Video: LaShawn Barber talks Campaign ’08 on MSNBC

posted at 6:38 pm on November 11, 2006 by Allahpundit

Another day, another Vent alumna on cable news. Granted, she was appearing on cable news long before she ever did Vent. Let’s not get bogged down in details.

Here she is, mano a mano with sane lefty Jeralyn Merritt of TalkLeft and insisting that, contrary to all indications, Maverick will not make a run. Fingers crossed.

Comments

I really don’t know who I would support in 08. I guess I’ll just wait for the rising stars and pick and choose on the way up. I’d like to say Guliani, but I think he’d spend too much on social programs.

I guess I’ll just have to pick Karl Rove.

Ringmaster on November 11, 2006 at 6:46 PM

Whomever emerges, I don’t want a moderate Republican. The moderate Republicans cost us much in the mid-terms and demonstrate that, like moderates of either party, they have no new or fresh ideas. Bring on Newt!

thedecider on November 11, 2006 at 7:02 PM

Guiliani/Romney. That’s my hope.

It really doesn’t matter, though. The cannibal robots will take over before then. They think we taste like bacon.

Slublog on November 11, 2006 at 7:16 PM

Gingrich has the absolute best presentation of ideas out there, but he would have to pair up with a real saint to compensate for his personal background.

The media would truly villify him and social conservatives would be holding their noses.

MRegine on November 11, 2006 at 7:17 PM

The press made a big deal of Obama, giving him full blanket coverage, knowing that a better man would have stolen his black thunder if given any press coverage.

You all know who I mean.

BlueStateBlues on November 11, 2006 at 7:19 PM

I went to the article AP linked about McCain. After seeing it, I can now say that I completely and totally support McCain for President.

Why? Because in the photo, you can clearly see that McCain has a big scar on his face, like he got into a bloody knife fight or ancient duel.

This scar will inspire fear in all of our enemies, and that’s exactly what I want in my president.

Granted, he actually got this scar from skin cancer surgery, but as AP said, let’s not get bogged down in details.

EFG on November 11, 2006 at 7:24 PM

I don’t know who I want to vote for. I know who I don’t want to vote for but I guess that doesn’t count. BTW, nice job Lashawn!

vcferlita on November 11, 2006 at 7:33 PM

It’s nice seeing LaShawn on TV — great job.

But, if there was ever a week that we needed a BSG thread, this is it.

What the frak happened?

And Allah, did someone kidnap Ace?

mesablue on November 11, 2006 at 7:39 PM

Jeralyn was making sense up until the end…John Edwards? Russ Feingold? Bwahahahaha…

And has everyone forgotten that a Republican has announced already? That dude in California…I can’t remember his name, but at least I remember that he’s announced.

SouthernGent on November 11, 2006 at 7:40 PM

Duncan Hunter. He has a great conservative voting record. I really like him and I don’t even know what he looks like LOL

lorien1973 on November 11, 2006 at 7:43 PM

But, if there was ever a week that we needed a BSG thread, this is it.

True. for once the president made the right choice. The guy who made it fail should have been killed for being a traitor. Adama is running a ship that is too lax on discipline.

lorien1973 on November 11, 2006 at 7:44 PM

Adama is running a ship that is too lax on discipline.

Picard would never approve.

SouthernGent on November 11, 2006 at 7:48 PM

Newt is going all the way. The Christian coalition will support him because he has changed his ways. The center will support him because he makes good sense and knows what the average guy wants. Many blacks will support him because his running mate will be Michael Steele or Colin Powell. Watch and see.

bloggless on November 11, 2006 at 7:57 PM

Gingrich/Steele or Steele/Gingrich(Newt as Steele’s version of Cheney). Although, I’m not sure how Steele could transition from RNC Chair to run.

Also, Delay should have a cabnet position. Oh, Tommy Franks for Sec Def and North for CIA Director. Hmmm what else. . Dennis Miller for Press Secretary.

- The Cat

MirCat on November 11, 2006 at 8:02 PM

because he has changed his ways.

I’m of the opinion that a leopard never changes his spots, but I’d vote for him before I’d vote for McCain.

SouthernGent on November 11, 2006 at 8:24 PM

Yeah, I was beginning to think that Jeralyn was taking lessons from KP (no screeching, talking over LaShawn, actually saying some sensible and intelligent things). Then she laughed out loud at LaShawn’s choice of Tancredo after she had the nerve to suggest Feingold and the Breck girl Edwards. If LaShawn had been equally “polite”, she would have been rolling on the floor!

IrishEyes on November 11, 2006 at 8:27 PM

Picard would never approve.

