Silver linings

posted at 10:37 pm on November 7, 2006 by Bryan

The war in Iraq (and the war generally) is obviously the dominant theme of tonight’s election results, and that’s not good for the GOP and more importantly the country. Tonight’s election may well sound the retreat that Hezbollah thug in chief Hassan Nasrallah predicted a few days ago. We could well return to a post-1974 hangover if the Dems can roll what’s left of the GOP and the Bush administration in DC. Not good. It took a Ronald Reagan to turn that mess around.

But.

Conservative values aren’t being thrown out with the GOP tonight, and that’s good news and a way back for the Republicans in a couple of years.

In TN and VA, gay marriage bans have passed easily.

In MI, the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative will probably win. In fact, conservative initiatives seem to have the upper hand generally tonight.

So the party that swept to power on a conservative agenda in 1994 is getting swept out because of an unpopular war and because that party has to some extent abandoned those values that were once its core.

Republicans–come back to those values and you’ll come back to power. You have a couple of years to spar with the Pelosi wing of the Democrat party, which should be useful training.

Comments

Hear hear, Bryan.

But, till its official, I’m hanging onto hope we keep the house and senate.

Unless it already is official.

In which case, that stinks.

EFG on November 7, 2006 at 10:41 PM

We’re doomed!

Give it up!

Doooooooooooooooooomed!

frankj on November 7, 2006 at 10:41 PM

The dems won this round by sprinting to the right with all the rightist/centrist darkhorse candidates; they don’t have much to celebrate since the victory could be seen as phyrric (sp?)

urbancenturion on November 7, 2006 at 10:42 PM

Yes, for two years we can be the backseat bitchers. I don’t miss Rinos. Plus, all those newly elected moderate Dems will become Pelosi’s headache, and will act as a brake on the liberal shennanigans.

Should be fun on the blogs.

Stormy70 on November 7, 2006 at 10:44 PM

Good call. If he lose both houses it’s terrible. If he lose just the House, then maybe then next two years of investigations will snap the GOP back to what it once was. The only thing that scares me is we’ll probably get get some huge amnesty bill passed which will hurt us immensely.

p0s3r on November 7, 2006 at 10:44 PM

pyrrhic :)

lorien1973 on November 7, 2006 at 10:44 PM

This could be a “moral victory” for the republicans, but it still stinks, but life goes on.

madmonaco on November 7, 2006 at 10:45 PM

I don’t think it’s good-enough news considering how Iraq and the War on Terror is the dominant theme, but then I’m tying a Dem majority along with an increased chance of being attacked on American soil (again), or possibly a very huge defeat in the War on Terror after the one that may come from cutting and running. *sigh* And I just hope to God (despite being “non-religious” [which is an understatement]) that we don’t get a Caliphate (or however you spell the Islamofascist dream word) over the United States.

I’m just depressed. And although I did vote, I feared as always that mine didn’t count considering the results… I wanted to write off a possible win for the Dems as just pessimism, but I guess looking up is just the same as looking back the past decade if you had a good life back then (if you weren’t paying attention to politics back then, before we were hit on 09-11-2001).

Cutty S. on November 7, 2006 at 10:45 PM

Oh, it’s not a moral victory for the party. It’s a loss, and maybe a big one. But I don’t see it ushering in wholesale values changes, and in fact those issues still cut against the Democrats. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

Bryan on November 7, 2006 at 10:46 PM

Or to put my last sentence in another way (a simpler way), having a “9/10″ mindset.

Cutty S. on November 7, 2006 at 10:47 PM

This country is truly filled with gullible sheep.

tickleddragon on November 7, 2006 at 10:47 PM

Looks like we will hold on to the Senate, which is great news. It will be actually good for Republicans to have lost the House and reflect. When the Dems become wacky in the House, it will help ensure a Republican presidential victory in 2008 for Giuliani.

Also, with all the Democrats having run as conservatives in red states, I would like to see them enact a liberal agenda. They have to face the red state voters every two years.

Keeping the Senate is great news.

januarius on November 7, 2006 at 10:47 PM

what does this mean?

It means if republicans want to stay in office they have to follow through and promote republican and conservative values. The GOP got soft with victory, its high past time they fix that.

