No better friend, no worse enemy

posted at 2:12 pm on November 10, 2006 by Bryan

The first part of that is undoubtedly true of the US military.

We need to return to the kind of hard-nosed thinking that made the second part true, too. The last Marine who used the phrase in Iraq was drummed out of the military, probably costing the Corps a fine Commandant.

Comments

*sigh*

SouthernGent on November 10, 2006 at 2:16 PM

Whoever said a picture is worth a thousand words, would recalculate the math after viewing this photo.

fogw on November 10, 2006 at 2:20 PM

Great picture Bryan, but isn’t the guy in it a Chief Master Sergeant in the Air Force? Did you mean this as a Marine Corps post? Have I been on the outside looking in for too long?

bdfaith on November 10, 2006 at 2:24 PM

Mea murtha. I should have read the caption first. Senior moment.

bdfaith on November 10, 2006 at 2:25 PM

Is this picture on the front page of the NYTimes?

I doubt it.

James on November 10, 2006 at 2:26 PM

Sorry Bryan,
Even this “million-word” photo cant penetrate the Tin-Foil.

They just don’t get it.

Here’s a guarantee – any nutroot who reads this will immediately think, “Yeah right, insurgents my …., she was probably shot by his troops.”

They just can’t help but hate the troops.

y2church on November 10, 2006 at 2:28 PM

Bryan- A lot of people have commented that we made the mistake of fighting a politically correct war in Iraq.

What strategies do you think we should employ in Iraq to make your statement above come true? With the midterm elections, what do you think we should/will change in Iraq? Al Qaeda on Drudge is claiming 12,000 of their soldiers are in Iraq.

januarius on November 10, 2006 at 2:29 PM

Great post Bryan.

Y2church is unfortunately right though.

Cary on November 10, 2006 at 2:30 PM

Reminded me of this

jeffNWV on November 10, 2006 at 2:31 PM

Is this picture on the front page of the NYTimes?
I doubt it.

I’m interested to know what publication this did run in. I doubt any of the MSM would print this.

vcferlita on November 10, 2006 at 2:31 PM

I meant it as a military post, not specific to any branch. I was in a purple suit environment when I was in the AF, so that’s how I still tend to look at things.

As for what I think we should do going forward, I’m thinking about that and may write something about it before long. Suffice it say that fighting politically correct wars hasn’t served our national interests and is getting us ridiculed by the likes of Iran and al Qaeda. That’s unacceptable.

Bryan on November 10, 2006 at 2:34 PM

God bless AFVChief Master Sgt. Gebhardt, Pantano and all of our troops!
(And God bless this little Iraqi girl, too.)
Yep, way past time for us to live “no worse enemy.”
I’m sure the jihadis will give us the occasion and the opportunity sometime real soon…they’re going to test the mettle of this new Demo-led Congress and the new SecDef, you can bet on it.
Onward and upward to victory!

Jen the Neocon on November 10, 2006 at 2:41 PM

Bryan on November 10, 2006 at 2:34 PM

Darned right!

You’ve said it in perhaps the best way – PC wars only get us killed, opportunities missed or lost, and nations lost.

America is, and should be, above that – after all, we are “the shining city on the hill”, to most of the world. That’s why they still do whatever it takes to be here.

Thanks for your service. I was Air Force (Security Police) 1978-84, Navy (Submarine Service) 85-90, and State Reserve (MP again) 04-present.

God Bless America!

and have a Happy Veteran’s Day!

Emmett J. on November 10, 2006 at 2:45 PM

That’s probably one of the most touching photos I’ve seen. It reminds me of Michael Yon’s photo.

Two wrenching posts today.

The first one is here, where to my shame, doing the right thing was not as instinctive as I would have hoped.

EFG on November 10, 2006 at 2:46 PM

For the betting public I would estimate the odds of this picture ending up with the Mud Stream Media at 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
to 1.
I’m sorry to report the betting window closed at 245pm EST 11/10/06.

fogw on November 10, 2006 at 2:20 PM

Exactly. Just one more unneeded reason to love our country and the men & women that serve it.
God Bless our military personnel past & present.

Sarcasm, Just one more service I provide.

VikingGoneWild on November 10, 2006 at 2:46 PM

We need to revise the current rules of engagement. Let our military be compassionate when they can, but utterly invincible when they cannot.

We need to fight this war to win. Not to appease. The jihadis need to fear us to the point where it is *their* will broken. Not ours.

techno_barbarian on November 10, 2006 at 2:46 PM

Here is a resource of ‘politicaly incorrect’(today) war, it’s effect on the losing side, and how it shaped a nation…

‘Embracing Defeat-Japan in the Wake of WWII’ by John Dower.

War is horrible. War is ugly. War is sometimes necessary.

God bless this Chief Master Sergeant. There are many more just like him in dark and scary places all around the world.

Limerick on November 10, 2006 at 2:47 PM

There are THOUSANDS of stories like this in Iraq and Afghanistan, but the leftist media doesn’t want you to know about it. Once Hillary takes the White House in ’08 we’ll start to see positive stories like this one in the media.

Happy Birthday U.S. Marine Corps (from a former Air Force “Boy Scout”).