No Picard would approve. Kirk would not :P

lorien1973 on November 11, 2006 at 8:30 PM

Gingrich/Cheney (Lynn) might do it for 2008

MRegine on November 11, 2006 at 8:38 PM

I still want Walter E Williams or Thomas Sowell to run.

My preference is Alan Keyes, but he got really weird in that Illinois election a few years back, but I still like him.

I still wish a high powered CEO would run though. Someone who knows how to run a business; turn a loss (deficit) into a profit and pay off some of our debt; but I don’t think that’d happen. All that stress isn’t worth $250k/year.

lorien1973 on November 11, 2006 at 8:43 PM

she herself should run for political office.

wordwarp on November 11, 2006 at 9:02 PM

I’m with you, Lorien! I voted for Keyes in the ’96 and ’00 Primaries, but what the heck happened to him in that Senate run??? He turned all goofy on us!

Tony737 on November 11, 2006 at 9:34 PM

There are very few people I would say this about, but if Tom Tancredo is the candidate in 2008, I’ll sit it out.

Slublog on November 11, 2006 at 9:45 PM

I saw Newt in a Chic Filet Restaurant about a year ago, and I tell you what, the guy has certain approachable air about him. He was eating with his wife and chatting with some of the folks nearby. I’m telling you, he has something about him. Plus, I think he is smart.

bloggless on November 11, 2006 at 9:47 PM

Cat, I LOVE your Cabinet choices!

We NEED Tommy Franks as S.o.D. This man understands that this war against islamonazis is a Special Forces war. He gets it while some others refuse to let go of their Cold War way of thinking. Al Qaida does NOT have thousands of tanks and planes and ships for us to blow up, shoot down and sink. This is a SpecOps war. Franks is the man for S.o.D. if not N.S.A. if nit the BIG job itself. I don’t know where he is on social issues, but at this point, I don’t care. All the little issues we used to worry about don’t mean nuttin’ as long as we have jihadis tryin’ to destroy our nation.

My FIRST choice for Prez right now is the reabil … reestab … reincar … the *brought back to life* Gen. George S. Patton!

Since Patton is, ummmm, *unavailable* right now, let’s get the next best thing … Tommy Franks!

Franks and Rice!

mmmmm franks and ricccccccce … I’m sooooo hungry!

Tony737 on November 11, 2006 at 9:49 PM

Franks and Rice!

mmmmm franks and ricccccccce … I’m sooooo hungry!

That’d be an awesome campaign slogan too :P. Good thing Condi’s last name isn’t beans though LOL

lorien1973 on November 11, 2006 at 10:00 PM

Excuse me, but she doesn’t think hard-liners on illegal immigration like Tancredo will get a vote? She hasn’t called me or my friends then!

MsUnderestimated on November 11, 2006 at 10:13 PM

EFG on November 11, 2006 at 7:24 PM

Damn, EFG, you ruined the mystique for me. I was certain that the Miami INS correctly identified the origins of St. John’s scar.

Kid from Brooklyn on November 11, 2006 at 10:39 PM

Let’s see…LaShawn Barber predicts John McCain won’t run because she doesn’t want him to run? And some people on this board applaud her for a great spot?

If she’s on a show like MSNBC to give her insightful commentary, she failed miserably. There’s a difference between what you think will happen versus what you want to happen.

Just like the vast majority of people on this site who predicted the Republicans would hold both chambers, with some even “predicting” gains.

asc85 on November 11, 2006 at 10:48 PM

asc85 on November 11, 2006 at 10:48 PM

Just for the record: I predicted Republicans would lose the House but hold the Senate. So they lost the Senate, but not by much. Anyway, I heard many professionals in the media predicting (and wishing for) huge wins for Democrats and that didn’t happen either. These are, after all, predictions based on what people think or want to happen.

thedecider on November 11, 2006 at 11:08 PM

These are, after all, predictions based on what people think or want to happen.

Call me crazy, but I think predictions should be based on what you think will happen. Predictions based on what you want to happen are silly. I’m sure you’re not the only one, but I’ve never heard of anyone define predictions based on want. It’s laughable to me when I hear it on the left, and equally laughable when I hear it on the right.

asc85 on November 11, 2006 at 11:13 PM

That’s right! I forgot that Rick Santorum and George Allen were part of the “moderate” wing of the Republican party in the Senate.

asc85 on November 11, 2006 at 11:15 PM

Asc85, I believe that while LaShawn has a decent enough showing in the spot, I agree with you that she didn’t exactly catch fire with the lack of substance displayed while talking about a potential McCain run. You or I could have said that with some level of telegenic interest.

She was there to put out her view from the right side of the blogosphere and she did.

