Video: The Simpsons on Iraq; Update: Abu Ghraib movie planned

posted at 10:38 pm on November 5, 2006 by Allahpundit

Not funny, but intentionally so. For a change.

I cut a bit out that had to do with the plot, which was a parody of the Orson Welles “War of the Worlds” hysteria in 1938. Enjoy the irony of an anti-occupation message being delivered in the context of a WWII-era narrative.

Update: A million interesting stories about Iraq. Guess which one Errol Morris picked.

Comments

Worst. Episode. Ever.

JamesVersusEveryone on November 5, 2006 at 10:42 PM

Who are the Simpsons?…..are they the ones with that cute Kenny kid?….

Just trash….agree with James…worst.

Limerick on November 5, 2006 at 10:44 PM

Eh was a lot weaker than I thought it could be.

But Im sure the nutroots will claim this cartoon is proof they are right

William Amos on November 5, 2006 at 10:45 PM

The simpsons is still on the air?

lorien1973 on November 5, 2006 at 10:46 PM

Glad I stopped watching them back in the 80s.

p0s3r on November 5, 2006 at 10:48 PM

This was a parody of the Iraq occupation? So…Springfield was committing mass murder against its own citizens? Springfield imprissoned and tortured political dissidents? Springfield ignored the world community and denied access to weapons inspectors?

Thats a pretty good parody.

SnakeintheGrass on November 5, 2006 at 10:51 PM

Simpsons is (was) great… This pisses me off.. but not nearly as much as the Family Guy tonight.

AP, did you happened to record Family Guy? They basically stole lines out of John Kerry’s jokebook for the first 5 minutes. Not parodying Kerry, but mocking the military the same way he did. Had some Iraq scenes too, but that wasn’t nearly as offensive.

RightWinged on November 5, 2006 at 10:52 PM

Whoopde Do. Yeah, I’m glad I stopped watching this in the 80′s too. If I want politial satire in my cartoons, i’ll watch South Park. At least Matt & Trey still know how to do funny. Simpsons is so 9/10/01.

NeoConSnakePlissken on November 5, 2006 at 10:52 PM

They’re getting a bit long in the tooth, and the funny bits are harder to come by. I actually did chuckle over the “Operation Enduring Occupation” jibe just because it’s such liberal claptrap.

thedecider on November 5, 2006 at 10:53 PM

Christopher Hitchens debunked this cliche of the left earlier this year when Chris Matthews tried to use it on him. And I’d say at the moment, that the majority of Iraqis are reasonably happy with us, at least for one thing.

Ed Driscoll on November 5, 2006 at 10:54 PM

I dunno…..’I am Bart Simpson and I approve of this message’ sorta takes the bite out of the episode.

Limerick on November 5, 2006 at 10:54 PM

BTW to JamesVersusEveryone: cool website

thedecider on November 5, 2006 at 10:55 PM

That smoke over the city looks photoshopped.

infidel4life on November 5, 2006 at 10:58 PM

it was a cartoon. it was making a joke.

even we need to know when to laugh at ourselves. blowing an aneurysm over something like this is a nutroot move – let us rise above. hat tip, simpsons.

paranoid on November 5, 2006 at 11:11 PM

David Letterman told Bill O’Reilly that he can never find the “The Factor/No Spin Zone” because every time he tunes in to Fox, it’s always airling an episode of the Simpsons. (Of course Letterman is SUCH a moron, he doesn’t realize that FoxNews and Fox are different channels.) This epsiode of the Simpsons explains a LOT. Now I know where Letterman has been getting his Iraq war coverage.

CyberCipher on November 5, 2006 at 11:13 PM

The above says it all. They missed the mark- not enough reality for the humor to work.

Scotsman on November 5, 2006 at 11:14 PM

I didn’t watch the episode, but I just gotta tell you, I don’t think that is Marge’s natural haircolor.

bloggless on November 5, 2006 at 11:16 PM

Halloween???? It’s not called Halloween anymore!!!!! Don’t want to offend the witches. It is now called “Costume Day”.

bloggless on November 5, 2006 at 11:18 PM

“Incidentally, why does the Simpsons’ annual “Treehouse of Horror” episode now always seem to air after Halloween? It’s a bit like airing a New Year’s Eve show on January 7th.”