Defector01 on November 7, 2006 at 10:47 PM

The RINO herd has been seriously trimmed. Chafee, Dewine, Nancy Johnson, (maybe Leach and Shays) etc. Santorum’s loss is payback for destroying Pat Toomey to elect that despicable lefty Specter. That is the real silver lining. Now the Iraqis will have to either put up a fight or fall to terrorists whereupon we will drop the bomb on them in the Truman Democrat tradition.

Valiant on November 7, 2006 at 10:49 PM

The grim reality is; that even though Iraq was the right thing to do; it was the wrong thing to do politically.

Republicans owned the democrats, even with bush being a poor speaker, and they were becoming dinosaurs, going further left and further left.

But, given the single bad political call of Iraq (which is turning out poorly right now), they had a resurgence. I think that the victory tonight for the democrats will signal the end to their party (if they put their words into policy that is, and that remains to be seen) in the long run as it is the party of defeat and big government.

Bryan is right, though. Polls still show that people want small government, not big government. Republicans offered big government. they offered scandal and little else. A majority in the house and senate was doing us no good anyways – we still couldn’t get anything passed. Miserable leadership in Washington, top to bottom.

We need more Newt, more traditional conservatism; no more big government neo-cons. That’s where this party went wrong.
If I wanted a watered down democrat, I’d vote for one. That’s the lesson for 2008.

lorien1973 on November 7, 2006 at 10:52 PM

I forgot to add. I WANTED the democrats to win the house this session. If they proceed as I expect – far left with recriminations, it will help us in the presidency in 2008. Having a Republican house and senate for another 2 years would have made it very hard to elect a republican president in 2008. Now, its easier. IMHO. People will see 2 years of far leftism, and run away from democrats in 08, which is a good thing.

lorien1973 on November 7, 2006 at 10:53 PM

There are no silver linings. The terrorists won.

marianpaul on November 7, 2006 at 10:56 PM

I survived ’92, ’96, ’98, ’02. I’m not sure I can get through this time. I’m getting too old for this sh**.

marianpaul on November 7, 2006 at 11:00 PM

There are no silver linings. The terrorists won.

I’m (truly) afraid I have to agree with Marianpaul on this, which is why I don’t understand why Lorien1973 would trust a Democratic House for even two years, given the world we live in today…

Cutty S. on November 7, 2006 at 11:00 PM

abcnews just called the house for the dems…

sigh…

redwolf on November 7, 2006 at 11:01 PM

GOP will now move to the left and offer amnesty for all illegals. They will now kiss what’s left of their base goodbye and pander to illegals, leftist and other assorted scum. Their phoney border bill in the 11th deperate hour was a joke and a slap in the face to all of us. Looks like they got slapped worse. Good riddance to the spineless, gutless panderers.

roninacreage on November 7, 2006 at 11:03 PM

dooooooooooooooooooooomed!

frankj on November 7, 2006 at 11:04 PM

The Iraqi people just lost thousands of lives due to tonights results. If you thought the dems couldn’t loathe our military anymore, you ain’t seen nuthin’ yet.

roninacreage on November 7, 2006 at 11:06 PM

We’re doomed!

Give it up!

Doooooooooooooooooomed

Apparantly, the majority of the electorate has not figured it out. Invader Zim is now to free to summon the intergalactic invasion armada (a la ObsessionTheMovie). I anticipate significant human carnage and sheer terror in the near future.

CyberCipher on November 7, 2006 at 11:12 PM

Come on folks! All is not lost by losing the House. Bush is a far more clever politician than many give him credit for. Sometimes I think the Right falls for the rhetoric of the left that he’s somehow a dimwit. A small loss for the Republicans is still a huge loss for the Democrats. They are not given a mandate by winning only a few seats, and they will have to measure their actions very carefully over the next two years if they want to win the Whitehouse. We all know they’ll screw it up. Just as Bryan mentions, many conservative initiatives on the ballots are winning – some by large margins. The country is not in a liberal mood.

thedecider on November 7, 2006 at 11:17 PM

yeah, i have to agree the terrorists won a huge victory. any bets that Al-Qaeda & other terrorist groups are celebrating right now

Starblazer on November 7, 2006 at 11:18 PM

well i guess that liberals here got their wish, we’ll be fighting terrorist here than over there

Starblazer on November 7, 2006 at 11:19 PM

correction – we’ll be fighting the terrorists over here in the U.S. instead over there.

you can kiss the “Patriot Act” goodbye as well as the NSA.