That said, I’m sorry but I really think that it was high time for the social conservatives to keep their powder dry and their firepower restricted to their own backyards. Issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage, IMHO, has no place at the national level. Let the local state legislatures decide for themselves, which will keep the national focus where it should be: national security and positive economic.

Let’s be honest: the MSM is not going to change its stripes in our lifetime with its current double standard of covering the moral failings of elected officials. Republicans (especially conservative ones) are *always* going to be raked over the coals while Democrats almost always gets a pass. Every time a GOPster opens his mouth and espouses anything other than a secular position or viewpoint, he or she is painting a big bullseye on their back and is screaming for extra scrutiny.

You’d better believe that the MSM lives for the “take down” of a Mark Foley or any other figure with an “R” next to their name. The sooner we accept that and accordingly refocus that spotlight, the better.

Let’s get someone in the White House who actually will actually deliver on the primary goals of winning the GWOT, expanding the decent economy, reducing the size and scope of government, and appointing judges who will actually interpret the Constitution rather than make stuff up to fit an ideology which can’t get its way legislatively.

If we only accomplish that, I would be deliriously happy.

itzWicks on November 11, 2006 at 11:25 PM

asc85 on November 11, 2006 at 11:15 PM

I wouldn’t consider Rick Santorum a moderate so, one of us isn’t getting the point. Somehow, I think it’s you.

thedecider on November 11, 2006 at 11:28 PM

Romney/Gingrich, although Newt/Romney has a nice ring to it.

Newt can run circles around anyone on the issues, and even the liberal media has a hard time refuting him. We need Newt now more than ever.

DannoJyd on November 11, 2006 at 11:35 PM

Absolutely! We need an “ideas” man who can stand his ground.

thedecider on November 11, 2006 at 11:44 PM

I made a t-shirt to make a statement at a pro-legalization amnesty event I attended here in Chicago a few months back. I removed my jacket to reveal it just as my congressman race pandering whore, Luis Gutierrez, took the stage. He read my shirt, made a face, and announced that he could see that “the enemy” was in the audience.

Tancredo/Sensenbrenner ’08

Prediction? Nah. But it does have a certain ring to it…

thebaldchick on November 11, 2006 at 11:57 PM

asc85 on November 11, 2006 at 11:15 PM

thedecider on November 11, 2006 at 11:28 PM

Ummmm…that was my point, based on the part of your post I was responding to. It’s called being “facetious.”

asc85 on November 11, 2006 at 11:57 PM

asc85 on November 11, 2006 at 11:57 PM

D’oh! Please accept my humble apology.

thedecider on November 11, 2006 at 11:59 PM

D’oh! Please accept my humble apology.

thedecider on November 11, 2006 at 11:59 PM

And I apologize for venting my spleen on you this evening. I really liked this site, because I felt that the majority of us were thoughtful, rational conservatives. I was taken aback with the message boards before the elections to hear so many people predicting the Republicans holding both Houses, and some predicting gains. I really thought this was absurd, and thought maybe I was missing something. I guess to me that “predicting” something you “want” is not a prediction…it’s a “wish.” So of course, if anything, the polls underestimated what happened on Tuesday. And I get back on these boards, and hear the same kinds of “wishes” being spouted.

Like I said, when I hear absurd comments/predictions, etc. on the left, it just makes me think how totally out-of-touch they are. So when I see the same thing the last few days on the right, I am equally upset by the lack of intelligent discourse. I’m not saying I’m so much more clear-headed then everyone else, but it is disappointing, especially when the feedback on predictions for mid-terms/results of mid-terms was rather immediate.

asc85 on November 12, 2006 at 12:07 AM

Glad to see Alan Keyes’s name come up. I contributed to his cause a few years ago. He and Newt are among the smartest conservatives I’ve seen (IMHO). Both also are excellent at debate and persuasion.

mikeyboss on November 12, 2006 at 12:18 AM

asc85 on November 12, 2006 at 12:07 AM

I “ditto” your comments. Intelligent discourse is exactly what is needed to bring us back to our core, and give the party faithful (and even the moderates of either party) a clear choice in the next election cycle.

thedecider on November 12, 2006 at 12:28 AM

The media is already overwhealmed and hopelessly filled by asshat talking heads as it is. This was one of the poorest shots at a ‘fair and balanced’ spot (for PSMBC) as I have ever gaged over. Neither of them are qualified to be in the ‘league’ of punditry. Jerilyn: your an ignorant slut.

LaShawn, you do OK on Vent.

auspatriotman on November 12, 2006 at 12:33 PM

Cornyn/Kyl

normsrevenge on November 12, 2006 at 2:18 PM

“Noot” will get the nod in ’08.

Mojave Mark on November 12, 2006 at 8:18 PM