FOX covers baseball instead now.

It’s official. The Simpsons, whose popularity outlasted the phrase “jump the shark” has now jumped the shark. We’ll stand around the water cooler next year and remark, “Remember when the Simpsons called the war an endless occupation instead of, you know, saying something funny? I mean, even if you believe it’s true… how is that funny?”

Kadnine on November 5, 2006 at 11:21 PM

Lame.

alflauren on November 5, 2006 at 11:25 PM

But… didn’t we develop nuclear weapons ten years later?

Isn’t that part of the joke?

Keljeck on November 5, 2006 at 11:26 PM

The Simpsons really pulled a Dixie Chicks. I love how Hotair has coverage of Saddam being sentenced to hanging for crimes against humanity right next to the Simpsons’ portrayal of our soldiers as drooling while they annihilate Springfield.

pedestrian on November 5, 2006 at 11:27 PM

I thought the “Family Guy” was pretty good?

SouthernGent on November 5, 2006 at 11:29 PM

Blob – Very funny
Golem – Amusing (has some truth in kabbalah) but not really halloween
War of the Worlds – good until htey threw freakin politics in it

Defector01 on November 5, 2006 at 11:36 PM

I thought the “Family Guy” was pretty good?

SouthernGent on November 5, 2006 at 11:29 PM

You kidding? Did you catch the beginning? They mocked Army Recruiters as selling kids a story about how being in the Army is a big cruise ship party, then Chris was “fooled” in to wanting to join. He was talked out of it, but Brian (with Stewie in tow) went to chew out the recruiters at the recruitment office. While putting change in the meter, the recruiter talked Stewie in to signing up, and for another $100 signing up Brian. Oh yeah, and somewhere in there, there was a comment about “the bottom 10% of their class” joining the Army. Again, the whole first 5 minutes was like straight out of Kerry’s brain.

RightWinged on November 5, 2006 at 11:36 PM

Watching American Dad –> damn those log cabin republicans can throw down :-p

Defector01 on November 5, 2006 at 11:39 PM

Only redeeming feature was American Dad that had this classic line….

“If we stop hating the gays, we have that much more hate for Democrats!”

Oh yeah, not biased at all….

Mortis on November 5, 2006 at 11:40 PM

I thought it was a decently funny episode until that last 30 seconds where it just ground to a halt.

frankj on November 5, 2006 at 11:41 PM

Wasn’t Halloween last week or is University of Pennsylvania still having a party.

Texyank on November 5, 2006 at 11:49 PM

Dave knew they were different channels. He was trying to get Oreilly to say “fox news” so Dave could scoff or say something dumb. Oreilly didn’t play along, though.

lorien1973 on November 5, 2006 at 11:49 PM

Family guy is always very left biased. You have to ignore it though, because its so funny. That, and how stupid the bias is, makes it apparent how little thought liberals put into their positions.

lorien1973 on November 5, 2006 at 11:50 PM

Then we somehow convinced Seth Macfarlane that he can do a political satire, and thus the monster known as American Dad was spawned.

For God’s sake why did we create such a beast!?

Keljeck on November 5, 2006 at 11:54 PM

the american dad episode was kinda funny
ends with the gays being allowed in the republican party :-p

Defector01 on November 5, 2006 at 11:57 PM

Pretty weak sauce, as the kids these days say….

TBinSTL on November 6, 2006 at 12:12 AM

lorien1973 on November 5, 2006 at 11:50 PM

I usually can, but they were outright mocking troops this time, and again, it wasn’t a reference to Kerry’s comment (they way it might have played out had it been South Park or something). It was just the “conventional wisdom” that the troops are the bottom of the barrel. Wish they could stick to jokes like this or this.

RightWinged on November 6, 2006 at 12:16 AM

on the funny side
family guy proved that john kerry obviously doesn’t know what he’s talking about

final test included a rigorous physical course + a rubix cube (can’t do that) + finding waldo + the pop-up game + properly waitoring and finally counceling a despondent woman.