Starblazer on November 7, 2006 at 11:21 PM

any bets that GregH / honora & other liberal terrorist appeasers are going to gloat

Starblazer on November 7, 2006 at 11:24 PM

There are no terrorists anymore. Just disgruntled youths. Learn the new euphamisms, please. ;)

lorien1973 on November 7, 2006 at 11:24 PM

Interesting point, Allah; my hubby and I have been going back and forth on this tonight.

I’m worried roninacreage is right; the House stood strong against Bush’s illegal immigrant travesty and now that is gone; that will only get worse.

It’s true that some of the Democrats that won tonight identified themselves as moderates or even as having some conservative values; combined with the success of ‘conservative’ initiatives are the two things that you have supporting your assertion though, Allah.

The 2008 election may be moot if el-Shukrijumah has already smuggled a nuke in through our porous Southern border and detonates it before then.

My hubby thinks the just reported House win by the Dems will backfire; that they will take revenge and be quite radical because they’ve been chomping at the bit wanting control back. I hope he’s right; God knows I hope he’s right.

linlithgow on November 7, 2006 at 11:25 PM

Money paragraphs.

Some random thoughts. First of all, we really don’t have to think to hard to figure out why this night turned out this way for Republicans – the last statement of the first quoted paragraph above pretty much says it all. Had the Republican party stuck to its core values, they probably would have kept both houses.

Nevertheless, all is not lost for Republicans, nor is all gained for Democrats. Several of the races they have already won were won by running as “conservative” Democrats. Talking the talk is easy, but now they will have to either walk the walk (if they want to stay in office for more than one term) or bend to the will of the nutroots. There is either going to be some serious tension in the ranks of the democrats – or there will be a seriously left-wing democrat party for all to see in legislative action.

Meanwhile, we have a chance to put new leadership in place, in both the house and the senate, and to get back to the roots of what got us there in the first place.

So while I’d much rather win, there are some valuable lessons here that Republicans can use to recapture the majority in both chambers of congress.

thirteen28 on November 7, 2006 at 11:29 PM

That’s my thinking. They’ll be so extreme to keep the nutroots loyal, that they’ll be unelectable in ’08. Remember clinton in 92. Republicans won B-I-G in 94 after seeing 2 years of that.

lorien1973 on November 7, 2006 at 11:29 PM

Republicans–come back to those values and you’ll come back to power.

Exactly.

Kevin M on November 7, 2006 at 11:33 PM

yes lorien, we don’t want offend those who want to kill us, because it will just make them hate us even more.

Starblazer on November 7, 2006 at 11:33 PM

Thank you. We should, in fact, thank them for letting us see the error of ours as our buildings implode. Now you are learning. Silly republicans.

lorien1973 on November 7, 2006 at 11:35 PM

i guess Karl Rove is not a genius as we thought he was

Starblazer on November 7, 2006 at 11:36 PM

update – Democrats control the House

Starblazer on November 7, 2006 at 11:37 PM

this is a sad sad day in America

Starblazer on November 7, 2006 at 11:40 PM

Tony Snow told FNC that Bush plans to push his amnesty comprehensive immigration reform through the Dem House to be rubber stamped by the Senate. I think I’m coming down with BDS….

Valiant on November 7, 2006 at 11:43 PM

Those damn republicans in the house were trying to secure our borders! Get them out of office. Bastards.

lorien1973 on November 7, 2006 at 11:43 PM

Cheer up mates ! Lieberman won, and with that win he just told the nutroots to F off. There will be a number of Dems who are gonna stand up and take notice. Plus, here in WI, a win for the definition of gay marriage as a union of a man and women. Another: a referendum that would basically tell the state legislature that the voters lean strongly for a death penalty for 1st degree homocide if the conviction is based on DNA evidance. That doesn’t mean that the death penalty was passed, just that the voters would pressure the state to enact a death penalty.

Take the victories where you can get’em

Mojomatrix on November 7, 2006 at 11:51 PM

Valiant

That’s why I said in another thread that I’d have rather Republicans lost the Senate than the House. The one thing the House was conservative on was too important.

Ah well. Time to pick up Spanish I guess. :/

Benaiah on November 8, 2006 at 12:00 AM

Get a clue fellow conservatives. Half the country is slimeball liberals.. HALF!!!! They weren’t confused. They weren’t misguided. They weren’t lost. It wasn’t a momentary lapse in judgement. HALF the country thinks the same thoughts as Nancy Pelosi and John Conyers and Ted Kennedy. HALF!!! Civil war should be imminent!! Where do I sign up?