Tony737 on November 10, 2006 at 2:56 PM

Fighting a WAR on the “nice” has cost us dearly. Not only in the brave lives that have been lost, but our prestige and influence in the World.
We are in trouble here folks. Things MUST change but is it too late to affect any substantive? Sadr is ever more powerful and now has a protector in Maliki. Iran and Syria havent backed down at all, on the contrary, they are bolder and more vocal than ever.
And yet every single minute these men and women of our Armed Forces are out there FIGHTING for US. Humbling. God Bless all of them.
Thanks Bryan, lookign forward to reading your thoughts about going forward. I guess I am just hoping this is the Darkness before the Dawn.

labwrs on November 10, 2006 at 2:58 PM

Priceless

MikeyB on November 10, 2006 at 2:59 PM

Pictures like that always boost my morale!

I am so proud to be an American.

budorob on November 10, 2006 at 3:07 PM

here are THOUSANDS of stories like this in Iraq and Afghanistan, but the leftist media doesn’t want you to know about it. Once Hillary takes the White House in ‘08 we’ll start to see positive stories like this one in the media.

Tony737 on November 10, 2006 at 2:56 PM

What could be worse for our soldiers than asking them to serve under Hillary as Commander-in-Chief?
They hated her husband, but it will be a new low in morale if she’s at the helm.
Besides, she’s too much of a Marxist to continue the effective deployment of our military in action abroad.
Get a grip, Tony! Hillary’s opinion of the military is about the same as Kerry’s: “stupid,” violent “babykillers.”
Happy Birthday, USMC! You are the Best!

Jen the Neocon on November 10, 2006 at 3:10 PM

The insurgents are evil. If we cut & run, there will be many more sad stories like this.

jman on November 10, 2006 at 3:15 PM

if that does not bring a tear to your eye you have no soul.

God Bless our BAVE men and women.

ross

kara26 on November 10, 2006 at 3:17 PM

Great point Tony!

Why do I have to go to Hot Air to get this story? (no offense b/c w/o HA, I would probably be brainwashed by now)

budorob on November 10, 2006 at 3:24 PM

I agree with this statement 1000%. It is the main factor and a foundation of the problems we’ve experienced for decades. It’s a cancer that has invaded, metastasized and is now killing us from with-in.
We have people who have the knowledge and experience to make decisions, hard decisions, that must be made correctly or people suffer. But because of a few, many of those in the ‘false power of media’, or a politician who’s been GIVEN power, power of the people (congress) given to them by the people. They want us to trust, but somehow they don’t trust those people qualified to make decisions.
Why? It’s just their EGO’s, they want to flex their false power and they’ve found a following. They band together in sick agreement full of harmful writings & opinions that allows more weak to jump behind them in their fears. All in the name of Political Correctness. B.S.
PC is real, dont get me wrong, but it’s how it’s used… by our own, against our own. Losing focus on what needs to be done, losing their ability of being able to trust the ones we put in place to make decisions.
FEAR OF WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK!!! PERIOD. THAT’S ALL IT IS.

Sickness. PC ruined our intelligence departments over the last 40 years first, handcuffing the CIA’s foot soldiers from keeping us informed and safe. Then it got worse. What is said about not learning from your mistakes? We have 9/11 to remind us what happens, in part, from PC handcuffing our intelligence. Why cant this country see that?

We need to return to the kind of hard-nosed thinking

That is more profound than many can understand. Our country and its future, requires nothing less. Thank you Bryan.

shooter on November 10, 2006 at 3:39 PM

Air force photogapher for an AF paper.

Figures….
I vote we each save it and send it to as many media outlets we can find contacts for…….
sure it’s spam, but it’s still better than MSM propoganda.

CBarker on November 10, 2006 at 3:47 PM

Wonder if MADONNA would adopt her?

I know I would. In a minute. In a New York minute.

seejanemom on November 10, 2006 at 3:52 PM

Excellent post, Bryan, outstanding photo. This IS the correct view of how American service personnel view the Iraqi public they are supporting.

The phrase, no better friend, no worse enemy in reference to the U.S. Marines is unattributable to a single individual, but perhaps the man who made it the most popular was Lieutenant General James “Mad Dog” Mattis.

I strongly encourage everyone to visit the Wikipedia link above and click on the photo in the lower left of the letter Gen Mattis wrote to his division the day before commencing operations in Iraq in March 2003.

I was about to write that we need a thousand more like him. We HAVE thousands more like him, but they rarely survive the political brainwashing that is required to make flag rank, and that is a shame.

Freelancer on November 10, 2006 at 4:16 PM

What do the resident trolls, i.e. liberal/democrat, have to say about this post?

Troy Rasmussen on November 10, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Hey! Where did that photo go?

Was there some sort of copywright lawyer issue here?

EFG on November 10, 2006 at 4:58 PM

Happy Birthday USMC, Semper Fi

Viper1 on November 10, 2006 at 5:13 PM

Madonna? Fuggedaboutit. Does anyone want to bet that Sgt. Gebhardt adopts this little girl himself?
I’ll put up $50.

Jen the Neocon on November 10, 2006 at 5:21 PM

A little OT.

The Army Strong commercial has been running quite a lot as of late. While the 60 second version is great, the 2:30 version is just freaking awesome. I’ve only seen the latter on the innertube unfortunately.

Laddy on November 10, 2006 at 5:39 PM

Happy Birthday Marines.

Semper Fidelis, God Bless you all.

infidel4life on November 10, 2006 at 8:26 PM

Don’t worry Jen, I don’t actually believe Hillary is gonna ever gonna be president. Just makin’ a point :-)

Off topic, have any of you guys seen “Dog Fights” on the History Channel? CGI recreations, wow!

Tony737 on November 10, 2006 at 10:58 PM

Thank you for the link to my blog, Bryan.

God bless the military, and all who gave the supreme sacrifice so we can be free.

Muslihoon on November 11, 2006 at 1:53 PM