You can’t do all that and be an idiot

:-D

Defector01 on November 6, 2006 at 12:19 AM

seriously guys – fox cartoons? worrying about family guy expressing kerry’s “talking points”? if family guy is expressing it, they’re mocking the source. Zomg, wash out the sand and focus on the important shiat. fox sunday aint it.

paranoid on November 6, 2006 at 12:20 AM

Funny how libs always call it Faux News, etc. and the network runs shows like this. Incredible. These don’t represent America.

Catroast on November 6, 2006 at 12:29 AM

paranoid on November 6, 2006 at 12:20 AM

They weren’t mocking the source paranoid, you’d have to have seen it. It had nothing at all to do with this week’s flap. Anyway, I thought it relevant considering the topic of this post. And of course this isn’t “important shiat”, but what else is there to say about the “important shiat” at the moment? And keep in mind how many college kids and the like don’t pay attention to the news, but think they’re up on everything from watching these cartoons and the late shows? You can’t just brush them off as idiots. They are millions of idiots who’s votes still count as much as yours and can cancel yours out.

RightWinged on November 6, 2006 at 12:35 AM

You don’t think they may have chosen this episode at this time because there’s an election on Tuesday, do you?

Christoph on November 6, 2006 at 12:47 AM

On a brighter note, who else digs the chick in the bikini bottoms in the right sidebar ThoseShirts.com ad on the main page?

RightWinged on November 6, 2006 at 12:52 AM

Fox News Channel and Fox Network are 2 different companies, who share a parent company.

DaveS on November 6, 2006 at 12:54 AM

RightWinged on November 6, 2006 at 12:52 AM

Indeed–I noted that in the “Sunday shows” thread, RW. Rather distracting camel toe, too.

bloggless on November 5, 2006 at 11:18 PM

I can’t speak for all of them, but my g/f’s a witch, and she calls it Halloween. She went as a very sexy lady pirate this year.

ReubenJCogburn on November 6, 2006 at 2:00 AM

Diversification is how you grab multiple demographics. Fox News for the thinking folks who want TV news that isn’t ABC/NBC/CBS, and the Fox Network for the young folks and liberals (a shared demographic, since liberals are still teenagers, mentally)

Freelancer on November 6, 2006 at 2:13 AM

Is anyone surprised? They people are liberals and that means…
Conscienceless
Hypocritical

x95b10 on November 6, 2006 at 2:29 AM

FrankJ did it! FrankJ did it! (New Jokes from John Kerry)

CatsGodot on November 6, 2006 at 2:29 AM

I had no idea Mayor Quimby had massacred 400,000 people and dropped them into mass graves. I was unaware his sons were feeding Sprinfieldians to plastic and paper shredders and torturing the Springfield Olympic Team. I didn’t know Quimby and Chief Wiggum had secret rape rooms and torture chambers where little girls would be raped inches from their fathers.

I’m disappointed how a show so cerebral could lower itself to such stupidity and give in to the MSM belief how Saddam was just misunderstood.

Black Adam on November 6, 2006 at 4:02 AM

Now – Now. Don’t get hung up with Family Guy. South Park did a 2 parter called Cartoon Wars. Look it up on YouTube.

Egfrow on November 6, 2006 at 4:48 AM

The Simpsons are more often making funny against the left than they do the right when it comes to political ideology. Did you all not see last week’s repeat of the PC teachers episode? I kept it recorded as it was very funny. I also have Family Guy recorded if any particular seen you want me to make available.

zerodamage on November 6, 2006 at 7:16 AM

HeH! The Simpson’s are still on??

Talon on November 6, 2006 at 7:33 AM

Yeah yeah…but I loved the Fallout reference there.

thelinyguy on November 6, 2006 at 8:12 AM

I hear ya, Rightwinged! GRRR, Baby!

Troy Rasmussen on November 6, 2006 at 8:17 AM

Rather distracting camel toe, too.

Lol, yeah I wasn’t going to say anything.