RobertCSampson on November 8, 2006 at 12:22 AM

What happened was the democrats used the MSM and cluttered the debate with all sort of suggstions and claims.

The republicans lost some rhinos and some good guys as well.

But the truth was that the MSM rose up and decieded to hand the democrats the victory. From foley to Iraq to Delay to Abramhoff the MSM has sounded the clarion call for the democrats and shilled for them.

In any south American country if you want to take power you seize control of the TV stations and radios. And that is what the democrats did they got their stooges in the MSM to ride shotgun for them.

I call on all the conservative blogs to continue to hammer the MSM and their obvious biases and continue to call them on all their BS. Until we debunk their built in media control they will be hard to defeat.

Remember in 2004 they tried with rathergate and other assorted tricks. It failed then due to the dilagence of the bloggers. We must continue as the outside voice now to confront their biases and expose the corruption that exists in the new democratic congress.

William Amos on November 8, 2006 at 12:25 AM

There are no silver linings. The terrorists won.

And the illegal aliens…

SouthernGent on November 8, 2006 at 12:43 AM

Remember though that Bill Clinton won in 1992 and the Democrats had full control of all the branches of government and seem to be unstopable. Within two years the democrats lost power and control of the COngres after decades.

History is just repeating itself.

William Amos on November 8, 2006 at 12:47 AM

marianpaul wrote: “There are no silver linings. The terrorists won.”

Yes, and thanks to the Democrats controlling the House, our terrorist enemies will strike the USA as soon as they can. And Democrats, being Dhimis, will do NOTHING, just as they did under Clinton.

Well, I’m not going to play “good loser” in a war of national survival — and that is what this war the Jihadists started is.

Normally, I’d be a “good loser,” and try to be a uniter. I’d give the new Congress a “honeymoon” period.

Not this time.

They did not give the Bush administration and the Republicans a “honeymoon.” The Democratic Party and the media started their attacks on the day after the election in 2000. They played every dirty trick, used every smear, told every lie they could to get back into power EVEN IF IT MEANT GIVING AID AND COMFORT TO AL QAEDA in the process. They and the media have sabotaged the war on terrorism, their victory tonight in the House has given new life to Al Qaeda They have openly PROMISED — and no doubt will deliver on that promise — something that bin Laden and the Jihadists could not do: defeat America in Iraq and in Afghanistan.

I consider the House to be “occupied territory, held in enemy hands.”

I’m going to do my damnedest to insure that the Democrats are humiliated in 2008.

georgej on November 8, 2006 at 12:48 AM

hey SouthernGent, they’re supposed to be called “undocument workers” you know, they’re here to do the jobs that Americans won’t do

Starblazer on November 8, 2006 at 12:56 AM

i have to agree with georgej.

Starblazer on November 8, 2006 at 12:57 AM

William Amos called for “all the conservative blogs to continue to hammer the MSM and their obvious biases and continue to call them on all their BS.”

There is only one problem with this, William. As soon as they can, the Democrats will “clean up” talk radio and the “blogs” by re-implementing the “fairness doctrine,” and “campaign finance reform,” to insure that our voices are silenced. The only voice in the land, if they succeed, will be the liberal MSM. There will be no “freepers” to catch the next Dan Rather forged documents.

I hope that the Senate does not cave, but with the undertanding of how “conference committees” operate and how to attach unpalatible provisions to “must pass” bills, I expect the Senate to cave in and pass, with Bush signing them — and we can kiss this blog good by.

I hope I’m wrong, but if you go to the nutroots’ blogs, that is what they were demanding if they got control again. And that is what I expect to see happen.

You see, they don’t DARE allow us to exist as an opposition force in being. They don’t dare allow us to use this vehicle of communication to coordinate responses and/or oppose their agenda. They will do their absolute damnedest to SHUT US UP! You can take it to the bank that they do not want contrary opinion to their to be heard by the public. Blog at DU or DKOS and see what happens.

georgej on November 8, 2006 at 1:01 AM

Hell, I think it’s cool we get to bitch and moan for a while!

Earthquake? Blame Pelosi.
Gas prices go up? It’s probably Charlie Rangel’s fault.
Faith Hill grumpy on television? It’s a Harry Reid conspiracy.

C’mon, kidz. Think of the possibilities. Just wait until the next major hurricane. I’m going to find a television camera and declare: “Congress hates black people.”

