for War and Peace in December.

A Reuters article quoted a lawyer for one of the Marines being investigated as saying that the two “employees” of Hammurabi have family members “in local prisons for insurgent activities.” They deny this but questions remain about the nature of this “human rights” organization. At this point, it would not be beyond the pale to suggest that it could be a terrorist front organization. But all the facts are not in.

Newsmax Claims US Video Clears Marines In Haditha

# Ample evidence proves that a firefight took place. For example, every second of the ensuing firefight was monitored by numerous people at company, battalion, and regimental HQs via radio communications.

Weekly Standard Analyzes The Media Smear Of Haditha

* In breaking the Haditha story last March, Time relied heavily on statements from a 9-year-old girl, a self-styled human rights activist with credibility problems, and a doctor who has publicly expressed his hatred of America. Since then, Time has issued three corrections. A video of the 24 dead bodies and the places where the killings occurred was not taken by “a Haditha journalism student,” as first reported, but by a 43-year-old Sunni Muslim who heads the two-person “Hammurabi Human Rights Group.” Nor is that group associated with Human Rights Watch, the respectable if anti-American outfit, as the magazine had said. The magazine also allowed that it could not confirm that an alleged photo taken by a Marine, suggesting the killings were executions, even exists.

Hammurabi Rights Watch Denials Raise More Questions

Lawyers for Marines will question the authenticity of a videotape at the heart of the case and the credibility of Hammurabi, which provided it, sources close to the Marines say.

Mashhadani said it was some weeks before he handed the tape to Time after failing to interest Iraqi newspapers and Arab television stations in the story. Journalists at satellite channels Al Arabiya and Al Jazeera said they never saw the tape.

Why Have Haditha Families Fought Exhuming Victims?

In an interview with the Associated Press earlier this month, Rasayef said he and his family and other victims’ families have refused requests to exhume the bodies for autopsies.

“No way we can ever agree to that,” Rasayef said.

Under Islamic teaching, exhuming bodies is generally prohibited. It is allowed on a case-by-case basis, sometimes after a fatwa, or edict, from a senior cleric allowing it to proceed.

However, investigators were able to obtain family permission for exhumation of the victim’s body in an April 26 case involving another group of Camp Pendleton Marines.

Early this month, the body of the Iraqi man allegedly kidnapped from his home and killed was exhumed and taken to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware for a forensic examination and autopsy.

In the Haditha case, photos could be used in a trial, but only autopsy results would provide solid proof of the cause of death, Solis said.

Time’s massacre

Then there’s the timing issue. Mr. Hadithi says he witnessed Marines going house to house killing Iraqis, and videotaped the aftermath the next day. This raises the question of why Mr. Hadithi, or the Hammurabi Organization, waited at least two months before bringing his tape to the attention of the mainstream media, especially since Hammurabi proclaims itself a human-rights group. Nor did Hammurabi’s other founder, Abdul-Rahman al Mashhadani, mention the alleged massacre during an interview with the Institute for War and Peace in December.

Time has had to correct its earlier contention that it received the video from Human Rights Watch, which Time identified as working with the Hammurabi Organization. Human Rights Watch, as Time now acknowledges, has no association with Hammurabi, raising yet another question: Just what is the Hammurabi Organization? More to the point, did Time adequately vet its founders for conflicts of interest before printing their story and putting our troops at greater risk?

Time has also had to correct its reporting that “one of the most damning pieces of evidence investigators have in their possession, John Sifton of Human Rights Watch told Time’s Tim McGirk, is a photo, taken by a Marine with his cell phone that shows Iraqis kneeling — and thus posing no threat — before they were shot.” Mr. Sifton has now admitted to Time that he has no firsthand knowledge of this mysterious photo.

How Haditha Came to Light

In the ensuing weeks, McGirk and TIME’s Baghdad staff members interviewed more than a dozen Haditha locals by e-mail (travel between Baghdad and Haditha is exceedingly dangerous for Iraqis, let alone foreign journalists), including the mayor, the morgue doctor and a local lawyer who negotiated a settlement between the Marines and the families

The mayor rules over a Sunni insurgent stronghold, where only 150 people out of 90,000 felt secure enough to cast a vote. It’s clear the man is not in charge of his own town.
Under US noses, brutal insurgents rule Sunni citadel

A three-day visit by a reporter working for the Guardian last week established what neither the Iraqi government nor the US military has admitted: Haditha, a farming town of 90,000 people by the Euphrates river, is an insurgent citadel.

The morgue doctor has an axe to grind against the US. And obviously also works under the Sunni insurgents.
Haditha Doctor Was Arrested, Hates The US

Dr. Walid Al-Obeidi, the director of Haditha General Hospital and Dr. Jamil Abdul Jabbar, the only surgeon in the Haditha area, were arrested for a week, very badly beaten and threatened to face the same treatment in the future by the American troops.

And then the lawyer, is trying to get even more money from the US for the “slaughter” where he claims to have had family members killed.
Haditha Lawyer Wants More “Compensation”

There’s plenty of room for doubt.

Esthier on November 13, 2006 at 11:37 AM

Just the frustration coming out again. A young Marine is awarded the Medal of Honor this weekend posthousmonly, and I didn’t hear about it anywhere, even though I wasn’t watching the news real closely. I did however hear ad nauseum about the farce to use German courts to try an bring legal action against Rumsfeld, I heard every Dem who could get to a microphone take their victory lap and gloat, which was to be expected and then it is all capped off by Joe Biden threatening the President over his nomination of John Bolton. Hey Joe he is still President, he still gets to make his nominations and you still get to vote. Until then SDSTFU.

LakeRuins on November 13, 2006 at 11:39 AM