RightWinged on November 6, 2006 at 8:32 AM

We have Michelle and Katherine, they have Homer and Marge.
We win by default.

right2bright on November 6, 2006 at 8:35 AM

Hey, I liked the “hearts and minds” bit. That was funny!

The rest? Bah.

Why do liberals insist on nuance on simple issues … and then (like this) completely over-simplify issues where a little nuance might be a good thing.

The cartoon is basically right: of course the Iraqis resent a foreign presence. But as someone noted above, the Simpsons bit forgot a couple things.

For example, I suspect that as much as they resent our presence, they also kind of resented mass graves, millions dead in Iran/Kuwait/Saudi Arabia, weapons of mass destruction being used on them by their government, 300,000 missing and dead, institutionalized rape, and being fed feet first through plastic shredders. You know. Little stuff like that. Stuff that makes having to pass through an American checkpoint on the way to work in the morning … not quite so bad …

I guess telling the WHOLE story would have taken some effort. Some of that “nuance” the “reality based” community pretends to adore.

The Simpsons can be funny – but it will never be as funny or as politically accurate as South Park precisely because of what they did here. South Park might have done a very similar scene (although better) … but I guarantee they would have mocked BOTH sides and included BOTH sides of the argument.

Anybody’s who’s seen the classic episode pitting the patriotic rednecks versus the smug hippies as the boys try to decide who’s right for their school project … will know what I mean.

Still: “hearts and minds.” That was good. :)

Professor Blather on November 6, 2006 at 8:41 AM

Hey, I liked the “hearts and minds” bit. That was funny!

Bah! I did that joke over a year ago. And, if I did it, it has to be pretty obvious.

frankj on November 6, 2006 at 8:45 AM

I can kinda agree with zerodamage a bit, though they pull punches on the conservatives moreso. But when they hit the libs it really stands out.
Lisa – “Grandpa, didn’t you wonder why you were getting a paycheck for doing absolutely nothing?”
Grandpa – “I thought it was because the Democrats were in power.”

For those who claim they watched the Simpsons in the 80s, they were called the Simpson shorts and they ran as tiny fillers on the Tracy Ullman show in the late 80s. The 1st full Simpson episode aired in Dec. 1989.

I can imagine the artists’ anguish after the producers tore gag after gag apart in the 3rd act till they ended up with what we saw last night. I did like Homer the Blob. And I absolutely adore Fran Drescher for all the right & wrong reasons.

As written earlier, it’s just a toon. If it makes you laugh, laugh. If it doesn’t, go eat something, or see if Get Smart is on TV Land.

Coronagold on November 6, 2006 at 8:54 AM

Doh!!(Sorry, couldn’t resist>)

vcferlita on November 6, 2006 at 9:08 AM

The Simpsons remain the best comedy on tv. The writing is great. The thing that struck me about this episode is that it’s pretty indicative of the majority POV–the Simpsons are usually ahead of the curve.

honora on November 6, 2006 at 9:16 AM

That was funny. From the look of the comments, though, it doesn’t look like anyone actually knows or watches the Simpsons. It’s a show entirely devoted to satire. There’s a reason it’s still on the air.

budorob on November 6, 2006 at 9:20 AM

I was a big fan and had been buying the DVD’s. Season 8 DVD commentary one of the writers said something along the lines of “our criminal idiot President”, to which Matt Groening (the creator) seemed to agree.

I’m not going to purchase any further DVD’s, I’d prefer to remember the show as it was, before the writers decided to bestow their political wisdom upon us.

Jason on November 6, 2006 at 9:31 AM

Skipped this one and plan on skipping it from now on. Tasteless to make our soldiers dying and terrorism in full bloom a punchline.

Hening on November 6, 2006 at 9:58 AM

Yeah yeah…but I loved the Fallout reference there.

..And it’s still possible to enjoy the game despite the political jibes at the end. Come to think of it, they were in Fallout 2.. but you get the idea.

Looking forward to Bioshock, then?