It’ll be a hoot.

Professor Blather on November 8, 2006 at 1:02 AM

Bryan, those of us a little bit older have been through this before. You are right-there are silver linings, and even a Dem-held Congress still has to function at the direction of the American people. Meaning, if you are a conservative/Republican who has a Dem Senator…more than ever, make your voice heard. Often, in every conceivable manner. And watch the Dems…like Hawks.
And you are absolutely right, and need to make the point often: Republicans, stop spending/acting like Democrats and return to the Conservative values you once held. Dance with the one who brought you to the party. As I haven’t mentioned it on this forum recently:
Term Limits
Term Limits
Term Limits.
Now get some sleep and wake up ready to move /.

Doug on November 8, 2006 at 1:31 AM

I agree 100%. It is for this reason that I’m relieved that Republicans lost tonight. You can’t have new (Conservative) growth until you clear out all the dead wood. There is no way a return to Conservative issues was going to happen with the current batch of socialism-friendly power-hungry Republicans at the helm. In that sense, I’m voting for the fire because ultimately I want the forest to be stronger.

Mark Jaquith on November 8, 2006 at 1:39 AM

I don’t think “newly elected moderate” dems will rein in Pelosi and the rest- rather I think she and the other muckamucks will put the screws on the newbies to join the goose step.
The 5th district in my state has elected a “former” member of Nation of Islam,supported by CAIR,a man who supports Kathleen Soliah and several cop-killers now in jail.Pelosi won’t need to use any screws on him.
In Minnesota,and other states, there ARE no moderate dems, the terms are exclusive.They are one with the Borg,and I don’t see the new ones behaving any differently.
Resistance is futile!

lizzee on November 8, 2006 at 7:52 AM

At the risk of sounding like pre-election Nancy Pelosi, how do we know the voting machines weren’t hacked into or otherwise tampered with? Interesting how the last couple of months in the lead up to the election, two groups went very quiet: Bin Laden, et al. and the Mexican-flag-waving-protesting illegal immigrants.The former, with it’s sharp learning curve, didn’t want to repeat the boost they gave to Bush/Republicans in 2004. The illegals, in my opinion, went TOO quiet into the dark night, possibly surfacing just in time to pull off a bloodless coup at the polls? (There’s a small sprinkling of complaints in several blogs by those who personally witnessed this phenomenon) Any way to find out how many thousands of illegals actually cast ballots? I realize this paranoia is partly from sleep deprivation, partly to squash the white hot rage I feel after seeing Reid & Pelosi slobbering all over each other. Maybe I’m just trying to come to terms with the fact that South Park way underestimated the percentage of retards in this country. Obviously it’s closer to 50%. Gotta go, it’s getting windy out here on the ledge — I almost spilled my Drano latte.

NightmareOnKStreet on November 8, 2006 at 8:54 AM

Cheer up!

After the rain indeed!

SouthernGent on November 8, 2006 at 9:07 AM

‘Moderate Democrat’ is an oxymoron. They are playing the Bill Clinton game, which is to deceive people into voting you into power by talking the conservative game and then governing like the liberal you really are. Remember Clinton’s first official act? Don’t ask don’t tell.

As for the war in Iraq, we’ve been using the ‘make nice’ strategy for waaaaay too long. Mookie al Sadr should have been killed years ago. But no. He just takes a few American lives every day. The people want victory but instead we get the drip, drip, drip of American blood with no end in sight. No wonder people are disillusioned. The only way you win a war is to fight it with vigor. After total victory you can start making nice.

As for the corruption issue, both sides are corrupt but MSM only focused on Repub corruption. And Foley really takes the cake. Never mind about William Jefferson, Harry Reid and his crooked land deal, Bob Menendez, etc. Those stories didn’t even get covered by the drive bys.

I’d like to agree with BP, but this morning I see no such silver linings. Once again the American people look like the paper tiger Osama said we are. Pitiful. Just pitiful. Now all of those lives lost will be in vain and the troops on the front lines know they have been abandoned once again. Hello Viet Nam.

pistolero on November 8, 2006 at 9:08 AM

I feel sick. This is a disaster for our country. If I was an Iraqi, I’d feel even worse- the cut & run will begin in January 2007.

Abigail Adams on November 8, 2006 at 9:09 AM

I say to the Dems bring it on. This is what you’ve wanted,show us what you got baby. Just remember,the blogosphere is watching you(cue scary music).

vcferlita on November 8, 2006 at 10:14 AM

The Republican Party needed a cleansing, and that is what they got. You reap what you sow.

