Video: Bush’s stealth product placement!

posted at 11:29 am on November 10, 2006 by Allahpundit

I guess if you can hear racism in a radio ad that uses drums, you can detect a paid advertisement in a presidential press conference.

Remember, no matter what faux playmates might tell you: there are no coincidences.

Comments

Usually, I don’t go with these “conspiracy theories”, but if Dell is a big supporter of Bush, I think Bush’s inclusion of “Dell” was intentional. Probably just trying to help out a friend. Nothing sinister, but definitely intentional.

asc85 on November 10, 2006 at 11:38 AM

LOL. I have a Sony though. I’m not voting for anyone who doesn’t have a Sony HDTV :(

lorien1973 on November 10, 2006 at 11:41 AM

Rummy “scratching his nose” is a ton better though! Yeah, that was the appropriate answer to that question :P

lorien1973 on November 10, 2006 at 11:46 AM

Ha,Ha. That’s pretty funny. I hope he does get a plasma tv out of it. The Rumsfeld thing was great, I think he really was flippin’ em off. Oh, Johanna, call me ; )

vcferlita on November 10, 2006 at 11:48 AM

I was just a slip of the tongue. “…watching on their del-televisions…” Good grief.

jdpaz on November 10, 2006 at 11:51 AM

Wait, I thought Bush was so verbally maladroit he couldn’t even string a coherent sentense together.

Now he’s slickly making product placement ads?

Smooooth.

EFG on November 10, 2006 at 11:51 AM

It was a “botched joke” Really. No, really.

vcferlita on November 10, 2006 at 11:52 AM

Did anyone catch this live? Because it sounded edited in.

tnculp on November 10, 2006 at 11:52 AM

I agree with jdpaz

tnculp on November 10, 2006 at 11:55 AM

The finger to the lip or the face is a particular mannerism of Rumsfeld. I have seen it many times and I think it is related to arthrittis in his index finger or it may just be the result of a habit developed over time. I have seen it many times.

LakeRuins on November 10, 2006 at 11:57 AM

I didn’t even know Dell made TVs.

I’m buying one today!

Hoodlumman on November 10, 2006 at 11:59 AM

That was just weird.

Hey GWB, how about a plug for HP? They make plasma and LCD TVs too.

CliffHanger on November 10, 2006 at 12:09 PM

Dear President,
Please plug plastic pink flamingos – I fear their extinction.

infidel on November 10, 2006 at 12:15 PM

Smooooth

Valiant on November 10, 2006 at 12:20 PM

Too funny. My husband gives me such a hard time because I have bought a couple of Dells and he had always heard that Dell was a big Clinton supporter so he refuses to buy a Dell.

bopbottle on November 10, 2006 at 12:21 PM

WHO CARES?!?

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO GROW UP, GROW A PAIR, AND TACKLE THE IMPORTANT ISSUES OF THE DAY?!?

Radio talk-show host Dom Giordano says, “Conspiracy theories are better then sex!”

budorob on November 10, 2006 at 12:32 PM

I had to watch it three times before I got it.. I guess that means it was intended to be subliminal?

Brad on November 10, 2006 at 12:45 PM

Honestly, nothing would surprise me from this president, Jorge Arbusto, el Presidente Mexiamerica, anymore. It isn’t a huge deal but it does cut to the complete prostitution of the man’s soul. If he isn’t shilling for letting more Saudi students attend aviation schools in the United States and he isn’t selling out the United States to a suicidal open-borders policy, he is advertising Dell plasmas. No sell-out is too low for this man.

tommy1 on November 10, 2006 at 12:59 PM

First of all, linguistically speaking, a “t” sound and a “d” sound are articulated in exactly the same place in the mouth. The only difference is that a “d” is voiced and a “t” is a voiceless sound. A mistake of using a ‘d’ instead of ‘t’ is not at all uncommon – especially for someone that is known for having trouble articulating.

Secondly, I highly doubt that Michael Dell said, “Hey Dubya, do me a favor. The next time a reporter asks you about deaths in a not so popular war, why don’t you throw out the Dell television name. We could use some product placement. When people think death, I want them to think Dell.”

Finally, it’s a flub that would have gotten no notice at all if someone else hadn’t pulled it out and made a video to promote the ‘conspiracy’. So, the product placement (if it existed in the first place) was extremely ineffectual until someone pulled it out and illustrated it to make it very clear. Seems like the maker of this vid is doing a much better job of promoting Dell televisions. Perhaps we should check his/her background. /sarcasm

JadeNYU on November 10, 2006 at 1:26 PM

Ob(I work for Dell)

I doubt it was intentional product placement. The sets he has in/around his offices probably just happen to be Dell sets. Dell is a big supplier of technology to the military and gov’t as a whole, so no surprise he would have seen a few.

James on November 10, 2006 at 2:00 PM

That was just weird.

Hey GWB, how about a plug for HP? They make plasma and LCD TVs too.

CliffHanger on November 10, 2006 at 12:09 PM

Obviously because Dell has an exclusive contract with him.

urbancenturion on November 10, 2006 at 2:10 PM

Now think of the possibilities for future placement for –

“Hooked on Politics”

“All in the Family”

“Conspiracy Theory”

any Microsoft product – after all, they own half the planet – right?

“Second Chance” vests

Not just Dells, but any contributor who gives more than, say, $25M. >$25M gets you product placement on at least two interviews AND one State of the Union Address!

Just think – the business of politics. After some time has passed, perhaps in the future we could call the President the “CEO of America, Inc.”

and replace Congress with a Board of Directors,

and call wars “hostile takeovers” –

The possibilities are endless……….

Emmett J. on November 10, 2006 at 2:11 PM

I forgot to wear my tin foil hat while watching that interview.Woke up with a 60 in plasma in my den.Pure capitalistic evil afoot.Nice picture though

dardar on November 10, 2006 at 3:39 PM

“subliminal”

Don’t you first have to have a brain to make something subliminal?

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on November 10, 2006 at 3:53 PM

I didn’t even know Dell made TVs.

I’m buying one today!

Hoodlumman on November 10, 2006 at 11:59 AM

Yes they do. . and I actually sell em. Woohooies!

- The Cat

MirCat on November 10, 2006 at 5:01 PM

Now I know how my Republican party is really leaving me behind…..all I got is a 19 y.o. Trinitron……

I need some trickle-down…..(don’t even say it)

Limerick on November 10, 2006 at 6:25 PM

Has anyone else checked out the comments at YouTube? Are these people idiots who believe this conspiracy theory? Absolutely. Does being idiots stop the from voting? Sadly no.

RightWinged on November 10, 2006 at 8:58 PM