I haven’t watched the Simpsons in quite some time; not because of any feelings regarding political overtones, but simply because it just isn’t compelling viewing anymore. I still remember the first episode I didn’t find funny was the ‘where are they now’ episode (Moe and his ‘dating machine’, that sort of thing).

Jumped to Family Guy; it’s still worth it for Stewie and Brian alone. American Dad, When I can, if I remember it’s on. Come on, it’s got Patrick Stewart in it!

But yes, in quite a turnaround from many years ago, I actually make an effort to watch… South Park, these days..

Reaps on November 6, 2006 at 10:01 AM

Anyone who has watched the Simpsons regularly knows the show has gradually progressed towards social satire more and more each season. Although, unlike South Park which devotes entire episodes to mocking the hypocrisy and idoicy of both sides, the Simpsons usually just throws in a few politcal jokes. Their attempt last night was pretty lame; the hearts and minds joke was pretty funny and I would buy a “Cheney/Rumseld ’08 Occupation Enduring Occupation” T-shirt in a mintute…other than that. eh.

John Kerry must have watched an advanced screening of Family Guy before his little joke, that makes perfect sense. Although, trying to be as funny as Stewie is a mistake; no one is that good. So, everyone here seems to agree that comedy is left-leaning other than South Park which rips apart everybody, but why is that? There has to be some funny conservatives out there? Where are their talk shows and cartoons? My guess, it’s just hard to be funny when you’re preoccupied with gays destroying family values and paranoid Muslims are planning a cultural coup. Yeah, it’s much easier to laugh when you’re drinking an organic smoothie and taking a bong rip.

JaHerer22 on November 6, 2006 at 10:02 AM

Anyone want to bet the Abu Ghraib movie comes out October of 2008?

Catseye on November 6, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Blob – Very funny
Golem – Amusing (has some truth in kabbalah) but not really halloween
War of the Worlds – good until htey threw freakin politics in it

Defector01 on November 5, 2006 at 11:36 PM

I agree (though wouldn’t say it was “very funny”, just funny), but why do they always have to throw one-sided politics into it??

All three of them did it last night. First the Simpson’s, then American Dad, which mocked Republicans as homophobic bigots (is that really original anymore), and last with Family Guy and middle schoolers being tricked into enrolling.

The Left has got their panties in a bunch over Fox showing Obession right before an election but not a peep over this blantant bias against Republicans that happens every single Sunday.

I’m done with all of those shows. They’re not that funny (at least without drugs), and they’re offensive.

Sure South Park offends me every now and then, but at least they get the other side too.

Esthier on November 6, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Or at least it’s much easier to think you’re funny.

Seriously, these shows haven’t made me laugh since my experimental college days. Yeah, at 2am on Adult Swim (Cartoon network’s after hours shows) after drinking or whatever, Family Guy had me in stitches.

Esthier on November 6, 2006 at 10:07 AM

I haven’t caught an episode of the Simpsons in ages and when I finally do, it’s a bunch of unfunny, inaccurate, political smut.

I guess I wasn’t missing much after all.

it wasn’t just the Simpsons either. Family Guy and American Dad got even more political than normal and things got uncomfortably NOT funny at times with those usually humorous cartoons.

If you’re looking for political humor, South Park is still the way to go. They don’t take themselves so seriously and they tend to make a point. I think that’s where Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad went wrong yesterday.

Yakko77 on November 6, 2006 at 10:30 AM

Family Guy and American Dad only reinforce my preference to watching Mobile Suit Gundam, Macrosss, Lupin III, and a plethora of others including Speed Racer…

allie on November 6, 2006 at 11:19 AM

The joke is one the animated aliens.

We on Earth are working on weapons of mass disintegration.

Have been since Alamogordo.

Guess the scriptwriters missed that little detail.

Not as bright as the light of ten thousand suns of them.

(But then, it’s always the glittering and shallow surface of history and not the corruscating and kinky reality that matters to those looking for the cheapest of shots. They can contact me through this site if they need a rewrite guy on staff… they’d gain an intellectual third dimension to their current 2-D clap and trap.)

Were the aliens drooling less than usual?… budget cuts in Korea?

profitsbeard on November 6, 2006 at 11:33 AM

Lol, yeah I wasn’t going to say anything.