WisCon on November 8, 2006 at 10:15 AM

I agree with William Amos and those who believe that it was largely due to the MSM that we were defeated here. Day after day of nothing but death and destruction in regards to Iraq. Even Fox showed little more positive stories. Had the scales been more balanced in the portrayal of the war, I believe that many less politically involved citizens would have voted for Republicans. I am keeping my fingers crossed, and praying that Allen at least keeps his seat in the senate.

Teal on November 8, 2006 at 10:36 AM

As for the party “needing a cleansing”, not in my state. Rick Santorum was the BEST!

Teal on November 8, 2006 at 10:37 AM

Bloggers must continue to attack the MSM and the Democrats.
CONTACT your CongressCritter and Senators and TELL them what YOU WANT.

If Capital Hill is flooded with calls/emails/faxes that are opposed to the ‘Fairness Doctrine’ – they will not bring it back. (Remember, such a move will also limit the ‘nutroots’ as well.)

also, look around your area, and identify your next Congressman, now.
Start on 2008, with your congressional district

Marvin on November 8, 2006 at 11:03 AM

“kind of abandoned”?

are you serious?

Bryan, I love ya man, but the republicans have just about tossed them as a whole out the window.

Consider that we’ve spent billions more than we should ASIDE from the war in Iraq (which is a justifiable expense) on medical care for people who shouldn’t even be with in our borders. We’ve spent tons of tax payer dollars filing lawsuits to destroy the rights of the republican base. The aclu IS government funded. We’ve watched the republicans do NOTHING about the NYT and the LA Times as they’ve spread our national secrets across their pages, and sat idly by as citizens call our president a war criminal, a nazi, and a war monger with out so much as a peep.

Why would we respect a group of people who will not only shirk off their campaign promises of smaller government with less beurocratic layers and a secure nation (hello! MEXICO has practically moved IN!), but also keeps getting caught in the middle of scandals and corruption?

The republicans beat themselves.

Personally I hope they pull their heads out of their collective butts before 08

or we’re all in serious trouble.

One Angry Christian on November 8, 2006 at 11:44 AM

Republicans–come back to those values and you’ll come back to power.

Somehow I don’t think the Republican party is going to see it this way.

Two years ago they backed Arlen Specter over Pat Toomey in the primaries because they said that a true conservative couldn’t win the general election.

Last night, the voting public proved their theory.

Over the past 6 years, we’ve had a House that passed a lot of good bills. We’ve also had a Senate that was extremely wishy-washy, with RINO’s frequently siding with the Democrats making the Republican majority essentially meaningless. So how did we “punish them” for their liberal behavior? By handing the House (which had done quite well by conservative measures) over to the Dems and kicking out the most conservative members of the Senate!

The only lesson I can see for the Republican party is this: True Conservatives can’t be elected. Only Centrists and outright Liberals need apply.

EWTHeckman on November 8, 2006 at 11:44 AM

Personally I hope they pull their heads out of their collective butts before 08

or we’re all in serious trouble.

One Angry Christian

We’re all in serious trouble anyway. I don’t expect to have a job in 2008–the work I do depends on people having enough money to travel and to buy things that need to be shipped, and the tax hikes and cost of energy hikes are going to destroy the economy. And that’s without Islamofascist attacks on the U.S. mainland or Middle East oil fields…

Radish on November 8, 2006 at 2:22 PM

Bryan on November 7, 2006 at 10:46 PM

Bryan, you are kidding yourself. The Conservative Movement just got frelled with barbed wire, and we have a minimum of 2 more years of that to look foreward to. Any items that won will soon be litigated in the courts, and there remains enough liberal activist judges to kill any supposed gains we won. Indeed, I expect the Hush Rush bill to be brought to the table again, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it didn’t extend to the net.

We didn’t win a #%$! thing!

DannoJyd on November 8, 2006 at 5:40 PM

Conservative values? Reagan and Goldwater before him would not recognize the party today. Both of these guys were secularists, pure and simple, and staunch fiscal conservatives–all this hogwash about gay marriage and pro-life/choice is the Potemkin village that obscures (less and less successfully) the big government, big spending, anti-libertarian, K-Street, nation building mess that now passes for the Republican party.

honora on November 9, 2006 at 10:18 AM