RightWinged on November 6, 2006 at 8:32 AM

Heh. I didn’t want anybody missing out.

Oh, and when I said my g/f is a witch, she really is a Wiccan. Wouldn’t want anybody thinking she had the personality (such as it is) of a Hillary or a Nancy Pelosi.

ReubenJCogburn on November 6, 2006 at 12:00 PM

…if you’re going to present a simplistic point of view, do it with a cartoon, I say.

The Left has been talking in cartoons and bumperstickers for nearly a generation now….

Simpsons “ahead of the curve”? Go ahead, Honey…you live in a cartoon world, cartoons are your role models. They’ve got Bart and Lisa doing their thinking for them.

…but ahead of the curve? Springfield is an imaginary place which encompasses all that the Left hates: their politicians are in the tank, their church-goers are either hypocrites or are diabetes-inducingly perky, and their working stiffs are either goons or buffoons. The only smart ones are Bart and Lisa who’re between them malevolent and strident, the Leftists perfect mix.

From what I’ve seen of Springfield, it should’ve been nuked years ago.

Puritan1648 on November 6, 2006 at 12:13 PM

Honestly, South Park is the closest thing to a right-wing cartoon.

Anybody see MadTV? They made a bunch of great jokes about John Kerry.

The best was Family Guy last night. Brian and Stewie are trying to get out of Iraq, but all of a sudden, the violence stops and we are victorious. They say something like, there’s only one genius who could have thought it was going to happen like this…and they shoot to a sketch of W in the White House trying to push a slinkie down the stairs. When he’s finally successful, he starts calling for Laura like an excited child. Classic “Bush is stupid” humor.

budorob on November 6, 2006 at 12:34 PM

The episode took a dozen swipe and the polticis going on. They went on and on with jokes about recent politics. I thought it was well done. Although I thought many were wrong. Some of the creators of the simpsons are on the left loony side. But the show is stil one of my Favs. In fact when Baseball pre-empts the Simpsons, I get pissed. The Holloween epside was 1 week late because of Baseball. I say move Baseball to other network. The Simpsons are more important.

retired on November 6, 2006 at 12:46 PM

honora on November 6, 2006 at 9:16 AM

Wow. I didn’t notice this at first. Are you serious?

And if so, what are you smoking so I can try some?

This is a great characterization of the show. Matt Groeing can’t produce an original thought if the DNC doesn’t hit him in the head with one.

Esthier on November 6, 2006 at 12:47 PM

retired on November 6, 2006 at 12:46 PM

Baseball ended early this year. Fox could have moved the episode up if it wanted to but decided to do otherwise.

I don’t disagree that the Simpsons is one of the better shows out there, but that’s more of a statement on the other shows out there than it is on the Simpsons themselves.

Esthier on November 6, 2006 at 12:49 PM

It got worse as the night’s animated line up went on, American Dad was a morality lesson about homosexuality. Guess which point of view the Republican was converted to?

dm60462 on November 6, 2006 at 3:01 PM

Guess which point of view the Republican was converted to?

Right. Stan (the man character) learned that being gay is not a choice because he couldn’t get arroused when trying to have sex with a man.

Is that considered proof now, saying some people aren’t arroused by people of their own gender?

I’m not going to say 100% that it is a choice, but I’m not buying that as the reason.

Esthier on November 6, 2006 at 4:03 PM

It just seems that if we take that route that we may as well begin saying that all sexual preference are present at birth, including s & m and orgies, because some people just aren’t turned on by their own pain or having more than one person involved in the sexual act.

Esthier on November 6, 2006 at 4:04 PM

I thought the Simpson’s episode was worth watching just for the Inkspots soundtrack at the end…

dcs2244 on November 6, 2006 at 5:15 PM

dcs2244-

A little hommage to Kubrick’s final music from “Dr. Stranglelove“, although I prefer the Inkspots’ “Java Jive” (Decca 78; A-Side “Do I Worry?“).

profitsbeard on November 6, 2006 at 7:11 PM